Poll

What would you vote?

Independence
76 (52.8%)
UK
68 (47.2%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Author Topic: Independent Scotland  (Read 12629 times)

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
Re: Independent Scotland
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 01:38:31 am »
+1
Dat Auld Alliance. I'm for whatever scots choose. Economically I'm not sure independance from GB is such a great idea. They probably benefit more from it than the english do. But there's centuries old tribalism to take into account as well.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 01:40:05 am »
Dat Auld Alliance. I'm for whatever scots choose. Economically I'm not sure independance from GB is such a great idea. They probably benefit more from it than the english do. But there's centuries old tribalism to take into account as well.

Its time for Scotland to be, well, Scotland.  No more slimey limey's or being an EU "territory".

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 01:45:47 am »
If scots vote for independance closer relations to the EU are almost assured, if only to spite eurosceptic english, and balance out english influence.

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 01:53:16 am »
If scots vote for independence closer relations to the EU are almost assured, if only to spite eurosceptic english, and balance out english influence.

Not so sure that's going to happen (immediately going EU, that is), but anything is better than their current arrangements.

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 01:58:16 am »
+1
sometimes when i see all these people wanting a schism/independence/to do things their way i just would like to let them have it and then see how well you can do when the world turn its back to you :/

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 02:01:41 am »
Why would some of the EU members balk at Scotland gaining independence?  How is their opinion of Scotland more important than Scotland doing what it thinks is best for Scotland?

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 02:09:17 am »
+1

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 07:37:53 am »
+1
They didnt seem to mind when Gordon Brown (a scot) was in power just a few years back xD It all rings hollow as a moral stand against the government when Scotland gets behind all of the things you've just listed the moment it comes from a Scottish accent.
It is Scotland's decision, but i still think they should take into account how 'proud' and independent they'll look when they realise their economy is fucked and beg to rejoin again some time after this vote lol. We're talking about a sparse country without much infrastructure or industry, one of the most obese countries in the world (will they have their own National Healthcare Service?), if their sole long-term plan is 'we have some oil' then good luck lol, i wonder if that will even last my lifetime.
depends on how they will share oil, if based on the coast, Scotland will live well 10 years or more. If based on the ratio of the population in Scotland and England, the new national dish will be salad thistle XD
but they can always rent naval base to Russia and China, or air defense bases to protect against Iraq  :P
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:41:40 am by Vovka »

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • Renown: 922
  • Infamy: 361
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Britfag
  • Game nicks: Strudog
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 11:22:39 am »
depends on how they will share oil, if based on the coast, Scotland will live well 10 years or more. If based on the ratio of the population in Scotland and England, the new national dish will be salad thistle XD
but they can always rent naval base to Russia and China, or air defense bases to protect against Iraq  :P

Not true at all, there is not much Oil and Gas left in the North Sea.

Its just economically stupid and in every other way stupid.

It makes no sense one bit,an independent Scotland is not a independent Scotland it will just be controlled from Brussels instead of London.

The Scottish armed forces.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:58:11 pm by Strudog »
This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Little girls are FBI agents.
Those are the rules no?

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 01:26:01 pm »
Not true at all, there is not much Oil and Gas left in the North Sea.
I heard that last until 2050, possibly Russian propaganda. In this case, Scotland the best choice for salad lovers.

It makes no sense one bit,an independent Scotland is not a independent Scotland it will just be controlled from Brussels instead of London.
Same as Ukranian war for independent from Moscow will result in dependence on Brussels.
that's why I wonder what tomorrow will bring  :P
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 12:26:05 pm by Vovka »

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 01:35:15 pm »
+3
Funny thing is about this, if the Scots go this route then it will make the Conservative party in England that much stronger due to the lack of Scottish labour MPs.

If scots vote for independance closer relations to the EU are almost assured, if only to spite eurosceptic english, and balance out english influence.

Unlikely. Members of the EU have already stated they will block Scotlands bid to join the EU (which won't happen for a number of years anyway).

Particularly if the Scots choose to use the pound. Which basically negates any form of independence they would have had anyway as they won't have a central bank if they choose the currency union route and it would all be controlled from London.

Salmond's main argument for an economically viable Scotland has always been the oil. But it's already been argued against multiple times that he is massively overstating the revenues from this and the length of time those reserves are going to last.

Unfortunately he is all talk with very little planning. All he does is shout people down the moment they disagree with him and a large number of Scots are foolish enough to go along with his blind nationalism.

Regardless, either way I'm not particularly bothered, and recently after the promise of more power to Scottish parliament in the event of a no vote I'd honestly prefer them to say yes. At least that way we won't have to deal with another idiotic labour Government and more drain on British resources to the Scottish.

Amusingly a large number of big chains have already advised that prices will rise in Scotland due to the fact costs won't be subsidised from Westminster any more. Everything from broadband (costs more due to distances in Scotland), down to food.

I also find it somewhat foolish that the Scots would consider leaving a Union that actually allows them to consider leaving democratically. There aren't many places in the world where that would be possible and such a peaceful and democratic situation is a bit daft to turn your back on.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:46:31 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 160
  • Infamy: 712
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 02:04:37 pm »
This has something to do with UK (England) moving away form EU, right? If that's the case, England should get a grip of themselves and stop dreaming about British Empire 2.0 and restored Commonwealth. That ain't gonna happen. If they think USA will treat them as partner better than EU (Germans) do at the moment they are fools. At least UK has some influence in EU. USA would just treat them like a bitch, something Americans desire ever since Boston Tea Party.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 02:26:57 pm »
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 05:44:50 pm by SirCymro_Crusader »

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2014, 02:35:55 pm »
+3
I think Wales should be independent as well.   :mad:

Cymru !!!! Cymru !!!!
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 02:39:55 pm »
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 08:58:43 pm by SirCymro_Crusader »