Author Topic: Split NA players from EU players.  (Read 14799 times)

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
Re: Split NA players from EU players.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 04:24:21 pm »
I still would rather have a single (much larger than calradia) map.
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 06:29:04 pm »
What leikner makes the most sense,

1. Make it one ginormous map, both NA and EU

2. There are 2 large continents , one NA one EU

3. This would allow the Na and EU to still trade with this new economy system
b. This would allow for awesome sea battle in between if they are ever implemented
c.  The mixed clans can still stay together and both communities both EU and NA still stay somewhat together, or at least influence one another with troop transports and what not

P.s make it so the the continents  lack a resource that the other has( make trading necessary)
Just a soldier

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 06:34:41 pm »
im for it, esppecially now when strategus is on its way
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline H4rdn3ssKill3r

• Baron
  • Renown: 107
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Crummy Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: naaaaaaaaaah
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 06:37:02 pm »
A believer HALLAJUAH!
f8uasdlöadk blablablababa lbalba
^ Analogy of discussions on forums.

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 07:08:27 pm »
I don't really see the point of that kind of system, but I wouldn't really care either way as long as the NA continent is smaller than the EU one, proportional to player base. It's only fair. :P

The  :P May have been used however this is actually an important point.

Otherwise the American factions will all on average be more powerful than the European as they will be fitting less players into an equally sized area. Leading to a larger "GDP per capita". This would then give an advantage to the American continent in any continental wars.

---

I would rather see a better developed territorial control system that allows you to choose the server you fight your battles on, like what we had before but better. Think something more along the lines of "core provinces" in Europa Universalis. Or as suggested by others a total disconnect as opposed to an imbalanced American continent.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 01:22:00 am »
Wrong, Since strategus ended the NA population has doubled with a number of clans coming from Native, we have same number of servers and roughly the same number of players as EU.  Also, a lot of the new people have joined clans who were previously active on Strategus or are planning to be. 
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 01:25:15 am »
Wrong, Since strategus ended the NA population has doubled with a number of clans coming from Native, we have same number of servers and roughly the same number of players as EU.  Also, a lot of the new people have joined clans who were previously active on Strategus or are planning to be.

Not for anything but EU players had a blast aswell.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 03:51:27 am »
I try to lobby chadz, as it is absolutly no fun playing on foreign servers. And I think anyone who (really) played strategus knows, a war between a big EU and NA faction is unlikely to happen because it's just frustrating, making 1/3 of the current map "unused".
People that are concerned that the community will be split, well, it already is, I know nearly nothing about the NA playerbase, and you can't tell me you participate much on the other side of the pond (tournaments for example, clan battles and such).

My current idea would be:
2 calradias, players can chose on which they spawn, and freely travel between them with ships.
EU continent forces EU server and has EU-nighttime(no battles, less speed on the map), NA continent the NA server and NA-nighttime. If you are a masochistic one, you are free to play on the other continent, but you won't be able to force your server on them.

If you have a mixed clan, you either take coastal regions on both continents, or a part of your playerbase has to suck it up and always play on foreign server. Not that different from the current situation, if you currently have 50% NA and 50% EU players, 50% of your players always fight on the wrong server anyways.

This. Would. Make. Strategus. Awesome.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Sharky

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Legione Italica
  • Game nicks: LEGIO_Sharkyborn_Sharkatron Legio_Lollia_Paolina Legio_Sharkatrower Legio_SharkaNukes
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 04:06:02 am »
I would rather see a better developed territorial control system that allows you to choose the server you fight your battles on, like what we had before but better. Think something more along the lines of "core provinces" in Europa Universalis.
Well that would be better then the current system, like if you take control of a fief for some time, after a while you gain a core and you can always choose you favourite server to do battles on that fief and all the lands near it.

But it still would have a lot of issues, for example: A na clan attack an army outisde an Eu fief. Since they know the battle will happen on eu server, they attack at some impossible hours for europeans, so the defenders will probably have to recruit the North americans randomers that wants/can fight at that hour. So we will have 120 North americans fighting in an European server, with ovius results.

I think a total split would be the best. If impossible a territories split is the second best solution, i think too that Na players are much less and they should have a smaller continent for balance reasons, but for the sake to not playing with huge ping and hours i would accept even a 50% 50% split if NA/Eu player ratio can't be determined easy. Or just make the Na continent 20, 30% smaller so we can't go wrong.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 04:16:28 am by Sharky »

Offline Loki

• Count
  • Renown: 228
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • I don't know karate, but I know crazy.
    • View Profile
    • The Fallen Brigade
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Loki
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 07:18:39 am »
I'm against this as long as the strategus server is ran by a clan.  We've already seen massive abuse, this would just make it worse.  Also this won't stop the shitty time slots and bad pings.  I make sure the battles are at bad times for my enemies, because I plan ahead of time.  We recruit NA and EU players so we can cover all time zones.  We had the NA players make archers for strategus to compensate for the bad pings.

All in all it'd be more trouble than it's worth, and wouldn't solve any of the problems.  You're still gonna have battles scheduled while you're at work and at 3am.  And my ping will always be shitty because I live on the west coast.   

Offline Gamerofthegame

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Desu, LLJK_McSteve, LLJK_Gamer
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 07:50:19 am »
Still, the idea is to try and limit it from happening all the time. Will it happen? 'Course. But it'd be nice to try and lessen it.

Two continents sound nice, though it also sounds like a bit more work to actually make it up.

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 08:09:57 am »
Two continents sound nice, though it also sounds like a bit more work to actually make it up.

True it is, lets leave the map the way it is now so we can get some sort of Strategus faster. Deal with a new map/continent issue after the current territories are to be wiped.

Offline BD_Guard_Bane

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guards
  • Game nicks: BD_Guard_Bane
  • IRC nick: cmpxchg8b
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 09:05:33 am »
I don't really like this idea at all.

Firstly, it would split up a lot of clans. There was supposed to be a tactical element to recruiting EU/NA players or at least making friends with an EU/NA clan (respective to what continent your clan is based in).
Anything that widens the gap between players is a bad idea I think - I enjoy playing with the NA guys, and having them forced by a mechanic to be more remote and less involved in EU stuff (or the other way around) is limiting to enjoyment. NA has quite a few big and small clans, having them so far removed would lessen the content of strategus I think.

Unless something is changed (and I don't think it will be) strategus will always be quite time consuming for a clan, and they'll have to manage it as best as they can. You're always going to have times when you're going to be vulnerable to attack - not everyone in your clan can play 24/7. Instead of eliminating the possibility of having someone attack you at night, it'd be better to have to deal with it by making friends with an NA clan and trying some diplomatic solutions.

And why only for NA? Obviously its not such a big time zone difference, but from my memories of strategus, most night attacks against EU clans were done by Russian clans, mostly in the early morning (2-6 am GMT). And obviously there isn't such a large player base, but what about China? Chinese clans are still playing, and I think there are some Australian ones too.

I think the defender picking the server solution worked fine. You have to spend more resources attacking than you would normally, plus hire players from the other continent if you want to win, but its a far better solution than to separate a huge amount of players.
I think all that will happen is that EU/NA diplomatic involvement will be necessary, and NA and EU clans will be hesitant to go to war with each other directly. It'll create some interesting tactical situations.

Also, playing with 150 or so ping isn't so bad. For archery its ok, and 100 ping can work as a 2hander even. Or just buy all your troops big spammy weapons and low armour and use them as Forlorn Hope.
I defended the village and all I got was this stupid title.

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 09:15:30 am »
I don't like the splitting up either, but I do like the idea of 2 calradia's, just a bigger map.

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 04:08:43 pm »
We had the NA players make archers for strategus to compensate for the bad pings.
I am sure they have fun beeing forced to play as 1 role, as any other role is useless for them. They can fight and play on EU territory in the future, too, but won't be able to force NA server there. So nothing much changed for them.
All in all it'd be more trouble than it's worth, and wouldn't solve any of the problems.  You're still gonna have battles scheduled while you're at work and at 3am.
No. Read my idea, I suggest there will be "night times", during which there will be no battles, and movement speed halfed. With the 2 continents you can have EU nighttime here, and NA nighttime there, this would not be possible with the current system.

I suggested a "soft-split", no one will be forced on which continent they spawn, your clan will still be able to play together, if you want to play on both servers for some reason, settle coastal regions. I think most of the "mixed" clans operated on one server anyways, didn't they?

And please stop with that "It will split the NA and EU community even more!" stuff. That implies they were together once, outside of the forums. How many NA clans are participating in the fallens events? Out of 19, I see 1 NA clan. Shogunate tournament has 0 NA clans. Are there even NA tournaments? I have no idea. But as far as I can tell, really mixed clans are the minority here.

You say it was fine with the old system, but were you really playing strategus (more than "I sit in my village all day long!")? Once in ye olde days filthy NA-LLJK were attacking our proud EU-Kwynn, they stood no chance. Not because they sucked, but because they just had no chance with their ping (people told me I was a good commander after that crushing victory, but I think everyone knew why we wiped the floor with them). I doubt they had much fun in that battle. Or that one battle where fallens had 10k(?) troops in our southern land, Loki was on a egotrip and decided NA server. It ended as 60 EU players versus 40 EU players and 20 NA players. Guess which 20 had fun.
All this ping stuff, hiring of foreign players and chosing fugly timeslots is stupid metagaming that kills the fun and should be removed.

My suggestion so far:
  • 2 continents
  • Each continent will have 1 server location(NA/EU) forced, except if both sides agree otherwise
  • Each continent will have "night", during which there will be no battles(you can still attack, though, but the battle won't be in 24h, but at the next free "day" timeslot), and movement speed halved (2:00 to 8:00 or something like that)
  • Players will be able to chose on which continent they spawn
  • Players can freely travel between continents, using ships
  • Players can participate in battles on both continents (if they get hired)
This system would allow the die-hard international clans to settle coastal areas, and have fun on both servers, or force 1 server on all their players, like some already do. And the majority of the clans can play freely without having to worry about night attacks, lagfests and other fugly metagaming