Author Topic: House Stark declares war on the Republic of Squids  (Read 10010 times)

Offline HardRice

• Marshall
  • Renown: 740
  • Infamy: 161
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 187/Alligator
Re: House Stark declares war on the Republic of Squids
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 04:43:57 pm »
+2
Please scale back the prices on all items, it's clear that for the EU side of the map, it did not work in balancing anything, UIF will still roll over everything in their path without too much of a fight.

For the NA side it just killed activity even more because of the effort it takes to gather up a decent army nowadays.

Offline CALAMARI

• Earl
  • Renown: 350
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 06:02:18 pm »
The pricing seems fine. A respectable army can be built in a week if people just look at the map, anticipate S&D's, and know where the equipment is discounted. Once you're rolling around with a decent army; the chance of you getting attacked fall dramatically and the snowball starts. Once you reach the snowball point horizon; the gothic plate comes easy.     

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 06:20:04 pm »
That's the problem- due to previous strats people don't think they can attack until they have a plated army.

Offline CALAMARI

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 06:24:10 pm »
Hobb, Habb, Ascalon, and Canary are going to have the best armies on the map at their current pace. Daruvian and Thorwald aren't that far behind; I don't buy into that Gerber baby bullshit for even a second. Their carnage on Calradia is coming.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 06:31:42 pm by SQUIDNAUGHT »

Offline Balikar

• Count
  • Renown: 173
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moonshine, Cruxton
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 12:41:23 am »
+1
The pricing seems fine. A respectable army can be built in a week if people just look at the map, anticipate S&D's, and know where the equipment is discounted. Once you're rolling around with a decent army; the chance of you getting attacked fall dramatically and the snowball starts. Once you reach the snowball point horizon; the gothic plate comes easy.   

I disagree.  You can have +0 gear relatively easy, relatively cheap.  It's the loomed items that take a bit of research, and time.   A week is far too little.  Also, what numbers are you discussing?  A 100 man army can be equipped in no time flat, but you can't do anything with a 100 man army.  So what do you consider respectable?  And it's not about the chance of getting attacked... an unarmed, 100 man army can trade freely on NA with little to no threat.  However, we aren't discussing the chance of attack... at least in my opinion.  We're talking about offensive ability, and to take the field offensive, you need numbers, not just gear.  Think about this for a moment.  The maximum you can do troop wise is 24 troops in a day.  to go from 100 to 500 means 400 troops, and that alone puts you close to 20 days (nice round number). 

Now if you flip it around, and look at the topography of the map... you'd have to be in a specific area under a certain faction in order to truly gain the numbers silver wise that you're talking of.  Look at the northern map.  Look at the availability of sell fiefs.  They're sparse.  Look at the amount of buy fiefs, and it becomes apparent you can get more goods in the north than you can sell.  Look at the west side of the map, the steppes.  You have a convoluted mess of factions and a slow travel speed (opposed to plains).  Look at the east side of the map, you have Black Company (Good buy fiefs), but you still have limited sell fiefs.  It gets even worse if you're in a faction that is at war with the Squids.   The south holds a LOT of promise.  However, touch the wrong Dept of Special Education fief, and you're attacked on the spot. 

I give the Squids a lot of grief.  However, their location on the map, and the disruption it causes to trade channels... I have to tip my hat off to them.  It's that disruption that keeps them at the top of the pyramid.  If that trade disruption should ever falter, they'll be toast relatively quick. 

Acre - Teach your traders.  Seriously, I'm all over the map.  I see every other faction but yours, everywhere.  Are your guys just trading amongst yourself?  If so, that's your downfall.   You guys hold the keys to the north.  If you guys don't want to trade, increase your sell fief number.  Drive traffic to the north.  Press the squids on their embargo. 

Anyway, I'm half drunk and prone to rambling. 

Offline PsychoTwins

• Earl
  • Renown: 453
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: FarmerBob, NinjaBob, 20PingIsHardBob, StrIsHardBob, HaxorBob
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 12:44:50 am »
Acre does some nice trades with EU which allows 350% and safer travels. They dont have to worry about travelling throughout NA
Here, dear crpg folk, we have an honest man who doesn't conceal the truth out of the fear of getting nerfed. He surely deserves a round of heartfelt applause.

Offline Sir_Alec

• Knight
  • Renown: 52
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: AoW
  • Game nicks: Alec_AoW, Alec456
  • IRC nick: Alec
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 12:45:32 am »
+2
gonna red wedding your asses.

Offline Legs

• Marshall
  • Renown: 819
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player
  • Loco Motive
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arms, Legs
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 02:41:57 am »
+3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 02:45:29 am by Legs »
Legs are used for standing, walking, jumping, running, kicking, and similar activities.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 02:46:49 am »

inb4 gear disadvantage

(click to show/hide)

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline CALAMARI

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 02:49:46 am »
+2
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 03:11:34 am by SQUIDNAUGHT »

Offline Holiday203

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Art of Wutang, Justice League
  • Game nicks: Batman_Holiday_AoW
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 03:05:33 am »
Looked like a lot of shit gear from AI castle/villages, only thing is I don't remember house stark attacking a castle. Makes me wonder.

Offline Legs

• Marshall
  • Renown: 819
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player
  • Loco Motive
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arms, Legs
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2014, 03:15:40 am »
inb4 gear disadvantage

(click to show/hide)

To be fair the Stark/Acre side had about a dozen more mercs and almost twice as many troops.

Acre has more members than AoW/Republic of Squids so they can easily fill a roster, but most of their members are pretty bad at the game and most of our members are pretty good. So they just feed us tickets and waste their advantage. I feel kind of bad for them honestly, fighting on their side doesn't seem very fun.
Legs are used for standing, walking, jumping, running, kicking, and similar activities.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2014, 03:23:58 am »
+1
Here's the thing though right. It's June.

If Hobb, Habb, Ascalon, Canary, Daruvian and Thorwald have taken this long to build 6 full plate armies... ummm that's a lot of wasted time. The reality is if they come up against +3 mid tear armour with blunt and pierce weapons it's going to be a grind fest and an army that probably cost 1/3rd of the value of those plate armies is going to do enough damage to render the army fucked, win or lose they will still fuck up months of work. Add to that roster support, it's a big gamble that's frankly pointless.

1400 worth of 50-55 point armour for 485800 silver or 2314620 of Milanese with no helmets, gauntlets or boots. If I dump that total amount into an army it's going to have killer gear and some cav support. You've only just paid for your body armour.

This strat, plate is reserved for shock troops. It's the kind of fuck you surprise you add in tiny quantities to a small army. 30 full plate troops and then you only dish it out to your best plate whoring players on your team. Even then you would want to see an insane KD ratio for that fighting force as a direct result of that crap being deployed.

Personally I just can't think of a reason to do it. I would rather spend the money on +3 Abdulla, +3 becs, long bows, and arrows with maybe 50-100 sets of bodkins for "in case shit".

Plate has no place in the field this strat. It's just not worth it, it's purely an epeen thing.

To be fair the Stark/Acre side had about a dozen more mercs and almost twice as many troops.

Acre has more members than AoW/Republic of Squids so they can easily fill a roster, but most of their members are pretty bad at the game and most of our members are pretty good. So they just feed us tickets and waste their advantage. I feel kind of bad for them honestly, fighting on their side doesn't seem very fun.

Sorry to burst your bubble legs but if you go look at the stats page for this strat Squids are actually on the wrong side of the K/D ratio. Or they were about a week and a half ago and I haven't seen any massive victories in that time that would flip the loss the other way.

Squids have done the vast bulk of attacking, 75% (54 in total) of all attacks in the last 12 weeks have been by ROS. ROS has lost 19k of tickets, out of a total of 35k tickets (once you take AI out of the equation. So in all action on the NA side, ROS lost basically 20k and everyone else in every fight they have been in, including those against AI lost 15k.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 03:31:37 am by FRANK_THE_TANK »
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline PsychoTwins

• Earl
  • Renown: 453
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: FarmerBob, NinjaBob, 20PingIsHardBob, StrIsHardBob, HaxorBob
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 03:39:27 am »
Sorry to burst your bubble legs but if you go look at the stats page for this strat Squids are actually on the wrong side of the K/D ratio. Or they were about a week and a half ago and I haven't seen any massive victories in that time that would flip the loss the other way.

Squids have done the vast bulk of attacking, 75% (54 in total) of all attacks in the last 12 weeks have been by ROS. ROS has lost 19k of tickets, out of a total of 35k tickets (once you take AI out of the equation. So in all action on the NA side, ROS lost basically 20k and everyone else in every fight they have been in, including those against AI lost 15k.

True, but when you attack, especially against Castles like what Astralis is in, you are gunna lose more troops than the defenders. Its obvious.

Now if you look at the battles where ROS gets ATTACKED this strat. ROS lost 1776, while the Attackers lost 3026.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 03:43:21 am by PsychoTwins »
Here, dear crpg folk, we have an honest man who doesn't conceal the truth out of the fear of getting nerfed. He surely deserves a round of heartfelt applause.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 04:02:50 am »

I would take out the atatcks on the most defensible castle on the map if you are going to use those stats for the basis of your argument and just use all the field battles.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo