Author Topic: Twohanded is so unrealistic  (Read 5349 times)

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Twohanded is so unrealistic
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 11:56:07 pm »
What some shielders don't understand, is that they can easily push through the first ranks without getting hit, then turn around and do some swings on the way back. This not only gets you a kill or two, but it also disrupts enemy formations, so that following teammates can get some blows in. The best formation out of a siege tower would be 3-4 shielders followed by 2h. Shielders push through enemy ranks without striking, 2h kills those who turn around. Then shielders turn around and kill those who are still facing the 2h.

The problem here are the teammates. Quite often they just watch you die.

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 11:57:18 pm »
What some shielders don't understand, is that they can easily push through the first ranks without getting hit

Definite advantage, for more reasons than you stated.  The other day I was on that new underground maze-like map and the enemy team was doing absolutely nothing but camping a single room with a line of melee at the entrance and tons of archers lining a balcony.  (It was incredibly lame, and they whined like crazy when half our team decided to turn it around on them and camp our spawn.  Of course we lost, because only half our team did it.) 

The only round we won was when I said "Fuck this" and pushed through that front line with my shield.  I expected to get torn apart on the other side, but what I found was a mostly free route up the stairs to the balcony.  I exchanged a couple blows with people on the way, but strangely none of them committed to bringing me down.  I made it up the stairs, put away the shield, and took out a couple archers before they all pulled weapons and turned on me.  It was just enough relief to allow the rest of my team to pour into the room and emerge victorious from the chaos.

They didn't make that kind of mistake again.

Polearms are unrealistic.  The sweet spot on weapons like boulder on a stick should be further away.  If I was to work my way in and get close the sweet spot should not hit me.  I would simply be blocking the wooden party not the actual boulder therefore it should do less damage and not break through shields and blocks.

I use polearm, and I have lots of trouble with the sweet spot.  I get too close quite often and end up glancing.

Offline crojosip

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • *insert random quote here*
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Crojo
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 12:05:49 am »
what mala said, more than once I climbed a ladder with a couple of people behind me, using a shield i jump in between enemies and most of them turn to me, but my allies on the ladder behind me just stand there and watch.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 12:10:52 am »
what mala said, more than once I climbed a ladder with a couple of people behind me, using a shield i jump in between enemies and most of them turn to me, but my allies on the ladder behind me just stand there and watch.

Yeah, it happens to me all the time. What are they even doing on the ladder if they don't want to jump in? Waiting until the defenders die of starvation? What usually happens is that some thrower breaks their shield, then they either die or descend again. Or they get shot from the side by archers...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ishar_III
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 12:18:16 am »
dunno mate, 2handers can still move pretty fast IRL (in real life)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln94E9AGYTc

I think most people have something like this in mind as a standard medieval twohander:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un1M7xbCCIs
Or this, at the very least:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR1gCSO9NB0

To be honest though, I'd crap my pants if that thing came through a siege gate.
"Also, thank you for reporting your own post." Mylet

Offline CpTKiL

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 12:24:55 am »
dunno mate, 2handers can still move pretty fast IRL (in real life)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln94E9AGYTc

wow I didn't know it that fast lol

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 12:38:20 am »
I think most people have something like this in mind as a standard medieval twohander:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un1M7xbCCIs
Or this, at the very least:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR1gCSO9NB0

To be honest though, I'd crap my pants if that thing came through a siege gate.

In a fantasy world, yes that's what I expect a notable two-handed weapon to look like.

In real life, I think more of something like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claymore

I'd honestly be surprised if most people can't make the distinction.

Offline Abay_

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Abay himself!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Turks
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 12:44:23 am »
(click to show/hide)

agreed!

Offline audax

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 12:53:02 am »
Just to give you an impression of how one can handle a katana-like weapon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh2TNO5CGXQ

Btw, to address that "it's-only-sport!"-complaint: Only hits that would have been deadly count. And thats quite a punch :o
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:54:44 am by audax »

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 01:18:09 am »
Btw, to address that "it's-only-sport!"-complaint: Only hits that would have been deadly count. And thats quite a punch :o

You underestimate the effect of a fucking SWORD hitting a man. Even if it hits your armor, it's painful enough, especially with a twohander/blunt/axe. And successful thrust will get you out of fighting condition from a fuckin knife, let alone a sword. Yes, even if it hits non-vital parts of your body. You WILL NOT be able to block anything a trained and uninjured fighter can throw at you afterwards.
So even if it just knocks on your helmet a little bit, we're talking about 130+ cm of steel here.

Offline audax

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 01:31:16 am »
You underestimate the effect of a fucking SWORD hitting a man. Even if it hits your armor, it's painful enough, especially with a twohander/blunt/axe. And successful thrust will get you out of fighting condition from a fuckin knife, let alone a sword. Yes, even if it hits non-vital parts of your body. You WILL NOT be able to block anything a trained and uninjured fighter can throw at you afterwards.
So even if it just knocks on your helmet a little bit, we're talking about 130+ cm of steel here.
Yup, but that's the rule. Just wanted to prove the point that you can get swing a katana extremly fast with enough power to kill someone. :)

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 01:44:28 am »
Just to give you an impression of how one can handle a katana-like weapon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh2TNO5CGXQ

Baaaa. To much feint spam. :P

Offline Torak

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 5
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninjas
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Torak, Ninja_Ice_style, samuria_Torak
  • IRC nick: Ninja_Torak
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 01:52:08 am »
i feel we have gone out of topic here. The topic is about when a two hander hits your shield and recover as fast as when he hits air its not posible to do that becuas the power from the sword is hitting a solid object and if you do that it takes longer time to make a 2 hit. And we are talking about swors here not a axe ore a maul becus they would nock you to the ground half the times :)

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 01:59:32 am »
i feel we have gone out of topic here. The topic is about when a two hander hits your shield and recover as fast as when he hits air its not posible to do that becuas the power from the sword is hitting a solid object and if you do that it takes longer time to make a 2 hit. And we are talking about swors here not a axe ore a maul becus they would nock you to the ground half the times :)
Actually, it's the opposite. You can recover from a shield way faster than from air: it's harder to pull back a sword in mid-swing than using the bouncing effect from a hit. Of course this is not true if the weapon cuts into a shield and gets stuck, but that feature is not implemented, and wouldn't happen with these shields either way: almost all of them have steel edges.

Offline Torak

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 5
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninjas
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Torak, Ninja_Ice_style, samuria_Torak
  • IRC nick: Ninja_Torak
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 02:13:39 am »
relly? But i shuld be abel to hit you befor you sving a 2 time right??