Do you agree with those changes?

Yes
89 (62.7%)
No
34 (23.9%)
Yes, but... (insert you opinion)
19 (13.4%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Author Topic: How to nerf archery, without destroying it.  (Read 15662 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: How to nerf archery, without destroying it.
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2013, 03:17:20 pm »
+2
I use to be in Fallen.... so I played a lot on EU servers lol.   I was on EU for several hours yesterday.  I enjoy the challenge.  I've been working nights for a while now and I come on EU almost every evening/morning.  Finally being shot as you described is totally realistic.  If you don't want to get shot when you peak your head around a corner then be a shielder.  Every class has an anti class. Shielders are the anti-class of ranged. Shielders are a completely inappropriate counter to ranged right now. You can't argue shielders counter ranged as well as ranged counters shieldless inf, or cav, or even other ranged.  There is a fine line between a simulation and an action game.  CRPG became more of an action game because of multiple ranged nerfs. Warband was always an action game. And unlike in a simulation, player skill in Warband does evolve. As people learned to defend in melee, the average melee TTK increased tremendously, while the ranged TTK remained the same, hence why ranged got regular nerfs in cRPG to keep it in line with the effectiveness of melee. I spent almost 10 gens as a 2h and I rarely feared ranged lol.  They were a non-factor most of the time.  I'm glad they buffed them a little bit with the WPF thing.  It forces inf to use tactics and that seems to be the root of most people's concern.  They want an action game and I want a simulation. 

I wouldn't mind a re-balance if need be.  I've never been an archer/xbow so I don't know anything about it.  But they shouldn't be nerfed anymore than they have been. 

We can agree to disagree.  I'm not stating that I am 100% right and my opinion is the only one that counts lol.  I understand where a lot of people are coming from.  But this is my opinion.

Yea but think about it.... the only way to reduce their numbers is to nerf them so badly that people quit playing ranged and start playing other classes lol. Other classes GTX servers when there are too many ranged characters around. This would be a nice way to regulate the amount of ranged if there actually was a class other than ranged that made ranged GTX servers. Obviously such a class does not exist, the best choice when there are a lot of ranged is to bring one of your ranged characters. Furthermore if you are a ninja then I bet money you are somewhat of an agi build built for dueling.  (18-24?)  So range is your nemesis.  However consider this.....  if you are more of a duelist and your character is BUILT for dueling then you have an automatic advantage in every dueling situation.  I see guys all the time on the duel server who kick the shit out of everyone..... then get killed early and often on Battle because their build isn't designed to defend against ranged.  And of course who complains most often about range?  Those guys lol.  Why?  Because it's their anti-class.  They are generally faster and use faster weapons than everyone else (and of course light armor) giving them a tremendous advantage in 1 v 1 situations.  If they get surrounded by melee they simply turn and run.   Unless.... they... get... shot.....  So in their mind they SHOULD be able to kill anyone.... and they are right.... if only that pesky cheating fuck ranged would go away lol.

Of course I take nothing away from you....  I don't know you.... but I've seen it a thousand times on NA.  I spend a lot of time in the duel servers and some of these guys beat the hell out of me.  It's just funny to see them complain in battle because they get shot.... while I hold up pretty well in battle because I'm wearing enough armor (not to mention I sacrifice some speed for ironflesh) to withstand a few arrows.  It's all about builds, roles, and versatility.  ANY.... agi class.... outside of shielders will bitch about ranged more than the average.  But don't other classes bitch about Agi builds?  When you ninja someone don't they think you should be nerfed?  How about the amazingly fast Katana and Longsword heroes lol.  I personally dislike encountering ranged basically no matter the class I play. I can deal with melee characters in melee even if I'm playing my archer alt just fine, and I can dodge or block cav attacks for as long as it takes to be boring. Projectiles are, unlike other threats, simply obnoxious even when I can shoot back. The two classes I played the most are shielder and cav, arguably thest closest things you can imagine to ranged killers. Every single second, my biggest issue was ranged, even when I added throwing stuff to my shielder. Not that I did die more to ranged than others, but rather that being attacked by inf or cav results in enjoyable gameplay while being attacked by ranged doesn't.

Anyways it's just my opinion.  I'm not a fan of nerfing a class just to turn the battle server into a giant duel server. 

Offline Zerobot1

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Zerobot1
  • IRC nick: Zerobot1
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2013, 04:54:13 pm »
+1
Well the missile speed on one slot bows is my real gripe, I'd want to see missile speeds stay in the 39-42 range. This is mainly to even the playing field between all archers including horse archers.

The other changes I don't know...

I agree I feel a bit cheated by the non loomed bows being basically as good as loomed.

I find I already have more arrows than I need most of the time on battle, but maybe in strategus or dtv it would be a different story.

Fire rate of horse archers... I'm just terribly biased. I'd want to see it because I just feel they have great mobility and the easiest time shooting from long range with these missile speeds.

Damage again I'm biased. I feel like I'm on the end of my tether with this game most of the time, this is the last thing I'd want.

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2013, 05:05:37 pm »
+1
I just don't want ro nerf archery to ground, but thing that 2 or 3 pd bows are as mych deadly as strongest ones is a bit silly IMO.

Archer forever :D

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2013, 05:57:48 pm »
Cut the bullshit everybody there are 22! players currently on EU1, 6PM and there is no huge Strat battle going on and it sure as hell isn't because of agi polearmers and 2hers

Better wise up and stop blindly lobbying for your class rangers because soon we won't have anybody to shoot at
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2013, 06:09:06 pm »
http://c-rpg.net/?page=strategusbattlesupcoming#!?page=strategusinfobattledetail&id=6048
attackers less then 40 players, defenders equal 40 or not much more.

I remmember times, when at prime time, you still have had nearly full eu1/eu2/eu4/...
+ full roster on strat battles.

I dont think Prpavi is far off with his statement.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2013, 06:14:57 pm »
+1
It's a DRZ xp farming battle, when did you see more than 3 DRZ on the server last time, they don't affect Battle pop much.

look at the roster:

And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2013, 07:02:44 pm »
+2
It's not that I don't agree with you, I rarely ever play melee except for my long dagger troll build. Apart from that it's my horse archer or other games. I got tired of the amount of ranged myself and can't be arsed facing the rain of arrows on my melee characters myself. However, saying that there was no strat battle going on when it was, and then only showing a part of the roster does make it look silly. :wink:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2013, 07:18:40 pm »
+1
well I couldn't catch the whole roster obv... and I didn't find that battle to be key, I mean it's called XP Battle ffs, has it come to this?
(click to show/hide)
Strat against your mates only for XP? anyway that's another problem.
Ranged does infect the population of the Battle server like it or not, who ever claims different is delusional

edit: and there are currently 5 DRZ member on the server, guess I'm a liar, not to be trusted  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2013, 07:26:46 pm »
+1
Archers in Vikingr were nerfed until they became something of a challenge to play as but the few archers in the mod were highly respected and still literal game changers for their teams.

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2013, 07:39:45 pm »
Archers in Vikingr were nerfed until they became something of a challenge to play

....your implications, wrong they are.

Plus: looks like you found yourself an almost archer-free racist mod, congrats!
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2013, 08:31:41 pm »
21 on EU1, 30 on Strat at 19:30 in the evening

Guess people are still on summer holidays (or is there a new excuse now)
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2013, 10:58:54 pm »
some ppl have real life and at evenings they are going out to met friends and drink  some beer in nice place like me :)

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2013, 11:01:51 pm »

Better wise up and stop blindly lobbying for your class rangers because soon we won't have anybody to shoot at
You are probably drunk if you didn't see that suggestions I mede are actually nerfing archers in some way...

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2013, 12:31:25 am »
You are probably drunk if you didn't see that suggestions I mede are actually nerfing archers in some way...

Why do you think that post was aimed at you? are you lobbying not to nerf ranged? I guess you didn't read my post on first page where I agree with you plus I add suggestions to nerf HA, was talikng to others defending current state of ranged obv.