Author Topic: Twohanded is so unrealistic  (Read 5582 times)

Offline McCart

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Twohanded is so unrealistic
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2011, 02:48:59 am »
relly? But i shuld be abel to hit you befor you sving a 2 time right??
depends on your footwork.

Offline Angoman

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Angoman, THUD, Armruster
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 03:11:25 am »
We are talking about outspamming bihanders or even katanas, right?
Outspamming isn't the right way when used as main tactic.

You as a shielder -assuming you aren't some uber skilled veteran who's able to block manually- are in advantage when fighting a bihand user.
Your opponent has to block every of your blows manually, you don't.
Your shield enables you to choose the fightingground -in most encounter- block some swings and head into open space.
Don't try to block your opponents blows there, though you can do this more easily than him when necessary, evade them, dance around your opponent and hit him when your not in front of him, when his blow passed you.
That's easy when hes a tincan and bloody hard when hes a (skilled) ninja.
Keep athletics high, then you are fast enough to get into range to make a hit and get out of range before he recovers.
Also remember you got a shield, you don't need other heavy armour.

But be aware, this applies for the average "I'm a dangerous samuraiknight"-Spamnoob.
If you encounter someone who begins to block your blows, then you'll die.
Not due to his super fast spamming, but due to your lack of skill.
With a decent weapon, a dedicated 1h build and without shield you would be faster than him.
But this implies the necessity of manual blocking.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:12:26 am by Angoman »
Hit people and take their stuff!

Offline Torak

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 5
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninjas
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Torak, Ninja_Ice_style, samuria_Torak
  • IRC nick: Ninja_Torak
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 03:17:11 am »
you are so right :) when i started this topic i was a little angry :P i had bean stuken down like 6 times in a row :P

but you are right some i can take and some i can't :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 04:58:31 am »
But this implies the necessity of manual blocking.
Along with taking the self-nerf of shorter range, higher chance to be "stunned" when you block and pitiful damage in comparison.  I'm not saying it doesn't work, I love dueling people 1h no shield (it's probably the most skill-intensive form of melee combat there is), however you are putting yourself at just about every disadvantage you could have.  Typically as a 1h/shielder you will have lower stats than a 2her who only needs PS, ATH, WM.  Thus half his skill points can be converted.
Shielder needs to add the shield skill on top of that, which gives you 33% less possible skill points to convert.  Not a huge deal, but it is a factor.

Still, most 2hers can't fight worth crap either and simply rely on spam spam spam so your chances in a melee duel vs a 2her while using a 1her aren't that bad.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2011, 05:14:59 am »
I play polearm/thrower with a shield.  My stat and skill points are all evenly divided.  I'm versatile, but 1H without shield are actually the people that give me the most trouble.  They'll attack so much faster than me and often step inside my range to do it, too.

Offline Trout4711

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: Too many. Fucking Alt-titis
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2011, 09:13:52 am »
Those are ultra light fencing  swords built for fast moving competition, not for battle.  And even if they weren't, don't confuse real life with video game balance (except for maybe things which rely upon the laws of physics).

You are wrong - those swords are in form and weight very close to historic swords. The only difference is, that the blade is more flexible than the blade of a fighting sword to prevent injuries (you can see that everytime they do a thrust).

There were many different types of swords and fencing styles used throughout the centuries. Those shown in the video are replicas of the "langes schwert" and the fencing style is based on the medieval fencing books of Liechtenauer and was made for fighting without armor ("Bloßfechten"), so there is not really any point in using big heavy blades (a sword is no cudgel you know). The words in the video still have a weight of 2 kg, and 2 kg of sharpened steel *will* fuck you up.

Also, there is an unending variety of swords which all are all just called "longsword" nowadays. The swords form changed with the quality of the available materials, the developing skills in producing them, the region and timeframe they were produced in, the amount and quality of armor available and so on...

Also: don't base your knowledge of swords on what you see in movies - it makes you look stupid.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:47:17 am by Trout4711 »

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2011, 01:53:19 pm »
The simple reason for this is ... 2h weapons have more damage.
Their swings aren't faster but you can speed them up by turning into them, which lowers damage. And since 2h have more damage, which is even more exagerated by all the boni you can stack, they can be speed up much more, to the point that an imperfectly done counterattack will always fail. I don't have problems counterattacking with 1h normally, but getting damage is kind of hard that way.
Also, this speeding up is best done with movement, since that adds damage to compensate, and shield slows you down.
But, this is an important balance consideration - if 2h has to block (this includes feints, spinthrusts, sudden "lunges", rythm changes, as well as fighting against multiple enemies), and have a high risk to be killed by ranged weapons, he must have much higher killing potential. There are some things I don't really like at the system, but just saying, swinging my staff without pause is my impenetrable steel wall.

Good techniques for shield users seem to be to wait behind your shield until a clear opportunity arises and pressure them when you have that chance. Also, fight tactically, engage throwers and pikemen when you can, these could kill the twohander that will kill the entire enemy team, and you will have little problem with them, just let one or two enemy twohanders whack at your shield for 30 seconds and they won't be able to kill anyone ... you may not see that on the scoresheet, but you might just have won the round.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:55:17 pm by EponiCo »

Offline KingBread

• Earl
  • Renown: 445
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: KingBread
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011, 03:20:37 pm »
Is it just me ho gets relly angry that you can't strike back at on a twohanden fighter even if you block whit the shield the speed is the same and even if you don't block the blows a twohanded sword is heavy and must take time to recover befor the next blow not like it is now when they swing it around like a stick
Yes it's very realistic that people are recovering after a hit ! chadz should add recovery after walking also and add healers(so you can recover faster) and dragon riders(so you can recover dragons)  in other case At fifteen, I had the will to  learn ; at thirty, I could stand ; at forty, I had no  doubts ; at fifty, I understood the heavenly Bidding ;  at sixty, my ears were opened ; at seventy, I could  do as my heart lusted without trespassing from the  square.

Offline audax

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011, 06:14:18 pm »
My tactics to run into them so they can't swing. Just ran in their sword, shield up. After he glances from you shield, slash his face with an axe. Works ok, even against ninja-builds.

And you don't need a fast weapon for that, my heavy throwing axe is sufficient for that ;)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2011, 09:34:04 pm »
Actually, it's the opposite. You can recover from a shield way faster than from air: it's harder to pull back a sword in mid-swing than using the bouncing effect from a hit. Of course this is not true if the weapon cuts into a shield and gets stuck, but that feature is not implemented, and wouldn't happen with these shields either way: almost all of them have steel edges.

This is only true if the sword hits at a good angle and the 2her actually expects the bounce. Otherwise it can easily cause the 2her to lose balance, so that the shielder can get a quick stab in. On the other hand, really hard swings from a 2h sword at a shield can also put the shielder out of balance.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?