Author Topic: What do you drive?  (Read 11236 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: What do you drive?
« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2013, 12:24:24 pm »
+3
SUV owners often forget that there is always a bigger one, trucks in this case.

Moreover, SUVs are city vehicules, where accidents hardly ever result in car drivers getting seriously harmed physically given the relatively low speeds. The only "security" thing you should really care about is how much car damage is going to cost you, and there are few choices worse than SUVs when it comes to that.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2013, 01:00:28 pm »
+2
Moreover, SUVs are city vehicules, where accidents hardly ever result in car drivers getting seriously harmed physically given the relatively low speeds. The only "security" thing you should really care about is how much car damage is going to cost you, and there are few choices worse than SUVs when it comes to that.

So we've come to conclusion that if you own SUV, don't post in this thread because you're an idiot and we will ridicule you for it :D.

Being rich is not an excuse. If you were smart you would have used your money wisely instead.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2013, 01:46:50 pm »
+2
For me the most annoying part is that due to the higher ride I can't look through their back window in front of them like I do with normal cars. Damn wankers...

TopGear had a nice test. The took cars like the X7, ther Q7 and some big Volvo and compared them on the road and off-road.

Conclusion for on-road was that they are wobbly and uncomfortable compared to "normal" cars.

Off-road was funny: They were supposed to drive up a wet green and carry on through a less steep forest part. Iirc the Volvo came the longest way but they all died out somewhere along the way. Cut. You see a LandRover Defender from '68, slowily just driving past them. No electronics in it whatsoever, just old fashioned metal... was funny to look at :D

EDIT: Also, I believe this product was specificly designed for SUV driver...

(click to show/hide)
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 31, 2013, 02:22:18 pm »
+1
http://www.ebay.com/gds/7-Benefits-of-Owning-an-SUV-/10000000177404569/g.html

The "there is always bigger" argument is stupid and doesn't work. Yes, there are trucks, but those are much more rare than smaller cars. Furthermore... so what? If you are safer from 85% of the driving population by owning a SUV, how on Earth does "well there's still SOME trucks out there" invalidate that? Basic probability theory.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 31, 2013, 02:49:03 pm »
+2
But you completely miss the point Xant. I don't see any sense to buy bigger and bigger cars for safety reasons. It's just dumb to have the average car size go up for reasons like that and have the green party fuck us all in the arse as a result. Maybe you'll mow down some poor civic driver every now and then but it doesn't help you much when you collide with other SUV's or trucks.

Good driving habits play a much bigger part than arrogance and active safety features. You can and will improve your safety by driving smart and staying alert. Active safety is overrated.

Lol @ ebay buying guide logic. "4. Vehicle Handling" and "6. Fuel Efficient Options" :mrgreen:

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 31, 2013, 02:54:02 pm »
+2
It doesn't help when you collide with other SUVs or trucks, no, but it helps if you collide with smaller cars.. which would be a definite bonus no matter what, even if the amount of smaller cars was 0.01%, but seeing as the majority of cars are smaller than SUVs, it's a great benefit; it's far more likely to crash with a smaller car than a truck.

It isn't an "either or" kind of choice, either. You can own a SUV and have good driving habits. Arrogance and no active safety features is far worse than arrogance and active safety features.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 31, 2013, 03:04:26 pm »
+1
I agree. SUV + good driving = safe and awesome, but I'd rather have those arrogant SUV drivers getting a small car instead before they kill someone else than themselves :D.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 31, 2013, 03:06:06 pm »
+3
And here was, thinking we could have a nice discussion about cars without Xant swooping in and annoy the shit out of the whole matter...

Thanks!

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 31, 2013, 03:13:51 pm »
+3
I agree. SUV + good driving = safe and awesome, but I'd rather have those arrogant SUV drivers getting a small car instead before they kill someone else than themselves :D.
Sure, but just have to separate two different things: SUVs and "the average SUV driver." Same with BMWs; nothing wrong with the cars themselves, but the drivers tend to fit a stereotype. Doesn't mean every driver has to be a jerk, though.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2013, 03:24:39 pm »
+1
And here was, thinking we could have a nice discussion about cars without Xant swooping in and annoy the shit out of the whole matter...

Thanks!
Haha... You must admit he has a point, but it isn't enough to conclude SUV's are good as a whole.

SUV's are just not good value for your money. If you want safety, buy a Saab or a Volvo. Good bonus with those is that they are not as likely to fall over as SUV's ;).

Sure, but just have to separate two different things: SUVs and "the average SUV driver." Same with BMWs; nothing wrong with the cars themselves, but the drivers tend to fit a stereotype. Doesn't mean every driver has to be a jerk, though.

Again agreed. Still I wonder why so many people are buying SUV's. Only sensible argument is active safety. Everything else about them is crap...

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2013, 03:57:47 pm »
+1
SUV's are just not good value for your money. If you want safety, buy a Saab or a Volvo. Good bonus with those is that they are not as likely to fall over as SUV's ;).

Again agreed. Still I wonder why so many people are buying SUV's. Only sensible argument is active safety. Everything else about them is crap...

They are buying them for the room, you get the 3rd row seating option to be like a van, or the ability to put the seats down and become an oversized stationwagon, all while being able to tow small things(i really frown upon people who tow stuff with a car, its so bad for the transmission and frame of the vehicle, they are not meant to tow trailers and such, sure they can do it, but they shouldnt).

Im not sure that they have the same options in Europe, however in the U.S, they are coming out, and kind of have been for a while with these C.U.V's.  The compact utility vehicle, meant to give you the gas reduction that you would see in cars, while the utility of the SUV.  Most get above 30mpg, which i might add is pretty damn good, considering my car gets 18 lol! and with premium (93 octane), though thats my fault for tuning it.  I guess it also comes down to preference as well, some people just might like the look of it compared to a stationwagon as well.  I myself do not like stationwagons at all, every time i think of one, i think of this:

Which reminds me of National Lampoons  Vacation
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:01:40 pm by AntiBlitz »

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2013, 04:10:21 pm »
+2

...would drive. It's already cool for the Chubby Chase factor :D

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2013, 04:19:53 pm »
+3
The problem is that you could just instead have a van with seats in the back or a proper offroad car (Range Rover etc) to give you the extra space, seats and security. Not some ridiculous wannabe off road vehicle.

Volkswagen Transporter (Multivan these days?) destroys SUV's at every front. Cheaper taxes. Has good diesel engines with low fuel consumption. More room for the passengers. You can also take the seats away and use it as a regular van if you want to.

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
« Reply #178 on: October 31, 2013, 04:56:03 pm »
+1
I drive small and medium sized SUVs and I'm quite happy about them. Obviously sedan or even wagon (kombi) behaves better on smooth road, so SUVs have disadvantages, but I enjoy sitting high (so looking above the cars in front of me), big trunks (which matters when you have kids and want to take them for a longer trip - even high kombis won't give you that and if they do - they are loooong so difficult to park in the city), sensible fuel consumption combined with relatively high power (diesel  :D).

I don't go off-road, but I occasionally drive unpaved roads or drive in fresh snow. Trust me, there is nothing better than SUV if you go around the city covered with fresh snow and you do not see the small obstacles like this damn bumps that are supposed to slow you  down.

And sorry, cars like Transporter (drove those too) are painful in the city.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 03, 2013, 03:19:49 pm »
+4
Nah I still don't believe you can't do same exact stuff in the city with a station vagon, van or a minivan (also called people carrier, MPV or MUV.)

There's just no sensible reason for SUV's. They aren't exactly small and nimble to park in the city easily, nor are they as spaceous and safe as many of above mentioned. The ride is hard and the vehicle is likely to fall over if you make a mistake. You get the high driving position but that's about it. Overall SUV does even better work than a BMW in making you look like a cock :wink:. Atleast BMW is a good car.