Author Topic: New DTV map sucks  (Read 13093 times)

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
Re: New DTV map sucks
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2014, 03:23:09 pm »
+1
Then simply a server restart didn't happen yet.

And xp can not be a reason for any arguments here, neither can the chinese or australian people, they have their own servers or can make them. Maps are a lot smaller and the xp is still insane, even if the maps take a little longer. Remember, the xp was made for the old dtv where it was about what you get on average at battle/siege. Rounds on dtv can give you 40k xp in less than 5 minutes, so don't start complaining about low xp o_O

Also: The Desert map was made by Hellsing. His thread should be here in this forum, so please write whatever suggestions you have for his maps, in there. =)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1863
  • Infamy: 869
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2014, 03:54:38 pm »
I'm not complaining about lack of XP, I complain about people skipping maps because XP is low. We can't ban them all, and there is no way to deal with non-EU players so I'm just trying to find a solution that will make them busy instead of leeching. That's all.

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2014, 04:35:29 pm »
+1
I'm not complaining about lack of XP, I complain about people skipping maps because XP is low. We can't ban them all, and there is no way to deal with non-EU players so I'm just trying to find a solution that will make them busy instead of leeching. That's all.

Yeah, map changing is no longer allowed. Cmp edited the rules now, so if you see people doing that, you can post a ban request. The high pingers are still a problem though, yes. Can't ban them on some maps because they can be useful with their shields and somehow some of them even manage to get kills with ranged, but the overall uselessness of them sucks and is quite unfair to the EU players. But can't just blanket ban them. If we would, we might as well start banning the players that run around naked with a dagger while the rest of their team is fighting vitez or whatever. Then dtv would be empty, ha.

Also, cmp restarted the server, so the buggy map is gone.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2014, 09:35:34 pm »
+5
And xp can not be a reason for any arguments here, neither can the chinese or australian people, they have their own servers or can make them. Maps are a lot smaller and the xp is still insane, even if the maps take a little longer. Remember, the xp was made for the old dtv where it was about what you get on average at battle/siege. Rounds on dtv can give you 40k xp in less than 5 minutes, so don't start complaining about low xp o_O

One of the main problem with DTV is that you get MORE xp than ever before. The ONLY reason that it is any more populated (if it at all is... I am seeing the same population as before on NA) is due to the fact that people who want to power grind come to DTV now. It is plain and simple as that, and yes, in this case xp can very well be the reason for this argument, because as you said the xp was for old maps, and with this new, claustrophobic trash, we finish rounds too quickly, and get obscene amounts of xp, thus drawing the undesirables from battle into the server.

Say what you will about seeing higher populations than ever, and that proving you are a good map maker. Sorry, but is just not the case. NA is seeing the same population, any more is only due to the average of 3-4 high-pinged leechers, and perhaps the few battle-tryhards who come to power level. And even then the population still evens out to what we had back in the good ole days because so many "DTV veterans" have abandoned the server, and in some cases the game, entirely. A surprisingly large amount of players ONLY played DTV, and since the change many have left and failed to return.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2014, 10:31:55 pm »
Well, how about you enlighten me on how to make a good dtv map then?

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
  • Renown: 1253
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • EX Head of EU and NA admin teams
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
  • Faction: Stromgarde
  • Game nicks: Uthyr Pendraeg, Uthyr, mr fucking dtv hero admin, Stromgarde_Uthyr_Pendraeg
  • IRC nick: Something along those lines above
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2014, 12:10:52 am »
+5
Well, how about you enlighten me on how to make a good dtv map then?

(click to show/hide)
Take away the fences, entrances onto the rooftops (or just place your invisible walls and fences there) and whoopyboop, not longer abuseable gamemode that will only be played by people who actually fucking enjoy it, not the ones who want to power-grind the hell outta it. You CAN'T stop abusing the maps, but you CAN indeed annoy people by giving us maps tighter than a nun's ass. Just, please, some space to run around. :(
Nemo prudens punit, quia peccatum est, sed ne peccetur.
I (used to) manage character issues, reverting, restoring and fixing related mistakes and some other stuff. Feel free to message if you encounter a problem.
He's not the hero DTV deserves but he's the one they need.

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2014, 12:19:30 am »
I said i'll get you more open maps. Like a hundred times already. I'm very sorry that it didn't happen last patch, but it was too rushed for me to get something done in time. But no, no native villages, we can do better.

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
  • Renown: 1253
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • EX Head of EU and NA admin teams
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
  • Faction: Stromgarde
  • Game nicks: Uthyr Pendraeg, Uthyr, mr fucking dtv hero admin, Stromgarde_Uthyr_Pendraeg
  • IRC nick: Something along those lines above
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2014, 12:32:57 am »
+1
Last time you also asked me to remind you about it because you'd be drunk and then hangover by tommorow, so here I am  :oops:
Nemo prudens punit, quia peccatum est, sed ne peccetur.
I (used to) manage character issues, reverting, restoring and fixing related mistakes and some other stuff. Feel free to message if you encounter a problem.
He's not the hero DTV deserves but he's the one they need.

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2014, 12:42:02 am »
Last time you also asked me to remind you about it because you'd be drunk and then hangover by tommorow, so here I am  :oops:

I'm already working on them so gimme a break =P

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2014, 04:10:55 am »
+2
(click to show/hide)
Take away the fences, entrances onto the rooftops (or just place your invisible walls and fences there) and whoopyboop, not longer abuseable gamemode that will only be played by people who actually fucking enjoy it, not the ones who want to power-grind the hell outta it. You CAN'T stop abusing the maps, but you CAN indeed annoy people by giving us maps tighter than a nun's ass. Just, please, some space to run around. :(

^THIS THIS THIS THIS

Native maps were perfectly acceptable and very fun. Sure better than any new shit I've seen. We don't want castle maps in DTV. We want village and open maps. The fact that you define placing archers on top of highly-exposed rooftops as exploiting is hilarious in it's own right compared to what you've made DTV into. The few archers on top of a low roof are not only easily raped by projectiles, but can also be hit by melee if they don't watch their step. They aren't invincible and don't attract every single bot per map, which you seem convinced of. Same goes for fences. Walls like in Rizi are pretty 'exploitable' and perhaps shouldn't be around.

And if for some reason in your crusade against aggroing bots you still think exposed rooftops shouldn't exist, then fine! Take them away but leave the maps as-is. We don't want your definition of 'open' maps which is nothing more than a straight tunnel S-keying fest with borders full of rocks and other uneven outcroppings that you get stuck on like nobody's business. If you REALLY want to, I don't think anyone would mind the addition of ballistas to old native maps, since after all it keeps the peasants busy. However, maps based around ballistas, like that one that is simply a shooting range, are pretty dumb.

(click to show/hide)

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2014, 12:33:58 pm »
+1
Seriously, what the hell do you want to do on dtv?
You don't want to have a map that supports shieldwalls in a way that makes them very useful, you don't like ballista-maps, s-keying sucks too, what else is there?! Well, there was a lot of exploiting, but that's gone and won't come back. I don't see what the old maps supported what the new ones don't. More open maps are on their way and when you think that my definition of an open map is the ones we have in the cycle right now, then you're wrong. More open maps? Yes. Native Villages? No. But whatever, i'm the evil destroyer of dtv and it doesn't seem like i can convince you otherwise, so i might as well be talking to a wall right now.

The "old" dtv was about abusing fences, roofs or barns and if you couldn't do that the server was mostly empty and the few people that did play on it rushed towards the enemy spawn and then s-keyed their way back to the virgin. On a few maps people gathered at bridges or other chokepoints but that almost never happened when i played, even when i tried to encourage people to do it.

Also, when i think really hard about how many people actually complained about the new maps (since the latest patch) may it be ingame or here on the forum, i can count maybe 10. But 5 out of those 10 are playing the mode anyway so it can't be that bad. It's always the voice of the ragers that is the loudest here in crpg.

I'm done explaining myself. Like it or not, you are stuck with me as scene manager because teeth sure as hell doesn't give a crap about dtv. When Shik told me he wanted to spice up dtv i made decisions regarding the maps, a few of them i revised and solved otherwise, but from what i see on the server nowadays, from a scene managing point of view, i am satisfied with the result. There is plenty of teamwork going on and the few heroes that wanna do it their own way still can and still are doing that, ballistas are being constantly used and were a great addition to the mode and i experienced people coming to the very late rounds, engineers or even sexies, on every single map, with most of them being actually winnable.

I'm not going to close this thread, but i'm not going to answer anything from now on, either. For map feedback of new maps in the upcoming patch(s) go to the feedback thread or better, the threads of the mappers that did them and if you find any bugs or exploitable spots on current maps report them to me and i will fix them. That is all for this thread.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2014, 12:52:56 pm »
+3
Give back old dtv maps and bot waves. I want to relax,run around and kill bots and speak to players,not jut kill endless waves of bots.
It sux,also repairs are too fucking big.

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2014, 10:51:38 am »
+3
You don't want to have a map that supports shieldwalls in a way that makes them very useful, you don't like ballista-maps, s-keying sucks too, what else is there?! Well, there was a lot of exploiting, but that's gone and won't come back. I don't see what the old maps supported what the new ones don't. More open maps are on their way and when you think that my definition of an open map is the ones we have in the cycle right now, then you're wrong. More open maps? Yes. Native Villages? No. But whatever, i'm the evil destroyer of dtv and it doesn't seem like i can convince you otherwise, so i might as well be talking to a wall right now.

The "old" dtv was about abusing fences, roofs or barns and if you couldn't do that the server was mostly empty and the few people that did play on it rushed towards the enemy spawn and then s-keyed their way back to the virgin. On a few maps people gathered at bridges or other chokepoints but that almost never happened when i played, even when i tried to encourage people to do it.

Also, when i think really hard about how many people actually complained about the new maps (since the latest patch) may it be ingame or here on the forum, i can count maybe 10. But 5 out of those 10 are playing the mode anyway so it can't be that bad. It's always the voice of the ragers that is the loudest here in crpg.

I'm done explaining myself. Like it or not, you are stuck with me as scene manager because teeth sure as hell doesn't give a crap about dtv. When Shik told me he wanted to spice up dtv i made decisions regarding the maps, a few of them i revised and solved otherwise, but from what i see on the server nowadays, from a scene managing point of view, i am satisfied with the result. There is plenty of teamwork going on and the few heroes that wanna do it their own way still can and still are doing that, ballistas are being constantly used and were a great addition to the mode and i experienced people coming to the very late rounds, engineers or even sexies, on every single map, with most of them being actually winnable.

I'm not going to close this thread, but i'm not going to answer anything from now on, either. For map feedback of new maps in the upcoming patch(s) go to the feedback thread or better, the threads of the mappers that did them and if you find any bugs or exploitable spots on current maps report them to me and i will fix them. That is all for this thread.

(click to show/hide)
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2014, 10:23:10 pm »
+8

We want the old maps back and the dumb new waves removed. Then we don't want to see DTV messed with again.

You don't want to have a map that supports shieldwalls in a way that makes them very useful, you don't like ballista-maps, s-keying sucks too, what else is there?!

1) Many old maps supported shieldwalls, they just weren't used too much since people PREFER to charge. "Very useful" is not a synonym for "the only way to get past nomads."
2) I said ballistas were a decent addition in many cases, so that lower levels could still get involved. I only said that an entire map that is nothing more than a love-child of ballistas is just wrong (i.e. the firing line map). The ballistas are a fun addition for peasants to mess around with, but they shouldn't be shoved in our face like that.
3) S-keying sucks when it is literally all that you can do.. W and then S key. In native maps was there a lot of S keying? Sure. But before that came weaving in and out of enemies, selecting the best angle of attack, and THEN S keying, usually off to the SIDE (so that means A or D key as well) because if you lured the bots the the V, well, you're dumb. Old maps supported pulling in any and all directions, no ONLY straight forwards then backwards right to the V. THIS is what most of us miss from the old DTV... sure a couple new maps allow us to S key, and ONLY S key. But no one likes doing that.

Sure, some people abused fences or walls and such to win and advance to later rounds. But you seem to generalize way too much. DTV is casual, where people go to hangout, actually have fun in this mod, and relax from the more competitive modes. Many of us would charge and meet the bots  head on, as previously described, but sometimes even that was too-tryhard, and we would camp at the V and wait for the bots to come to us. However, we would switch back and forth between both tactics frequently... it gets boring doing one or the other time and time again. With the new maps which altogether eliminate one option or the other, the game gets stale. The main problem with the new maps is that u have got ONE way to win rounds on each map, and thats it. No variety, no inventive strategies, nada. And for the record, shieldwalls commonly formed on bridge maps.

Well there are many reasons for that. First being that very few members of this mod actually have forums accounts, and if so they sure as hell don't come here posting every day. You will probably find that in DTV, the "noob" server, you will find the least amount of forum accounts linked with the game accounts. And I will admit, you can chalk me up as one of your 5/10, but I sure as hell aint playing this mode on any of the new shit maps. So not sure what you are accomplishing by saying that I still play the mode...

Also, leave it to someone receiving some QQ to instantly call their opposition in the argument 'ragers' and try to strip their arguments of any validity. That's a very common "Well, well... I don't have any more comebacks, so I am just gonna call your argument invalid and be done. There! I win now!"

I don't just post here with my own thoughts and observations, trying to keep DTV how I want it. No, I speak very often with other players of DTV and get their input before coming here. It is not just MY opinion that DTV is 'more popular than ever' due to the influx of power grinders, that is the generally accepted truth. And once we are on an oldie-but-goodie map, all those power grinders leave since we are getting average, acceptable amounts of XP once more... while u know, having a little something called fun. I am not nearly the only one that I have spoken with who feels claustrophobic in almost all new maps. I don't even bother bringing up the topic anymore and last time I was in the server someone I had never seen around before (who was an archer, btw) stated that he "hates all these DTV maps since there is no where to move."

I think we all liked it better when DTV had no scene managers. You should probably take a page out of Teeth's book and stop giving a crap about DTV, since you obviously only have a faked interest in the mode itself. Just change the maps back to what they were, and leave it be is the best course of action for you. Also, when was the last time Shik was ever in DTV, or cared the least bit about it? The first, last, and only time I saw him in there was roughly 1 year ago. Sure, it's great that some guys show interest in keeping the mode feeling fresh... but shouldn't it be, well, a task force of people who actually LIKE the game mode, and frequent it?

Frankly, none of us players really care how you feel about the maps "from a scene manager's POV" since that has nothing to do with fun or reliability. You see people getting far on all maps? Great, that could always happen. All you need are one or two 500 ping 13 shield skill guys sitting in a corner and you can do that on any map. And those guys are far more prevalent and productive on these cramped, new maps. Only reason it was harder for that strategy to work is because the maps were large, and open. Now you've got a whopping TWO paths bots take. Well contrary to your belief, bots would often take many paths, and different ones each round, since it all depends on where us humans are sitting.

And there it is... the white flag waving. GG, been fun, since old DTV wins time to revert back methinks.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2014, 10:38:38 pm »
+4
(click to show/hide)

This guy should be map maker, not Fips  :wink:

If you can't stand criticism don't apply for a job in the first place. And what's wrong with this thread that you wanted to close it? Where are "we" supposed to put feedback if not here, in "scene editing" subforum?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:43:52 pm by Falka »