Author Topic: Roman Armor and Weapons  (Read 13662 times)

Offline Ermes

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Armor and Weapons
« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2011, 11:38:38 am »
LEGIO Clan agree with the topic. We want roman stuff.

Offline Lisandro

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lisandro
« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2011, 12:35:29 pm »
+1 , also +2 if possible
Aspirans Aeterna

Offline Hunter_the_Honourable

• Count
  • Renown: 229
  • Infamy: 178
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Killing fairy riders for the good of cRPG.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-fairy riders.
« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2011, 02:16:58 pm »
at the end of the day if you don't like it don't wear it  :wink:
How can you trust People?
They are Humans
I never trust Humans.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2011, 06:05:20 pm »
I agree with zagibo in all, i dont want a look like roman soldier in crpg, i prefere the half rus/weaboo/mongol warrios on plated charger with torch.

If you don't want to wear the armour then don't wear it.  A part of my exchange with zagibu has been about how the devs don't want to force things on people in all but a minimal way.

EDIT: Sarcasm recognition fail^
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 08:39:58 pm by Diomedes »

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2011, 06:11:27 pm »
^Sarcasm recognition fail

Offline Myltinous

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: Rhemus_Myltinous, Pippin_McGee
« Reply #110 on: July 04, 2011, 06:44:51 pm »
I found a link that had pics of a whole crap load of roman gear textures, but I can't find it now :(. If anyone does find a link though I suggest that they put it on here pronto, I will make the developer's jobs a lot more easy.
"One who thinks is one who conspires"
Ryan Myltoft
1992-present

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2011, 10:52:37 pm »
"Think of other people's fun" can also be used as an argument to include lightsabres, griffons and pirate peglegs.

Is it so hard to understand that wanting some items in and others not is simply based on personal preference? You obviously can't include everything people wish for, or we would have Klingon Bat'leths, Batman costumes, naked three-breasted women from Mars, tentacle demons and other stuff (e.g. Roman armor) that might not really fit in. So you have to draw the line somewhere, and for me, classical roman stuff is beyond it.

It remains to be seen how the devs see the matter.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2011, 11:59:32 pm »
You said there's a line that must be drawn so why, if it must be drawn so distinctly, must it be drawn before Classical Roman gear?  How is that any less arbitrary than drawing it before Early Imperial gear?  Or later Imperial gear?  Or even the various styles of Byzantine armour?

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2011, 01:20:23 am »
It is not less arbitrary, that was the whole point of the debate. It is personal like or dislike. You like it, as some others do. I don't like it. If the devs like it, or a majority of the players enact pressure on them, it might go in, otherwise not. There is no need to invent hollow arguments in favor of including it.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2011, 12:09:57 pm »
That in no way answers why such items should be liked or disliked, or whether the devs have or should have a specific decision-making criterion other than the number of "likes" and item receives.  People may love the taste of asbestos yet it's still not necessarily a good thing to feed them, and governments may "like" the idea of an aggressive eugenics policy there sees to be more at issue than popular flavour of the month politics.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2011, 02:54:13 pm »
Roman armor from the 1st century and such, no. But later Eastern Roman Empire from 8th century and up are fine with me.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2011, 03:03:26 pm »
Text wall;
(click to show/hide)

Tl;dr
Byzantine/eastern late roman gear would be great, really add to the mod and fit the theme. A legionary wearing armor of a style abandoned 40+ generations ago is a little too far out in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 03:07:32 pm by Peasant_Woman »
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2011, 04:24:00 pm »
Text wall;
(click to show/hide)

You're assuming a couple things here.  The first is that what seems silly to medieval warriors, that is - wearing armour from a thousand years beforehand, does not seem as silly as a) foreign gear and b) the earlier cRPG armours compared to the later gear from a couple hundred years later.  The second is that you think this consideration matters at all.  When players using a Liuweidao and Samurai armour are fighting warriors in Gothic Plate and a Chapel de Fer I really don't care whether they're from ten years before my roleplay or a thousand so long as they conform to the standards of general gear continuity I mentioned in earlier posts.  This attitude seems to be the dev's compromise between the RPers and the more gameplay-focused players.

Your third assumption is that if Romans were to have existed they would be long gone.  This seems to be begging the question.  If one were to roleplay cRPG as a fantasy land, "Calradia" say, then I don't see why Romans cannot be imaged as simply another faction in the mosh that already exists.  If samurai can have any accountability, whether as wondering ronin or as warriors from an established faction, then I don't see why Roman soldiers couldn't be mercenaries from a foreign land too.  My point here is that it's far too easy to get tangled up in roleplay considerations and that this is why there should be a clear developer policy for what may be included into the game, not just people "liking" something on the forums.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2011, 05:02:17 pm »
That in no way answers why such items should be liked or disliked, or whether the devs have or should have a specific decision-making criterion other than the number of "likes" and item receives.  People may love the taste of asbestos yet it's still not necessarily a good thing to feed them, and governments may "like" the idea of an aggressive eugenics policy there sees to be more at issue than popular flavour of the month politics.

Now I'm really curious what side effects inclusion/exclusion of roman items in cRPG could have. I expect something as grave as lung cancer or the slaughter of handicapped people.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2011, 05:06:16 pm »
If we are to infer a time frame for the mod from the weapons and armor present then it would be about 1000-1300.AD.
More like 1200-1600, A lot of Renaissance gear in there.