Author Topic: New onehanded right swing ~FEEDBACK~  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
Re: New onehanded right swing ~FEEDBACK~
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2014, 03:27:45 pm »
+2
Two things I noticed: new animation seems faster AND new animation has a diagonal angel. I believe its the new angel that makes the difference.

Diagonal hits dont take that much space to the sides - so swings dont get cought up in scenery so easy. On the other hand the swing is not so good anymore when turning into the swing, becouse reach may be the same in the extension BUT it seems narrow in the medium-part of the swing circle. So there IS a loss of reach in the medium part of swing, where only marginal damage might be dealt anyway.
I think you're dead on here. The angle change was what I was going for, but I believe the effective reach reduction is due to some odd blending that warband does between each frame. The new brf has been adjusted slightly to try and compensate for this, while also looking more realistic(more whip-like wrist movement).

I loved to do the big right to left swing spinning with it to hit enemys standing to my left side slightly in theire back. Now this is not not so easy. Maybe I just have to adept to new animation.
Because you swing your sword with your right arm, you won't ever really be able to hit people to your right as easily as you hit them to your left(you have to reach across your body on the left side, this puts the base of the weapon's "hit bar" much closer to your own character's body). I could play with the angle a bit more, lowering it a bit while the weapon is in front of you/to the side. This would probably make turning into the swing function a bit better, but it could also cause more clipping on objects to your right.

On another note, I realized that the first iteration has blending issues between the chamber and release anim, for some reason. While this isn't the only reason it looks odd, it certainly is a major contributor.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2014, 03:43:39 pm »
I could play with the angle a bit more, lowering it a bit while the weapon is in front of you/to the side. This would probably make turning into the swing function a bit better, but it could also cause more clipping on objects to your right.

I always liked how 1h animations function so well in tight spaces/around teammates (now right swing included). 2h's wide sideswings make it deadly in an open duel, but hamstrung in a crowd.

1h/no shield is more of a "duelist" setup, so that's why I recommended keeping the old right swing animation for 1h/no shield, but using the new right swing with a shield. Polearm can switch between stab animations with different strengths/weaknesses by equipping a shield, so it would be cool if 1h could also.

From a realism standpoint, I can see how having a shield in your left hand would make you swing in a more downward motion, so you didn't have to torque against the moment of inertia of the shield.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2014, 03:49:28 pm »
+1
That seems like something that would have to be done with WSE(so it won't happen), since native functionality is to use the same exact animation for 1hers, regardless of the presence of a shield. I don't know of a trigger that I could use, to tell the character to use the appropriate release animation.

I added the .brf to a .rar file so it can be downloaded easier. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24876970/cRPG%20Stuff/anim_tydeus_nudges.rar. Just replace the anim_tydeus_nudges.brf found inside your warband/modules/crpg/resources/ folder, with the one inside the .rar.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:46:00 pm by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character