Author Topic: Repair Costs?  (Read 8839 times)

Offline Testicleez

• Duke
  • Renown: 619
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Testicleez
Re: Repair Costs?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 03:07:24 pm »
I started playing a week ago and I was very upset about the repair costs once I was able to afford decent armor and weapons (You might have seen me complain about it on the forums), but now I understand it's importance. Like many of people have said in this thread, it keeps the high level players from wearing & using high-class armor and weapons forever. I think the 'random' chance of getting an item damaged should be slightly lowered, but other than that I like the repair system.

I'm a happy player now :mrgreen:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 04:27:20 pm »
+3
I think upkeep is good in theory, but in it's current incarnation it's kind of broken.

To put things in perspective, my main has a dumptruck full of money. I could wear plate all day every day and it wouldn't mean a thing. I also have a higher than average multi from running with my clanmates. I have a feeling that there are a lot of people in the same position that I am.

However, upkeep is BRUTAL to new players. I made a new character recently and purposefully played him without my clanmates. The only time I was making any real money was when I was running entirely in peasant gear. I'm currently having him run around in 14k worth of gear and having a bitch of a time making any cash. If I have just one bad upkeep round, it took me anywhere from 3-6 maps to catch back up to where I was.

To me, it feels like you made more money as a new player before the upkeep system was ever rolled out. I don't want to go back to those days, however.

As it stands currently, I applaud the new players who actually stick it out. It must be frustrating as hell when you can't afford anything and pretty much everyone kills you.

It also seems kind of shitty that the only way a new player can get out of this money pit is by selling their 1st heirloom point. Imagine how disheartening it is to finally hit 31 and you have to sell your heirloom point just so you can use decent gear your next gen.

I don't really know for sure how to solve the problem, but I think that something needs to be done. One idea I have is a sliding scale of upkeep. For this, all upkeep costs would be lowered dramatically. However, the higher up in "tier" you go, the greater the chance of needing to pay upkeep on something. If we get the numbers right, higher tier equipment should cost about the same as it does now, but low and mid tier items would be much easier to sustain.

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments?

Offline Entaro

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Snowhawk Clan
  • Faction: Snowhawk Clan
  • Game nicks: SHC_Entar
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 05:07:09 pm »
I think upkeep is good in theory, but in it's current incarnation it's kind of broken.

To put things in perspective, my main has a dumptruck full of money. I could wear plate all day every day and it wouldn't mean a thing. I also have a higher than average multi from running with my clanmates. I have a feeling that there are a lot of people in the same position that I am.

However, upkeep is BRUTAL to new players. I made a new character recently and purposefully played him without my clanmates. The only time I was making any real money was when I was running entirely in peasant gear. I'm currently having him run around in 14k worth of gear and having a bitch of a time making any cash. If I have just one bad upkeep round, it took me anywhere from 3-6 maps to catch back up to where I was.

To me, it feels like you made more money as a new player before the upkeep system was ever rolled out. I don't want to go back to those days, however.

As it stands currently, I applaud the new players who actually stick it out. It must be frustrating as hell when you can't afford anything and pretty much everyone kills you.

It also seems kind of shitty that the only way a new player can get out of this money pit is by selling their 1st heirloom point. Imagine how disheartening it is to finally hit 31 and you have to sell your heirloom point just so you can use decent gear your next gen.

I don't really know for sure how to solve the problem, but I think that something needs to be done. One idea I have is a sliding scale of upkeep. For this, all upkeep costs would be lowered dramatically. However, the higher up in "tier" you go, the greater the chance of needing to pay upkeep on something. If we get the numbers right, higher tier equipment should cost about the same as it does now, but low and mid tier items would be much easier to sustain.

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments?

I think you are on to something there.  After all, I think the main purpose behind upkeep is to prevent an entire battle from being full of players with top tier items.  Some kind of scaled repair system - maybe where you pay a higher %/higher chance of breaking the more expensive the gear is.

This is coming from the position of someone who recently started.  I am usually using lighter armor, and trying not to pass ~30k in gear cost to spin a profit while online, but I see a lot of tin cans, round in and round out that don't seem too bothered by the changes.  If this upkeep system had been in place earlier it might be solid on it's own...

But mostly what I see is a lot of entitled good old boys and everyone else. :p

Still love cRPG.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 05:08:35 pm »
Well, the older players had enough time  to earn their money.
Why should a newer player get the same amount of cash in less time?
I have made a new char to and it was not that bad.  And i think their main problem ist, that they want wear too fast too expensive equipment.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 05:13:09 pm »
Well, the older players had enough time  to earn their money.
Why should a newer player get the same amount of cash in less time?
I have made a new char to and it was not that bad.  And i think their main problem ist, that they want wear too fast too expensive equipment.

You're also coming from the perspective of an experienced player.

You already know how to fight, who you should avoid, how to stay alive longer. You also know what equipment is worth buying and when.

Why should a new player be punished for wanting to experiment?

Offline Draggon

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Blocking axes with my face since June 2011
    • View Profile
    • SnowHawkClan.org
  • Faction: Snowhawk Clan (SHC)
  • Game nicks: SHC_Draggon, SHC_Draggonfang, SHC_Draggonclaw
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 02:48:40 pm »
You're also coming from the perspective of an experienced player.

You already know how to fight, who you should avoid, how to stay alive longer. You also know what equipment is worth buying and when.

Why should a new player be punished for wanting to experiment?
That's a good point.  Having come from Native and just entering cRPG there were alot of new weapons and armor to get used to both using and fighting against.  Just completed Gen 1 and I bought a shitload of stuff just to try it out.  Of course picking up items off the ground is a decent way to give things a shot too.  But most times you just wanna buy something so you can try it out longer than one spawn.

I currently wear less than 25k gear, and still the only way to make money is to have my repairs turned off.  There are some tough guilds out there that I usually end up fighting against, which of course causes a nice roll of x1's. =)  Not complaining at all - I know that's how it is starting out.

Offline PacifisticKiller

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2012, 03:29:01 am »
This is what's wrong with this game: I had 12k before going on a losing streak, NOW LOOK WHAT I HAVE :mad:http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198042999203/screenshot/612720649982048388

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2012, 06:10:44 am »
Upkeep is shitty.

Fucking waste of time to code and mess around with IMO, let people use whatever they want and deal with it.

Or implement a NA xmasrpg server.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Olat

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2012, 10:36:42 am »
As a New player, I think the repair system is complete trash. I understand why its in place, but now you have like NO one using the good gear because its just a money sink... I mean I wanted to play a Melee Tanky Champion... and now I cant. I got all the good armor, been saving for it. But hell I cant even use it. It costs soo much to repair, I was going broke so quick.

New players get stomped no matter what because of the LVL system, and not knowing whats going on. I was gunna build a Tanky guy to atleast survive a few hits, but now thats not even possible. I mean with all the MW Weapons and looms out there, its already hard to survive 1 hit or 2.

I was having tons of fun saving and trying to buy new gear and lvl up, im lvl 24 or so right now and I almost wanna quit playing because I cant use the gear I saved up for.

So thats my take on it.

Offline Kenouse

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deserter_Grlmb3rg
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2012, 11:38:03 am »
Before this upkeep system, every1 were running around in either black armor or that heavy trans with hourglass, mail mittens or W/E.
unless you had a decent wep with a great amount of WP you would'nt be able to hit him.
Im just saying, i dont think you would go back to the "old" days.... this way you have a chance to kill ppl

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2012, 12:30:42 pm »
+1
Before this upkeep system, every1 were running around in either black armor or that heavy trans with hourglass, mail mittens or W/E.
unless you had a decent wep with a great amount of WP you would'nt be able to hit him.
Im just saying, i dont think you would go back to the "old" days.... this way you have a chance to kill ppl

"every1 were running around in either black armor or that heavy trans with hourglass, mail mittens or W/E"

Yeah sure, show me the evidence for this backed statement. Making shit up isn't going to justifiy upkeep.

Offline ThisIsDro

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 01:04:03 pm »
Maybe a better sollusion would've been to make more difficulty for heavy armor. Maybe a new skill for armor? But that's too global...

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2012, 01:33:35 pm »
+1
I started playing a week ago and I was very upset about the repair costs once I was able to afford decent armor and weapons (You might have seen me complain about it on the forums), but now I understand it's importance. Like many of people have said in this thread, it keeps the high level players from wearing & using high-class armor and weapons forever. I think the 'random' chance of getting an item damaged should be slightly lowered, but other than that I like the repair system.

I'm a happy player now :mrgreen:

No old players have tons of gold that's why u see people like ujin gnjus dado ride around on their plated pony´s in high tier armor..

Still the same just a bigger gab between new players and vets..

The upkeep don't work because chadz didn't do a full reset or whipe when he implemented the system in the first place..

Also some players molested a bug where u didnt had to pay upkeep for the few first months when upkeep came around an i didnt get fixed until recently an their gold is still floating around somewhere...  :rolleyes:

If your wanted to you can sell 1 loom point at 31 an never care about upkeep again thats how much gold there is floating around on the market..

Upkeep dont work because we have the market place i dunno if this is a good thing or bad  :lol: idc im rich an have shitload of looms but its new players who pay the price everytime chadz increase the upkeep
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:44:10 pm by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Duckzern

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Slurchenburch
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Duckzern
  • IRC nick: Duckzern
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2012, 04:46:24 pm »
+1
Well..
I use the following gear:

• Banded Armor - 9747 gold
  • Nordic Helmet - 2478 gold
  • Mail Mittens - 1190 gold
  • Splinted Leather Greaves over Mail - 1817 gold
  • Danish Greatsword - 15922 Gold
  • Total - 31156 gold

And I still earn gold, Recently I reached 110k And I'm gen 1.

Sometimes I do put on my plate armor and walk around like a tank, until I get a bolt in the dick and lose 80% of my hp :C

I find the current repair costs fine as they are.
Butts

Offline Gabe

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2012, 07:10:48 am »
+1
I played crpg before repairs and i was completely amazing with my armor, but now with this repair system i have to pay 1000 gold per round i find this unfair and its leaving me piss poor.