Author Topic: hints for playing PLANETSIDE 2  (Read 11224 times)

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
Re: hints for playing PLANETSIDE 2
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 10:07:31 pm »
Are you just salty because the Vanu snipers (I play Vanu) are shit by default compare to the other two factions?

I played a few hours recently after not having done so for about a half year and the game seems a lot more refined now. Certs roll in a lot faster if you play for free and I don't feel as cheated when someone three times my level kills me because the weapons feel a bit better balanced. The majority of it still seems like either camping the enemy spawn or being spawn camped for capturing a lot of the bases.

I would usually spawn a default Scythe as a light assault and fly to the most contested area and fight until it's about to explode and jumping out when it's close to exploding. I like the class because it lets me hit and run from some awkward points and quickly duck behind cover that others can't easily reach.

Some of the new cosmetic skins throw me off though as I've ended up shooting teammates because they're not all just a flat purple anymore.

No, I have a character in each Faction, I wouldn't say Vanu snipers are bad either, I just personally hate snipers in Planetside 2 and infact also some other games. Very few snipers are actually an asset to your side, most of them have no effect on the actual battle lines regardless of how many people they kill, because all they're worrying about is how many kills they're getting, not pushing the battle line and actively helping to take objectives. Once you lose an objective, how is a sniper sitting a mile away going to be an asset to retaking it? the majority of the defense will be inside, he's useless.

This problem occurs in many games and it was most horribly noticeable when I played BF Bad Company 2 ( especially on Xbox ), snipers just sniping and not actually having much effect at all on the outcome of the battle, well, especially if they were on the attacking team, too many on the defending team was also a disaster too. The best Infiltrators in PS2 are the SMG infils getting into the enemy base to make a difference, you only need a few snipers and you need a few good snipers, not the tens of hundreds baddie snipers sitting in hills a mile away picking off the odd wounded enemy and feeling like they're winning for their team just because they're on a 10 kill streak.

That's why snipers, well, most snipers, annoy the piss out of me.  :lol:

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 12:11:42 am »
+1
No, I have a character in each Faction, I wouldn't say Vanu snipers are bad either, I just personally hate snipers in Planetside 2 and infact also some other games. Very few snipers are actually an asset to your side, most of them have no effect on the actual battle lines regardless of how many people they kill, because all they're worrying about is how many kills they're getting, not pushing the battle line and actively helping to take objectives. Once you lose an objective, how is a sniper sitting a mile away going to be an asset to retaking it? the majority of the defense will be inside, he's useless.

This problem occurs in many games and it was most horribly noticeable when I played BF Bad Company 2 ( especially on Xbox ), snipers just sniping and not actually having much effect at all on the outcome of the battle, well, especially if they were on the attacking team, too many on the defending team was also a disaster too. The best Infiltrators in PS2 are the SMG infils getting into the enemy base to make a difference, you only need a few snipers and you need a few good snipers, not the tens of hundreds baddie snipers sitting in hills a mile away picking off the odd wounded enemy and feeling like they're winning for their team just because they're on a 10 kill streak.

That's why snipers, well, most snipers, annoy the piss out of me.  :lol:

It's curious, I really don't notice many snipers in PS2. In fact I see more infiltrators using SMGs or the occasional scout rifle. As I'm frequently a Liberator pilot, long range snipers also tend to show up as free xp for me.

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 07:39:25 am »
It's curious, I really don't notice many snipers in PS2. In fact I see more infiltrators using SMGs or the occasional scout rifle. As I'm frequently a Liberator pilot, long range snipers also tend to show up as free xp for me.

Maybe the amount of snipers has died down since I played, but some battles used to be flooded with useless snipers.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 12:59:28 pm »
+4
Vanu = transsexual alienlovers.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 03:09:14 pm »
+1
I still think Vanu is the noob faction.

Note that Woodman is dominated by two Vanu clans, almost all alerts are won by Vanu. Any NC or TR will tell you ZOE needs to be destroyed and forgotten.

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 03:45:46 pm »
I still think Vanu is the noob faction.

Note that Woodman is dominated by two Vanu clans, almost all alerts are won by Vanu. Any NC or TR will tell you ZOE needs to be destroyed and forgotten.

One server, there are other served where it's completely dominated by TR, and at times I've even seen NC dominate Woodman. That's just the amazing imbalance in player populations and/or skill imbalances between Factions. IMO if any of them were a noob Faction I'd say TR, their guns are the easiest to use in Close Quarter Combat, large clips and high ROF make spraying into enemies a lot more beneficial than either of the other two Factions, easy for a noob to rush in and spray. Not that I think any of the Factions really are a "Noob" faction, just that the TR guns are easier to use in street fights which is where a lot of the real fighting takes place.

But TBH having played all of the Factions, it seems to me that none of them are as difficult as people on the PS2 forums tried to make out they were, like tons of whiners claiming NC being underpowered, when I had the opposite experience in that I loved the damage their guns do. I think there were definitely less OP things on the NC faction and more so on the TR and VS faction, but time will nerf all. But yeah as I said before it's pretty obvious the imbalances in population and skill have more of an effect on who is dominating a server, than what weapons the Faction has.

For instance the TR striker was OP as fuck, because for a long time there was a bug where the Striker missiles could go through Terrain, now when you're playing a tank in either of the other Factions that gets really frustrating. Infact they're still pretty powerful for a lock on launcher, but at least not OP now. The ZOE will be nerfed, that's a fact, then TR will have no excuse when they get their get asses kicked by guys in Spandex. I think the issue with NC is that it seems to be the Faction that most 14 year olds would choose to main on, so many good players choose either of the other two. I guess they also have the lamest background story and quite possibly the ugliest uniform I've seen in a game, so that might put some people off.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 03:48:48 pm by Leesin »

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 04:55:28 pm »
One server, there are other served where it's completely dominated by TR, and at times I've even seen NC dominate Woodman. That's just the amazing imbalance in player populations and/or skill imbalances between Factions. IMO if any of them were a noob Faction I'd say TR, their guns are the easiest to use in Close Quarter Combat, large clips and high ROF make spraying into enemies a lot more beneficial than either of the other two Factions, easy for a noob to rush in and spray. Not that I think any of the Factions really are a "Noob" faction, just that the TR guns are easier to use in street fights which is where a lot of the real fighting takes place.

But TBH having played all of the Factions, it seems to me that none of them are as difficult as people on the PS2 forums tried to make out they were, like tons of whiners claiming NC being underpowered, when I had the opposite experience in that I loved the damage their guns do. I think there were definitely less OP things on the NC faction and more so on the TR and VS faction, but time will nerf all. But yeah as I said before it's pretty obvious the imbalances in population and skill have more of an effect on who is dominating a server, than what weapons the Faction has.

For instance the TR striker was OP as fuck, because for a long time there was a bug where the Striker missiles could go through Terrain, now when you're playing a tank in either of the other Factions that gets really frustrating. Infact they're still pretty powerful for a lock on launcher, but at least not OP now. The ZOE will be nerfed, that's a fact, then TR will have no excuse when they get their get asses kicked by guys in Spandex. I think the issue with NC is that it seems to be the Faction that most 14 year olds would choose to main on, so many good players choose either of the other two. I guess they also have the lamest background story and quite possibly the ugliest uniform I've seen in a game, so that might put some people off.

I think the number one issue with faction balance right now is that many, many people have multiple characters and decide to switch to whatever faction dominates their server whenever there is an alert. This is stupidly evident on Woodman, and I've seen many people from other servers complain about it as well. I'm conscious TR frequently dominate servers too, and I think the three factions are fairly balanced overall. However, I can't help but think Vanu light weapons tend to be slightly better than TR, which tend to be slightly better than NC. I've played the three factions at least a little, and it seems clear to me that VS weapons are the easiest to use at any range : just ADS and full auto retard, even with the highest ROF carbine you are bound to hit people reliably this way even at snipe range. Second, the only advantage of TR weapons are the large magazines. In fact we don't have higher ROF at all. ROF is more or less the same across all factions, even though NC tend to lose their damage advantage when they use high ROF weapons, unlike TR and VS. And those larger magazines come at the expense of reload speeds (this is a big issue for me because I have reloaditus unless I make the effort of counting bullets).

All the factions have or had advantages in certain domains that were or still are too big and practically turn the game into rock/paper/scissors whenever present. Examples are the NC MAX shotguns of the past, old magriders with sniping sarons, old strikers, old fractures, current ZOE, current vanguard shield and a few other things. Those things are getting fixed as well as optimisation issues. Support/content adding has been excellent during this first year and with all the things that I keep hearing about in the test server I expect the best of PlanetSide 2 will be in the future.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 05:30:12 pm »

I have no Idea what you just said there.

I just know I went NC. cause,  rocknroll.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 06:35:05 pm »
I have no Idea what you just said there.

I just know I went NC. cause,  rocknroll.

On Woodman if you ask what is the biggest balance issue to basically any experienced TR or NC player, they will tell you it's the Zealot Overdrive Engine, which is the empire-specific special power of the VS MAX units. It allows the MAX to move faster in all directions and to inflict more damage, also receiving more damage from small arms fire as a tradeoff. If I understand correctly, it's going to be "nerfed" by putting a cooldown on flicking it on or off in the near future. I don't really believe this will fix anything personally, as the most dangerous VS MAX just keep it on all the time because the movement speed buff increases your ability to avoid damage more than the armor malus reduces it.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 11:18:26 am »
In all fairness, I wouldn't consider Vanu snipers to be bad. The good thing anyway, is that snipers are really marginal in this game.

NO NO NO

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 11:21:45 am »

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 02:58:34 pm »
+2
I think the issue with NC is that it seems to be the Faction that most 14 year olds would choose to main on, so many good players choose either of the other two. I guess they also have the lamest background story and quite possibly the ugliest uniform I've seen in a game, so that might put some people off.

Yeah, kind of.

The problem is that I really like their weapons. When I played a lot as a TR I could've killed for a Gauss LMG or Assault rifle.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 08:22:22 pm »
Yeah, kind of.

The problem is that I really like their weapons. When I played a lot as a TR I could've killed for a Gauss LMG or Assault rifle.

Get a SABR-13 for the medic. It's kind of good. The TMG-50 is the hard hitting HA gun for TR but it was nerfed and became lackluster due to huge recoil. What I would personally really appreciate as TR would be a jackhammer (lol), or the AC-X11 (weirdest gun stats in the game IMO)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 03:32:38 am »
Meh, those guns are not even close  :mrgreen:

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2013, 02:34:45 pm »
NC weapons are superior both in handling and visuals, but the T32 Bull is an excellent TR assault rifle I think, almost no recoil, great accuracy, good damage on short and medium range and good for hip shooting when assaulting or defending bases. If you haven't give it a go with mods in VR.