Well...

Yes
142 (60.7%)
No
30 (12.8%)
Potato
62 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 232

Author Topic: Cheating or not: editing game textures  (Read 9772 times)

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Cheating or not: editing game textures
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 08:23:16 pm »
I thought the devs had some way to track this kind of stuff. The game is a lie.

Offline Torost

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 08:29:38 pm »
+4
I always figured the crossbowmen sticking their crossbows into buildings to see thru them as cheating ...

Prob someone has tried to make all proptextures 50% transparent by now.

Giving complete vision of everyone on the map.

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 08:35:58 pm »
+7
If you need editing for being able to play due to potato-pc (scary mod etc) its okay for me.
If you do that shit and ruin the looks of the game for gettin an advantage, you should eat your own d*** and die.
No mercy for cheaters, mercy for ppl with a bad pc.
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 08:37:57 pm »
+4
http://forum.melee.org/suggestions-corner/cheating-textures/

This was already talked about, and the developers statement is in the 7 pages of chat, you can find it yourselves.

Offline PsychoTwins

• Earl
  • Renown: 453
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: FarmerBob, NinjaBob, 20PingIsHardBob, StrIsHardBob, HaxorBob
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 08:45:40 pm »
http://forum.melee.org/suggestions-corner/cheating-textures/

This was already talked about, and the developers statement is in the 7 pages of chat, you can find it yourselves.

And here is chadz' opinion from that thread(for those who dont wanna read it all)

I can't believe people are raging over the fact that tinkering with your models and textures client side should be restricted or overseen.

Now here is a suggestion. Some servers have the restriction on, some have it off, and you can decide where you want to play. And if you really want to play with your unicorn on the restricted servers, you put it into the review process.

Some people really find something rageworthy in every little thing...

yes
Here, dear crpg folk, we have an honest man who doesn't conceal the truth out of the fear of getting nerfed. He surely deserves a round of heartfelt applause.

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2014, 08:47:28 pm »
+2
There will be validation in the future. Mods will need to be whitelisted by us or you won't be able to connect to official servers.

I guess with future he meant December 2010.
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2014, 08:52:55 pm »
So it's look like i'm cheating since about one year bacause I'm using hierloom pack??? :P
Archer forever :D

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2014, 08:59:59 pm »
+1
So it's look like i'm cheating since about one year bacause I'm using hierloom pack??? :P

There would be an easy way to have allowed textures in the game that are not default, and still not have people using neon pink textures for some weapons/projectiles, and still not let people use bushes/haystacks that are flat on the ground, or have them use transparent walls, or have them essentially turn off fog.  Just wish chadz and cmp implemented their suggestion (where you have to use approved textures, or play on servers that are unrestricted for textures):

I can't believe people are raging over the fact that tinkering with your models and textures client side should be restricted or overseen.

Now here is a suggestion. Some servers have the restriction on, some have it off, and you can decide where you want to play. And if you really want to play with your unicorn on the restricted servers, you put it into the review process.

Some people really find something rageworthy in every little thing...

yes

There will be validation in the future. Mods will need to be whitelisted by us or you won't be able to connect to official servers.

Wish they followed through on this
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 09:04:19 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Smithy

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 33
  • immer Kameraden
    • View Profile
  • Faction: iK
  • Game nicks: iK_Smithy
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 09:03:38 pm »
+3

You didn't read the thread.  :rolleyes:

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 09:07:33 pm »
You didn't read the thread.  :rolleyes:

nor really, bu there were topics like this one already, and there is no sensce to read it all, i know  that problem, + and - of using other textures than default, that's why I voted for potato :D

Offline Smithy

• Earl
  • immer Kameraden
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 09:10:28 pm »
+4
nor really, bu there were topics like this one already, and there is no sensce to read it all, i know  that problem, + and - of using other textures than default, that's why I voted for potato :D

If you didn't read it then you don't truly know what its about, or the opinions involved.  In fact you've got it literally entirely backwards.  :rolleyes:

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2014, 09:25:22 pm »
+2
I can say what's inside this thread.
There is a group of ppl changing textures into bright colors (mostly purple) to see better wepons and projectiles to get advantage of that.
Some ppl are more clever and changing models of bushes and hay stacks to become more flat, other ones are playing probably with transparency of some textures to see what is behing some covers.
Some ppl are changing textures to be able to run and play c-rpg on some kind of "wooden pc" (no offence here, i've got problem withh fps and others before i change my pc, i know it hurts)
There is also a group of ppl changing textures to their own to have a badass look of equipment or change a brightness or colors of some parts of their stuff to let it fit better to other parts of equipment. I'm in this group, because i love how longbow and bodkins looks on +3 with hierloom pack.

Some ppl are raging at it, some ppl are saying it's good, but under some conditions. IMO truth is somewhere in a middle :)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 09:35:57 pm »
truth is somewhere in a middle :)

That's what most common sense would tell you, and that's what I'm saying as well.  There is certainly a big difference between having transparent walls, bushes that lay flat on the ground, and having pink projectiles.  They are not all equally as bad as each other.  And then there are things like Final Boss' loom pack, which are not "bad" at all in a cheating sense, they are very cool and people really enjoy using them. 

There's certainly a middle ground here, and I think that is what chadz and cmp said (read my quote of them from March 2013).  The answer would be to have an approved list of texture modifications, if you want to mod a texture, you'd have to get it submitted and approved before you can connect to a game server.  Seems like a no-brainer solution to me.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Smithy

• Earl
  • immer Kameraden
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 09:39:58 pm »
+4
@Steve: Ok good, that's the thread in a nutshell.  :)  I also agree with you.  As I stated on the previous page, modifying textures for good is cool, modifying them for evil is not.

No one said the Loom Pack is evil.  :)

@Huseby:  It would have been nice if the developers implemented a system like that, but it would take a bit of work.  I imagine they will have something similar in M:BG.  Especially considering the game and the Donkey Crew will be under quite a bit of public scrutiny, if its so easy to "wallhack".  RIP APB.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 10:06:13 pm »
+14
Fun fact: there is already a system in place and working for a few months now that punishes client side modifications. Its effect is as hard to notice as are the advantages you gain when using such mods.

No, we will not discuss this system, and you will never hear anything else about it.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?