Author Topic: CRPG is indeed dying.  (Read 21956 times)

Offline Enver

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: CRPG is indeed dying.
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2014, 02:25:05 am »
+1
There's actually been alot of marketing recently Joe. The crpg moddb page has over 1000 downloads of the game in less than a month and the crpg steam workshop has thousands of subscribers.

But out of these thousands of new players, less than 1% will stay.

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2014, 02:48:15 am »
There's actually been alot of marketing recently Joe. The crpg moddb page has over 1000 downloads of the game in less than a month and the crpg steam workshop has thousands of subscribers.

But out of these thousands of new players, less than 1% will stay.

Didn't know that. That's bueno. Though I'm not sure how that compares to the norm for healthy games.

I guess game play is a factor. It isn't an exactly easy mod for players to get into. The stats for characters for example. It requires forethought and planning. Its hard and weird.

The game is very hard to play, too. I tried to get my friend to play and he--Thunder_Dingo I think--just got murdered. Combat's tough.

strat doesn't count because its dead. The basics seem to make sense, but then they don't, and its not fun.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Tomas_Miles_again

• Earl
  • Renown: 317
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: None anymore
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2014, 02:57:55 am »
If there were more, smaller servers, you might get more new players staying, i.e. a 20 man under level 20 server etc.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2014, 10:24:36 am »
+12
Well, it's true there has been a decline in the last year, but with the recent drive by players to push cRPG on Moddb and Steam we've seen a rather large influx of new players. Since June the 19th we've had 3696 new accounts sign up (which is far far higher than we usually have). And the amount of active players is raising quite rapidly, currently sitting at 8.8k a month.

(click to show/hide)

I would say that cRPG is finally growing again. Now if you people can play nice for once and not scare away all these new players is whole other matter  :lol:
Monkeys!

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2014, 10:32:09 am »
[...]
I would say that cRPG is finally growing again. Now if you people can play nice for once and not scare away all these new players is whole other matter  :lol:
You should know better :D
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Herezy92

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Frog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Herezy
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2014, 10:49:20 am »
[...]
High athletic characters in full plate running around the map like the flash kills realism and its silly.[...]
U WOT M8.
I KEEL U IRL.  :lol:

Tbh the only reason I find why the mod is really dying is cause theres no influx of new players and theres nothing else but the first gen peasantstage mountain to blame for that. The grind from 1-31 is an absolute chore to do for the first time and other times its still annoying, but slightly less. Its basically what scares off im quessing atleast 80% of people who try the mod at first.
I agree with this.
Make the first generation starting at level 30 with 15k.
The peasants will mostly all retire at 31 to get their first loom. and so they will know the peasant feeling too.
BUT PLEASE, don't let new players starting directly by the peasant way ! This is the main reason why new players do not stay.

Another idea is boosting the xp income for the first generation. (something like perma x5 XP /(not gold))
So they will level up fast enough to see the difference, and will be enough motivated to continue ! :)

Offline STR_aD_Sargon_eqv

• Baron
  • Renown: 96
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2014, 11:29:11 am »
+1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ATTENTION, PUTINSIZE !
(click to show/hide)

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2014, 11:53:11 am »
+1
The sheer volume of level 33/34+ guys running around with full looms is probably the main issue for newbies. When I first started people were all at level 20-30 because they still wanted to retire and we didn't have clan armouries. They did have looms but I don't think there were so many, and if I found one on the ground I could keep it for next round if my team won.

Theres no reason to retire anymore and the people who do retire are newbies or people who don't care too much about winning. If you want looms the game forces you to play with a crappy character while the vets run around with lvl 35's and years of time spent honing skills. The bonuses from staying high level are too strong, especially if you mix in some ranged ability.

The other thing is that it used to be that ranged players were really weak in melee because they used Hammers and 1 handers werent so good. Now they have some amazing weapons with a very OP stab, and every single one can manual block so even a newbie against a ranged player will get destroyed either by a stray projectile or if he reaches melee range, against every single class

The skill level is probably higher now too, which is OK (except when it makes people too strong in too many areas), but we haven't had any diminishing effect on looms while the skill has risen, and the average level that a player has is increased considerably because people dont retire so much. Plus its easier to reach lvl 35 now because its double XP right, so its more of a goal for people who finished getting looms?

What I liked as a newbie though was taking part and trying to improve. Using team play and a bit of tactics to try to beat the odds and learning to be a better player. You can't really learn much by getting shot and say "oh I should have done this or that"..You basically have "I should have hidden for 90% of the round while other people play" or "oh I shouldn't have played this game, its not even about melee fighting". If a newbie dies in melee he can say "wow my blocking is bad" or "damn hes a good player i'll try to learn from him" etc.

Doubt I would see the point if there was an impossible hill to climb to reach end game like now, and especially if there was no way to have an advantage over any other class without playing like an FPS game. No newbie will play this as an fps, there are way better ones out there
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:59:23 am by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline KingBread

• Earl
  • Renown: 445
  • Infamy: 42
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: KingBread
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2014, 11:54:59 am »
+1
(click to show/hide)

All prais Panos i guess.

Also new players need to feel what is CRPG from beggining, so nudging them from rooftops, chambering their slow club attacks, focusing one peasant and killing him with ranged weapons everytime he spawns, shotting from balista and stuff is exactly what they need to endure if they are about to become a real men one day.

Offline Macbeth3

• Earl
  • Renown: 379
  • Infamy: 35
  • Meow? :3
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macbeth_Plisskin_TheCat Mordecai_Heller_TheCat
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2014, 12:19:17 pm »
+4
- Offensive, homophobic community

I'm Bi (so I'm a Homo) and I don't feel offended by the community :3

Hugs for everyone, *Meow* :3
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:22:44 pm by Macbeth3 »
*Meow* I'm a Cat.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2014, 12:24:55 pm »
+2
Make the first generation starting at level 30 with 15k.
The peasants will mostly all retire at 31 to get their first loom. and so they will know the peasant feeling too.
BUT PLEASE, don't let new players starting directly by the peasant way ! This is the main reason why new players do not stay.
I think this would work, but it would have to be implemented rather fast to affect all the new players joining during the Summer, vacation, Steam sales, increased mod exposition.

Have a few friends who've recently bought the whole MB pack, and we've played some Nappy and a bit of Native, but I know for sure they would break their necks on the initial peasant stage of cRPG (which is an utter waste of time for anyone). And yes, any of us love the mechanics so much we would go through near anything to learn the game, but there's nothing wrong with being accomodating to non-fanatics, too.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:28:32 pm by Angantyr »

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 01:17:48 pm »
+3
Please keep the "starting boost" thingies out of your suggestions, because it doesn't fit the whole goal of c-RPG. The key of this game is to born as a peasant, -which is the most enjoyable grind if you re new- , and to become a fearsome warrior. All the people I got in c-RPG learned blocking in less then 3 weeks , so it is not a big deal. So If we are going to make peasants start with level 30 then c-RPG would have no difference from Mercenaries mod.

Offline STR_aD_Sargon_eqv

• Baron
  • Renown: 96
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 01:18:01 pm »
I'm Bi (so I'm a Homo) and I don't feel offended by the community :3

Hugs for everyone, *Meow* :3

do ur wife know it?

Offline Macbeth3

• Earl
  • Renown: 379
  • Infamy: 35
  • Meow? :3
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macbeth_Plisskin_TheCat Mordecai_Heller_TheCat
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 01:18:33 pm »
do ur wife know it?

Ofcourse, and she's Bi herself.
*Meow* I'm a Cat.

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2014, 01:22:01 pm »
+13
Ofcourse, and she's Bi herself.

Being Bi is ez mode, doubling your chances to get laid.