Author Topic: House Stark declares war on the Republic of Squids  (Read 9972 times)

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
Re: House Stark declares war on the Republic of Squids
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2014, 04:55:56 am »
Everything you said makes sense.  Sad thing is, I will use it against you.  Being new to strat, I've been sorta following along, trusting the experience of those... well, more experienced.   But squids had an excellent defence, and despite the roster difference seemed to outnumber us everywhere.  First thing you learn in NA1 is divide and conquer.  The best thing a peasant can do is have 5 level 32ers chasing him for several minutes.  Second thing is team work, which is a bitch for a commander to do.  Between people whining about gear or talking about Game of Thrones, keeping chat levels relevant is a bitch.

But, being new to strat as already mentioned, I think I'll try make some changes to the command thingy.  Sorta like Currie did in WWI.  He wasn't a properly trained general, so he did his own shit that made sense.  The British despised him as an upstart and a free thinker, but he won victories.  And, Armagon willing, so will I.

See you in the field, and may the ..... man win (not sure if I'm a better man than you, so I left it blank, really hoping it's me)!

Offline Balikar

• Count
  • Renown: 173
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moonshine, Cruxton
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2014, 05:40:46 am »
+1
Everything you said makes sense.  Sad thing is, I will use it against you.  Being new to strat, I've been sorta following along, trusting the experience of those... well, more experienced.   But squids had an excellent defence, and despite the roster difference seemed to outnumber us everywhere.  First thing you learn in NA1 is divide and conquer.  The best thing a peasant can do is have 5 level 32ers chasing him for several minutes.  Second thing is team work, which is a bitch for a commander to do.  Between people whining about gear or talking about Game of Thrones, keeping chat levels relevant is a bitch.

But, being new to strat as already mentioned, I think I'll try make some changes to the command thingy.  Sorta like Currie did in WWI.  He wasn't a properly trained general, so he did his own shit that made sense.  The British despised him as an upstart and a free thinker, but he won victories.  And, Armagon willing, so will I.

See you in the field, and may the ..... man win (not sure if I'm a better man than you, so I left it blank, really hoping it's me)!

You need to know who the players are.  Some excel at distraction.  As you said, if a guy can keep 6 guys busy chasing him... he takes them off the field.  Some guys excel at support.  For example, an army that runs out of weapons, gets killed.  So gear runners are essential.  Maybe the enemy has a specific weapon that is mowing your forces down... having some guys able to grab those weapons, take them away fromt he enemy, and give them to your own troops is critical.  In sieges like Tilbaut, having guys who can specialize in ladder breaking (Vantage points, swing types, accurate distances) prove vital.  On the other side of Tilbaut, good engineers could make the difference.

It's not just Kills to death that determine the outcome.  NA1 and strat battles are very different beasts.  Shield walls, coordinated fire, and tactics are not to be overlooked. 

Offline Legs

• Marshall
  • Renown: 819
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player
  • Loco Motive
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arms, Legs
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2014, 05:58:48 am »
+1
Calamari is also a good commander.  He knows when to push and when to pull.  You can't underestimate the value of good command.  It's not just about tactics.  It's about the atmosphere in TS.  Some people create a very negative atmosphere and it destroys morale.  Squids generally have fun and play it loose.  That goes a long way.

Honestly, there are factions that I have straight-up refused to fight for because of their commanders. When it's apparent that you could probably command people better than they can and you're doing really poorly because of them it's frustrating and just makes you want to quit the battle.

I was really disappointed that Kesh wasn't seriously playing this strat, it felt like his 10th-dan master nerd skills would be going to waste. Although I also understand how much time and effort goes into that sort of stuff.
Legs are used for standing, walking, jumping, running, kicking, and similar activities.

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2014, 06:31:25 am »
+2
Yes and no.  Armor values play a large role but not as much as mercs and command.  Last year the FCC defended Vayejeg against the Gobblins.  They had full plate and we had light Kuyak type stuff.  They had more tickets and we held a 5 man merc advantage (both sides had at least 40.)  We not only beat them but picked up 600 tickets in the process.

but

i never ordered or led an attack on vayejeg

and how are you saying you picked up 600 tickets on a defence, that can't happen m8

Offline UnholyRolyPoly

• Earl
  • Renown: 348
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2014, 08:26:31 am »
+2

I'm always happy to help.  All you have to do is fight in various strat battles and take notes.  I fought a lot under Kesh.  He's an excellent Commander.  I've fought some under Arrowaine.  He too is a very good commander.  Most of the time it's about staying calm and being decent to people.  If you compare 2 strat commanders....  one with tons of charisma and no tactical sense.... and the other with no charisma and loads of tactical sense.... guess who wins?  The commander with Charisma wins everytime.  If you combine a minimal tactical sense with the knowledge of what you can and cannot get mercs to do.... then you're good to go. 

Offline UnholyRolyPoly

• Earl
  • Renown: 348
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2014, 08:30:13 am »
+1
but

i never ordered or led an attack on vayejeg

and how are you saying you picked up 600 tickets on a defence, that can't happen m8

It may not have been you.  Kesh would have to elaborate.  But it was Vayejeg and we did absolutely slaughter the enemy despite inferior gear.  The mercs deserve the credit.  The EU archers were trashing people.  I was never involved in politics last strat so I rarely looked to see who was attacking who.  I just merc'd for the FCC because NA Fallen had like 2-3 people playing. 

Offline PsychoTwins

• Earl
  • Renown: 453
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: FarmerBob, NinjaBob, 20PingIsHardBob, StrIsHardBob, HaxorBob
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2014, 08:32:25 am »
+1
Did i just witness a triple post.  :evil:
Here, dear crpg folk, we have an honest man who doesn't conceal the truth out of the fear of getting nerfed. He surely deserves a round of heartfelt applause.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2014, 08:42:32 am »
It may not have been you.  Kesh would have to elaborate.  But it was Vayejeg and we did absolutely slaughter the enemy despite inferior gear.  The mercs deserve the credit.  The EU archers were trashing people.  I was never involved in politics last strat so I rarely looked to see who was attacking who.  I just merc'd for the FCC because NA Fallen had like 2-3 people playing.

Yeah, it was that one yolo charge by chaos I think - malaclypse or one that started witha  K?, sorry its been a while.  We did something similar I think when frisians and occitan attacked - great village to defend with good cavalry support and ranged.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2014, 10:43:15 am »
+2
Yeah, it was that one yolo charge by chaos I think - malaclypse or one that started witha  K?, sorry its been a while.  We did something similar I think when frisians and occitan attacked - great village to defend with good cavalry support and ranged.

So remember S2 when Chaos and Hosp were going at it. It was ball breaking attacking Chaos. 5 battles in a row of just getting smashed on the offensive, they were doing everything better on the ground. It was brutal, moral was always shot to shit and in the end we just had this same group showing up that could handle the beating. A couple of people cracked and left Hosp over the fights. In the end though, the grind won out. Chaos just didn't have the numbers and Hosp Soviet zerged them. But god damn that one small group of villages in the north just flipped back and forward for months.

Fuck this game is crazy, what are we doing!
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Balikar

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2014, 02:32:11 pm »
+1
Did i just witness a triple post.  :evil:

It's good for the post count.

Offline Balikar

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2014, 02:32:38 pm »
+1
So remember S2 when Chaos and Hosp were going at it. It was ball breaking attacking Chaos. 5 battles in a row of just getting smashed on the offensive, they were doing everything better on the ground. It was brutal, moral was always shot to shit and in the end we just had this same group showing up that could handle the beating. A couple of people cracked and left Hosp over the fights. In the end though, the grind won out. Chaos just didn't have the numbers and Hosp Soviet zerged them. But god damn that one small group of villages in the north just flipped back and forward for months.

Fuck this game is crazy, what are we doing!

This strat, not much.  Most are on the sidelines.  Or following coat tails. 

Offline Balikar

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2014, 02:33:00 pm »
+2
It's good for the post count.

See?  Triple post!  Weeee.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2014, 02:47:31 pm »
I plused because diplomacy yo.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline CALAMARI

• Earl
  • Renown: 350
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2014, 09:49:22 pm »
+3
Calamari is also a good commander.

I'm just the guy that says, "hey, cut the jibberjab and listen to Holiday." or "Hey you in the valley! Get back to the shield wall."

Offline Batuhan_of

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Violence
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Northumbria
  • Game nicks: chocolate_Kebab_Vio
  • IRC nick: Violence
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2014, 08:56:59 am »