Poll

What would you vote?

Independence
76 (52.8%)
UK
68 (47.2%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Author Topic: Independent Scotland  (Read 12302 times)

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
Re: Independent Scotland
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 03:31:22 pm »
Free Scotland! I hope my homeland Waldeck will be an independend State again one day XD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldeck_%28state%29

Offline BASNAK

• King
  • Renown: 1349
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MolonLave_Garlic
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 04:33:48 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2014, 05:28:26 pm »
Sounds a little bit silly in my opinion, maybe they want closer ties with the EU but that's apparently not going to happen anyway. The whole issue with the pound sounds complicated. If they leave the UK can't they just steal the plates and create their own central bank?

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2014, 05:37:10 pm »
To be honest im not up to scratch on the economics but my understanding is they can use their own invention of the pound willy nilly or make up their own currency but if they wanted a stronger currency with the British pound then they would have to enter a currency union with the central bank being the Bank of England controlling everything to do with the use of it (interest rates ect ect). Simple fact is though all political parties have said no to this option.

Salmonds response is to say that Scotland will default on its share of the debt if we don't. A daft plan as thats financial and political suicide and there's zero point in independence if your currency is still controlled by the country your trying to gain independence from.

Using the euro is also not really an option until somewhere very far along the line in many years. Its probably the most important question that Salmond continues to ignore. Acting like a cry baby because westminster said no to a currency union.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 05:41:59 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 906
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2014, 05:45:52 pm »
Are there any muslim converts in Scotland?

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2014, 05:46:34 pm »
Probably.

Offline jtobiasm

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Tobi
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2014, 06:09:48 pm »

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2014, 07:55:27 pm »
+4
Scotland wont be better off out of the union economically no matter what salmond says the facts say otherwise.

Scotland would either need to raise taxes or lower the amount that is spent without the union.

Scotland currently gets free NHS prescriptions. English people have to pay £7.50 per prescription
Scottish people get free Eye tests, English people have to pay an avg of £19 for one.
Scottish people get free Old age care, English people have to fully pay if they own assets over £23,000
Scottish students pay no tuition fees, even if they attend a university in England. Students born south of the border face paying up to £9,000 a year.

As far as tax payer money goes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2511523/Scots-1-600-head-English-Figure-huge-benefits-enjoy-Union.html

Every Scot gets £10,152 spent on them, compared to £8,529 for the English, £9,709 for the Welsh and £10,876 for those living in Northern Ireland.

A breakdown of the different policy areas show that Scots enjoy £307 per head spent on housing, while the English get just £138.
Scots also get more than twice as much spent on them than the English on economic development: £992 per head compared to £469.

As for Europe for Scotland to join they have to take the euro there is no way around that its one of the terms, not to mention Spain will make it incredibly difficult to deter the Catalans from trying the same thing.

i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 153
  • Infamy: 1373
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2014, 09:06:57 pm »
Well, if England can't "persuade" Scots to stay in the Union, don't see how much weaker country like Spain can prevent Catalans or Basques.

If this go through, no more Union Jack, is that right?

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2014, 09:12:44 pm »
It'll still be the union jack...just changed.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2945
  • Infamy: 225
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2014, 09:27:49 pm »
What's wrong with St George's Cross, your inner muslim can't accept it?

They probably considered putting eight legged Muhammad with elephant trunk on the green background, but ya know, there's a thing in Quran that forbids that kind of stuff. Which is a shame, because it would look downright glorious.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2014, 09:29:03 pm »
+1
Trying to hard Leshma. Far to hard.

You almost sound like your trying to be Oberyn or Xant.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2014, 09:39:19 pm »
I really have no idea just now without proper research which would be the better option, it doesn't sound that good of a deal, however..

http://www.independentscotland.org/content/voting-yes-for-scottish-independence.htm

Okay I am convinced by these unbiased, real truths. Go go freeeeeeedooooooom scotlend!

lol
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 711
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Torr and FleetFox
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2014, 10:32:44 pm »
+2
Just seen this thread! Me being an Englishman living on the border of Scotland (also having lived 8 years in the highlands of Scotland), I can say I very much hope they vote aye! Seriously, it is in the interests of Scotland but not the rest of the UK. But why should Scotland care about that? They have the chance to get up away from the sinking ship that is the UK, being able to democratically choose to rid themselves of the top down London elites who rule this country for the worse is an amazing opportunity. It's a little tough to explain some reasons why Scotland should vote yes to people of different countries. Especially those who have never lived in Scotland or rest of the UK for a long period of time. You might think this is just a very emotional idea, and that people should grow up, but trust me there are things deep down, the wrongs done to Scotland by England that need to be accounted for. One example all the illegal wars they have taken Scotland into, or the fact England uses Scotland as its Nuclear and military base.

I could honestly write and talk for ages about this shit, I know I can't vote and has nothing to do with myself. But there are some of us in the rest of UK who wish Scotland does vote yes, so a brighter more respectful nation can be made, and one I would be happy to move back to and help build :)

There are a number of sides to this debate: politics, economics, security etc. I would just like to comment on the currency issue, as this is often raised by the no campaign (pretty much the only trick they have). Imo Scotland would be better with making its own currency full stop. This is so it can handle and make its own interests rates and other fiscal policies without needing to wait on the Band of England all the way in London. However there is a lot of bullshit about Scotland not being able to continue with the pound. The big politicians have said it is impossible etc etc. Well this is just fluster and scaremongering, they can't stop Scotland from using the pound if it wants to, its an International currency ffs ^^ It seems at the moment a currency union is the most favoured option in the Independence white paper. But only time will tell.

Edit: from reading previous comments in this thread, please can I stress you to stop concentrating on the leaders of this campaign like Salmond. Alex Salmond, whether you like or dislike him is just one guy, there are thousands of people in the Yes campaign that make the difference. There are also many highly reputable experts such as the Noble Prize Winner economist Joseph Stiglitz, that are on the Yes side. These poeple who have thought about and worked through the challanges that a independent Scotland wiill face. I sincerely hope the Scots grow some balls and actually vote for hope rather than fear...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:48:04 pm by FleetFox »
"Its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2014, 10:44:47 pm »
Just seen this thread! Me being an Englishman living on the border of Scotland (also having lived 8 years in the highlands of Scotland), I can say I very much hope they vote aye! Seriously, it is in the interests of Scotland but not the rest of the UK. But why should Scotland care about that? They have the chance to get up away from the sinking ship that is the UK, being able to democratically choose to rid themselves of the top down London elites who rule this country for the worse is an amazing opportunity. It's a little tough to explain some reasons why Scotland should vote yes to people of different countries. Especially those who have never lived in Scotland or rest of the UK for a long period of time. You might think this is just a very emotional idea, and that people should grow up, but trust me there are things deep down, the wrongs done to Scotland by England that need to be accounted for. One example all the illegal wars they have taken Scotland into, or the fact England uses Scotland as its Nuclear and military base.

I could honestly write and talk for ages about this shit, I know I can't vote and has nothing to do with myself. But there are some of us in the rest of UK who wish Scotland does vote yes, so a brighter more respectful nation can be made, and one I would be happy to move back to and help build :)

Edit: from reading previous comments in this thread, please can I stress you to stop concentrating on the leaders of this campaign like Salmond. Alex Salmond, whether you like or dislike him is just one guy, there are thousands of people in the Yes campaign that make the difference. There are also many highly reputable experts such as the Noble Prize Winner economist Joseph Stiglitz, that are on the Yes side. These poeple who have thought about and worked through the challanges that a independent Scotland wiill face. I sincerely hope the Scots grow some balls and actually vote for hope rather than fear...

Paha your rhetoric sounds UKIP in manor. They will still have the political elite class in Scotland. The majority of MP's there are exactly the same as the rest of the UK. Largely wealth based. So that will change squat. Most of the reasons are nationalist drivel with no founding.

You realise that Scottish MP's voted for those illegal wars? You know, the ones the Scots voted for?

Yes but he will be the leader in the event of a yes vote. The 'guiding hand' as it were and I would find that the most worrying factor if I was Scottish. His shouting politics won't work when he tries to negotiate his way into the EU. There are also many experts on the no side who are very firmly in the camp that its a poor move.