Author Topic: New DTV map sucks  (Read 13099 times)

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
Re: New DTV map sucks
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2014, 07:39:21 am »
+7
< -- Well thought out rebuttal to Fips points by Jona that match my own thoughts -->

Thank you Jona for saying what I lacked patience and effort to explain.

I would also add, Fips I think you have destroyed DTV as a training ground for new players. If I had been presented with these maps when I first started playing, I would be both frustrated and bored as fuck, and probably stopped playing.
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 452
  • Infamy: 649
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2014, 07:06:56 pm »
+1
Actually, new DTV is great when there's less than 10 players in a team and all are capable. Enough room for fighting, not too many bots to deal with, still max rewards.

If there was private DTV server where you could join based on invitation, I would totally dig it :D

Offline En_Dotter

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 97
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Main: Qunicy_En_Dotter; Alts: Guardian_En_Dotter; Guardian_Spiralle
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2014, 02:36:03 pm »
+7
Ill add some fuel to this fire to keep it burning till devs start feeling at least the warmth...

New DTV is a total crap. Intensity of crappiness surpasses the speed of which the new "nerf ranged" threads appear.
Why is it crap?
1. It has become rather hard - no more pure fun in this mode unless you got enough drugs to keep your reflexes and senses rly sharp. And even then you are most probably doomed. Its no longer a chill game mode but fucking tetris on max speed (u cant win, since in tetris u always lose, and u cant have a decent score, meaning u can make a line or 2 and thats it...).
2. Only one tactic works - SHIELD. Where is the fun in playing every map the same fucking way and always having shield wall (aka 13 shield skill chinese with 24058205890258025ms ping) and some guys overheading and archers trying not to th or tk since its so fucking clumped.
3. Cus of the limited amount of space to fight (only 1/10000000000000 of my moooom can fit in those maps or less even) a lot of ppl MUST be "afk", or stay away cus there is no fucking space to do anything, and yet ppl get kicked/banned constantly cus "they are afk". (not saying there are no leeching ppl but that is irrelevant).
4. Devs dont even play this game mode and yet they change it constantly. WTF? ITS A FUCKING CHILL MODE WHERE PPL HAVE FUN BY NOT BEING UNDER FUCKING PRESSURE LIKE ON EU1 OR EU2 OR NA1 OR NA2...

Old DTV was way better. Why?
1. Newbies could get some lvls before trying to fight in the dog pits. Also, they could ask for advice and yet get a decent answer (impossible now since its arcade mode and perma grind so we dont lose to nomads or weeboos...)
2. More tactics used. Yes, Yaragar, Istiniar and Rizi had their "unique" tactics, but other maps demanded brians... If you want to get bots stuck (aka "exploit") you didnt need 13 shield, you just needed to actually use the brain and explore the map. Even if you find a good location its not 100% guarantied (unlike 13 shield skill in new "non-exploitable" DTV). Not even 3 most famous maps were 100% safe. One mistake and bots are at V on istiniar if u lure to the left or right (impossible on new DTV with 2 guys and 13 shield skill and 504063403960ms ping).
3. Role playing. There were ppl who were meat grinders and didnt role play. There were ppl dressing up and taking roles - "afk" bodyguards next to V (making sure nothing passes) with their weapons sheeted; some pike guys "patrolling" the area using walk function; snipers on faraway locations trying to snipe the impossible; etc...

Im sure there is more to write but cba...
Nothing is better than eternal happiness.
Eating a sandwich is better than nothing.
Therefore, eating a sandwich is better than eternal happiness.

Offline Kamirane

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2014, 11:20:11 pm »
+1
i totally agree with En_Dotter.

And another thing...

I dont want to be a racist or something. But is it rly necessary that ppl can join with a constant ping of 350+?

Its not about, that they are bad... its more about TH´s/TK´s in fatal situations. It just makes it even more difficult as it is.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2014, 02:01:11 am »
i totally agree with En_Dotter.

And another thing...

I dont want to be a racist or something. But is it rly necessary that ppl can join with a constant ping of 350+?

Its not about, that they are bad... its more about TH´s/TK´s in fatal situations. It just makes it even more difficult as it is.

Don't forget the 13 shield skill guys, haha.

Seriously though, I would define sitting in a corner until you die as leeching. They could easily have held RMB, and then alt tabbed away from warband until they hear themselves respawn next round. If admins are ever in the servers I just encourage them to constantly pester these players to see if they are indeed leeching. I guess if they reply (assuming they know english, which they should since this is apparently an english-driven mod, regardless of your country of origin, unfortunately) then they are indeed not afk, and since they are arguably contributing to the team they can stay. However, should they fail to reply, either through being afk or from lack of understanding... I think the usual punishments for leeching should apply.

Luckily, at least in NA, the 2h or polearm heroes of china tend to stay away, and only show up very rarely in which cases it is indeed a disaster. Especially since they generally all show up at once, like some hive-minded hoard! :D

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • Renown: 569
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
  • Game nicks: MAGA_Jeade, Gregory_McFin, Frat_Lion
  • IRC nick: Jeade
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2014, 11:24:51 pm »
+7
Don't forget the 13 shield skill guys, haha.

Seriously though, I would define sitting in a corner until you die as leeching. They could easily have held RMB, and then alt tabbed away from warband until they hear themselves respawn next round. If admins are ever in the servers I just encourage them to constantly pester these players to see if they are indeed leeching. ... However, should they fail to reply, either through being afk or from lack of understanding... I think the usual punishments for leeching should apply.

It's a smart way to AFK and not necessarily a bad one.
Leeching, to me, is not contributing in any way. If a high ping player with 13 shield comes in and pulls everything into a corner, they are contributing, AFK or not.
If they are contributing by standing in a corner, what difference does it make if they're actively holding right click and staring at the screen or not?
It's just a downfall to bots in DTV and something that can't be fixed. If the point is to "tank" and kill the bots, the 13 shield skill guys are doing exactly what they should be doing.
Eh.

Offline Kamirane

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2014, 08:09:02 pm »
I wish DTV wouldnt be a Gamemode, where the Key is to have a few Shielders in some Corners. Thats all.

Offline Maksimus

• Knight
  • Renown: 71
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2014, 09:09:55 am »
When there are few players I play with my main character BeaRed and I'm always on the first place. But when there is 30 players I play with 13 shieldskill character luring bots to the corner. And fips calls this griefing, and he wants to make all corners unreachable with his lovely invisible walls. Then what will happen. Half of the team die in the first wave even on peasants. Leave dtv alone, leave the corners.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2014, 10:38:30 am »
+3
What should happen is that people eventually learn how to play without exploiting glitches.

Offline DonNicko

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Remont
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Nicko
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2014, 11:12:00 am »
+2
I think they will never learn to play, half are just trollers.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2014, 06:24:24 am »
+1
What should happen is that people eventually learn how to play without exploiting glitches.

While I agree, the only problem with this is that exploiting and strategy are often times confused. Some might say "Well I can do it, so I am simply using my brain, hur dur I am so smart look at me pike through a wall" while others would of course call that exploiting. I for one think that open roofs are more of a strategy than an exploit. Ranged bots kill at least 60% of the more skilled players in DTV. Keeping your archers on top of a roof will indeed draw a crowd of melee bots, but the archers will then get torn to pieces by enemy ranged. Fips and co. call this exploiting though, I for one would say it is a sound strategy. You are not invincible and more often than not the bots can indeed get up a ladder on the roof. On some of the old maps houses would blend into the hillside, and while bots might not be able to get up from one side, they can get up from the other side... but nope, still exploiting. I don't think I have ever seen anyone beat DTV using only a roof "exploit." Only times I've seen DTV beaten with exploiting is with a solid wall (rizi), a fence, or a shack. Never have I witnessed a rooftop pull win the day, since those crossbows of later waves tear the campers apart.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2014, 05:02:07 pm »
+1
As much as i hate to dig this damn thread up again, but i need to throw it out there anyway.
One of the reasons the dtv is so damn easy sometimes might be because 20% less bots spawn than they should. Instead of the spawn proximity or whatever, entry point 5 didn't work at all. Funny coincidence though, every spawn point that was too far away (that got me thinking about a spawn proximity) was exactly entry point 5. Thanks to urist this is fixed now and all the spawns work correctly. That means on full server there should be about 15-20 bots more now. Or maybe the amount stays the same and the bots just got spread out on the 4 working spawn points, no idea. But there definitely is a limit to how many bots each spawn point can spawn.
Just take a look at the numbers now and watch what happens tomorrow (tonight after patch) in the numbers, not completely sure about that issue. Can't test it because i can only play alone on my server.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2014, 05:25:51 pm »
+1
The amount of bots should be the same. They were just spread on 4 instead of 5 entry points.

Offline Andswaru

• Duke
  • Renown: 554
  • Infamy: 130
  • SeaRaider_
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Andswaru
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2014, 09:38:02 pm »
DTV gives far to much xp... thats why it pulls leechers and trolls. Nerf XP and gold and let people who enjoy it play.
Smooth is the admin NA deserves. Not being that much better, EU deserves Thomek.
[18:25] <@chadz> soon(tm)

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2014, 01:03:48 am »
+1
The amount of bots should be the same. They were just spread on 4 instead of 5 entry points.

Hmyeah, probably need to raise that amount otherwise then. The 20 maximum for each spawn would mean 80 bots right now, never saw that happen though.

@Andswaru: When double xp is gone. With double xp on siege and battle the amount of xp is okay. It's just more easy to leech than on other gamemodes.