Author Topic: hints for playing PLANETSIDE 2  (Read 10296 times)

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
hints for playing PLANETSIDE 2
« on: December 13, 2013, 11:17:09 am »
crpg just doesnt have enough pew pew,  so ill download that planetside thing.

heard the grind is unbearable as f2p,  so I'd like some vets to tell me which faction and class has nice basic and low cost upgradeable weapons.

basically:  how can i play dat game and have fun as f2p?
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: hints for playing PLANETSIDE 2
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:38:45 am »
+1
The grind is negligible. All standard weapons are on par with what you can buy, rest is just customizing. Most basic upgrades and weapon mods are cheap and you should just get absorbed into the epic battles and forget all about it until you realize you've made a lot of Cert points. Start with focusing on your class with a few upgrades and probably a rifle scope, then perhaps a favourite vehicle, and then I would suggest buying a weapon you like as per personal preference (by testing it in the combat sim). Most basic upgrades for all classes and vehicles are dirt cheap so upgrading across the board in the beginning is not a bad tactic either.

If you're still playing at this point you might not mind paying 5 Euro for some camouflage for your armor, vehicle and weapon, and perhaps some unique helmet or something, still way less than a new game would cost and I think the money is well given out. But people also grind points for new weapons themselves no problem.

Heavy infantry is a good starting class, but the are all easy to learn, really. I mostly play(ed) as heavy infantry and MAX for the Terran Republic (Ceres Server).

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 11:40:40 am »
+8
protip #1 dont download dat shit
protip #2 if u already downloaded it set ur PC in fire
 :P

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:44:38 am »
As a cavalry player you might enjoy focusing on some vehicle, a tank or if you're more team-oriented a Sunderer (awesome armored bus acting as a mobile spawn point and which you can outfit with any combination of weaponry and plating).

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 12:18:44 pm »
+1
There are a few costly certifications that vastly increase the power of certain classes and vehicules, it's true (like double C4 for the light assault, max heal tool for the medic or SMGs for infiltrators).

But what Angantyr said is spot on, the default weapons of all classes and vehicules for all factions are usually either the best or close enough to the best that the difference is very negligible until you learn to play properly. This is especially true for heavy assault default weapons. Also, most of the nicest arsenal upgrades cost 250 certs, which is fairly cheap. Case in point, there is a rather large choice of shotguns, none of which are unlocked when you start. The cheapest ones are arguably the best option in most situations, and the most expensive (1000 certs) are only good for very specific playstyles, although dominating all other options at precisely what they are meant to do. The best main weapons on the sunderer and the liberator are arguably the stock ones. Rocket pods for fighters got nerfed badly (the TR rockets especially are pretty bad now), so that this formerly almost required 1000 cert upgrade is no longer a good choice in all situations.

The game is actually balanced in a pretty pro non-paying way. OP pieces of equipment that were very costly in certs thus only owned by paying players at release were quickly put back in line.

What you should concentrate on when you start is your classes and all the really cheap upgrades. Get nanoweave armor level 1, start improving your ability and/or tool if you play engi or medic too.

For further information, you should check this guy's channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/WarpathWrel?feature=watch

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 12:56:34 pm »
vehicules

ruv you my wonderful french :'D

thanks for the input guys,  Ill look into it!
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 01:37:12 pm »
It took me far too long to realise the difference between vehicule and the english equivalent. I think it has something to do with the pronunciation being almost the same.

Offline Spurdospera

• Earl
  • Renown: 315
  • Infamy: 20
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Spurdo...
  • IRC nick: Spurdo
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 02:09:33 pm »
Well the most basic armor/health upgrade costs only 1cert so do get it. Also getting basic optics for weapon for 30cert is nice.

If you´re teamplayer you could always upgrade your sunderer to have deploying option.

So yeah, no real grind there. Certs come almost automatically and you´ll always get some when you log in to battle again.
Quote from: Mortemer
spurdo is as useless as my hat.

Offline KingBread

• Earl
  • Renown: 445
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: KingBread
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 04:13:40 pm »
+1
Hey i just started playing it as well seems pretty fun. Not what Vovka said -_- im suprised how this is NOT pay to win at all after just few purchases i have unstoppable power and can kill 3-4 guys in a row with much higher battle rank

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 05:26:56 pm »
Haven't played for quite a while now but when I did play I played as the Vanu, mainly Engineer and also used the Scythe and the Magrider ( both with some good upgrades + weapons ). First thing to do IMO is upgrade your main infantry classes weapon, I basically did that first, all of the upgrades I wanted for my gun, the reflex sight, advanced forward grip and the compensator. Also good idea to grab the 1 cert stuff you want during that time.

After that I say get more skills. Playing mainly Engineer I got the proximity mines and they are pretty much trolling 101, I have had massive kill streaks from controlling alleyways, doorways and general building areas, putting two prox mines down at different spots where you know enemies will come, if you're good at aiming you'll rack up a good amount of kills, gun and mines combined. Before they fixed some stuff you used to be able to throw the proximity mines through the spawn forcefield, that was hilarious, especially when you had the enemy pinned inside the spawn and there's 10 of them at the doorway shooting through thinking the enemy can't hurt them, until a prox mine comes flying in and blows them to fucking pieces.

AV mines are useful too though they certainly need more practice with placement and I liked to use them when I haD sneaked in amongst the enemies, putting them behind the enemies battle line so when their damaged veichles retreated to repair they'd naturally roll over a mine.

This is of course all irrelevant if you don't play engineer, lol. As long as you don't play a bundle of sticks sniper we can still be friends.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 05:30:47 pm »
+1
Hey i just started playing it as well seems pretty fun. Not what Vovka said -_- im suprised how this is NOT pay to win at all after just few purchases i have unstoppable power and can kill 3-4 guys in a row with much higher battle rank

It's pretty normal to kill 3-4 guys in a row when playing planetside 2. Many people value their life much less than in other FPS because there is less stress on k/d ratio. Also due to the extremely variable situations, you can have exceptional killstreaks sometimes, even as infantry (case in point I made a fresh Vanu character in another server and during my first life made 17 kills). But you should also be ready to die plenty of times in a row without a single kill if that is what it takes to help your team.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 05:36:13 pm »
It's pretty normal to kill 3-4 guys in a row when playing planetside 2. Many people value their life much less than in other FPS because there is less stress on k/d ratio. Also due to the extremely variable situations, you can have exceptional killstreaks sometimes, even as infantry (case in point I made a fresh Vanu character in another server and during my first life made 17 kills). But you should also be ready to die plenty of times in a row without a single kill if that is what it takes to help your team.

True, pushing a strong enemy defense requires sacrifice if your side is ever going to break in, there are some really passive players who care too much about their K/D and they sit back, padding their K/D and never actually helping win the battle. Sometimes there are so many of these passive K/D padders that you lose the battle because of them, you need plenty of guys willing to take deaths.

I spent a lot of time charging into a hard enemy defense, throwing grenades, spraying at a bunch of enemies, just to try to kill, wound or dislodge them from their location. Even if you don't kill any of them, you might flush them out of a room or out of their hiding spot, allowing your team mates to finish them and take over that location, which is essential to winning the battle.

Offline KingBread

• Earl
  • Renown: 445
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: KingBread
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 05:41:20 pm »
I was reffering to rumours about this game being pay 2 win. I think its not if i can kill 3-4 players in a row on my first day.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 05:41:38 pm »
This is of course all irrelevant if you don't play engineer, lol. As long as you don't play a bundle of sticks sniper we can still be friends.

Are you just salty because the Vanu snipers (I play Vanu) are shit by default compare to the other two factions?

I played a few hours recently after not having done so for about a half year and the game seems a lot more refined now. Certs roll in a lot faster if you play for free and I don't feel as cheated when someone three times my level kills me because the weapons feel a bit better balanced. The majority of it still seems like either camping the enemy spawn or being spawn camped for capturing a lot of the bases.

I would usually spawn a default Scythe as a light assault and fly to the most contested area and fight until it's jumping out when it's close to exploding. I like the class because it lets me hit and run from some awkward points and quickly duck behind cover that others can't easily reach.

Some of the new cosmetic skins throw me off though as I've ended up shooting teammates because they're not all just a flat purple anymore.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 05:17:31 am by SixThumbs »
And how!

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 07:32:35 pm »
In all fairness, I wouldn't consider Vanu snipers to be bad. The good thing anyway, is that snipers are really marginal in this game.