Poll

Should there be a ranged cap???

Yes
No

Author Topic: ADD A FUCKING RANGED CAP ALREADY  (Read 23731 times)

Offline gallonigher

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Gallonigher
Re: ADD A FUCKING RANGED CAP ALREADY
« Reply #270 on: July 11, 2014, 04:14:12 am »
+5
I think only longbow+bodkin users should be able to deal any considerable amount of damage to players who are heavily armored; all the other bow/arrow combos need a damage nerf across the board

There are too many ranged players who cheapen the game with their artless point-and-clicking.  Go play another generic fps if that's how you're gonna game.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 11, 2014, 04:47:02 am »
Ranged caps, again.
(click to show/hide)

EDIT:
Back on topic: the volley idea is silly, archers fired in volleys historically, sure, but were talking several thousand archers. What happened in medieval field battles has little to do with what happens with 50 vs 50 crpg battle. IRL archery IS accurate, DOES do damage, and is fast to shoot and run away. Historical balance would be nice, IMHO, just because longbow would have massively increased misile speed, but what we need is ACTUAL balance. Simplest solution is to block access to all players to archery and crossbows untill they have a gen 16 character. That way they have to had played enough to apreciate that archery is a thing to do every now and then for a laugh, not to main to lvl 36 and just prove how broken the game balance is.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 04:54:04 am by BlindGuy »
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #272 on: July 11, 2014, 04:56:01 am »
+4
Archers in medieval times typically fired in volleys from behind their infantry.  They did not use guerrilla spec ops seal team 6 elf ranger tactics.

Uh, yeah, they did. Ever heard of a little thing called Robin Hood and his Merry Men? Learn your history, so embarrassing...

I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Mokou

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 11, 2014, 05:19:39 am »
+3
Feel like we're on the same page here, ranged should be a support/team class, not a 'hero' class.

What should be a "hero" class? Plate-wearing Two-handers? I think it's pretty silly to arbitrarily decide some builds should be able to solo extremely well and others should be locked into support roles.

Getting rid of very long/indefinite hold and tying accuracy penalties with a scaling damage penalty as well would be two nice steps before talking about stats. I find indefinite holding a somewhat broken mechanic, negating any sort of prediction factor. I also find decreases in accuracy (shooting while running/turning/holding bow too long) somewhat useless when there will be some randomization in movement of the opponent dodging (Edit: and effective range of course, but that's tied with missile speed as well). An additional damage penalty would provide more tangible feedback (and maybe a very slight bonus when timed perfectly). Not guaranteeing headshots on an unaware target is the only time where I see accuracy really being a prominent balance factor.

While I agree that some bows have too long a hold time, I don't think changing this would do much at all. Holding only negates the prediction factor at very close distances (essentially the distance where the arrow will hit the target before the target's hitbox can move out of the arrows path at normal movement speed... i.e. close enough that you do not have to lead the shot at all) because beyond that holding doesn't change the fact that the target could continue moving or switch direction and the arrow will miss. If you have to lead, you have to predict regardless of how long you can hold the shot--but I've gone off on a tangent from my original point.

I don't think lowering holding would do much because unless you're in that very short range scenario, most decent archers don't hold shots very long to begin with, unless you're trying to line up an extremely long distance shot on a stationary target, like another archer... Anyone who's played their archer build for a goodly bit of time knows about where to aim even before the shot and isn't going to spend a ton of time with the shot held trying to lead on a target 50, 75 yards away. They're going to lead and aim while drawing and then let off the shot as soon as they hit their top accuracy so that they can line up more shots. Holding shots at long range is just asking for the melee to get closer.

I think the one time I consistently hold shots is when facing down non-ranged cav. Because the horse hitbox is wide enough that accuracy means a lot less and they move quickly enough that getting off the second shot isn't possible anyway.

Just my $0.02.

I can honestly say as an Archer that there are times where there are too many ranged on the server. It's not just a melee issue, it becomes difficult to even be an archer because there are too many other ranged to have to deal with to carefully pick off enemies. But I don't think nerfing archery is the correct way to address the problem, because I personally don't think it's significantly imbalanced. Any build can seem too good when its population becomes disproportionate.  That's the nature of rock-paper-scissors balancing. If there were 15 cav on each team, battle would be suffering, if a large portion of the population are carrying shields, being ranged is depressing.

I would definitely support a set number of bows able to spawn per round based on the number of people on each team if it weren't for the fact that it would frustrating as all hell to jump on to battle and have five or six really awful archers playing and not be able to play my main.

Perhaps this is an issue that needs to be addressed and balanced via map structure? Implementing more cover, shifting flags away from open easy to shoot at locations, shifting the map rotation to favor maps  that aren't as open or don't have nice locations for ranged to sit and camp?

I think only longbow+bodkin users should be able to deal any considerable amount of damage to players who are heavily armored; all the other bow/arrow combos need a damage nerf across the board

There are too many ranged players who cheapen the game with their artless point-and-clicking.  Go play another generic fps if that's how you're gonna game.

This is stupid.
If anything bows should be trended towards more similar damages and then archery damage globally nerfed.
Longbows are already extremely strong damage wise compared to the shortbows, and their slow speed and high accuracy meshes very well with high strength archer builds.

Also I don't even your last statement. Longbows are the most point-and-click of any of the bows, because they are the best suited for sitting back far away from combat and sniping.

Simplest solution is to block access to all players to archery and crossbows untill they have a gen 16 character. That way they have to had played enough to apreciate that archery is a thing to do every now and then for a laugh, not to main to lvl 36 and just prove how broken the game balance is.

This is also stupid.
Archery is a good tool for new players to be able to actually live for a decent amount of time during rounds instead of walking into melee and getting completely wrecked by people with years of experience in fighting/blocking/chambering/footwork who are also on high level characters AND in full heirlooms. It gives newer players the ability to do a small amount of work for their team and also teaches them to watch how the battle flows, how teams are moving and shifting across the battlefield, and to keep track of cav and rogue players flanking.

The issue is not that there are dedicated archers or new archers it is that there are too many ranged in proportion to other builds.
Forcing people to level and retire their character a dozen times before they can even touch the build they want to play is idiotic and petty.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:24:24 am by Mokou »

Offline bagge

• King
  • Renown: 1056
  • Infamy: 275
  • cRPG Player
  • Duke of Poland
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: bagge
« Reply #274 on: July 11, 2014, 05:57:23 am »
+5
Reading this thread

I hope you guys get some sort of sticky balls deseases and smell like my armpits, sorry excusese for nolife fucking cunts you are.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #275 on: July 11, 2014, 06:30:38 am »
@Mokou

Exactly, that would weaken them when confronted with close-range encounters.

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
  • Renown: 533
  • Infamy: 169
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shemaforash
« Reply #276 on: July 11, 2014, 06:34:46 am »
this thread pops up every now and then and the answer to it is the same as it is every time, adapt or stop whining
You should be punished for having a shitty attitude.

Offline Mokou

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 11, 2014, 07:29:23 am »
+1
@Mokou

Exactly, that would weaken them when confronted with close-range encounters.

But is that really what people are complaining about?

It seems to me that the issue people have is with being bombarded with bolts and arrows at the beginning of rounds and in the middle of rounds when trying to fight other melee/get to archers/go someplace else in the map. That is--the problem people seem to be worked up about is that they can't get to the archers in the first place because they're continuously nailed by ranged before they get anywhere close due to an overpopulation of ranged characters. Changing holding isn't going to stop that much. Just make it easier to close in that last 20 feet or so if you manage to get all the way over to the archers alive.

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
« Reply #278 on: July 11, 2014, 07:34:15 am »
+2
It seems to me that influx of new players = ranged.

We've just hit a period where this is happening; I think the number of ranged will drop off as a) new players try other builds, b) get better at melee and get bored of ranged, or c) quit. Cos we all know mod is ded.
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 11, 2014, 08:50:58 am »
+2
lmao a random shitpost whine thread is already at 20 pages so everyone can input their Wise ADvice on how to nerf archery

You know I once or twice looked at forums for games like Chivalry Medieval Warfare (a fun game) and its exactly the same thing. Just massive shitposts of rage saying that "ranged FUndamentalliy will ruin the Melee Centric experience of this game, because melee can't hit them back.  Nerf. Them...." over and over

Don't twist your heads too much San and Tydeus, everything will just cause more bitching no matter what you do, it will never end, its a deep rooted insecurity/rage trigger that, understandably, most players will experience in a medieval combat game. And you know what? They should get pissed. I'm sure Count Jon Edwardfucker the Ninth would've raged too if in the middle of slaughtering peasants some dickhead with a sling brained him with a rock and he fell out of his saddle and got stabbed to death with pitchforks too.

I know I mostly just get annoyed at how battle mode promotes kiting from light ranged to stay alive all round, and scares cav away from charging archers due to survivability issues. Sweet sweet Strategus respawn system..
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Herezy92

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Frog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Herezy
« Reply #280 on: July 11, 2014, 10:06:04 am »
+2
The thread deviated from what we originally asked.

We are now speaking about nerfing the archer's class, which is not the current problem.

At start Panos asked a POP-CAP, not a NERF.

Why ?
Because they are not OP
They are just too many.

Which cause many bad effects. (Destroying the balance, the fun, players leaving, etc...)

(click to show/hide)

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #281 on: July 11, 2014, 11:15:54 am »
+9
Plus oned.

By introducing a fair balance system you could counter most of the current issues.

Yesterday for example, playing on eu1 - that one map with the huge wall in between 2 little islands....

Total pop: 60 players -

The enemy team: Archers: 15, crossbows: 7, throwers: 5, cavalry: 1

Our team: Archers 6, crossbows 7, throwers 4, cavalry: 7

So what to do?

1)Get up the wall, attacking their archers? NO! GETTING SHOT TO PIECES!

2)Staying down, trying to find cover? NO! FLAG SPAWNS ON TOP OF THE WALL!

3)Trying to reach the flag after it spawned? NOhoooooooo! (see 1) )

4)Wait for our Archers to kill theirs? NO! IF ONE OF OUR ARCHERS LEAVES THE COVER TO SHOOT THEM, HE'S BEING AIMED AT BY 4 OF THEIR ARCHERS --> the pure number of archers in their team basically just nullifies our archers.

5)Get a shield? NO! FLAGS SPAWN ANYWAY - NO CHANCE TO GET UP THE STAIRS, IF THERE'S ARCHERS SHOOTING YOU FROM BOTH SIDES.

6)Teamwork-rush the walls? NO! THEIR INFANTRY IS BLOCKING THE STAIRS WHILE THE RANGED CONFOUND EVERY ATTEMPT OF SOME MELEE ACTION BY INTERRUPTING ATTACKS, DAMAGING PLAYERS, RANDOMLY HEADSHOTTING THEM.

7)Wait until they're out of ammo? NO! 15x50(+) ARROWS AVAILABLE.

8)GTX? Yes.

It's not even the ammount, that's the real problem here. Nor is their damage or some other stuff - it's the balance, it's the maps, it's a flagsystem that doesn't work in a non frustrating way.

Period. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:19:24 am by Finuad »
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Inglorious

• Earl
  • Renown: 497
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • Courage is our shield
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Banana Republic / Chevaliers
  • Game nicks: IngloriouslyBad / Affordable Cavalry
« Reply #282 on: July 11, 2014, 11:30:51 am »
+5

1)Get up the wall, attacking their archers? NO! GETTING SHOT TO PIECES!

2)Staying down, trying to find cover? NO! FLAG SPAWNS ON TOP OF THE WALL!

3)Trying to reach the flag after it spawned? NOhoooooooo! (see 1) )

4)Wait for our Archers to kill theirs? NO! IF ONE OF OUR ARCHERS LEAVES THE COVER TO SHOOT THEM, HE'S BEING AIMED AT BY 4 OF THEIR ARCHERS --> the pure number of archers in their team basically just nullifies our archers.

5)Get a shield? NO! FLAGS SPAWN ANYWAY - NO CHANCE TO GET UP THE STAIRS, IF THERE'S ARCHERS SHOOTING YOU FROM BOTH SIDES.

6)Teamwork-rush the walls? NO! THEIR INFANTRY IS BLOCKING THE STAIRS WHILE THE RANGED CONFOUND EVERY ATTEMPT OF SOME MELEE ACTION BY INTERRUPTING ATTACKS, DAMAGING PLAYERS, RANDOMLY HEADSHOTTING THEM.

7)Wait until they're out of ammo? NO! 15x50(+) ARROWS AVAILABLE.

8)GTX? Yes.

I laughed quite a bit at this.

This thread in a nut shell

Offline Torost

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 11, 2014, 12:41:20 pm »
Ranged has always been "OP".. ever since cavemen starting throwing rocks .. and in its current form the longest range ever.. soldiers sitting on the other side of the world launching hellfires from predatordrones high up in the sky onto unsuspecting targets. Not fair!

But since crpg is a game and somewhat a historical simulator. Maybe we should maximize fun?
If ranged joy surpass their victims grief that it is a succes!
Utilitarianism always solves any problem. :D

Rangedfix Suggestion:

When running,drawing or releasing  the archer gets a small additive temporary wpf penalty. The wpf will trickle back to max again after small amount of time, if in a resting state, or walking. This will result in arrows starting of as accurate, and after a few releases or retreats lead to inaccurate arrows. Simulating battlestress. Ever watched  biathlon? Where the skiers slow down the pace before reaching the stands to have better aim?

This could be used for throwing and crossbows aswell.

Only works if stats are "malleable" ingame tho.

Offline Xiou

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templolz
  • Game nicks: Grubby_Fingers
« Reply #284 on: July 11, 2014, 02:04:33 pm »
(click to show/hide)

<puke_hard.gif>