Author Topic: 1 kill 53 deaths.  (Read 8593 times)

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
Re: 1 kill 53 deaths.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 06:44:35 pm »
In my opinion siege is the better option for newbs to get the basics. They will have 10-20 fights in one siege round while they probably only have 1-2 in battle.
It can give you some basic skills some good understanding of timing and reach of your preferred weapons and give you some better movement and a little bit blockskills.

To really be good at feinting, blocking you have (in my opinion) spend a lot of time on duell server.
You can´t learn blocking effectivly on battle or siege.

Battle on the other hand is best to train you awareness of the fights. You will always try to avoid horses dont crush into multiple enemies etc. cause then you have to wait.
You will learn which risks you can take and which are just stupid.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 06:56:01 pm »
In my opinion siege is the better option for newbs to get the basics. They will have 10-20 fights in one siege round while they probably only have 1-2 in battle.
It can give you some basic skills some good understanding of timing and reach of your preferred weapons and give you some better movement and a little bit blockskills.

To really be good at feinting, blocking you have (in my opinion) spend a lot of time on duell server.
You can´t learn blocking effectivly on battle or siege.

Battle on the other hand is best to train you awareness of the fights. You will always try to avoid horses dont crush into multiple enemies etc. cause then you have to wait.
You will learn which risks you can take and which are just stupid.

Marvelous advice, the community is shining! +1
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 10:12:30 pm »
Shouldn't newcomers join DTV ? I heard it's the best grinding mode, providing there's 4 good players in the team. AND there's plenty of opponents, and you can practice against bots (try to flee when there's more than 1 though, even high level players got difficulty vs 4 mauls).

Else, i agree Siege is interesting, since it provides way more "experience" in game, than battle, wher you hide, and hide, and die.
(click to show/hide)

My last advice : You're new, you just don't have money. Try buying one of thoses 4k armor, and put all your attributes points in STR (do not make an archer as your first character, you'll get bored before). At level 12, you have at least 15 STR (providing some combining), wich is 5 PS. But the best part about this, is you can actually pick up more than half of the melee weapon dropped on the battlefield, and you can do damage !  I always level up my alts with full (or nearly) STR, before going AGI for atheltics and weapon mastery.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline victis honor

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Victis_honor, victis (alt), HoboWhitaShotgun (alt)
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 10:17:29 pm »
go for the enemy horsies.  get a long stick whit a point and ruin cav's day!
noooooooo not awesome anymore!!

Offline Adam_Bomb

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Im_With_Stupid, Someones_Alt
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 03:00:01 am »
The best and most helpful way to be a peasant is to be the ladder/seige shield carrier for your team.  With the slot patch, ladders can't be carried by those who need them (ranged).  Bring a ladder to battle, announce it to your team, and get your ranged up to a good position.  Its the single most useful way a low level can help, and your team's ranged players will love you for it.
I don't know how you can watch with_stupid, every time i see him play i want to put infants in a blender.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 03:07:20 am »
I think this is the games greatest weakness.

Professional Gamedesigner will laugh at the fact, that you have to WAIT until Lv 20 to actually be able to do something in battle.

This game is totally horrible for beginner! Even the Heirloom thing is extremly bad for beginner, because many player have accumulated easily generation before patch, but if you start right now, you will have to play 200 hours to get 1 Masterpiece item.

Until 200 gametime is spent, MW items will not be worth anything because of the inflation which will be caused by high gen players who have actually gained some Heirloompoints "for free" and accumulate them faster(okay gen bonus got nerved to 3%, I know, but this also makes quite a difference if you have +30-60% more XP)

I see that CRPG improves, but until the game is not designed for beginners, the number of players will not increase as fast as it actually should.

@skip the fun

First of all I was really happy about this, but actually this is dumb shit.

It would be much better if there where no restriction and no money gain. If you start with Lv 30 you should only need the full XP to gain Lv 31.

without skip the fun: 1->31 takes 8,7 MIO XP
with skip the fun: 30->31 should take 8,7 or even 10 MIO XP

This would be the right solution

Some games aren't meant to be finished when you start them. Maybe you are used to modern average videogames that usually aren't longer than 10 hours to "complete". Difficulty is also part of the gaming pleasure, don't forget that.

Offline Rangerbob

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rangerbob
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 05:40:39 am »
I went 8-6 at lvl 7 with robes and a spike mace.  Blunt weapons with knockdown are the way to go.  Quarterstaff and spike mace are the best peasant weapons for people who can manual block.

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 10:30:23 am »
The best and most helpful way to be a peasant is to be the ladder/seige shield carrier for your team.  With the slot patch, ladders can't be carried by those who need them (ranged).  Bring a ladder to battle, announce it to your team, and get your ranged up to a good position.  Its the single most useful way a low level can help, and your team's ranged players will love you for it.

You can also:

Push siege tower (you might see me there)
Bring exta ammo for your archers
Bring a pike too
Hold a torch to light the way for your teammates
Prepare their lunchbags
and keep some jokes for the chat when the time get long.

Undoubtedly, you will become soon an essential member of the team.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 12:18:53 pm »
What Camaris said. And Manika.

Instead of desperately trying to get a kill at level 11 (which, can be a lot of fun... i can also understand that some people might get frustrated), use those precious few first hours of gameplay to get to know the maps and the battle dynamics.
Get to know the players a bit, try and see what tactics they use and try to keep up.

So, as a peasant:
  • Learn the maps
  • Get used to the battle dynamics
  • Practice poking cavalry in the nose, stopping them near teammates. Use a scythe or pitchfork. Consider getting a boar spear.
  • Support teammates by poking over their shoulders with previously mentioned cheap and low requirement polearms
  • Get a cheap shield and play bodyguard and personal shieldwall for somebody
  • Get a spiked club or knobbed mace and smack an enemy on the head, knocking him down
  • Get an axe (once you get str 6) and swing wildly at enemies, possibly getting a hit or two in
  • Do NOT save up money immediately, just spend it all untill you get to level 20 or something!

While dead, you can:
  • Pick out a cool looking outfit or two costing less than a 1000 gold on the shop while dead
  • Browse the cRPG forums and read guides while dead
If you are using steam, i'd recommend using the steam browser. If you go to c-rpg.net (without the www.) it will remember your login, so you'll only have to login once and for the rest of the time you can just type c-rpg.net in the adress bar once every time you start the game. If you have multiple characters, just use the pull down menu under your character name to switch.
Without steam, you can alt-enter to activate windowed mode and put the browser over the game, so you can still keep half an eye on the battle. Learn to recoginze the sounds associated by starting a new round. Make sure you get back to the game quickly when a new round starts, so you'll not get left behind!

But also spend some time observing players to:
  • Learn good archer spots
  • Find good flanking routes
  • Find good camping spots
  • Learn likely lines of fire
  • Think of strategies and tactics you and your team can use later on in the game
  • Take time talking to dead teammates to discuss tactics
  • Take time to motivate teammates, possibly even increasing likelyhood of getting a high multiplier for more exp and gold

Etcetera etcetera etcera. Don't come walking into cRPG thinking you'll master the game in a few hours. It's complicated and not easy at all. Don't get fooled into thinking character level and gear is all that matters. Quite the opposite is true: a master at manual blocking with good map knowlege can be a usefull addition to his team, even below level 20... but in the end it all boils down to good teamplay. So try to use tactics and strategies. Encourage teamplay. Make a plan.

Don't feel bad if you don't manage to be very useful at the first week you play. This happens a lot and is normal. Don't get angry. Instead, make the most of it. Plenty to do!

Enjoy peasanthood while it lasts. You'll miss it when it's gone...  :D

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 01:58:38 pm »
Shouldn't newcomers join DTV ? I heard it's the best grinding mode, providing there's 4 good players in the team. AND there's plenty of opponents, and you can practice against bots (try to flee when there's more than 1 though, even high level players got difficulty vs 4 mauls).
The bots would chamber the hell out of ya!  It is not that easy at all, last night we played for hours, I don't think we ever won against 'vitez'. And the bots are chambering all the time, while their crossbowmen aim at the head!
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 03:19:01 pm »
Could we stick Phazey' post? It is a very good introduction.

Offline AzureSkys

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • per aspera ad astra
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Azure, Nihilanth
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 03:38:49 pm »
Things just get better the more you play. I didn't get a kill on my gen 1 char until level 17 or 20 or something. The next time around I did much better. Now, a few gens later at level 2 I killed Kesh  (lucky timing, though) and actually do better in my early levels than I do at 30.

As has been said, concentrate on the team effort, which is what this game is about. I was seriously frustrated with trying to block, but after forcing myself to for awhile it's getting better. It just takes time and practice.

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 03:58:20 pm »
Easymode-2h is the best way to get kills at the early levels. Even with the practice longsword you can have a positive k/d on battle servers, but you need luck, cause you're an easy target for rangers and your weapon is kinda useless against tin cans.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 04:01:18 pm »
Edit: below poster is right. But yeh, going 2h (even with 0 2h wpf) can net you a few kills early on. The axe (str 6, 30 cut) is a pretty nice start weapon too.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:12:36 pm by Phazey »

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 04:10:46 pm »
Actualy, the practice longsword is quite good against tincans, because it does blunt damage. But yeh, going 2h (even with 0 2h wpf) can net you a few kills early on. The axe (str 6, 30 cut) is a pretty nice start weapon too.
Sure, blunt is great against heavy armored opponents, but at the beginning you just don't have the power and many hits just bounce, espacially when the enemy is very close to you.
The spiked mace is a good blunt weapon and you can use it quite early.