Author Topic: Additional run tier when holding block/chamber  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
Re: Additional run tier when holding block/chamber
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 11:07:47 pm »
+1
Edit: Yeah the Longspear is notorious about those pointblank stab spins, they happen much less frequently with the pike but they are no more ridiculous than pointblank 2h stabs (or those extended reach ones that hang out there forever and still hit really hard).

While I for one think that the 1h/2h lolstabs are far worse than any bendy pike nonsense, I feel like a lot of people complain about the pike/ls stab since it simply makes no sense, in game or in real combat. Realistically, you COULD stab someone point blank with a 1h in real life... I mean using a knife is essentially point blank range anyways. And even with some 2handed swords, the bastard class especially, it might be possible, somehow. Greatswords and the like... not so much. But a 10 foot long pike could literally never stab someone point blank when held properly. I think the problem is simply a realism issue.... "How the hell did I just get hit when the spearhead is 10 feet away from me?!?!?!? "
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 11:10:46 pm »
+2
Why those things dont get fixed? Its really disturbing and just plain silly since day one.

Because it's able to happen with all weapons, not just pokey polearms. 

- Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 12:28:44 pm »
Because it's able to happen with all weapons, not just pokey polearms. 

Pokey polearms do it better than any other weapon

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 12:35:44 pm »
+1
I love all the people whining about pikes being able to stab up close while the only reason they get facehugged all the time is the way pikes work, or more like do not work properly in the game. Realistically you would not be able to be safe from a pike forever by just holding your weapon out in front of you horizontally, nor would you be able to walk straight through an extended pointy stick.

You get to close in on pikes way too easily and then it is unrealistic and stupid if we can strike back at you? Real convenient to apply the realism argument like that.

they happen much less frequently with the pike
They simply do not happen with the pike as the weapon has no hitbox for like the first meter of the stick. Which incidentally is also why you can stab straight through anything that is less than that meter thick, including walls and teammates. You can still kickstab with a pike though, but you need to be fast enough get enough distance during the kick stagger.

Pokey polearms do it better than any other weapon
Wrong, they do it better because they need it more so they practiced it more.

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 12:37:41 pm »
+1
As for the OP's suggestion, this is an enormous change in the very base mechanics of combat which will have many unforseen consequences, which I think is not advisable with the current dev attention and inability to do quick tweaks or fixes.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 02:14:13 pm »

With longspear/pike I might be inclined to think it is effectively the case.

With awlpikes ? Hell no.

Offline Relit

• Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Relit
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 02:19:28 pm »
I love all the people whining about pikes being able to stab up close while the only reason they get facehugged all the time is the way pikes work, or more like do not work properly in the game. Realistically you would not be able to be safe from a pike forever by just holding your weapon out in front of you horizontally, nor would you be able to walk straight through an extended pointy stick.

Agreed. The realism argument does not really hold much weight versus Pikes, it always seems like people are cherry picking certain situations then calling out "Unrealistic!", when they are surrounded by unrealistic things.

They simply do not happen with the pike as the weapon has no hitbox for like the first meter of the stick. Which incidentally is also why you can stab straight through anything that is less than that meter thick, including walls and teammates. You can still kickstab with a pike though, but you need to be fast enough get enough distance during the kick stagger.

Oh they happen. I can do them myself. It just depends on what people define as pointblank. If I get a decent spin and the enemy is standing still, due to ping/latency it will appear like I am doing a pointblank stab on their screen but on mine I have positioned the pike just out of that first meter of the stick. These happen fairly consistently especially versus guys with higher than average ping.

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 02:53:19 pm »
Oh they happen. I can do them myself. It just depends on what people define as pointblank. If I get a decent spin and the enemy is standing still, due to ping/latency it will appear like I am doing a pointblank stab on their screen but on mine I have positioned the pike just out of that first meter of the stick. These happen fairly consistently especially versus guys with higher than average ping.
I define point blank as them pretty much touching you and you can't do them. The visual difference you are talking about would require like 500 ms as jumping away does not happen in 40 ms. Besides, how would you even know what it would look like on the screen of other players?

Offline Relit

• Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Relit
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 03:01:55 pm »
I define point blank as them pretty much touching you and you can't do them. The visual difference you are talking about would require like 500 ms as jumping away does not happen in 40 ms. Besides, how would you even know what it would look like on the screen of other players?

Ive done it to people with 120ish ping and then people with 30 ping and discussed it on TS with them. There is a noticeable difference in how it appears on their side compared to mine. Its really a minor difference but its there and does effect the outcome of fights, especially 1 on 1's.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 04:05:15 pm »
+1
As for the OP's suggestion, this is an enormous change in the very base mechanics of combat which will have many unforseen consequences, which I think is not advisable with the current dev attention and inability to do quick tweaks or fixes.

100% agree.  I think san makes a really great suggestion (probably one of the more useful ones I've seen in a long time), but the devs are just simply not active enough to tweak and modify new game mechanics that get implemented (well the one's who actually "release" the updates).  Prime example is the kick area of effect. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 04:28:22 pm »
This might be an interesting suggestion, but, yeah, a bit late.