Author Topic: Repair Costs?  (Read 9005 times)

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Repair Costs?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 12:09:11 pm »
Ok, i only know what i have seen in the phase without maintenance costs, hordes of tincans with top 2hand swords or poleaxes.
And now, well they still use the top tier weapons but i see a lot more medium armour around.

Offline Miriam

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boudica & Elissa
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 01:46:44 pm »
I think is related to how much time you stay "dead" too (as if you die in the round's start, you loose more thing than dieing later) , but i'm not sure.

Btw, i have about 3 "set" of gear: one cost around 10K and i use it when i'm in a map that my team can't seem to win. The other cost around 20k and is the one that i use normally, waiting to get a decent multiplier. For the last one i use the best gear that i bought, and i usually use it when i have x3 multiplier or highter.... using this 3 set i never loose money even if i keep loosing^^

Offline Quallen

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kill Cult
  • Game nicks: KC_Quallen
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 04:48:07 pm »
I made like 70k gold and bought Black Armor and Danish greatsword. I had like 20k ish gold left, thought it will be enough for repairs. Almost every single round i played both kept getting broken, repairs for 2500-2600 total.
… I know it is necessary to keep gold levels of high level players at a degree, to stop them getting insanely rich but a smarter way can be found for sure.
… Finally i saw people bragging about they have 600-700K gold do they seriously make that money while wearing end game gear with this repair system? Or just grind for days in peasant cloths or something?

There is no end game gear, that's the whole point.  This isn't wow where the game “begins” when you finally start getting geared.  Prior to upkeep thats exactly how it was and that's grindy garbage.

Over the long term upkeep treats everyone evenly and keeps people on average in mid range gear.  Nobody makes money in black armor and a top tier weapon so yes those people you see in it often are veterans with huge piles of money to burn through but that is what they're doing. They did not make that money in that armor under the current system.  Until you're rich yourself and can afford to throw money away you'll just have to be content with only throwing on super heavy armor to try and keep a 5x or maybe for getting revenge on someone.

If you want a game where time spent grinding = awesome then go elsewhere but if you still want to play a skill based game with some character development (and long term development in the form of heirlooms) and extreme customization then go buy yourself something in the Black Lamellar vest range (cheap but good enough to not get 1 hit all the time) and leather boots/gloves and whatever cheap helm and start making some money back.  The next step is buying some proper mid range armor that you can afford to upkeep longterm like Heraldic Mail with Tabard or Sarranid Guard armor but before you do this make sure you're sitting on ~30k so you can afford a bad luck streak with repairs (you can find the math for how much you can upkeep on the forums, for reference i use ~21k of gear and make money as well.) Then just keep focusing on getting better and enjoy. If you decide you want to make more money again don't be one of those naked lvl 30 morons,  drop back to the Black Lamellar level and maybe a longsword if you really want to rake it in but the most important thing in the game is improving as a player and its alot harded to do that while naked and dieing every time you make a single mistake.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:10:38 pm by Quallen »

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 09:08:45 pm »
I made like 70k gold and bought Black Armor and Danish greatsword. I had like 20k ish gold left, thought it will be enough for repairs. Almost every single round i played both kept getting broken, repairs for 2500-2600 total. By the time i had 3k gold left i just stoped using them.
It is very annoying seriously, and really dont want to log anymore after that much grinding for money buying them with 20k gold as back up i couldnt play more than 40-50 mins with them.
I know it is necessary to keep gold levels of high level players at a degree, to stop them getting insanely rich but a smarter way can be found for sure.

Considering even with 5x you get 2500 gold in 10 mins spending 2500-2600 gold in every round is overkill.

PS: Call it bad-luck or whatever but that is another problem than, It can be more stable
Finally i saw people bragging about they have 600-700K gold do they seriously make that money while wearing end game gear with this repair system? Or just grind for days in peasant cloths or something?

I guess you dont understand why this system is implemented.
It´s reason is to prevent people playing all the time with the best gear available.
=> You bought Black Armour and Danish Greatsword => You are using ultra highend-gear => system forces you to change back after some time.
Does it work? Yes. Just look at you.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 09:10:28 pm »
+1
Actually the repair system was introduced to prevend that everyone uses the best most expensive and not so imba equipment everytime.
Before it most a realistic part of the players wore heavy armour and high tier weapons. So the life of the new player was not easier back then.

Fixed. Upkeep just makes playing in heavy armors or a decent horse on regular basis impossible. With levels limited to 35 (and usually at 30 anyway) there's no way to be a "tincan 2h spammer" all those light armor enthusiasts keep talking about when asked the question "what's upkeep for ?".

Don't mix best and expensive.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 09:18:48 pm »
+1
Finally i saw people bragging about they have 600-700K gold do they seriously make that money while wearing end game gear with this repair system? Or just grind for days in peasant cloths or something?

It varies from person to person.

Some people are lying.

Some people have sold heirlooms.

Some people do grind with peasant gear/cheap gear often.

Some people are gods when it comes to luck, as well as enjoying banner stacking and selective fights (though that is the slow way to accumulate gold/level as you have to pick and choose a bit when and where to play for optimum results).

Some people (a lot of people really) either use a class that uses end-game stuff that is still cheap (like Archers), or are multi generation and from the time spent as being a peasant for several dozen gens (playing through level 1 to level 17-ish helps gold, now imagine this for several gens) and the time playing a class that does not use much gold, they have accumulated a lot of money.

In short: Yes it is possible to use your "best gear" and still make a lot of money, though some builds will never do this quickly.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 12:28:27 pm »
You just need to find a combination of equipment that's sustainable, and you will slowly make money over the long run.

I run ~38k worth of gear, and I have no problems breaking even at the end of a day or even ending positive.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 02:49:20 pm »
(..)
if you pick up someone else's gear, you might have to repair it as well! Last time I saw this was in January, so I can't say for sure its still in the game.
I'm not 100% sure, but i as far as i know: if you pick up equipment on the battlefield and drop it the same round, you'll never pay upkeep on it. Only when you start a new round with the looted equipment, do you get a 4% per minute (?) chance to have to pay repair costs on it.

Also, this:
There is no end game gear, that's the whole point.  This isn't wow where the game “begins” when you finally start getting geared.  Prior to upkeep thats exactly how it was and that's grindy garbage.

Over the long term upkeep treats everyone evenly and keeps people on average in mid range gear.  Nobody makes money in black armor and a top tier weapon so yes those people you see in it often are veterans with huge piles of money to burn through but that is what they're doing. They did not make that money in that armor under the current system.  Until you're rich yourself and can afford to throw money away you'll just have to be content with only throwing on super heavy armor to try and keep a 5x or maybe for getting revenge on someone.

If you want a game where time spent grinding = awesome then go elsewhere but if you still want to play a skill based game with some character development (and long term development in the form of heirlooms) and extreme customization then go buy yourself something in the Black Lamellar vest range (cheap but good enough to not get 1 hit all the time) and leather boots/gloves and whatever cheap helm and start making some money back.  The next step is buying some proper mid range armor that you can afford to upkeep longterm like Heraldic Mail with Tabard or Sarranid Guard armor but before you do this make sure you're sitting on ~30k so you can afford a bad luck streak with repairs (you can find the math for how much you can upkeep on the forums, for reference i use ~21k of gear and make money as well.) Then just keep focusing on getting better and enjoy. If you decide you want to make more money again don't be one of those naked lvl 30 morons,  drop back to the Black Lamellar level and maybe a longsword if you really want to rake it in but the most important thing in the game is improving as a player and its alot harded to do that while naked and dieing every time you make a single mistake.
Great post. This guy figured out how cRPG works nowadays. Spend your money in the lower and medium tier first. Did you not notice the insane prices on black armor?!
I can't believe people still fall for the old 'I'M GONNA BUY BLACK ARMOR AND PWN EVERYONE HERP DERP DERP" trap.  :wink:

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 05:34:01 pm »
+1
I've had to pay repairs for weapons I picked up that have no relation to anything else I own...

This means that two players can pay repair costs for the same item. This needs to be fixed imo. Players should only pay for the stuff they bring.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 06:16:11 pm »
+1
Actually the repair system was introduced to prevend that everyone uses the best equipment everytime.
Before it most of the players wore heavy armour and high tier weapons. So the life of the new player was not easier back then.

Yeah the days of me wearing black armour all the time and trying to retire to get the maximum body armour of (84?) are over.

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 08:16:48 pm »
Yeah the days of me wearing black armour all the time and trying to retire to get the maximum body armour of (84?) are over.

86 now. 60 (Black Armor) + 7 (Lordly Heirloom) + 12 (Heavy Gauntlets) + 7 (Lordly Heirloom)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Rovenarc

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 11:17:43 am »
86 now. 60 (Black Armor) + 7 (Lordly Heirloom) + 12 (Heavy Gauntlets) + 7 (Lordly Heirloom)

Actually 85 - Lordly Black Armor = 66 not 67 (goes as 60->62->64->66)

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 04:56:58 pm »
Upkeep is one of the most brilliant things of this game. Do not compare it to an MMO.

Pretty much no one wanted everyone to run around in plate armor and high tier stuff. People are forced to prioritize.

In MMO's there are either constant development or "end game" stuff.

In cRPG there is no end game. You make so much gold that you can wear every kind of equipment withing a week or so.
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline LAL_Portrica

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Legion Australia
  • Game nicks: LGN_Kracker
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 11:35:21 am »
i hate upkeep, its VERY unfair. I had gear around 5k (was a peasant), getting about 2 kills a round and still paying double upkeep... :/

i reckon, they should remove Upkeep or just lower the price...

Offline Vingnir the Wanderer

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Snowhawk
  • Game nicks: Ving
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 01:34:04 pm »
I dunno why no one mentions:  :rolleyes:

Its supposed to also give you something to fight for with your side - the multiplyer - if you make all your effort on teamwork and winning the round, rather than your KD and what armor/weapon you can buy next, you can keep wearing whatever you want with your sides multiplyer up...

So figure out how better to win rounds and contribute to that better, and you can use whatever you want, with your multiplyer money offsetting the repair costs. - or alot closer to it atleast.  -If your team is a bunch of scrubs and you dont have enough guildies handy to hold the fort, just go to a different server. I dunno why people hang out when half their team is running around playing grab-ass or punching each other while someones ninjaing the flag  :shock:, theres plenty of servers out there. -I mean, I enjoy the high pop servers like everyone else, but I can usually find something big enough to do.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:47:58 pm by Vingnir the Wanderer »