Poll

Which one do you want to play ?

Old cRPG
85 (62%)
New cRPG
52 (38%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Old cRPG Battle vs New cRPG Battle Poll !  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1618
  • Infamy: 1258
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Old cRPG Battle vs New cRPG Battle Poll !
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 05:18:23 pm »
+2

Yes, I have played the version older than current, is that what you mean?
I don't see how my logic couldn't be applied to any earlier versions though.

I'm referring to pre-upkeep cRPG.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 05:20:38 pm »
+1
Compared to before, do you mean the time when people hit level 40+? Because that was some crazy shit, i dont think i want that back.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline phnxhdsn

• Earl
  • Renown: 355
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium / Vanguard / DMG
  • Game nicks: Phoenix, Mangudai
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 05:34:12 pm »
+2
The reason they have to use flags is because of Horse-ranged, I think HA's need a massive accuracy nerf as i know i can ride full speed and still be like 90% accurate with my 18/22 build... Because ages ago when they were considered one of the worst classes meant that only really good HA could do well with it, Now everyone wants to play it because it's extremely good, and that's why in the current state of the game flags are needed. Also that's a pretty biased argument towards old-cRPG there are plenty of good things about the game now, but i have to agree with a lot of the points..

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 06:22:16 pm »
+2
Compared to before, do you mean the time when people hit level 40+? Because that was some crazy shit, i dont think i want that back.

Because a montone non-crazy 50-60 players max at prime time is soooo much better where so much is balanced? Lol. Bows were a major pain in the ass. Throwing Lances were the weapon of God. Arbalests were a true bitch. 2h swords could strike you before you could even react with incredible power. Lancers had a superior lancing angle and striked heavy and fast, katanas and 1h swords could spam you insanely fast. Tincan armors that actually defended yourself quite well...

High dmg crushthrough.... Everything was so powerful that for every class there was always something that your specific class were superior in others to and that made you unique.

Now it's ''hmm should i go 18/21 2H great sword build or 21/18 hmmmm hmmm..''

And with upkeep implemented it lost some of the RPG-esque feeling to it because what you grinded/fought hard for isn't really yours as it's like you're constantly paying an overpriced loan for it.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 06:35:42 pm »
+3
Because a montone non-crazy 50-60 players max at prime time is soooo much better where so much is balanced? Lol. Bows were a major pain in the ass. Throwing Lances were the weapon of God. Arbalests were a true bitch. 2h swords could strike you before you could even react with incredible power. Lancers had a superior lancing angle and striked heavy and fast, katanas and 1h swords could spam you insanely fast. Tincan armors that actually defended yourself quite well...

High dmg crushthrough.... Everything was so powerful that for every class there was always something that your specific class were superior in others to and that made you unique.

Now it's ''hmm should i go 18/21 2H great sword build or 21/18 hmmmm hmmm..''

And with upkeep implemented it lost some of the RPG-esque feeling to it because what you grinded/fought hard for isn't really yours as it's like you're constantly paying an overpriced loan for it.

The balancing doesnt have anything to do with the player amount decreasing. Its just a really old mod and people are getting bored.

Pre-upkeep wasnt fun once people had grinded their gear. The choices were "should i go plate archer, plate 2h+thrower (throwing oneshot anything that wasnt plate) or plate cav with either crushthrough morningstar or oneshot 180 degree lance cav. 1h's were never used iirc. Everything was insanely powerful, fortunately the average skill level was quite low at the time, but if we went back to that it would be hell.

I agree i loved the rpg feeling of finally getting my gear and all that, but in the long run it just didnt work.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline NJ_Legion_Icedtea

• Count
  • Renown: 259
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Icedtea
  • IRC nick: Icedtea
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2014, 06:43:32 pm »
+4
Personally I would love to see big shieldwalls, nice formations and tactics used.

However the main problem for this is not anything to do with the actual game or maps its because no one can force someone to play a certain way, if someone wants to run off and 'Rambo' then no one can stop them

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2014, 06:53:25 pm »
+4
This forum could use a few more of these posted throughout the place.

Feel free to reminisce, just don't forget to come back to reality, afterwards.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2014, 07:02:09 pm »
+5
So much rose tinted nostalgia glasses bullshit going on in this thread. Now when you said old cRPG Battle I thought of the pre-upkeep, pre-slot system and proximity xp aka 2010. However you are talking about multipliers so you are basically talking about the current meta. I have no clue what you think explains the immense difference in enjoyment you had between multiplier system a while a go and multiplier system now, because there haven't been any real game changing changes. The only explanation then is a really bad case of nostalgia glasses.

Now when talking about 2010 cRPG I would definitely agree that a battle round was a much more epic experience. The game has obviously improved immensely in nearly every aspect since those times, I can't take anyone seriously who denies that, I just don't think the multiplier system has proven to be an improvement over the proximity xp at all. To illustrate 2010 Battle, here is a little clip.

(click to show/hide)

I loved how any open map caused two shieldwalls to be formed, with usually a short skirmish until one side charged. Then this intense melee clusterfuck would follow to decide who wins. No groups of archers taking potshots from the edge of the map, no hiding crossbowmen, no 2h duellists trying their best to avoid helping the team. In my opinion this is much better than these days, where I have extreme trouble to even find any cohesion in my team to stick to as a pikeman. It's just spread out everywhere and we will see what happens. Proximity xp caused epic situations where chat communication would cause an entire team to move in one direction, you saw players like Phazh winning rounds by doing solid pub commanding. A change to the xp system is a must in my opinion, however that in itself won't bring back the same vibe. Of course the player skill has changed, but also the ease of getting a shield or a ranged sidearm or a back up anti cav weapon has dropped of a cliff. Nearly everybody had a shield in the old days and many had a ranged sidearm, people could pull a pike out of their arse, that versatility made group fighting much more effective. No doubt nowadays everybody would be too afraid to get shot to make open maps work even if there was proximity xp.

Oh I think I got it now. You seem to think that the early appearance of flags is the only reason that we do not have any team cohesion these days anymore which is just plainly retarded. Team cohesion has been mostly gone for like 2 years now and literally nothing changed in that regard since early flags.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:09:16 pm by Teeth »

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 07:33:38 pm »
+3
XP system will get changed when the dev who's doing it feels like finishing, lol. Teeth, NA is still like that, since we just lemming W key until 2 blobs meet most of the time, or 4 blobs in 2 different clash locations.

Let's go back to old cRPG #s.

Old armour soak, randomization, ranged penetration, few limb modifiers from ranged:

Arbalest on 70 body armour:
old: 26-63
now:  28-36

35p, 6PD, 150 wpf bow on 70 armour
old: 3-33
now: 15-19

7PS, 40 cut, 150 wpf, 70 armour
old: 3-26
now: 9-14

This does not take into account damage bonuses from speed, holds, etc, so melee damage is on the low end. Averages are closer than they appear for the melee #s due to the way damage against armour scales at the highest and lowest ends as well as the soak/reduce differences.

If you want to go back to dice rolls and have your life decided by random 1shots or glances, be my guest. Before the armour soak change, I quit to the steel pick, since I would randomly glance on good swings otherwise (had a 9PS character back then). I wasn't there for proximity, though, and didn't really care about slots back then. I think slots are pretty good for giving some underused weapons the light of day, but I wouldn't care if the system was changed or removed, really.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2014, 07:54:31 pm »
+2
You're also talking about archers that were way more powerful (no slot system, and a lot faster/harder hitting projectiles, closer to native than we have now, amongst other things).  Horses that had ridiculously low riding requirements.  Lances that could stab in over a 180 degree arc.  Bar mace that had crush through, archers camping on rooftops (and ladders breaking making it impossible to reach said archers). 

Overall the game is being improved with every patch.  Sometimes they take a step back, but they are overall taking strides forward over time. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2014, 08:35:54 pm »
+1
I'd call it turn rate 'adjustment'. Am I really the only one thinking that turn rate change was a good one? It took away shietload of bullshit from the game.

It took away shietload of bullshit from the game.

It took away
:(

Offline PsychoTwins

• Earl
  • Renown: 453
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: FarmerBob, NinjaBob, 20PingIsHardBob, StrIsHardBob, HaxorBob
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2014, 08:36:43 pm »
+3
Now to take OP's post and show how this can easily be flipped when you choose what you want.

OLD CRPG IS WORSE CUZ:
-OMG SO MANY PEOPLE.
-ARCHERS CAN KITE EVERYONE? THIS IS BS
-HA's DO SOOO MUCH DMG WTFTFTF???!?!?
-PIKES CAN HIT THROUGH WALLS THAT IS CHEATING
-HOLY SHIT CAV IS SO GOD DAMN OP AMIRITE?

New CRPG:
HA's are weaker and cant delay maps because of flags.
Archers are more balanced (IMO, which is the right opinion right?)
Cav has been nerfed about 9 times, still good when used by a good player, but some drawbacks
Pikes can not do stupid bs hits as easily.
Less people so tactics do actually work better and each individual matters.
Player skill average is way higher now so thats why noobs get wrecked, but that happened to all of us.

-TL;DR
All you did was take a few points that may have been kinda cool in the past, without looking at the problems that caused huge amounts of QQ threads.
Biased opinion is biased.
Here, dear crpg folk, we have an honest man who doesn't conceal the truth out of the fear of getting nerfed. He surely deserves a round of heartfelt applause.

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2014, 08:51:30 pm »
Actually combat has been slowed down a lot and C-rpg is actually a lot more about teamwork now than it was back then(woo....... no, i prefer solo heroes more, but i have to settle with teamwork). So i actually think there are more teamwork now, than there was back then. 

This is ofc only regarding the infantry, dont know much about ranged/cav back then.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:55:35 pm by _GTX_ »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2014, 09:10:23 pm »
+2
Perhaps compared to the days of 250 wpf combat has been slowed down, but I am fairly sure that combat is currently as fast if not faster than it ever was in 2011.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2014, 09:24:45 pm »
+3
Perhaps compared to the days of 250 wpf combat has been slowed down, but I am fairly sure that combat is currently as fast if not faster than it ever was in 2011.
Aside from just a few minor exceptions, I certainly agree. Probably what has caused the feeling of things "slowing down" the most, is simply that player skill has increased. It takes significantly longer to kill anyone that you run into, simply because they can actually block now. It's rare that I actually run into someone that clearly struggles with manual blocks.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character