Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 30948 times)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2014, 01:10:04 pm »
Well, I guess more depth in each of those departments. For example wars between factions that you can join, big fights, more incentive to either group with other players or go against them (is bounty hunting targetting NPCs or players?), more depth to trade, perhaps some sort of ownership/building of your own facilities, mines, conglomerates, planet exploring, bases, resource extraction, your own production/crafting, exploring anomalies, wormholes with special events/loot, your own research/research tree etc etc. One only needs to look at EVE for a list of cool features. EVE doesn't have the combat, but it does have the features.

Personally, I would jizz if the game had big ships with multiplayer crews where each player plays a critical role operating the spaceship system - think of FTL, just with multiplayer.

They seem to have good basics, now they just need more content/features. That's of course coming from someone who isn't familiar with all the features that are hidden in ED.
ugh... no thanks to... like... nearly all those features. D:
It's Elite we're talking about. If you wanna play EVE, then play EVE. :P For me, the whole point is being a tiny light in a vast universe, struggling to make a living. If you're looking for some generic tycoon game, then by all means Elite is not a game for you. If you wanna fly cool ships in a believable way and the real Milky Way as your playground... go ahead.
I forgot to mention mining... there is mining too.

Kafein, careful with the turrets. They don't stop shooting when someone else crosses the line of fire. Lots of Bounty Hunters ended up hunted by the Feds cuz those silly NPCs flew through the turret's fire line :D
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2014, 01:24:17 pm »
ugh... no thanks to... like... nearly all those features. D:
It's Elite we're talking about. If you wanna play EVE, then play EVE. :P For me, the whole point is being a tiny light in a vast universe, struggling to make a living. If you're looking for some generic tycoon game, then by all means Elite is not a game for you. If you wanna fly cool ships in a believable way and the real Milky Way as your playground... go ahead.

That almost sounds like you don't want more content. It seems that a lot of people think the game is still pretty bare bones and needs more content:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2pom92/elite_dangerous_worth_the_buy/

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2014, 02:50:35 pm »
Kafein, careful with the turrets. They don't stop shooting when someone else crosses the line of fire. Lots of Bounty Hunters ended up hunted by the Feds cuz those silly NPCs flew through the turret's fire line :D

I feel it's worth the risk personally. It's almost constant damage for zero effort. It's also a little bit silly that feds have zero tolerance for friendly fire when there are enemies around.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2014, 05:38:39 pm »
That almost sounds like you don't want more content. It seems that a lot of people think the game is still pretty bare bones and needs more content:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2pom92/elite_dangerous_worth_the_buy/
I do want more content and there will be more content. But I rather have few really nice fleshed out parts than from everything a bit but nothing properly.

Just trading is already highly complex when you take reputation, market streams and commodity influence on system factions into account. It ain't just trucking X from A to B...
Same for everything else really. It just depends on how deep you're willing to get into it. Like crpg, you can buy a crossbow and 1h and pew pew with some melee or you do full melee, learn all the tricks, the wiggly stuff and what not.

Right now I have a really demanding flight model, there will be 30 ships with different purpose/balancing/faction related and they all have like 20 different modules for their slots, I have the whole Milky Way to play in, a believable market model (when patched properly :P), several big and hundreds of minor faction affecting everything I do to a degree, galaxy driven story missions, missions overall, several occupations to test out and so on... Why would I even wanna build a mine then?

I got exactly what I expected to get. Beta participation was a good choice for me. When I look at the FD forum, most people complaining are just disappointed that there isn't a quest marker or they can't fly the biggest ship after 10 hours.
FD always communicated that there will be big updates after release and that the initial release is the backbone which they gonna develop on. That's what I got. To complain about it after 3 days post-release is just silly.

I love the game and there is already more content then I can try out. I am fine.
Besides, to my knowledge EVE took like several years to get to the point where it's now with several market crashes and drama. The comparison is pretty silly... :wink:
Right now I enjoy the probably smoothest release of a game this complex I've ever witnessed with dem Devs giving out daily fixes and updates.

Why am I even arguing? :D Don't wanna be a fanboy! :lol:
I love the "barebone" Elite and every update they gonna do is just the icing on the cake for me. Fullstop. :wink:

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2014, 05:54:23 pm »
I would love to at least try it at this stage but atm the price is way to high for me and that is largely down to the content. I think it will put a lot of people off at this stage.

Still, with their plans it will hopefully be looking a lot more progressed in 6 months or so and then I may be tempted to take another look.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2014, 07:08:05 pm »
It's a pretty great game. Not without it's bugs, sure, but any MMO is bound to have them. It's got a lot of potential, and the almost impossible player skill cap (which is what I suspect many cRPG players look for in games) is there if you want it, though it's not required. I do hope they take on EVE-like features as time goes on, because so far it seems like that without the ridiculous grind and with a sweet space sim combat system.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2014, 09:24:20 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I might have scared the poor guy. After my first message he instantly started flying zickzack :D

...but I just wanted to be nice :cry:

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2014, 10:33:26 pm »
+1
It's a pretty great game. Not without it's bugs, sure, but any MMO is bound to have them. It's got a lot of potential, and the almost impossible player skill cap (which is what I suspect many cRPG players look for in games) is there if you want it, though it's not required. I do hope they take on EVE-like features as time goes on, because so far it seems like that without the ridiculous grind and with a sweet space sim combat system.

I feel there's actually some elements of "grind" in it if you don't enjoy whatever you are doing. Despite having space combat in it, the game is fairly slow paced.

To complain or not based on the content at release is justified. It's something they sell, so it should be held to the standards of other things being sold. My opinion is that if you like space sims and especially if you have an oculus this is absolutely worth the (admittedly high) price.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2014, 08:16:15 am »
Too expensive right now for what it is IMO, I do want to try it out but I'm not willing to pay that much for where the game is currently at.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2014, 10:55:47 am »
I feel there's actually some elements of "grind" in it if you don't enjoy whatever you are doing. Despite having space combat in it, the game is fairly slow paced.

To complain or not based on the content at release is justified. It's something they sell, so it should be held to the standards of other things being sold. My opinion is that if you like space sims and especially if you have an oculus this is absolutely worth the (admittedly high) price.

Too expensive right now for what it is IMO, I do want to try it out but I'm not willing to pay that much for where the game is currently at.

Exactly this. This is not a case of "ugh game has no content its shit", but rather I really do want to try it, but for now it doesn't look like it offers enough for it's cost, so I'll just wait.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 924
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2014, 02:10:37 pm »
+1

Yet you paid money for stupid Planetside skins.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2014, 04:34:32 pm »
I disagree on the "not enough content" part. I hardly can decide what to do next...

...but I won't argue with some user reviews from reddit :P

I've already clocked more hours in this one than in dozens of other games I bought. I already got my money's worth.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2014, 04:48:08 pm »
+3
Just playing a bit with my brother, I took him on our first little trade run, once he worked out he couldn't jump straight and had to go through different systems, we were doing great, right up until we reached our destination.

He followed me into a space station without requesting docking permission, panicked and screamed about red text. They opened fire as I landed. Just about saw him explode with a whimper. "I was too busy trying to keep myself lined up that I forgot to get permission..." he said as I was in stitches.

Fantastic first outing, I made 2K CR and he started again.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2014, 05:03:47 pm »
+1
Yea, landing policy is pretty strict x)

Probably not much comfort for your brother but I forget it myself too sometimes. Only difference: I know to hit backward thrusters instantly :D

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2014, 06:02:40 pm »
Yet you paid money for stupid Planetside skins.

Note that I did that too.