Poll

Restore the DTVirgin-era maps?

Bring back all the maps!
50 (59.5%)
Bring back all the maps but gimp them so they're no longer abuseable as hell (nerf huts, fences et ceatera)
16 (19%)
Bring back most of the maps except for the most abused ones!
13 (15.5%)
DTViscount is better.
5 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author Topic: Bring back old DTVirgin maps  (Read 9845 times)

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
  • Renown: 1253
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • EX Head of EU and NA admin teams
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
  • Faction: Stromgarde
  • Game nicks: Uthyr Pendraeg, Uthyr, mr fucking dtv hero admin, Stromgarde_Uthyr_Pendraeg
  • IRC nick: Something along those lines above
Bring back old DTVirgin maps
« on: September 13, 2014, 05:29:22 pm »
+47
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

They've been removed in order to reduce the griefing/abuse of rooftops/huts/haystacks/fences which made dumb AI stuck and "defencless" to attack from behind, by ranged or by long weapons. Also allowed for players to hold an unreachable position where they couldn't be hurt by melee enemies, and abuse the then-invincible 10+ shieldskill people.

• There are no more invincible shields, so that problem solved itself
  • Make more gaps in already-existing fences to make it harder to defend them, but still possible
  • Make some of the rooftops accessible to a certain point by the bots, so they could still catch some players up there if they are unaware

I don't like the new DTV. I'm not saying the age of abuse and fence-camping was good, but for the love of god, most of those new maps just SUCK, and since you play only one run on them before they change, it makes it feel... dull. And boring, and you quit after a short while.
"OH HEY LOOK WHAT A NICE MAP WITH THOSE RUI-" Aaaand it's changed.

DTV used to be a gentle entry for any new cRPG player who wanted to improve himself by fighting bots in a battle-wannabe gamemode without getting constantly destroyed. Now it's just a 80% bad maps 20% grind maps with try-hards making shieldwalls and full-plated maul spammers crushing everything. New maps are all small, tight, and in no way even ALIKE the battle (like DTVirgin used to be) or siege (DTVillage), they're just a mindless "charge them or shieldwall" repeating patterns of 1-way corridors, where cavalry can only play their class for the 1st wave of each round, and archers are only useful for 10 seconds untill bots clash with the shieldwall.

It used to be a relaxing gamemode for people to chillout, have some fun slaughtering bots and enjoying themselves, now it's just a mad spam-fest in tight maps that look awful and take away a lot of freedom old villages offered.

There are many old maps that allowed players to have fun, use tactics, and NOT only rely on bad AI. Bring them back, and server will return to it's constant 15 players minimum state, not the 2/30 we see today and then 32/30 when a grinder map is up. :(
People say that new maps provide challenge and aren't as easy as the old ones. Well, sure they do provide challenge, but didn't the old maps do the same? They also allowed for much more improvisation andfun  :rolleyes:

Other suggestions are welcome, please discuss if all maps should be re-added (except for the most abused ones, like Istiniar or Yaragar), or should more of them be re-considered and a compromise reached by adding only some of them which were fine (like Chide, Amashke)

EDIT: Add more gaps in fences, bring huts/haystacks to ground level, that is also a viable solution to the unreachable places problem.

TL;DR Most of current DTV maps are bad and kill DTV, bring back old maps from DTVirgin mode, either most of them or only selected few
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 02:15:02 pm by Uther Pendragon »
Nemo prudens punit, quia peccatum est, sed ne peccetur.
I (used to) manage character issues, reverting, restoring and fixing related mistakes and some other stuff. Feel free to message if you encounter a problem.
He's not the hero DTV deserves but he's the one they need.

Offline SIrCampALot

• Knight
  • Renown: 60
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • I'm a really angry Farmer!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: DRO
  • Game nicks: DRO_AangryFarmer_SirCampALot or something with A_..._Farmer_...
Re: Bring back old DTVirgin maps
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 05:47:14 pm »
I don't know if this had to be posted in 'Scene Editing' but I agree they were really great.
After a whole weekend playing cRPG with my clan mates:

Ey bro check this out or this man!

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • Renown: 273
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusader_Alliance
  • Game nicks: Templar_Viriathus
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 05:51:45 pm »
Pendragon, i dont believe they gonna change DTV again.

Offline Dupre

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 825
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: DoV
  • Game nicks: Dupre, Sentri
  • IRC nick: Nashringa
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 07:56:10 pm »
+1
I really miss the old dtv. Pleeeaase change it back!
Steam: ajkretchmer

Offline StonedSteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 400
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 07:56:36 pm »
+11
DTV used to be amazing, ive met my best crpg friends there, and had my most memorable moments theres. DTV was thee perfect place for new players to go and hang out and ask questions, there was actually time to chat back then.

FIPS you really REALLY dont understand the damage you have done to NA. NA doesnt get many new players, and without DTV they have no where to go and learn the game without being frustrated 24\7. It was a relaxing place to meet other new players and get advice from old players.

People on battle just dont have the same time to sit around and answer questions, and new players are simply victims on NA 1 \ 2 they dont really stand a chance. I am one of thee VERY VERY few NA players that started playing a yr ago and still remain, I WOULD NOT BE HERE IF NOT FOR DTV.

I learned the swings and the timing on DTV, got my first lp on DTV, learned most of what i know about the game, the multi system, the retirement system, everything i know now about CRPG, i learned in the fun filled chat room that was old DTV.

I was just on the new DTV the other day, amazingly there was 12 people on ( a huge number for NA these days ) We all tried hard, couldnt even get back ninjas ( weeboos used to be my fav rnd ) about 3 maps in there is a map where bots spawn at a fence line, well one of them spawned BEHIND the fence line, and with a invisible wall, and NO archers, we couldnt even reach him...and everyone left the server.

I could go on and on and on, this isnt the first time me and FIPS have started arguing over old dtv vs new dtv, basically i get the same answer i get from tydeus when asking about valor....QQ more, and like i could do better...sigh

chadz, you have put the mod is some very bad hands man, not a good look for donkey crew, not a good look for M:BG.
I REMEMBER PLAYING IN RAIN
THROUGH THE NIGHTFALL WITH FOG
THAT CLOGGED UP OUR EYES
BUT IM MORE HORRIFIED OF A MOD
I NO LONGER RECOGNIZE

Offline Battlepriest

• Scene Manager
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • hi how are you doing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: hesse
  • Game nicks: hesse_judie, skot_judas
  • IRC nick: sweet potato
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 08:32:11 pm »
+5
i've been complaining about this ever since the first day it happened

tell shik to bring back vivi too, i feel ashamed to fight for someone who doesn't lose clothes as they take damage

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
  • Game nicks: Uthyr Pendraeg, Uthyr, mr fucking dtv hero admin, Stromgarde_Uthyr_Pendraeg
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 11:17:39 pm »
i've been complaining about this ever since the first day it happened

tell shik to bring back vivi too, i feel ashamed to fight for someone who doesn't lose clothes as they take damage

I think it's better with the viscount, maybe he isn't as charming as Vivi but at least it limited the rape talk that took 90% of the chat whenever a round was lost in DTVirgin
Funny first few times, boring next couple dozens, annoying the following hundreds of cases :?

Pendragon, i dont believe they gonna change DTV again.

What does it hurt to try? Shouldn't a gamemode be what players desire it to be in terms of fun and gameplay instead of what moderators and map-makers see as "rules abiding and unabuseable"?

It is hard to make a gamemode with warband AI that would have 0 abuse of any sorts, but it shouldn't be reached at the cost of fun :(
I (used to) manage character issues, reverting, restoring and fixing related mistakes and some other stuff. Feel free to message if you encounter a problem.

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 12:29:23 am »
+3
What Plumbo said - 100% accurate. And we've been saying this since it happened. Over and over.
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml

Offline Battlepriest

• Scene Manager
  • cRPG Player
  • hi how are you doing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 08:10:03 am »
+1
I think it's better with the viscount, maybe he isn't as charming as Vivi but at least it limited the rape talk that took 90% of the chat whenever a round was lost in DTVirgin
Funny first few times, boring next couple dozens, annoying the following hundreds of cases :?

I don't understand how people can annoy you in chat. Just mute them ingame. Or like, you know, do what I do and ignore it. A few jokes won't harm anyone, and why sacrifice the enjoyment of others just so you won't be bothered by a few lines on text that don't even obstruct your vision?

Plus, I don't know what you're talking about. I think maybe 30% of anything said when a round is lost in dtvirgin is about rape, and there's also the 30% chance of anyone saying anything too. And I've been playing ever since it was dtvillage.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 08:14:03 am by Battlepriest »

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 08:42:52 pm »
I don't understand how people can annoy you in chat. Just mute them ingame. Or like, you know, do what I do and ignore it. A few jokes won't harm anyone, and why sacrifice the enjoyment of others just so you won't be bothered by a few lines on text that don't even obstruct your vision?

Plus, I don't know what you're talking about. I think maybe 30% of anything said when a round is lost in dtvirgin is about rape, and there's also the 30% chance of anyone saying anything too. And I've been playing ever since it was dtvillage.

I didn't say it annoyed me, I couldn't care less, it's just that Fips stated it once as a partial reason of change from Vivi to Viscount, to minimize the "childish comments", dumb in my opinion since now from rape jokes we went to homo-rape jokes, but whatever. :|

I just want open maps back, 's all :(

Offline Battlepriest

• Scene Manager
  • cRPG Player
  • hi how are you doing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 12:08:16 am »
I didn't say it annoyed me, I couldn't care less, it's just that Fips stated it once as a partial reason of change from Vivi to Viscount, to minimize the "childish comments", dumb in my opinion since now from rape jokes we went to homo-rape jokes, but whatever. :|

FUCKING SHIT FIPS ARE YOU KIDDING ME GODDAMNIT NOW THERE'S A GAY FACTOR TO THE JOKES

Offline ARN_

• Duke
  • Renown: 605
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Kalmarunionen_Arn
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 12:17:46 am »
YES BRING OLD DTV BACK HAD SOME OF OMY BEST TIME IN CRPG THERE AND I CAN'T PLAY THIS NEW SHIT!

DOWN WITH THE TYRANNY OF FIPS
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:11:55 am by ARN_ »
'You think you tell us what we do?'
'We not here for you entertainment'.
Eastern European sportsmanship 2014

Offline Thorvic

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 21
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ordre de l'Étoile
  • Game nicks: OdE_Thorvic
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 12:20:23 am »
Blame Fips.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 12:24:50 am »
It is signed, I can only approved. Get my +1 Uther, DTV wasn't that kind of industrial shit for XP. Fips made it become like strat, where plated tryhards with mauls stand behind a shieldwall, and destroy their left mouse button to milk XP. I wish old maps could return, with less bots, and more importantly, MORE FUN.

Offline Thorvic

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 21
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ordre de l'Étoile
  • Game nicks: OdE_Thorvic
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 12:40:25 am »
+5
Quality thread, totally agree about this suggestion :)

It was the good old times : huge plains, steppes, with the feeling to move freely as you wanted *nostalgy* *tears*

In the new one, we just feel (as player) like stupid sheeps moving in unrealistic fences, glitching as hell with invincible shieldwalls. There is no fun there, the amount of maps is way too low and no one likes them.

Well, Istiniar, Yaragar and some others were kinda good (too good maybe) about XP, but nowadays, with the large amount of new waves / bots by waves, it would add a lot of difficulty to the game mod :)