Author Topic: Roman Armor and Weapons  (Read 14267 times)

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
Re: Roman Armor and Weapons
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2011, 01:30:35 am »
Roman/Byzantine gear is more tenable than kevlar et al. because Roman gear is not OP alongside current cRPG gear.  cRPG has, for a while now, been about gameplay and roleplay.  cRPG roleplay, the devs seem to have decided, is an individual affair.  It's up to individuals to make their own specific aesthetic styles, matching things like Milanese armour with an Italian Sword or deciding to completely mash diverse cultures, times, and looks.  Though it may be immersion-breaking for hardcore roleplayers to see samurai fighting hoplites, the devs have decided that they won't burden the majority of players with the onus of one specific RP setting.  Instead we get a diverse set of vaguely medieval european armours, middle-eastern themed gear, and East Asian stuff too!  In this context of personal imagination driving roleplay, rather than an isolated in-game setting, I don't see a reason not to include historically based non-op/gamechanging gear.

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2011, 02:07:53 am »
Diomedes said it perfectly. Almost as good as if I had said it myself, minus the sarcasm and curses.

I desire roman shit, dammit.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2011, 02:57:14 am »
The more variety the better, but my only concern is that full roman legion armor would clash too much with current cRPG armor. No objections to late period roman/Byzantine armor and weapons though;

(click to show/hide)

You can already get quite close to a late period roman warrior pretty much by the way;

(click to show/hide)
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Joseph

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • I am your worst french nightmare.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2011, 03:25:13 am »
What are you talking about?

Didn't thought you were that dumb. Oh, I think I did.
"Dam those peasants bite hard"

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2011, 10:32:42 am »
Why don't people come up with some new interesting armor designs rather than just copying it from history?

I thought we were fighting in Calradia, not in Europe.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2011, 01:07:11 pm »
very good point Phantom, we donĀ“t need historical accuracy, we just need new gear.

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2011, 01:34:03 pm »
Why don't people come up with some new interesting armor designs rather than just copying it from history?

I thought we were fighting in Calradia, not in Europe.

becouse we want to fight in europe ;)

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Philip :)
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2011, 05:20:38 pm »
may i ask why we shouldn't?

because cRPG is set in middleages AND I WANT IT STAY IN MIDLLE AGES BEFORE IT BECOMES EVEN A BIGGER CLOWN PARTY! oO
This masterwork bolt will send you straight to hell Tincan!

Offline Hunter_the_Honourable

• Count
  • Renown: 229
  • Infamy: 178
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Killing fairy riders for the good of cRPG.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-fairy riders.
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2011, 05:54:37 pm »
because cRPG is set in middleages AND I WANT IT STAY IN MIDLLE AGES BEFORE IT BECOMES EVEN A BIGGER CLOWN PARTY! oO

shit sorry now i remember studying Calradia and all of its wars and kingdoms, how silly of me its so easy to forget that its a real place and is set in real time im so stupid.

you personally don't want this and its fine but stop making shit up its not a real place its not set in history its a fantasy game, ITS FANTASY NOT REAL LIFE REMEMBER THAT YOU FOOL!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 05:56:13 pm by Hunter_the_Honourable »
How can you trust People?
They are Humans
I never trust Humans.

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2011, 06:53:01 pm »
-1. The Roman Empire armor does not match with all the other items. The other items are coming from around the same time period.
Roman armor don't.
you're an idiot. You think that full plate armour was invented in the same time period as mail? Unless your time period is several hundred years wide of course

And why's everyone want late period roman armour? We already have that basically

I want the segment armour, So I can make a proper legionnaire character. I don't see what the giant fuss is about, it's more equipment, it won't be overpowered.
And no more historical accuracy arguments, you negated those when you let vikings fight ninjas...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:00:26 pm by LordRichrich »

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2011, 09:14:34 pm »
ya really the hell, who cares if the black characters will look weird with the roman armor

I dont
Just a soldier

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2011, 10:40:56 pm »
Roman/Byzantine gear is more tenable than kevlar et al. because Roman gear is not OP alongside current cRPG gear.  cRPG has, for a while now, been about gameplay and roleplay.  cRPG roleplay, the devs seem to have decided, is an individual affair.  It's up to individuals to make their own specific aesthetic styles, matching things like Milanese armour with an Italian Sword or deciding to completely mash diverse cultures, times, and looks.  Though it may be immersion-breaking for hardcore roleplayers to see samurai fighting hoplites, the devs have decided that they won't burden the majority of players with the onus of one specific RP setting.  Instead we get a diverse set of vaguely medieval european armours, middle-eastern themed gear, and East Asian stuff too!  In this context of personal imagination driving roleplay, rather than an isolated in-game setting, I don't see a reason not to include historically based non-op/gamechanging gear.

I don't know why you bring stats into a discussion that is solely concerned with style. A kevlar vest could be a pretty bad armor stat-wise, but I would still not like it in the game, because it breaks my immersion in a medieval-like world. Same would happen if I saw a roman legionnaire on the field. Same happens with samurais. Of course, the worst thing are the samurai vikings with swiss halberds. If I was on the dev team, i'd introduce item groups, which can't be intermixed.

your exaggerating it by making it sound as if adding it would destroy cRPG and that firearms would be better face it you personally don't like it so you dont want it which is fair, however it doesn't give you the right to  make stuff up about a historical time line because its a fantasy game in a fantasy world so stop talking crap.

Who said anything about firearms or about roman items destroying cRPG? I just asked you whether you would like kevlar armor in the game. It's a valid question. All the arguments you made in support of your roman stuff can also be used to support kevlar armor.
And you are right that I personally don't like roman stuff to be intermixed with medieval stuff. My opinion is as valid as yours in this case.

you're an idiot. You think that full plate armour was invented in the same time period as mail? Unless your time period is several hundred years wide of course

And why's everyone want late period roman armour? We already have that basically

I want the segment armour, So I can make a proper legionnaire character. I don't see what the giant fuss is about, it's more equipment, it won't be overpowered.
And no more historical accuracy arguments, you negated those when you let vikings fight ninjas...

It doesn't matter when stuff was INVENTED. Mail armor was used alongside plate, because it was a lot cheaper to make and maintain. Also, WE didn't negate anything. As I said earlier, pointing at bad things is no excuse to make it worse. Most people who are against roman stuff would also like the japanese stuff begone. And those who don't, can still claim that it's at least from around the same timeframe. Maybe this doesn't matter for you, but it obviously does for some people.

Didn't thought you were that dumb. Oh, I think I did.

Sorry I can't hear your arguments because the personal insults are too loud.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2011, 02:50:13 am »
I don't know why you bring stats into a discussion that is solely concerned with style. A kevlar vest could be a pretty bad armor stat-wise, but I would still not like it in the game, because it breaks my immersion in a medieval-like world. Same would happen if I saw a roman legionnaire on the field. Same happens with samurais. Of course, the worst thing are the samurai vikings with swiss halberds. If I was on the dev team, i'd introduce item groups, which can't be intermixed.

Yes, but the devs have decided, within their own bounds of reasonableness, not to impose a genre of roleplay onto the playerbase.  They've so far only omitted things which are completely gamebreaking, like guns, and complete anachronisms, like armour specifically designed to stop bullets.  The common feature among all the gear so far included is that it's premised on a pre-industrialized combat setting.  That said, I don't think there's a particular manifesto for whether or not weapons are included.

...at least, not that I know of...

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2011, 03:11:45 am »
That said, I don't think there's a particular manifesto for whether or not weapons are included.

...at least, not that I know of...

They have to look like they might just concievably be able to kill someone if swung hard enough.
Regarding the style argument I believe that most players are just happy that the armor and weapons we do have were all in wide use somewhere in the world at roughly the same time as each other, keeping with the 'we are mercenaries from many different locations and cultures but the same time period who have traveled to a fictional place where large wars are pretty much a daily occurance to find work' theme.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Civilian

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 6
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Civilian_ATS
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2011, 10:04:08 am »
I would of loved to see the set of armors that Gorath made to be added. They had both greek and roman influences. Too bad Gorath's hard drive crapped out before they were finished.

(click to show/hide)