Author Topic: New onehanded right swing ~FEEDBACK~  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
Re: New onehanded right swing ~FEEDBACK~
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 07:35:23 pm »
Definitely looks odd, but I kind of like it, it looks fancier than the native swing. And if you use a fast 1h then it kind of looks like the animation goes from the holding animation up and then slamming down onto the enemy (or friendly :rolleyes:)
Glancing less often but I am having the problem of occasionally swinging above people's heads since the animation aims much higher than the native one, since I am used to looking up when right-swinging to hit the head, but I guess that will go away after a while.

For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 07:51:55 pm »
It feels like the tip of the blade/weapon should be further back for the first two-thirds or so of the animation.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 08:50:42 pm »
Just gave it a spin on my 1h.

Love it, it looks a bit odd, but not out of place.
Reach loss is a little noticeable, but I prefer this over the old one anyday.

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 09:57:15 pm »
tydeus worked hard on this and that's appreciated, however the results aren't great

it looks worse than the original right swing, and is much shorter and easier to see (aka easier to block)
the fact that it's shorter massively nerfs anyone using a 1h ~~ 95 reach and below's ability to fight against 2h/polearm/cavalry players, who can now exploit their weapon range to an insane degree

the time i've been playing on EU1 over the last 2 days, people i would normally kill have killed me dozens of times because i simply can't target switch to them, and can't outrange them (because the right swing was the tool i used for that, and it now just doesn't work at all), and when i finally do get close enough, the new right swing is of very little use there either, as the left swing, stab and overhead are so much better

please can you revert it back to the original right swing

thanks, Corsair
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 11:01:53 pm »
+1
I can't quite put my finger on it whether it lost reach. Being a huge right swing whore on my 1h without shield I feel like it is slightly shorter. Although this might have to do with it being faster which gives me less time to move in during the animation, giving it less effective reach. The old rightswing allowed you to pull of greatsword swing reach when timed properly and combined with good footwork, and that is why I loved it. I definitely prefer the old right swing, just because it is more specialized and underrated by the average shielder. You could always really surprise people by actually using every centimeter of the reach.

It is without a doubt much faster, more usable in close quarters and harder to read, so I think for the general populace it is a big improvement. I just would like to know if the real reach has been reduced by this animation change and I hope it can be restored to its original reach.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 11:19:32 pm »
Testing in-game on a horse, the current reach seems to be a few cm less than the 1h stab (which glances at the absolute full extension (sweetspot a few cm less)) and a few cm more than the overhead. I find this reach to be similar enough to how it was before. Did a few glance tests and it does seem to be better, but horses aren't so great for testing that.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 06:16:32 pm »
+2
I'll do some more work with it to make the chamber animation, and the earlier part of the release, actually fit the rest of the swing. It certainly doesn't look quite right at the moment.

Thanks for the quality feedback.

No, thank you for spending your free time, to trying to improve the mod. 

Stop abusing admin though.

/gottem
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 06:41:02 pm »
+2
Here's an updated brf with tweaks to wrist movement(mostly).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24876970/cRPG%20Stuff/anim_tydeus_nudges.rar

Replace anim_tydeus_nudges.brf in your modules/cRPG/Resources/ folder and start crpg to see it in game. This won't change collisions in game without a patch, so this is just a way to get more feedback and to make sure you guys know I haven't forgotten about this. Let me know how it looks, and I'll adjust further if necessary. After you're done testing, you can check the "repair" option in the launcher, to revert back to the animation that the server is using.

tydeus worked hard on this and that's appreciated, however the results aren't great
Not really, I've spent about 2 hours(including testing and reworking) on this, so I won't really be bothered too much if I decide to just go ahead and revert to my older 1h right-to-left anim.

Edit: Also, it really should have the same reach when someone is in front of you, it's just than you have to angle your camera down slightly, since it's now somewhat of a diagonal swing.

Edit2: Right click, save page as, save as anim_tydeus_nudges.brf Replaced with a .rar.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:47:03 pm by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 07:32:17 pm »
Pros:
Now,right swing is not useless in close combat and tight spots

Cons:
Looks retarded
Due to range loss, fucked up 1hander class against backpedalling 2handers

Result: It should be either adjusted or reverted. 1h swing animations are the most situational animation set.
Left swing = Deadly close distance hit to head
Overhead = Deadly medium range hit
Right swing = Only weapon against backpedal due to ghostreach also good at killing horsemen
Stab = Inb4 tin can 1hit omgzor

Now right swing lost it's purpose just a gimpy and useless left swing with mediocre range and hits to shoulder. Smth between overhead and leftswing

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 08:09:59 pm »
+1
Here's an updated brf with tweaks to wrist movement(mostly).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24876970/cRPG%20Stuff/anim_tydeus_nudges.brf

Replace anim_tydeus_nudges.brf in your modules/cRPG/Resources/ folder and start crpg to see it in game. This won't change collisions in game without a patch, so this is just a way to get more feedback and to make sure you guys know I haven't forgotten about this. Let me know how it looks, and I'll adjust further if necessary. After you're done testing, you can check the "repair" option in the launcher, to revert back to the animation that the server is using.
Not really, I've spent about 2 hours(including testing and reworking) on this, so I won't really be bothered too much if I decide to just go ahead and revert to my older 1h right-to-left anim.

Edit: Also, it really should have the same reach when someone is in front of you, it's just than you have to angle your camera down slightly, since it's now somewhat of a diagonal swing.

It looks a lot better. I tested the reach and it's the same, people just have misconceptions on how the older right swing actually played out since it was just slower.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 07:00:01 pm »
+1
I like how it looks savage, and it seems more realistic and how one would swing an arming sword or similar (the old one looked like a tennis swing, not a sword swing). Obviously the animation smoothness needs work, but it appears Tydeus is on it (I haven't looked at the new .brf).

I never really used the right swing anyway (preferred to stab when I needed reach), but I have always loved the 1h overhead. The new right swing behaves much like an overhead (you have to aim at your target, which compliments the fact that shields also force you to aim at your opponent). 1h/no shield users probably liked the old animation better.

What do you think about using the old animation for no shield, and the new one for w/ shield? Would give 1h some diversity (like polearm has with the two stab animations).

Offline Veniathan

• Count
  • Renown: 213
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hey nigga your lance is 10 meter long or something
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
  • Faction: Kievan Rus
  • Game nicks: Zvonimir_of_Rus
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 11:09:51 pm »
Honestly the quality of the animation itself is a little odd, not bad but just seems uncomfortable? If anyone here has ever done anything with a sword, or educated themselves on this warfare you'd notice his swing is just kind of random. I don't know.

Also the reach is shorter, atleast from what I've seen. I avoid using it now, sometimes I got luck and so much as just touched someone with the end and killed them. But that's rare. So in all honesty I prefer the old one but eventually I can get used to this aswell.
I duel 1vs1 horse vs horse. Dude have nigga long lance that have 10 metres long or something.

Many time i can see as people use this script where horse just standing on 2 feets and does "yhohohohoh".

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2014, 08:46:31 am »
ok, I LOVE the new animation you did, its flawless to me. except... could it be just SLIGHTLY more vertical? i feel like its still more horizontal like before, it seems like you toned down the angle. i sort of like the angle myself, so... thats my 2 cents, but i really like this.

Offline Eugen

• Count
  • Renown: 180
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Postla
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2014, 12:37:33 pm »
It looks a lot better. I tested the reach and it's the same, people just have misconceptions on how the older right swing actually played out since it was just slower.

Two things I noticed: new animation seems faster AND new animation has a diagonal angel. I believe its the new angel that makes the difference.

Diagonal hits dont take that much space to the sides - so swings dont get cought up in scenery so easy. On the other hand the swing is not so good anymore when turning into the swing, becouse reach may be the same in the extension BUT it seems narrow in the medium-part of the swing circle. So there IS a loss of reach in the medium part of swing, where only marginal damage might be dealt anyway. Dont really know. Gotta play some more with new animation.

Also what Teeth sayed:
... Although this might have to do with it being faster which gives me less time to move in during the animation, giving it less effective reach. The old rightswing allowed you to pull of greatsword swing reach when timed properly and combined with good footwork, and that is why I loved it. ...

However it seems it does not get interrupted by scenery that much anymore. Job done. Other effects? Well, not really shure.

I loved to do the big right to left swing spinning with it to hit enemys standing to my left side slightly in theire back. Now this is not not so easy. Maybe I just have to adept to new animation.

TLDR:
* old animation was good for spinning doing the bladewhirling - looked awkward if you stood still (like tennis)
* new animation looks better when standing still - not so much if you spin into the swing (becouse of the diagonal swing) maybe reach loss in midswing.
*Maybe its just an illusion becouse old animation just made me feel the spin. New one not.

So is this the trade off? Less collision with scenery - shorter reach in midswing. Its ok for me, if its only that. I support the idea to have old animation for 1h without shield and new animation for 1h with shield.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 12:49:31 pm by Eugen »

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2014, 12:56:30 pm »
Right swing was the only weapon of one handers against two handers and polearmers , however small weapons such as steel pick , winged mace were only expected to strike from overhead or right , now people should take care of left too , one handed is now a siege class completely :P