Author Topic: Your Opinion on Throwing Lances?  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
Re: Your Opinion on Throwing Lances?
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 11:47:24 am »
Let me guess. You are an archer, right?

DING! DING! DING! JACKPOT!!!
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 12:20:45 pm »
Let me guess. You are an archer, right?

And I got my own accuracy nerfs. Thanks for that btw.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 04:03:24 pm »
And I got my own accuracy nerfs. Thanks for that btw.

Actually, buffs, if you use loomed bow/arrows.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Amatsuka

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 08:21:35 pm »
+3 lances have nearly the same melee stats as a +3 shortened spear. I think the only difference is one damage on the thrust more for the lances. They are decent melee weapons, very fast, but low damage and range, but fighting a high level melee char with them is usually not a good idea. If you (a melee guy) are getting beaten by a thrower using a lance, it is because the thrower was better than you, not because a +3 shortened spear with +1 pierce damage is an OP weapon.

As a ranged weapon, they're pretty crap. Innaccurate, slow, extremely low ammo and despite what some people say, most of your throws will not be one shots.

All in all, I think they're pretty balanced. I wouldn't give them more ammo, they're in a good place and are one of the more unique playstyles in the mod.

Throwing lances are prohibitively expensive.  Price them more reasonably and I think we can call them balanced.  A short spear costs 110 gold to maintain.  A throwing lance costs 567 gold to maintain.  A stack of 4 of them is impractical unless you're basically naked and on foot.  Furthermore, they're incredibly stat intensive limiting the builds able to take advantage of them.  Unlike a short spear, for example.  What you get in exchange is a pretty inaccurate, slow, ranged weapon with one shot that will occasionally kill a target.  Shielders chuckle at it.  Occasionally someone in plate will walk around with three sticking out of him.  Basically the only reason to throw "throwing lances" at the moment is for laughs, you don't really want or need it, or you are about to die.

A thrower will get more mileage by taking a short spear and a few stacks of throwing spears.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 08:26:30 pm by Amatsuka »

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 08:26:23 pm »
Throwing lances are prohibitively expensive.  Price them more reasonably and I think we can call them balanced.  A short spear costs 110 gold to maintain.  A throwing lance costs 567 gold to maintain.  A stack of 4 of them is impractical unless you're basically naked and on foot.  Furthermore, they're incredibly stat intensive limiting the builds able to take advantage of them.  Unlike a short spear, for example.  What you get in exchange is a pretty inaccurate, slow, ranged weapon with one shot that will occasionally kill a target.  Shielders chuckle at it.  Occasionally someone in plate will walk around with three sticking out of him.  Basically the only reason to throw "throwing lances" at the moment is for laughs, you don't really want or need it, or you are about to die.

Speaking of which, why isn't there lobbying to make horse thrower into a more viable class?
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 08:59:25 pm »
Throwing lances are prohibitively expensive.  Price them more reasonably and I think we can call them balanced.  A short spear costs 110 gold to maintain.  A throwing lance costs 567 gold to maintain.  A stack of 4 of them is impractical unless you're basically naked and on foot.

Speak for yourself. I make money using lances and medium weaboo armour. I used to make money even when using a rouncey with that setup. Not that the price of a horse is a factor in balancing a throwing weapon....

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 11:56:51 pm »
+2
Speaking of which, why isn't there lobbying to make horse thrower into a more viable class?
It already is...
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 12:09:12 am »
I'm as scared of them as I am of most throwing weapons, but my build is particularly susceptible to throwers with decent athletics, so that's definitely part of it.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 10:57:06 am »

this would be an epic counter against all cav, and especially against ranged ones.

imagine the fking over HA and HX and the endless rivers of their QQ.

oops, i am dreaming again.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 11:57:47 pm »
+1

If you don't think they are viable already, you don't play the game or are just ignorant, and I know you play the game  :lol:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2013, 02:45:06 pm »
Bring back 12-13 PT builds and 2 ammo per stack for throwing lances, pretty please.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2013, 03:53:02 pm »
Great Melee secondary, easy to find and scavenge on ANY map.  Good accuracy and damage.

I think it is fine, sure, once you run out you are in a pickle.  Although, that is the risk of throwing weapons.  Save the last one for melee or blocking.

Also, the belief that a cav thrower is not viable is silly.  Just because you rarely see them does not mean they are not viable.  They are actually quite formidable, and much more terrifying then Horse Archers if you ask me.

Offline DumpsterNerd

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 06:58:35 am »
I'm not sure what is trollbait and what isn't, but my main has been off and on throwing throughout the course of my play, and here's my opinion on throwing lances (I'm going to echo on a lot of points already said).

The context of my current gen is 21/18, 7 PT 7PS 6WM 6ATH 142 throwing wpf 84 pole wpf @ level 31.  I use 2 stacks of jarids, 2 stacks of throwing lances for my weapons.  My normal behavior is to save 1 lance for melee until I can scavenge a better polearm.

1.)  It's actually just worse than a short spear on the melee stats @ base level (2 less blunt on swings, same pierce iirc -- dunno tired).  It's very similar, and behaves the same way (annoying stun on the sideswing, and a pretty decent stab).  It does cost 5 times the amount, but you're paying for the ability to throw it and go for great lols.  Personally I think its melee stats are fine.  They are good enough to justify being used in melee, but against anyone who has a clue and a decent weapon, it's likely the other guy will win.

2.)  The only people these are 1 shotting are cav (mostly from the speed bonus) and people in under 40 armor.  Even then it's possible to live.  I routinely get hit by a throwing lance and live with 41 body and 30 leg armor.  I also have 0IF. That being said, it usually consumes 60-100% of my hp.

3.)  Horse throwing is maximum troll build, but little effect from what I've seen and tried.  I don't think you can make this build truly dangerous unless you are over level 30.  You have to be too close to be effective, and at that range why not just lance or 2h for maximum kdr play.

4.)  I like the idea of changing the throwing lance to a 2 slot 3 stack item.  With this change I think they would need a stat change.  Perhaps a lowering of the damage coupled with an increase in accuracy would make sense.  The idea being these are the arbalest of the throwing weapons, designed to disable/pick off very high value targets.  Not designed to throw at peasants.

All in all, I think they're pretty good.  I would be fine if they don't get touched at all honesty, but I did like the ammo count + slot increase.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2013, 07:53:08 am »
+1
3.)  Horse throwing is maximum troll build, but little effect from what I've seen and tried.  I don't think you can make this build truly dangerous unless you are over level 30.  You have to be too close to be effective, and at that range why not just lance or 2h for maximum kdr play.
Horsethrowing with throwing lances becomes a functional build at level 29.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline DumpsterNerd

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2013, 08:14:27 am »
Horsethrowing with throwing lances becomes a functional build at level 29.

What build, and what range?

The best you can do is 21/18 with lances and 6 riding 6wm 7 pt and 1 extra stat.  What is this mystical build?

All the builds I've seen still have a target area that's almost impossible unless you're within long spear range.  And again, at that point, why not just use a lance or a 2hander and be a far more effective build?

Like I said, it can kill shit, but it's a troll.  It can only effectively kill 4 targets a round without having to scavenge.  That being said, the build does decimate for dehorsing.