Author Topic: 2h Bastard Sword Type Weapons  (Read 7378 times)

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
Re: 2h Bastard Sword Type Weapons
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2013, 05:37:08 pm »
+2
Remove the ability to use Longsword with a shield, remove the polearm mode from HBS and BS, further distinguishing bastard swords from the longsword. Also a slight speed or damage nerf wouldn't hurt any of these weapons imo (I use a HBS on my 2H).

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2013, 06:47:29 pm »
+1
Remove the ability to use Longsword with a shield, remove the polearm mode from HBS and BS, further distinguishing bastard swords from the longsword.

Yup, one of these 2 could be 1h/2h with new stats as 1h, the other one 2h with secondary mode as polearm. Currently the main difference between them is how they look like.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2013, 07:01:17 pm »
+1
Remove the ability to use Longsword with a shield, remove the polearm mode from HBS and BS, further distinguishing bastard swords from the longsword. Also a slight speed or damage nerf wouldn't hurt any of these weapons imo (I use a HBS on my 2H).

The longsword IS a type of bastard sword... it is just what it was called in Britain. You could call the longsword a bastard sword and you wouldn't be incorrect. "Bastard sword" is a class of weapons, not just one or two. Removing this ability from it would make as much sense as removing it from the two bastard swords.

I suppose some confusion may come from the fact that there is simply an item in the shop called "bastard sword" but don't forget there is also an item simply called "sword."  :/

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2013, 07:32:38 pm »
+2
The longsword IS a type of bastard sword... it is just what it was called in Britain. You could call the longsword a bastard sword and you wouldn't be incorrect. "Bastard sword" is a class of weapons, not just one or two. Removing this ability from it would make as much sense as removing it from the two bastard swords.

I suppose some confusion may come from the fact that there is simply an item in the shop called "bastard sword" but don't forget there is also an item simply called "sword."  :/

Actually, longswords in history were swords intended to be used with two hands exclusively.  Some were light enough for one handed use though.  Bastard swords generally had the dimensions of a 1h sword, but had a lengthened grip to allow the use of a second hand, even if it could only grip the pommel.  This is why they were "bastards" -- belonging neither to 1h or 2h sword classifications.  Longswords were longer than bastard swords. :)

The terms are kind of fuzzy though, as different time periods called different swords by different names.

These are longswords, used in half-sword grip:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:40:07 pm by Garison »

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2013, 08:41:29 pm »
I do feel they are fairly balanced, although, I always had a problem with the damage.

I just feel they all need a -1 in cut damage.  The only reason I feel this way is because of the comparison between the Longsword and Greatsword.

I feel they should not be the same in damage.

For the most part though I do not have much of an issue.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2013, 08:51:17 pm »
Actually, longswords in history were swords intended to be used with two hands exclusively.  Some were light enough for one handed use though.  Bastard swords generally had the dimensions of a 1h sword, but had a lengthened grip to allow the use of a second hand, even if it could only grip the pommel.  This is why they were "bastards" -- belonging neither to 1h or 2h sword classifications.  Longswords were longer than bastard swords. :)

The terms are kind of fuzzy though, as different time periods called different swords by different names.

These are longswords, used in half-sword grip:
(click to show/hide)

Can't trust anything you learn these days without cross referencing several times. It would appear as though you are right, shame on me for actually trusting a documentary. :oops:

(click to show/hide)

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2013, 09:11:20 pm »
+1
Penitent is right.  Longsword was a class of swords longer than 1h, but not greatswords.  It was the bastard swords that were basically long 1h swords with an extended grip that gave the option of 1h and 2h use.

Technically the Longsword should not have the option of being use 1h at all in cRPG...and it should be around 108-110 length 97 or 98 speed.  Basically a different (slightly less damaging, slightly faster) version of the Two Handed sword.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2013, 09:28:22 pm »
+2
It's tricky -- I know that during renaissance times any sword that wasn't a rapier was basically called a longsword or broadsword.  That kind of carried over into the 1800's, but nowadays we have a slightly different broadsword-arming sword/bastard sword/long sword/great sword categories.  It's all semantics in the end, and likely to change again in the future.

We'd better hush now though, lest they move this to the realism dungeon discussion thread and we are trapped there for eternity.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2013, 09:30:40 pm »
Do whatever you want to the 1h/2h mode, just leave the polearm mode alone. Your superior numbers for caring about the 2h do not mean anything. This weapon is not only about the 2h mode!
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2013, 09:44:16 pm »
+4
Make it so we can turn the sword around and swing it by the blade, do we can do real hilt slashes.  Then change it to blunt damage, with knockdown and use polearm wpf.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2013, 09:47:41 pm »
Make it so we can turn the sword around and swing it by the blade, do we can do real hilt slashes.  Then change it to blunt damage, with knockdown and use polearm wpf.

That would be awesome.  Perhaps it should be the overhead attack for polearm mode.  You are already holding it half-sword style, but raise the hilt over your head and slam it down, sledge hammer style.

Offline Scervo

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2013, 10:35:03 pm »
I think they're fine how they are. I'm a 2h and I don't really use them, but I have no problem fighting against people who do. Really dont see them as being OP, i think people just aren't good at fighting against fast weapons when theyre being used by good players who know how to castor swing etc

It's better than polearm nudge and as good as the 1h nudge when you gank someone. When I play 2h I use the nudge a lot to open up an enemy's defense for my teammate.

If youre ganking someone, wouldnt it make more sense to just attack them rather than nudge them? That way youre doing damage AND opening up their defenses. Unless they're a shielder and you cant get behind them.

I do think 2h nudge is useless but i think it should stay that way
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 10:54:02 pm by Scervo »

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2013, 12:00:54 am »
I do think 2h nudge is useless but i think it should stay that way
Nudge disable lasts a lot longer and cannot be blocked, only physically avoided.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2013, 12:07:31 am »
+1
Like this
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2013, 02:13:47 am »

I do not understan why you call something halfswording and then you still ask it tp be polearm mode

just make no fuking sens for me

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?