Poll

Which one do you want to play ?

Old cRPG
85 (62%)
New cRPG
52 (38%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Old cRPG Battle vs New cRPG Battle Poll !  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2757
  • Infamy: 716
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Old cRPG Battle vs New cRPG Battle Poll !
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 03:48:00 pm »
+2
People always tend to overestimate the past versions because they were "newer" players back then and therefore had more fun and enjoyment of the game.
However, if we try to look objectively at this matter, the new c-rpg is much, much better overall.

Have you played the old version?

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 03:50:18 pm »
+1
Old cRPG battle (what I remember):
A lot of the time mindless charges (just like today), where they get shot to pieces by much stronger ranged and extremely more OP cav than nowadays. (fun tiems!)
After a few rounds of this, sometimes someone would take charge and there will be some "tactics" (that is, stand close together in a shieldwall with spears and wait for the enemy to mindless charge)
Once in a blue moon both teams do "tactics", then it's a game of who gets tired of waiting first, standing in a shieldwall, the cav fighting each other, and ranged having a fun time.
Delaying by certain classes after the clash has happened and it's time to pick off the stragglers (we all know it, it has been discussed over 9000 times on this forum).

Just because you only remember those last ones which you apparently liked (I did not like to wait 4 minutes then be in a big formation, its like being dead for most of the round, yay fun) does not make it the norm. Nostalgia goggles are a bitch.

Nowadays it is imo better, flags are a big improvement, less open maps make cav slightly less broken, ranged is in a better place than it was, ...
Overall a better game, the shame is that people have played it far too much and get tired of it and leave, its after all an old mod for an obscure game
That was the only fun part of this game. 50 people doing same thing in order to win. Waiting 4 minutes hoping you won't get shot and trying to cover your ranged,hoping they soften the enemy ranks...

We are playing simple deathmatch now. Sorry i do not enjoy this.

Offline woody

• Earl
  • Renown: 407
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Woody, Weebo, Wreky
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 03:52:33 pm »
+8
Personally as a beginner I found following tanks around the battlefield as they slaughtered hordes of peasants a bit crap.

Maybe reason less players now its an old game that has not been marketed for years? My own opinion is without changes this mod would now be dead.

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 03:58:33 pm »
+1
That was the only fun part of this game. 50 people doing same thing in order to win. Waiting 4 minutes hoping you won't get shot and trying to cover your ranged,hoping they soften the enemy ranks...

We are playing simple deathmatch now. Sorry i do not enjoy this.
Thing is, it was not an option, it was the only option, if you did not do it you were not alive to fight, you had been picked off far before reaching that.
Remember GK? The cav clan that was after 10 seconds was always spawnraping, so that you had to spawn instantly and move as a big blob immediately or you were dead?
It had some good things too, but the most important one cannot be recovered: it was NEW, and so people enjoyed it more. Also, for slightly skilled people who had been playing for a while, they were the kings, heavy armour, high levels, a bunch of peasants who could not block or afford any decent equipment, of course that was fun for the knights, now the proportion of knights vs peasants has tilted a lot in the other direction, to the point that peasants hardly even exist.
Also, if you want tactics, feel free to try some strategus battles, that is much more what you are describing than EU1.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 04:02:18 pm »
+4
Please explain me why ?
Well, because I liked most of the patchnotes since the time I started playing, which easily means the mod has been becoming better and better.

(for me ofc, but I also assume most people agree with me on general ideas of what's better for the mod, at least I've never seen a patch having mostly negative feedback from players)

Have you played the old version?
Yes, I have played the version older than current, is that what you mean?
I don't see how my logic couldn't be applied to any earlier versions though.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:13:35 pm by Macropus »

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 04:12:14 pm »
+4
Adding the flags was a huge boost to gameplay.  Having an objective makes tactics more relevant, and team cohesion more important.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 04:16:21 pm »
+17
Rofl, wtf is this. Old crpg, how old? Clearly not back in pre-multiplier so after that change, and i dont think theres been any changes to formations since then afaik. I dont see how there was more realism back then, and i dont remember any formations. New player friendly, i dont know about that, its always been hard for peasants but now the average skill has simply gone up by a lot which is something you cant really change with patches. Game was never realistic and unbalanced does not = fun. Kiting archers with massive damage was not fun, maybe you like it i dunno.

Feels like you are talking about a different game, or just picking out 2 or 3 cool things that happened in the past and then blame that the game has changed, while its actually the community that is changing. No one takes command, and no one listens anyways. Formations do happen but they have never been effective except on rare occasions.

Also the reason why the servers arent hitting a 100 players is because the mod is OLD! The fact that it still occasionally hits 100+ players is pretty damn awesome.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:21:55 pm by Gravoth_iii »
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 04:27:25 pm »
+6
I miss some of the old maps, but that's pretty much it. (and awlpike with shield). There's less waiting around for ranged on rooftops, HX riding around, people camping on the edge of the map, and kiting melee/ranged heroes trying to 1v1 15 people. Nowadays when I die, I think "there was nothing I could've done there" more rarely and instead think "I should have done X, Y, or Z" much more often, which is a good thing.

I also generally preferred 20-60 players on a server (nowadays more like 50-80), where you weren't just fodder and could see how your actions influenced the round as a whole. When there were too many people on, one could play 2x better or worse and nothing would really change

You can take initiative yourself with the commander poll, setting flags over your head, etc., but it sounds like you merely want to act as a cog in a greater machine. You have more tools to succeed with more tactical and organized play, but if players who value those things don't utilize these tools, people who couldn't care less sure won't. I'm surprised that no one really made a clan for the purpose of using commander chat effectively and leading the team.

Offline Cow_

• Knight
  • Renown: 59
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: The_Secret_Cow, The_Suspicious_Cow, etc.
  • IRC nick: Cow
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 04:28:46 pm »
+1
I miss the EU_Melee back in the days
Had so much fun there!  :lol:

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 04:45:17 pm »
+1
Pre multipliers, pre upkeep and lvling up being easier and not having hardcaps at certain levels where when it was really good imo. Going back 2 basics with a few tweaks would be good.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 04:47:39 pm »
+1
Not really. They just slowed down the combat speed which makes it easier to block because everything is old people combat speed.

True, also dont forgot turn rate nerf....
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 04:50:12 pm »
+1
There are no hardcaps? soft cap is 36, but you can potentially hit 37 right? Also pre-upkeep was horrible, imagine it now. Everyone would be playing cav/tincan or both.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 04:55:37 pm »
+6
I'd call it turn rate 'adjustment'. Am I really the only one thinking that turn rate change was a good one? It took away shietload of bullshit from the game.

Skyrim UI

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 04:56:23 pm »
+3
There is no old and no new crpg. It is one version that is getting fixed and improved. Wouldn't ever want to play crpg as it was in late 2010/2011.

edit: Improvements can be good and bad, they certainly can be bad in a subjective view, not everyone can like every change. That doesnt mean the game doesnt get improved or gets better.
It certainly got better  tho.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:00:04 pm by Miwiw »
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 05:03:28 pm »
+1
There are no hardcaps? soft cap is 36, but you can potentially hit 37 right? Also pre-upkeep was horrible, imagine it now. Everyone would be playing cav/tincan or both.

It still takes a ton of time compared to before.

Turn rate nerf. Lance angle nerf. Removal of ladders. Slots added (if there had to be a slot system only really special weapons should be using them such as flamberge etc...).

Oh and big nerfs. Courser speed nerf (its 46 lol...fastest horse ingame and 46 speed) and combat speed slowed down heavily from early days. It's old people crpg now. Zero reflexes needed.

Only major good things that have been added since then are flags (although it needs a serious fix and shouldn't spawn so easily), clan banners (although they should be free and not be another gold sink and the banner slots won't be available for everyone if they were free is BS as so few players play nowadays and lots of existing clans are dead/inactive) and marketplace + STF.

Besides that changes since 2010 suck.