Author Topic: House Stark declares war on the Republic of Squids  (Read 9970 times)

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
Re: House Stark declares war on the Republic of Squids
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2014, 04:17:59 am »
I would take out the atatcks on the most defensible castle on the map if you are going to use those stats for the basis of your argument and just use all the field battles.

He was using a fief defence against an under preped army as the basis for his statement.

There is no point at trying to cut the totals down or tweak anything. In a battle of attrition ROS is on the wrong side of that battle. The total number of troop farms at their disposal vs their opponents leaves them in a bad position and with over all loses like this, it's even worse.

Hopefully their trade set up is working well for them to ensure a good supply of silver but if it's only mediocre their enemies will be out doing them on that front.

Basically the squids need/needed a good old fashion blitzkrieg but it stalled into trench warfare with their assult on Tilbaut.

They need a change of plans if they want to start doing some serious damage. If they have a solid field advantage because of player quality they should try and shut down the trade lanes.

It's been great to have some activity though, even if it was short lived. Hopefully it'll bounce back.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline PsychoTwins

• Earl
  • Renown: 453
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: FarmerBob, NinjaBob, 20PingIsHardBob, StrIsHardBob, HaxorBob
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2014, 04:36:47 am »
He was using a fief defence against an under preped army as the basis for his statement.

When defenders were down to 150v300 they were fully naked. They managed a 2:1 ratio naked.

There is no point at trying to cut the totals down or tweak anything. In a battle of attrition ROS is on the wrong side of that battle. The total number of troop farms at their disposal vs their opponents leaves them in a bad position and with over all loses like this, it's even worse.

If you think Acre is outfarming us in troops you should take a look at the troops they have in their Castles/Fiefs compared to us. Im sure they have traders running around but i doubt its 2000 man armies.

Here, dear crpg folk, we have an honest man who doesn't conceal the truth out of the fear of getting nerfed. He surely deserves a round of heartfelt applause.

Offline Balikar

• Count
  • Renown: 173
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moonshine, Cruxton
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2014, 05:45:12 am »
+1
True, but when you attack, especially against Castles like what Astralis is in, you are gunna lose more troops than the defenders. Its obvious.

Now if you look at the battles where ROS gets ATTACKED this strat. ROS lost 1776, while the Attackers lost 3026.

And that differs on attacks on peasant armies when the attackers are geared... how?  It's called an advantage.  Attacks on Tilbaut are the only battles where the Squids have been at a disadvantage.  It's like saying, 'Hey those don't count because I lost.'

Offline PsychoTwins

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2014, 05:54:41 am »
+1
I guess my point isn't getting across well enough.

Defenders will always have a better ratio in strat simply because defending is optimal.
Here, dear crpg folk, we have an honest man who doesn't conceal the truth out of the fear of getting nerfed. He surely deserves a round of heartfelt applause.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2014, 06:00:36 am »
+2

Defenders will always have a better ratio in strat simply because defending is optimal.

Wait...no. Depends on the map. Some maps even with equal gear/mercs are just ABSOLUTE SHIT to play defence on. Others are Crazy good(Tilbaut for example).

With Equal Gear, REBACHE is shit to play defence on.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline PsychoTwins

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2014, 06:04:54 am »
True true, but in war. Each faction has at least 1 good defensible fief/castle they will hold well.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2014, 07:26:01 am »
Wrong thread, pull thumb out butt and move along.

----

Squids
14390 min

Acre
11278 min

That's the bare min total deployable force pool that's visible on the strat map for Acre and the Squids.

What I don't have real data on is who many players both side regularly get in the server. My anacdotal evidence is that I see a lot of various members of Acre roll through the servers at different times but in general it's the same motley group of squids. If this is correct then it also places Acre in a better position.

You are better off having 60 lightly/moderatly active players than 48 players with 30 being basically in active and 18 being online 24/7.

You can only burn 2 ticks an hour after all so having the 8 main squids having 10k of ticks each doesn't help nearly as much as having 60 people get about 150 ticks a week.

I don't know what the real rate of recruitment is. Would be interesting to find out.

----

However it doesn't make a lot of sense to just ram everything into Garrisons because that lets everyone know exactly what's going on. You are better off distributing silver and keeping your forces mobile imo.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:49:41 am by FRANK_THE_TANK »
Fammi un pompino!

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2014, 07:45:27 am »
+1
Truth is the Squids have much better mercs.  And, at the beginning, they had better armour.  Think about it- if their armour can take two hits as opposed to our armour which can get you killed in one hit, its like having double the tickets.  And, as anyone who played NA1, morale has a lot to do with it.  By the time the Squids were naked, our team was kinda depressed.  They were naked, we had monk's robes, which is pretty much the same with the weapons we had.  But when you're on a team that's losing, you lose confidence and you don';t fight as well.

But.... silver for silver, who won?

Offline Yoshi

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • Glory to Yoshi!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Yoshi Clan
  • Game nicks: Chairman_Yoshi
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2014, 11:35:48 am »
+8
Truth is the Squids have much better mercs.  And, at the beginning, they had better armour.  Think about it- if their armour can take two hits as opposed to our armour which can get you killed in one hit, its like having double the tickets.  And, as anyone who played NA1, morale has a lot to do with it.  By the time the Squids were naked, our team was kinda depressed.  They were naked, we had monk's robes, which is pretty much the same with the weapons we had.  But when you're on a team that's losing, you lose confidence and you don';t fight as well.

I think that everyone wins as long as they're having fun!  :mrgreen:
Terrible fucking names terrible fucking video game. character, stupid banner. You will be extinct like your amoeba brained brethren. This all could have been avoided if your banner was the little Jason voorhees looking characters from super Mario brothers 3. You dug your own graves now lay in it!

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2014, 01:14:45 pm »
+2
I think that everyone wins as long as they're having fun!  :mrgreen:

Yes you big great my old friend, you are correct though. Fun is the name of the game.
Fammi un pompino!

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile

Offline Holiday203

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Art of Wutang, Justice League
  • Game nicks: Batman_Holiday_AoW

He usually fights with us on a regular basis.

Offline Balikar

• Count
  • Renown: 173
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moonshine, Cruxton
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2014, 11:10:25 pm »

And I still believe that a similar point could be made that attackers should have an advantage because defenders won't always reinforce.  ;-) 

Devil's Advocate.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2014, 12:03:45 am »
+3
Squids warm the heart of every soul, and keep winter at bay. Winter will not arrive in Narra, but I can predict that their Fall fashion line will involve luxurious coats made of wolf pelts.

Offline UnholyRolyPoly

• Earl
  • Renown: 348
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2014, 04:37:58 am »
+4

Yes and no.  Armor values play a large role but not as much as mercs and command.  Last year the FCC defended Vayejeg against the Gobblins.  They had full plate and we had light Kuyak type stuff.  They had more tickets and we held a 5 man merc advantage (both sides had at least 40.)  We not only beat them but picked up 600 tickets in the process.  Why?  Because some badass cavalry dude kept breaking their spawn.  Because we had some EU archers tearing them to pieces.  They were forced to march all the way from the flags and didn't come as a group.  So we picked them off with ranged until we could overwhelm them with infantry.  In this strat BC fought Frisia in the Northern wars.  We had Leather Scale armor with cheap weapons.  Most of it was used in previous fights.  I don't recall what they had exactly but it was better.  Overall we went close to 1 for 1 before running out of gear.  Armor values are important but mercs make the difference.  Good mercs who fight hard and don't jerk off for ten minutes during the battle are hard to find.  Kudos to Frisia and Astralis.  They fight well. 

Calamari is also a good commander.  He knows when to push and when to pull.  You can't underestimate the value of good command.  It's not just about tactics.  It's about the atmosphere in TS.  Some people create a very negative atmosphere and it destroys morale.  Squids generally have fun and play it loose.  That goes a long way.  My goal in every battle is to frustrate the hell out of the enemy commander.  I want them bitching in TS instead of giving orders.  Before long mercs quit and you gain an advantage. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:43:53 am by UnholyRolyPoly »