Author Topic: Shield usage on duel server  (Read 5367 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Shield usage on duel server
« on: October 10, 2014, 06:37:55 pm »
+18
I can only tolerate endless HA delayfests on Battle for maybe 30-45 mins at a time, and NA siege is always empty now, so I frequently pop over to the duel server just so I can actually engage in melee combat (you know, the entire point of the game). I don't initiate ranked duels, I don't care about epeenery, I don't trash talk, I don't make excuses when I lose, I don't mind getting crushed by superior players; it's just a place to have some quick fights and have fun.

I have 7 shield skill and rely heavily on the neutral shield nudge mechanic, so I usually duel with a shield (the little 3kg Knightly Kite, so it's not even a durable shield). It's how I play my character on other servers, so it's how I play my character on duel server; when I'm playing on my 2h character, I duel with a 2h weapon.

However, I'd say about a quarter of the players I duel spew vitriol about shield usage on the server, like how I'm clearly a garbage player for using one etc. I won't continue to duel people after they insult me, which frequently results in them harassing me nonstop in chat and/or following me around being a dick.  Shields clearly aren't some kind of "I win button" for duel (I don't see anyone on the NA top 25 duelist list that duels with one), and I notice when dueling other shielders with/without their shield that it is typically more of a liability than an asset (slows you down, more susceptible to block stun and kicks, worse melee coverage, inability to tap block twice within a short period of time, etc.) It's a risk/reward proposition just like kicks, nudges, or stabs, yet people are much less apt to complain about those.

Anyway, my request is this: If you don't like dueling someone that has a shield, STFU and bring an axe next time, or just swing around the shield/kick like the good duelists do. And chill with the elitism about what you consider "real" dueling.

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
Re: Shield usage on duel server
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 06:40:52 pm »
+2
honestly if you duel in this game and take it even 1% seriously you're a piece of outdated dinosaur shit that thinks itself hot but really it is fucking cold and fossilizing a hundred feet under the ground while the rest of the world goes on flying planes, and driving cars, and making shitty christopher nolan movies, etc

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 06:45:07 pm »
+41
Leave the dinosaurs out of this man.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 06:46:42 pm »
Yea, I generally put a shield away for 1 vs 1 fights aswell. Not so much cause of the liability but to train myself in the art of shieldless 1h. Cause getting rekt by archers at the end of the round cause you wasted your shield on perfectly manually blockable swings is bad practice. Just get an axe and break that shit, not that hard. Died once cause you dont know how to counter shields? Respawn with an axe and win. Simple. Yea, but I suppose the shielder shittalking is more related to simple elitism rather than issues with countering.

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 06:52:23 pm »
Leave the dinosaurs out of this man.

fuck the dinosaurs egotistical fucking douchebags walking around so tall strutting like they're the fucking best, think theyre so fucking cool, well you're not, you're fucking extinct, kiddo

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 06:52:50 pm »
+9
I suppose the shielder shittalking is more related to simple elitism rather than issues with countering.

My theory is that it's mostly tweens just acting like tweens. Kaoklai is the worst sh!t talker of all, and he's a tween. Grown men judge their self-worth on their contributions to society, not video games.

EDIT-The saddest indictment of Kaok is how he showed up to minus my OP within seconds of this post. That means he is sitting in his Pre-Algebra class with his phone under his desk hitting refresh on a forum search for "Kaoklai" all day.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 08:13:21 pm by Phew »

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 06:57:03 pm »
+4
fuck the dinosaurs egotistical fucking douchebags walking around so tall strutting like they're the fucking best, think theyre so fucking cool, well you're not, you're fucking extinct, kiddo

Settle down. Dinosaurs are awesome and you know it. You're just jealous because they're so much cooler than you'll ever be. They've got museums dedicated to them, what do you have eh? Just your school pics on your mom's fridge.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 07:19:55 pm »
I don't see anyone on the NA top 25 duelist list that duels with one

As I am sure you are well aware, the "Top 25 NA Duelists" list is really only a measurement of how much someone cares about his epeen/how sad their real life is. It barely, if at all, relates to actual dueling skill. That said, your point still stands, for whatever it's worth.

Basically, in this day and age where everyone can manually block pretty much 98% of swings, bringing a shield to a duel is only a liability for the person bringing it. Screw the crybabies that say otherwise.

/thread
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 07:43:27 pm »
As I am sure you are well aware, the "Top 25 NA Duelists" list is really only a measurement of how much someone cares about his epeen/how sad their real life is.

No argument here; one could rise near the Top 10 on that list by only dueling peasants playing cRPG for the first time. I should have said that I can't think of any great duelists that become more potent when they equip a shield.

Offline Blackbow

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 282
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murcs
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 08:18:36 pm »
+1
remove neutral nudge on shielders
just give them bash

every classe have only one nudge so ...
sheilders already op enough with stab and their 1h who have same reach as 2h
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 08:20:31 pm »
remove neutral nudge on shielders
just give them bash
every classe have only one nudge so ...

Eh? Every class has neutral nudge. Shield isn't even the best one (1h takes that honor).

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 08:21:29 pm »
+1
Something tells me, those are the same people that complain about using knockdown in duels.

(click to show/hide)

They are mad cuz bad, ingore them. Or duel them for 1 million gold if they insist on shittalking.

Offline Crob28

• Count
  • Renown: 247
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 08:22:52 pm »
Meh if ur not a shielder and you can't beat a shielder 1v1.... L2P

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 08:37:57 pm »
Meh if ur not a shielder and you can't beat a shielder 1v1.... L2P

That's a little extreme; shields have their benefits/drawbacks, but it's not like equipping one suddenly makes a good player terrible.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 10:26:32 pm »
+3
and making shitty christopher nolan movies, etc

You crossed the line there