Well...

Yes
142 (60.7%)
No
30 (12.8%)
Potato
62 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 232

Author Topic: Cheating or not: editing game textures  (Read 9854 times)

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • Renown: 569
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
  • Game nicks: MAGA_Jeade, Gregory_McFin, Frat_Lion
  • IRC nick: Jeade
Re: Cheating or not: editing game textures
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2014, 12:30:54 am »
+5
Just seems like a grey area solved by a quick change of the rules.  If you are caught then there will be necessary repercussions.

I'd agree. However, if the rules were changed, it wouldn't solve this scenario as the screenshots (the evidence) was taken before the rule change.

Maybe it's just because I've played as an archer for my whole cRPG existence, but I see this as cheating, or at least deep, deep into the grey area.
Adding tracers to arrows and bolts? I'd say that's crossing the line if it hadn't already.

Also have tracers on arrows and bolts
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2014, 12:33:45 am »
+5
Funny how you can loose all the respect for one guy (FarmerBob) in one thread.
Do you really ruin your whole game experience by using some badly made ugly pink textures just to have an advantage over other players?
Don't you feel like you're able to compete with even chances?
I just want to shout out a big FUCK YOU, im sorry but I can't say it in any different way.
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2014, 01:39:08 am »
+9
You of all people know how easily I die to ranged Smithy, but don't fret my pink arrows are nothing compared to what some of the archers I know have done to their files

Edit: Thought i'd share some of whats really out there. They use :
No fog,
3 month ban
Pink arrows,
3 month ban
Tracers,
perma ban
Mil-Dots(like snipers so they can see arrow drop),
perma ban
semi-transparent buildings(so they can see the building and not run into it yet still see through it),
perma ban
larger arrows,
who gieves a fuck
Highlighted heads of enemies,
3 month ban
sound effects for when they hit an enemy.
3 month ban
Those are all I know of so far.
People who use more then one of those, permaban, this shouldnt even be a debate.
Whoever tries to rectify this, your moral compass is far of and i predict lots of trouble for you in life.

...No wonder archery gets nerfed so much and yet these nerds get on and brag about how they can get 20 kills every round no problem. Lameass cheating fucks. Whatever happened to perma-bans?
surly not the only reason :wink: ,but yes a complette class is being dragged into the dirt by such actions.

@devs
When you got your new game going, please no holding back, just ban every cheating fuck, no matter how much effect those cheats would have, make the community understand not to fuck with you! There seems also be a need for a regular reminder, the newcomers may not know what happened 1-3 years before. In the medival times we have had a "Pranger", a place in the center of the village, where wrongdoers had been put onto display. How about a Website which lists all perma banned and why they had been banned, easily accessible and with some nice medival graphics  :twisted:
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2014, 01:52:47 am »
if you could only change your textures to approved textures, not just whatever neon bright colored object you want.  Maybe I'm 4 years too late in this suggestion though, since people have been able to do this since forever.

Let people change the colors of the weapons/armor/how they look into whatever the hell they want to. It doesn't affect/show up for other players anyhow so i don't see the problem. If they want to edit their armor to look like robocop or have swords that looks like lightsabers then let them do it.

As long as it doesn't give one an advantage. No need to go all Stalin about it.

Offline Novamere

• Duke
  • Renown: 599
  • Infamy: 273
  • cRPG Player
  • Feed me your tears!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Knightmare_
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2014, 02:08:34 am »
+2
I know of 5+ people that use this shit and it should be punished its tampering with your game just like autoblocking and that earns you a perma-ban!

3 of those 5+ have been playing since release so that is going to be rough haha

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2014, 02:13:39 am »
+6
So this subtle punishment method.

No one has noticed it
People are still cheating
Could be that its not working mate...
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Nightingale

• Balancer
  • Renown: 925
  • Infamy: 205
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elderly Woman
  • IRC nick: Nightingale
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2014, 03:05:34 am »
+8
Alternating textures to gain benefits is cheating in my book and should be punishable.

alternating textures like heirloom pack should be fine, as you don't really gain anything from having it installed.

This is just my opinion.

(click to show/hide)

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2014, 03:13:11 am »
+2
I know of 5+ people that use this shit and it should be punished its tampering with your game just like autoblocking and that earns you a perma-ban!

3 of those 5+ have been playing since release so that is going to be rough haha

1 is a Russian archer, 1 is a Turkish archer,  1 is a FCC archer, 1 is another swedish archer and 1 is a brit archer.

Did i nail it?

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2014, 03:16:35 am »
Alternating textures to gain benefits is cheating in my book and should be punishable.

alternating textures like heirloom pack should be fine, as you don't really gain anything from having it installed.

This is just my opinion.

(click to show/hide)

As the devil's advocate, technically the Heirloom pack gives benefits to the user in that the person having it can see when an enemy is using a loomed, or not loomed weapon(and I believe armor, I only used it when it was mostly just weapons). Thus, you can tell who you need to watch for and the weapons that they use. While this isn't a direct benefit, you do know when a loomed weapon is in use against you versus someone who does not have it.  Loomed weapons, in all instances, are better than non-loomed weapons, be it damage, missile speed, weight, weapon speed or health/armor or any combinations.

So, while I don't mind the heirloom pack, don't get on the high horse when you use it, because it is, in effect, the same vein as purple arrows.

How many people use native arrows or bolts? That's also a technical form of cheating too. Even though it's the games shipped with settings, based on how we define this rather ambiguous "gains benefits" then using the anything "native" is just as much cheating. You can't just define it based on "benefit gained" because all texture mods, in some way shape or form, give a benefit to the user over the non user in every instance.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:19:46 am by Lt_Anders »

Offline Novamere

• Duke
  • Renown: 599
  • Infamy: 273
  • cRPG Player
  • Feed me your tears!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Knightmare_
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2014, 03:30:56 am »

1 is a Russian archer, 1 is a Turkish archer,  1 is a FCC archer, 1 is another swedish archer and 1 is a brit archer.

Did i nail it?

Completely! But i dont think they will do anything since people have been using this for years, i know guys who have used it for the past 3 years its no new thing its just now raising an alarm though!

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2014, 05:02:25 am »
+1
Edit: Thought i'd share some of whats really out there. They use : No fog, Pink arrows, Tracers, Mil-Dots(like snipers so they can see arrow drop), semi-transparent buildings(so they can see the building and not run into it yet still see through it), larger arrows, Highlighted heads of enemies, sound effects for when they hit an enemy. Those are all I know of so far.

How do I do this? Someone send me links!!

200 ping must nullify all cheating!

(click to show/hide)
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml

Offline Sir_Wonka

• Count
  • Renown: 235
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Free Sloths of Calradia
  • Game nicks: EggoWaffle_The_Sloth
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2014, 05:37:35 am »
+1
Quick fix, force everybody to repair mod every time they try to launch. Ideas for the year 2014. Devs can get off their asses and fully implement heirloom pack and it's awesomeness :D

Offline PsychoTwins

• Earl
  • Renown: 453
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: FarmerBob, NinjaBob, 20PingIsHardBob, StrIsHardBob, HaxorBob
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2014, 05:58:05 am »
(click to show/hide)

If the devs decide that changing client-side files for a "benefit" is the most important thing that needs to be fixed I will gladly remove the files, could do it right now but im sure people will believe I didn't remove them, and take a ban if they deem necessary. If this is more important than HA's delaying rounds and killing late night servers or the ranged influx in EU, dont know it that well only from what i've heard from EU's, then so be it.
Quick fix, force everybody to repair mod every time they try to launch. Ideas for the year 2014. Devs can get off their asses and fully implement heirloom pack and it's awesomeness :D
It would be a very simple fix for the devs to do by doing this but chadz has already stated how he feels about all this,

I can't believe people are raging over the fact that tinkering with your models and textures client side should be restricted or overseen.

Now here is a suggestion. Some servers have the restriction on, some have it off, and you can decide where you want to play. And if you really want to play with your unicorn on the restricted servers, you put it into the review process.

Some people really find something rageworthy in every little thing...

yes
Here, dear crpg folk, we have an honest man who doesn't conceal the truth out of the fear of getting nerfed. He surely deserves a round of heartfelt applause.

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2014, 06:25:14 am »
+1
The heirloom pack does give an advantage as far as knowing what arrows/bolts/weapons to pick up from a distance, and knowing whether or not an enemy has a loomed weapon.

Plus some of them are quite a bit more visible from a distance, just from the ornate coloring (lol red arrow fletchings).

Should probably remove the tracers/alternate crosshairs/louder horse sounds from the mods compatible with crpg sticky if those are considered cheats.

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • Renown: 569
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
  • Game nicks: MAGA_Jeade, Gregory_McFin, Frat_Lion
  • IRC nick: Jeade
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2014, 07:24:29 am »
+3
If the devs decide that changing client-side files for a "benefit" is the most important thing that needs to be fixed I will gladly remove the files, could do it right now but im sure people will believe I didn't remove them, and take a ban if they deem necessary. If this is more important than HA's delaying rounds and killing late night servers or the ranged influx in EU, dont know it that well only from what i've heard from EU's, then so be it. It would be a very simple fix for the devs to do by doing this but chadz has already stated how he feels about all this,

I think you're subconsciously admitting to realizing this is a bit of a bullshit mod if you're stressing what should be weighted the most on the minds of the devs, not about what's acceptable or not.
I also have to say, I don't see chadz responding to neon pink weapon textures and tracers in that quote, but potentially something less damaging client-side, like changing longswords into huge dildos.
It's possible you just didn't quote enough of it, and I'm ready to be shot down in that regard. I have no idea where that quote came from.

In another light, changing the rules to prevent this sort of modification would at least prevent you from posting 5 ban requests a week as you'd have to remove the modifications before screenshotting.
This may actually be a valid way to keep you from using the texture mods if you continue to post ban requests at the alarming rate you have been.

(click to show/hide)