Author Topic: im fat im fat oh god im fat  (Read 10513 times)

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
Re: im fat im fat oh god im fat
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2013, 05:27:57 pm »
+1
I'm sure no one on this site is a professional body builder so all of this nit-picky advice would help marginally at best, more so for someone who's overweight and just trying to change their lifestyle.

Poop also posted twice in 5 pages so...
And how!

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2013, 05:52:23 pm »
Wat, he doesn't say that protein is bad for you. Obviously it isn't; he's not a hypocrite.

You can appeal to authority all you like, but it's very weak argumentation when you don't provide any proof for your 'facts' other than "i've studied this."

he accuses many diets of being driven by marketing while he is doing exactly that.

and I am not appealing to authority as an argument,  I am the authority.  take it or leave it,  but if this topic is of interest to you, read up on it.  Its what I have done with your provided link as well.  Unfortunately Hofmeklers statements do not comply with the facts.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2013, 06:10:03 pm »
he accuses many diets of being driven by marketing while he is doing exactly that.

and I am not appealing to authority as an argument,  I am the authority.  take it or leave it,  but if this topic is of interest to you, read up on it.  Its what I have done with your provided link as well.  Unfortunately Hofmeklers statements do not comply with the facts.
I suggest you read up on some logic as well. There is no contradiction in what he is doing and saying.

And no, I am the authority. You are wrong. Read up on it if it interests you. Hofmeklers statements are all facts.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2013, 06:20:21 pm »
+1
this is just fucking stupidity

Negative calories is a fucking joke.
These veggies are just low in calories because they are mostly water and cellulose, which the body can't digest. On the internet you can even find such lists containing fruits like tomatoes and pineapples, yeah...

Yes your body might burn 10 extra calories/day if you chew well, but you will still lose fat very slowly or not because your blood insulin is high 24/7. Do you think our ancestors were eating all day? Do you think any ancestral species was eating all the time? No, they were hunting for their prey all day and feasted upon the carcass when the hunt was completed. Stuffing themselves because maybe the next day there wouldn't be anything to eat.
And obviously our digestive system was and still is adapted to that.

The so called starvation mode where your body suddenly thinks that it's smarter to burn muscle mass instead of fat is the biggest crap too (hey fitness suplement producents, here you are again).
There were tests on soldiers (they can be tested legally in inhumane conditions) where they ate at a -5000 calorie deficit. They started losing lean body mass at week 8 when they were at 5% bf. (for those who don't know, see pic)

(click to show/hide)

You need to atleast eat nothing at all for 2 days before your body starts burning muscle
 http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

Come on guys just fucking think. We have evolved from a cell and are now where we stand today. Do you think your body would ignore fat and burn muscle if you didn't eat every 2 hours? Fat is a fucking storage for energy to burn in times of shortage. That's why it's burned much easier than muscle.
When you hear something that sounds like bro science, reflect the idea in an evolutionary point of view for a second. You will find a lot of stupid shit to be easily explained.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 06:59:03 pm by no_rules_just_play »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2013, 06:51:37 pm »
There were tests on soldiers (they can be tested legally in inhumane conditions) where they ate very little, did heavy physical activity and kept slep to a minimum. They actually lost weight and gained muscle.
Those are just normal conditions for soldiers, but yes, it's just common sense that soldiers doing that stuff will be very fit. Even though according to some fitness gurus they should be either fat because their body is in ENERGY SAVING MODE and gets more fat from Cthulhu or lose all of their muscles because... well, because.

And yeah, the fat is there to be burned. It's energy storage. That is why it exists. That is its purpose. Why would the body burn useful muscle instead of fat whose whole purpose is to be burned when there's no food?

The main thing about the 1 meal vs 6 meals is that 1 meal MAKES SENSE. 6 meals per day doesn't, that is not how our bodies have been designed to work. Only extremely small animals eat all the time. The "eat well before you exercise" thing also makes no evolutionary sense.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2013, 07:01:15 pm »
I edited my post because I mixed up two different researches on totally different topics. It's fixed now. ( link for reviewing)

Note that the bodyfat pic is not 100% correct because they also differ in muscle mass. The 6-7% body is a good example of how a muscular guy looks with that .amount of fat
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 07:06:05 pm by no_rules_just_play »

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2013, 07:11:39 pm »
I suggest you read up on some logic as well. There is no contradiction in what he is doing and saying.

And no, I am the authority. You are wrong. Read up on it if it interests you. Hofmeklers statements are all facts.

its cool,  keep using cherokee hair tampons.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2013, 07:28:01 pm »
its cool,  keep using cherokee hair tampons.
Once again you surprise with the amount of evidence you bring to bear against the arguments provided. Keep up the good work.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2013, 08:37:51 pm »
*Rant about something that wasn't said*

We are talking about fat storage and burning. Nobody said anything about burning muscle in this topic, until you that is. You sure beat the hell out of that straw man though  :rolleyes:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2013, 09:32:47 pm »
+1
We are talking about fat storage and burning. Nobody said anything about burning muscle in this topic, until you that is. You sure beat the hell out of that straw man though  :rolleyes:
You claimed eating 6 meals is beneficial for weightloss because your digestive system boosts your metabolism leading to. Faster weight loss.
As arguments to prove your point you used negative calorie foods and your body going into starvation mode when you don't eat often enough.

My rant is an appeal to you and all other people claiming this, so I included a few more arguments that are often used and I explained why they are bullshit too.
Believe me, I started like this. Eating very strict scared of this starvation mode, feeling hungry all the time. Because I was interested in fitness and dieting, basically the only thing that I could focus on except crpg (sad I know, it's better now). I read a few books and a ton of researches (/reviews), intermittent fasting works.

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2013, 12:36:31 pm »
Once again you surprise with the amount of evidence you bring to bear against the arguments provided. Keep up the good work.

haha,  just like any internet debate seems to end:  no you!   :mrgreen:

seriously though.  read my posts again if you like:  I am neither attacking you,  nor saying that the approach you are supporting is all wrong.   
However fitness Gurus tend to misuse technical terms in a context supporting their products (in this case his diet),  generally oversimplifying and tending their cause.
Sometimes grossly focusing on one aspect and (criminally) neglecting all the others linked to it.  One thing you can be sure of:  using a guru's statement is not a supporting argument.

Btw,  I am not sure how old you are,  but evolving interest in training physiology and trophology where the things that made me go into medicine.  If you are interested in this shit,  you might want to consider a career here as well,  its fucking awesome seeing how all the pieces fall into place.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2013, 01:43:45 pm »
haha,  just like any internet debate seems to end:  no you!   :mrgreen:

seriously though.  read my posts again if you like:  I am neither attacking you,  nor saying that the approach you are supporting is all wrong.   
However fitness Gurus tend to misuse technical terms in a context supporting their products (in this case his diet),  generally oversimplifying and tending their cause.
Sometimes grossly focusing on one aspect and (criminally) neglecting all the others linked to it.  One thing you can be sure of:  using a guru's statement is not a supporting argument.

Btw,  I am not sure how old you are,  but evolving interest in training physiology and trophology where the things that made me go into medicine.  If you are interested in this shit,  you might want to consider a career here as well,  its fucking awesome seeing how all the pieces fall into place.
You can say "no you", but you'd be wrong. I've provided links, no_rules has made plenty of long posts... you're the one whose only argument is "I've studied this TRUST ME."

What makes you think you have the authority to say what fitness gurus do or don't overuse? You've posted zero facts, nada, zilch, zippo. All you keep saying is how you "study it" - big fucking deal, so do millions of other people, along with most of the people you're criticising, making you just look silly.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline H4rdn3ssKill3r

• Baron
  • Renown: 107
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Crummy Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: naaaaaaaaaah
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2013, 05:10:36 pm »
+2
Holy shit.
You people make it seem like the guy wants to cut down after bulking up.
No.
He wants to lose weight because he's fat. He doesn't want to lose weight because he a) Wants to get into a weight qualification for a sport or b) To go to the next Mr. Olympian.
He simply wants to lose weight so he doesn't look like a landwhale.
The best way for that to happen is to get into a routine, both eating routine and a exercise routine. It's the same for all the hungry skellingtons who want to get gains, get into a routine of eating more, more frequently.
Like there's two very simple rule though; Don't eat junk food and stop drinking soda. Pretty self explanatory.

Oh and somehow people think that carbs are evil...?
They aren't. Starvation is a bad way to lose weight, don't do it. People who starve themselves basically just fuck up their metabolism, so yeah, you can lose all your weight, but as soon as you go back to a normal diet "oh shit where did all these kg's come from?". You'll also feel like utter shit so, yeah, don't do it.

here, have a link that's posted as a sticky on /fit/
http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html#part3
f8uasdlöadk blablablababa lbalba
^ Analogy of discussions on forums.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2013, 06:19:56 pm »
Holy shit.
You actually fucking think Poophammer is serious?
No.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2013, 06:40:29 pm »

They aren't. Starvation is a bad way to lose weight, don't do it. People who starve themselves basically just fuck up their metabolism, so yeah, you can lose all your weight, but as soon as you go back to a normal diet "oh shit where did all these kg's come from?". You'll also feel like utter shit so, yeah, don't do it.

here, have a link that's posted as a sticky on /fit/
http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html#part3

Agree with this

If you don't have regular meals your body will wonder if you will even get another meal anytime soon and go into starvation mode. You will slow your metabolism so that you burn fewer calories during the day

I also feel that its very important to have a regular routine that you follow. Make yourself have a small breakfast at the same time every day, then you will be less likely to snack before dinner time. Have dinner at the same time, tea and supper if you want.

This makes it easier to build up an exercise routine that you stick to. Every day you go for a run at X time. You don't have to think about it, its just part of your daily routine like your meals

Have a calorie limit for the day and break up the calories into separate meals. Drink loads of water, don't snack, use small plates, do regular cardio and you will watch the fat disappear. Losing weight is a long term process though, get into a routine and don't worry about immediate results.

Also do some research yourself and learn about calories and methods for losing weight. I lost 6 stone in 2 years doing that, and it wasn't even hard. Just took a few tweaks to my normal routine. I stopped drinking alchohol though too. Alchohol is horrible when you're trying to lose weight
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 06:45:56 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this: