Poll

Should there be a ranged cap???

Yes
No

Author Topic: ADD A FUCKING RANGED CAP ALREADY  (Read 23709 times)

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
Re: ADD A FUCKING RANGED CAP ALREADY
« Reply #315 on: July 11, 2014, 04:53:58 pm »
ad hominem nice

No, I think you need to check your latin, bro, because as I see it.

1/ This thread about capping the amount of ranged, not nerfing archers.

2/ I don't see any argument in your post, just you saying you can and will take the nerfs to archery.

3/ No-one is trying to counter what you saying, nor discount it

I literally just don't know who you are, that's all. I guess you are an NA archer, but since I've never been shot by you, how am I supposed to know? What's your lvl?
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 11, 2014, 04:56:12 pm »
i still stick with the fact Ranged is a part of the medival battle, so making a cap for it... well i dont know

The fact we need a cap for one type of class should speak volumes about the issue with cRPG meta gaming. People gravitate towards ranged as its so versatile and its a skill equaliser. If people are shield whoring you take an axe..too much cav you take a long polearm..too many 2 handers take ranged. Too much ranged? Take more ranged. You can take more shields but its still better to simply have more ranged as that deals damage. A shield is only a defensive item, like manual blocking. You can take cav maybe, but its very limited in which terrain its useful in, and its equally as good against melee and they don't want their horse to get shot by going to archer nests

Nerfing ranged probably won't change that key issue with the game. Making ranged harder to play (less of a skill equaliser), and less versatile (weaker against some classes) might help somewhat
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:02:11 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline bigsean

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Idlewild, BigSean, Tacabro
« Reply #317 on: July 11, 2014, 04:58:37 pm »
+1
No, I think you need to check your latin, bro, because as I see it.

1/ This thread about capping the amount of ranged, not nerfing archers.

2/ I don't see any argument in your post, just you saying you can and will take the nerfs to archery.

3/ No-one is trying to counter what you saying, nor discount it

I literally just don't know who you are, that's all. I guess you are an NA archer, but since I've never been shot by you, how am I supposed to know? What's your lvl?

guess you need this

/s

also

i cringed at "since i've never been shot by you" lmao

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 11, 2014, 05:15:09 pm »
guess you need this

/s

also

i cringed at "since i've never been shot by you" lmao

Whatever bud, when you decide to type logical sentences in english you can rejoin the discussion.

The fact we need a cap for one type of class should speak volumes about the issue with cRPG meta gaming. People gravitate towards ranged as its so versatile and its a skill equaliser. If people are shield whoring you take an axe..too much cav you take a long polearm..too many 2 handers take ranged. Too much ranged? Take more ranged. You can take more shields but its still better to simply have more ranged as that deals damage. A shield is only a defensive item, like manual blocking. You can take cav maybe, but its very limited in which terrain its useful in, and its equally as good against melee and they don't want their horse to get shot by going to archer nests

Nerfing ranged probably won't change that key issue with the game. Making ranged harder to play (less of a skill equaliser), and less versatile (weaker against some classes) might help somewhat

BUT HOW is the question Grumbs: I mean, there's historical accuracy: Milanese and Gothik are arrowproof IRL. But is that the best option? If I'm honest, armor balance is currently fucked also, with most armors above the 40-45 mark being given arbitrary numbers, and many very high tier armors that shouldn't be, tbh, considering their construction methods and materials, they should be alongside mailshirts. I really wouldn't mind a COMPLETE armor overhaul, with armors being rated by actual historical effect, and the plate armors having some more weight added, with difficulty and a lot of price added too. Currently I don't think upkeep is a real problem for anyone who isn't brand new. At least, it has never been an issue for me...ever. Infact the only times I even look at it is when stuff is repaired and I want to share my amusement with how little it costs with the server.

Do that, and make the plate armor what it was: proof against arrows: Sure a bodkin from a longbow can be made to penetrate plate a few MM when fired directly at the flatter sections: but its not like when you wear plate you wear it touching your naked skin, most times you have a shirt, then a padded akketon, some maille sections and then your plate ontop. Arrows were recorded to stick into milanese when fired from under 10 metres, but the wearer remained upright and unhurt. Look at battle of Verneuil: Lombard and Milanese mercenary cavalry, both the riders and the horses, were literally impervious to English longbow spam, the English had to win the day with the Poleaxe.

Then archers will cry: Oh I literally cannot hurt that guy: yeah, thats right, you can't. Tough shit. Only way for archers to hurt plated guys: sustained arrows to the head, each glancing but JUST managing 2-5 points of dmg.
I don't know enough

Offline Robert

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen_Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Scrumpy
  • IRC nick: Scrumpy
« Reply #319 on: July 11, 2014, 05:33:56 pm »
+1
 QUOTE   ---   ADD A FUCKING RANGED CAP ALREADY

YOU FUCKING TWAT PANOS, GET FUCKED  :rolleyes:

I'm archer btw  :D

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #320 on: July 11, 2014, 05:37:28 pm »
+5
Ask people promise to never play ranged,if they promise award them with a lp, and lock all the ranged skills.

Offline gallonigher

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Gallonigher
« Reply #321 on: July 11, 2014, 06:02:50 pm »

This is stupid.
If anything bows should be trended towards more similar damages and then archery damage globally nerfed.
Longbows are already extremely strong damage wise compared to the shortbows, and their slow speed and high accuracy meshes very well with high strength archer builds.

Also I don't even your last statement. Longbows are the most point-and-click of any of the bows, because they are the best suited for sitting back far away from combat and sniping.

There are far too many factors that need to be considered in bow draw strength, arrows used, and missile speed to standardize them; your counter-proposal is absolute nonsense.  It should take the strongest bow (bodkins only) to kill someone wearing the strongest armor.  Then it would actually be balanced.  As it is now, any wannabe archer with shit gear can get lucky with a single arrow and kill a lion.  The game has devolved into ranged shootout and those without can only dodge so many things at once.  Why should I be forced to play a shielder??

And don't fool yourself, all archery is "point-and-click" regardless of the bow being used.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 07:40:48 pm by gallonigher »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #322 on: July 11, 2014, 06:03:50 pm »
How about we have a proper team balance system so one team doesn't have 90% of the ranged players?  And then one step further, have a proper conquest game mode that allows all classes to do what they do best.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 11, 2014, 06:05:57 pm »
How about we have a proper team balance system so one team doesn't have 90% of the ranged players?  And then one step further, have a proper conquest game mode that allows all classes to do what they do best.

No, that would require thought and work, not something we are gonna see invested into crpg at this time.
I don't know enough

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #324 on: July 11, 2014, 06:10:01 pm »
+1
To remove click and shoot you could also add in another layer.. Possibly press x before you can draw the bow(much like couch but reversed, you need to be standing still for it to be able to be pressed), then aim and press E to release the arrow. Idk really, could work, could not. Idk  :mrgreen:
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline gallonigher

• Game Admin (trial)
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 11, 2014, 06:10:51 pm »
I wouldn't complain as much about archery or throwers if only there was a proper balancer in place to make sure that no one team had all the ranged players.

But that won't happen

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #326 on: July 11, 2014, 06:13:02 pm »
+12
To remove click and shoot you could also add in another layer.. Possibly press x before you can draw the bow(much like couch but reversed, you need to be standing still for it to be able to be pressed), then aim and press E to release the arrow. Idk really, could work, could not. Idk  :mrgreen:

how about, archers have to enter a 16 digit password before they're able to release arrows? :)
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #327 on: July 11, 2014, 06:13:59 pm »
+2
how about, archers have to enter a 16 digit password before they're able to release arrows? :)

For me that would be ideal, please add!  :wink:

Besides its only two actions, which isnt alot. (I assume?)

Come to a halt.
Press x, press lmb to take aim.
Release Normal lmb to fire.

Moving will undo the drawing.

Pressing e is indeed a bit of an overkill, but this is a way to make archers less legolas'ish.

In hindsight you are right, this IS infact too much for the average c-rpg player to remember.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:21:02 pm by Joseph Porta »
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline gallonigher

• Game Admin (trial)
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 11, 2014, 06:14:40 pm »
+2
give them a little mini-game they have to play every time they want to nock and draw an arrow  :D

Offline gallonigher

• Game Admin (trial)
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 11, 2014, 07:37:54 pm »
Anyone else not able to play?