Poll

What would you vote?

Independence
76 (52.8%)
UK
68 (47.2%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Author Topic: Independent Scotland  (Read 12630 times)

Offline Elmuri

• Marshall
  • Renown: 817
  • Infamy: 91
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elmuri and co
Independent Scotland
« on: February 17, 2014, 07:59:08 pm »
+8
In September this year, the Scots will vote whether they will make their own country or stay with the UK. I'm wondering whats the reason for that. For what I know there haven't been any oppression by Englishmen for a long time and the Scottish people are living quite happily? One would think they would have integrated quite well already since it was over 300 years ago when Scotland was conquered. Also they have quite powerful local government as far as I know.

What advantage would independence bring compared to being united with England and the rest? Also yesterday Jose Manuel Barroso said that it would be unlikely that Scotland could join EU, so they would have to go alone, quarreling about the North Sea oil and stuff with their former motherland.. If I was a Scot, I'd just be a proud Scott and happily stay in the UK.

But please enlighten me, is there some other reasons for Scottish independence than pure nationalism, no matter the consequences? And what is Scottish nationalism based on? Being barbaric bagpipe player? Why can't they do that stuff now, why do they need an own country for that?

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
Re: Independent Scotland
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 08:08:59 pm »
The Scottish language is disappearing , afaik most of the Scots cant speak it , or as much as i can speak German (Ich bin Kratos wohne in der Turkei) I think this can be a reason also;
is there anything better than freedom? :P
But I think they should stay with the UK , since there is no racism, double standarts among them.

Offline Elmuri

• Marshall
  • Renown: 817
  • Infamy: 91
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elmuri and co
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 08:16:47 pm »

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 08:21:30 pm »
+1
The interesting part of the debate at the moment is about Scotland keeping the pound.

From all I've gathered since this all began is Salmond doesn't have a clue what he is doing other than a blind nationalist obsession.

The rest of the UK have told him that no, he cannot keep the UK pound in an independent Scotland. The EU have told him that no, Scotland cannot remain a part of the EU if they leave the UK. They will have no access to our NHS, defence force or tax. They will lose all benefits associated with being part of the union.

What does he do? Stamps his feet and throws a hissy fit. He clearly has no plan for how to actually implement independence if it is a yes vote and I'd find that extremely worrying if I were Scottish.

I can only hope the Scots don't follow his blind example and actually use their brains when they vote.

They already have some ridiculous advantages, such as free University education, a larger than fair share of the tax proportion, a considerable representation in parliament. They will lose a lot more if they leave than they gain, particularly under such shoddy leadership.

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • Renown: 882
  • Infamy: 329
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 08:41:46 pm »
+1
muh braveheart

Offline Eugen

• Count
  • Renown: 180
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Postla
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 09:02:18 pm »
Maybe we should have as many independent countries as possible. This would fuck EU - and Greece. Ehm. Lets not join forces, but separate. For each clan its own kingdom. Lets fight our neighbours instead of terrorism. Lets make trade embargos for former federal states.

Sarcasm end.

Dunno. Scots are Scots - if they are in the UK or not. WTF!  :shock:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 09:45:25 pm »
talking to a certain scottsman a while back, he said it was a nice romantic idea of Scottish independence, but fears Scotland is too dependent on England and would go to shit on it's own. I am not the expert on the matter but he explained roughly all the perks Scotland is getting by being the part of the union.

One thing I fotgot to ask him... it's always in the main focus how much England means to Scotland financially etc. but there must me a reason England benefits from Scotland being in the union, just wondering what are those reasons, what does Scotland give to Great Britain?
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 09:52:46 pm »
Supposedly North Sea oil  :rolleyes:

That aside, their contribution to the armed forces is considerable.

I'm sure there must be some other stuff there.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 10:11:20 pm »
Booze? Also, mountains.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 10:11:55 pm »
Haggis? Kilts?
And how!

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 10:21:50 pm »
Ye, you cant really speak anything about opression as such. They technically are free if they can just vote themselves out. Not to mention scotts themselves are basically in high power in the parlament. David Cameron himself having strong scottish roots and the last prime minister Gordon Brown being a scott and Tony Blair is a scott. Noone really gains anything from their independence.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 10:46:03 pm »
+2
From the news today it seems All three major parties are saying there will not be a monetary union and the EU guy said they would have to try to be admitted and it would be difficult. A

Salmond comes on telly and says EU will let us in its their founding principles and UK wouldn't stop them using the pound they just wouldnt (he seems to think a yes vote and Parliment would turn round and go "only joking sure use pound bbc and nhs) It doesnt seem like he has any kind of plan except making a name for himself.
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 12:53:44 am »
Fuck the EU, this Thursday!   :)

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 01:24:09 am »
+1
I respect Scotland's bid for independence, and the peoples will to vote for it. Scotland, a land with a SINGLE elected Conservative MP being ruled by a Conservative government. A government that's drastically cut the social benefits that the poor once had access to, a government that's kicked and screamed about austerity while still failing to crack down on bankers bonuses, and still engaging in wasteful costly wars as the overthrow of the Libyan government in 2011 and the millions of pounds given in aid and equipment given to the Syrian rebels has shown, all the while taking into consideration the large areas of poor scots rife with alcoholism and drug abuse and you have some very good reasons to get out from under Westministers heel. Simply put the majority of scots do not identify nor did they consent or vote for the government that rules them in any way shape or form.

Although I haven't read much into the bid for independence, the pros and cons, from what I've seen the whole NO campaign has been once massive scare mongering campaign. I say good luck to the Scots and the YES campaign.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:32:33 am by Murmillus_Prime »
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka