Author Topic: Shield usage on duel server  (Read 4980 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Shield usage on duel server
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2014, 01:36:50 am »
Why drop the shield if it's only going to take a few seconds to dispatch the axeman?

Duel with your shield if you want, people who are complaining are just insecure.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2014, 01:51:15 am »
Why drop the shield if it's only going to take a few seconds to dispatch the axeman?
- Not always a few seconds.  :oops:
- You're faster if you drop the shield instead of carrying it, leaving you extra time to pick it up and most likely reducing the time it takes to finish those nasty axe-wielders.
- Should you decide it's time to retreat, it's much easier to do so without shield. Note than with a shield on your back you have to first equip it and only then drop it, which takes time you're vulnerable for.

Offline imisshotmail

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 428
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2014, 04:47:47 am »
dueling with a shield is awful because if you play it right it's impossible to lose until the shield is broken, it just drags out every duel and is extremely boring to play against.

Offline Harpag

• Marshall
  • Renown: 914
  • Infamy: 263
  • jebać merców
    • View Profile
  • Faction: UIF
  • Game nicks: Harpag_the_Grey
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2014, 01:13:21 pm »
+1
I'm using shield on duel for the same reason, from what twohander uses 2h and not a polearm, and archer shoot with a bow and not with crossbow ... but yeah,  if I duel, mostly with 2h alt.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Veniathan

• Count
  • Renown: 213
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hey nigga your lance is 10 meter long or something
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
  • Faction: Kievan Rus
  • Game nicks: Zvonimir_of_Rus
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2014, 05:48:52 pm »
It isn't really as though using a shield in a duel makes you bad. I'd say that someone using a shield in the duel server is more likely to be bad than someone that does not, but that is a moot point.

The real problem is that dueling a shielder is almost always fucking boring as all hell. However, this shouldn't be a problem for anyone either. If I was in the duel server and I saw you there dueling with a shield, I'd just not duel you. I wouldn't talk shit (probably) or fuck with you. I just wouldn't duel you because I wouldn't really find it fun.

If the server was nearly empty and I wanted to duel, I'd maybe ask you to drop the shield so we could fight, but I'm not going to go apeshit if you didn't want to.

(click to show/hide)

Are you NA Player? EU has lots of really good shielders who could wreck your ass in a few seconds. Please, consider it. Simply because you use a shield doesn't mean you're bad player. I use it for banner, nudge, and pissing off 2handers because the game is filled to the brim with them.

It's the same as crossbowmen and archers. Difference? Small, just different gameplay. There are lots of 2h players who suck really badly, they rely on spamming or crushthrough. And there are also lots of shield players who suck (Huskarl Shield crutchers who just hold right mouse button and never attack) etc.
I duel 1vs1 horse vs horse. Dude have nigga long lance that have 10 metres long or something.

Many time i can see as people use this script where horse just standing on 2 feets and does "yhohohohoh".

Offline Auphilia

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 190
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2014, 06:58:57 pm »
I'm almost always a cavalry player so when I go into duel with 7-8 riding and champion horses that I can't use (as no one will duel cavalry), and end up going on foot and also putting away my shield for some people, effectively making my build level 20 in comparison to their level 30s. I'm not complaining.

Anyways Phew, play your build and do what you want, just don't complain in here when you are guilty of the same shit as everyone else. You wouldn't duel me when I was on a horse. You refused to fight me without shields. Then when I beat you with shields, you came back with an axe lol.  :rolleyes:

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2014, 07:15:20 pm »
You wouldn't duel me when I was on a horse. You refused to fight me without shields. Then when I beat you with shields, you came back with an axe lol. 

You must have me confused with someone else.
-I always accept cav duels, because I still haven't figured out how to roll consistently and need the practice
-I always have an axe secondary equipped on all servers, so I wouldn't "come back with" one

I think I remember fighting you though. Do you wear Palace Guard armor? I think you fall into the category of "players that perform better without a shield than with". I'm not in that category; no reason to hate about it. I'll put the shield away when dueling friends, but against people I don't know I play my class.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2014, 09:41:24 pm »
Are you NA Player? EU has lots of really good shielders who could wreck your ass in a few seconds. Please, consider it. Simply because you use a shield doesn't mean you're bad player. I use it for banner, nudge, and pissing off 2handers because the game is filled to the brim with them.

It's the same as crossbowmen and archers. Difference? Small, just different gameplay. There are lots of 2h players who suck really badly, they rely on spamming or crushthrough. And there are also lots of shield players who suck (Huskarl Shield crutchers who just hold right mouse button and never attack) etc.

Yes, I'm an NA player, although I do rarely play these days.

All I meant to claim is that in NA Duel, if a player is using a shield, he is not likely to be very good. Certainly, there must be more than one good shield-using duelists in NA, but they are rare. I've played in EU several times, both strategus battles and NA1, and I agree with you; there are shielders there that will kick my ass. It is tough to determine how much ping is a factor, but I've no doubt they would give me trouble even on equal footing with ping.

You must understand, I'm not saying that shield-using players are bad. Nothing like that at all.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Lord Voren

• Baron
  • Renown: 95
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • Game nicks: Marshal_Voren_of_Acre
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2014, 01:04:06 am »
Yes, I'm an NA player, although I do rarely play these days.

All I meant to claim is that in NA Duel, if a player is using a shield, he is not likely to be very good. Certainly, there must be more than one good shield-using duelists in NA, but they are rare. I've played in EU several times, both strategus battles and NA1, and I agree with you; there are shielders there that will kick my ass. It is tough to determine how much ping is a factor, but I've no doubt they would give me trouble even on equal footing with ping.

You must understand, I'm not saying that shield-using players are bad. Nothing like that at all.

Then what are you saying? This is a post to discus the biased of the duel server and the shit talking that comes from 2hs against non 2hs. So, in NA1 everyone duels everyone, stop shit talking, have fun, if it beats you, learn from it, do it again, and get better. Im tired of this Rock Paper Scissors were Paper bitchs about the OPness of Scissors. Learn how to fight against what beats you, grow as a player, not a flaming troll. Not saying you are, but this is for everyone. Grow as a person, grow as a player, grow as a community.   
'I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.' - Alexander the Great

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
  • Renown: 533
  • Infamy: 169
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shemaforash
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2014, 01:13:42 am »
(you know, the entire point of the game)

You should be punished for having a shitty attitude.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2014, 02:27:48 am »
Then what are you saying? This is a post to discus the biased of the duel server and the shit talking that comes from 2hs against non 2hs. So, in NA1 everyone duels everyone, stop shit talking, have fun, if it beats you, learn from it, do it again, and get better. Im tired of this Rock Paper Scissors were Paper bitchs about the OPness of Scissors. Learn how to fight against what beats you, grow as a player, not a flaming troll. Not saying you are, but this is for everyone. Grow as a person, grow as a player, grow as a community.

Are you kidding me?

Read my posts, m8. I specifically stated in my first one that I don't talk shit to anyone using shields in the duel server, nor should anyone. If someone has a problem with it, you can solve the issue before it really becomes one by simply not dueling the person. I was stating that to imply that there is causation between someone using a shield and being "bad" is incorrect. I say that there is often correlation between the two because many newer players will go to NA3 with a shield and perform poorly.

also lol @ "shit-talking from 2h against non-2h" is this nigga serious? a very sizable portion of the community will (jokingly or not) talk mad shit on people just for using 2h. Of course, I guess a large portion of the community will talk mad shit on anyone and everyone but themselves and their clique, so that is a moot point.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2014, 02:47:59 am »
I'm using shield on duel for the same reason...

No Harpag, w/e you tell yourself, you use a shield because you are truly fucking awful at this game. Im sure you are great at organising nice lists of cd-keys, asperging like mad over the strat map, but playing warband is not your strong suit. Infact its not even in your pack.

EDIT:

Mocking Noobag made me forget my point I was going to make in this thread :D

Shields are not for fighting with. They just are not. They slow you down, they are not reliable when it comes to block coverage, they just are not for fighting. If you use a shield in a 1v1 fight you are gimping yourself.

Shields are for putting between your pretty face and bundle of stickss cumming streams of arrows and bolts at you, that is their purpose. But: 1h is the least viable option for 1v1. Both polearms and 2h have longer, faster, more damaging weapons. Currently the most broken things ingame are curved 2handers and w/e the fuck that idiot Tydeus has done to polearm animations/speed. But if you ARE going to use a 1hander, always take shield skill, being able to run straight for ranged fucks is priceless. But you also gotta make sure you rebind "Drop shield" to something convenient.

Anyone with anything even vaguely axe shaped comes my way I drop my shield, because I value it too much to use in melee.

As for dueling: if people are giving you shit about what you are using, press ESC, player list, muted, done, happydays.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 02:57:30 am by BlindGuy »
I don't know enough

Offline Harpag

• Marshall
  • Renown: 914
  • Infamy: 263
  • jebać merców
    • View Profile
  • Faction: UIF
  • Game nicks: Harpag_the_Grey
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2014, 03:00:17 am »
+1
Don't even try trolling me about my skill lel - I'm very relaxed nab  :mrgreen:

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2014, 03:02:51 am »
Don't even try trolling me about my skill lel - I'm very relaxed nab  :mrgreen:

I couldn't troll you about your skill lvl: you cannot point and laugh at something that doesn't excist.
I don't know enough

Offline Lord Voren

• Baron
  • Renown: 95
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • Game nicks: Marshal_Voren_of_Acre
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2014, 03:22:38 am »
+1
Get out of here Eu guy, dont bring your drama to our shit. This is about dues and shields, not cock measuring....
'I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.' - Alexander the Great