Poll

Which of the following most expresses what you think...

I like the possibilities.
104 (41.6%)
I don't think this can be good for the mod.
110 (44%)
How about a different approach.
36 (14.4%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Author Topic: New Mechanic: Dodge  (Read 9202 times)

Offline jtobiasm

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Tobi
Re: New Mechanic: Dodge
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2013, 09:40:59 am »
Because what people think to be badly needed balancing fixes is just their own lobby-twisted view demanding buffs for themselves and nerfs for the others. The mod is pretty balanced from my point of view and I'll make new stuff 'cause it's fun (for me) and eventually add it if the rest of the devs agree.
If this was true, i'd be asking for an archery buff. I personally don't even see why you buffed bows. but  seen as though I have a lobby twisted view  "why the funk didn't you nerf sheilds they block arrows wtf".

Yet on a serious note, 2hers can lol stab faster than I can swing a pickaxe and 1h cav can swing through their horse. Yeah its balanced and nothing needs changing.

p.s the point system is balanced, I can go a whole round as a shielder and not even swing yet I get valour. Yet as an archer I can get 7 kills in one round and get 20 points.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:45:32 am by jtobiasm »

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2013, 09:43:54 am »
+3
Why don't you stop thinking about adding things and finish off balancing the mod?

CRPG (and every other game that gets patched regularly) is in a constant state of change. It will never be fully balanced. Even if it did, that would spell the end of the game. Everything is equal! No more patches except to add new things once a year or less!

The constantly changing balance and "flavor of the month" builds keep me coming back to CRPG. If it was the same everything I logged in, I would have given up long ago.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2013, 09:56:13 am »
Why not just crouching like in Napoleonic Mod ? It's good against archers or lance cav. It could be good for archers too (on a roof etc.)

I like the side jump to avoid cav bumping but not the roll on the ground.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2013, 10:01:24 am »
+6
I'd be tempted to say just leave the core mechanics alone at this point. You should just make your own separate Rageball mod with all the gamey Unreal Tournament dodges, dives, nudges that you want.

I've never actually not wanted someone to develop for cRPG, but I just think this is leading us down a road we would be best off avoiding. We can't even talk balance without us being "lobbyists"
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2013, 10:04:40 am »
+5
Because you possess an uncanny combination of selective recognition, frenetic ignorance and believe in the significance of anecdotal evidence.

Because what people think to be badly needed balancing fixes is just their own lobby-twisted view demanding buffs for themselves and nerfs for the others.

etc, etc

If Urist/Paul was a Forgotten Realms character Charisma would be his highest attribute.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2013, 10:07:18 am »
I think the only roll a real fighter would perform is the first one, where he has already been knocked down and has to move away as fast as possible.

Also those quick sidesteps seem okay to me, since they are also realistic.

But that roll from the stand would be ridiculous, and no real fighter would ever do that in combat. So I'd vote yes, yes and no.

I don't want to judge the gameplay aspect in this case, since I am not really a good fighter and thus better keep my mouth shut.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Chasey

• Tournament Champion
  • Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Chase
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2013, 10:15:59 am »
+5
http://forum.meleegaming.com/announcements/crpg-status-and-plans/

Would prefer if 2 and 3 were focused on personally
I like to fart on cold windows and lick the condensation :D

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2013, 10:33:01 am »
Because what people think to be badly needed balancing fixes is just their own lobby-twisted view demanding buffs for themselves and nerfs for the others. The mod is pretty balanced from my point of view and I'll make new stuff 'cause it's fun (for me) and eventually add it if the rest of the cRPG devs agree. If it doesn't work out it gets removed. Why not test mechanics in cRPG and give the Melee devs an idea if there is any point of implementing it into their game or not?

but 2h op:(
nerf 2h  plz

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2013, 11:27:56 am »
Any news about new wpf curve?

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2013, 11:47:13 am »
+4
No offense but the whole idea of dodges sounds lame as fuck, you're just going to see a ton of guys bouncing all over the place, making melee even lamer. Plus I thought we already had dodging implemented, it's called decent footwork, you can dodge with it.

EDIT: Oh yeah before you start adding more features could you make the Nudge key rebindable first so I can actually use it? thanks.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 12:06:34 pm by Leesin »

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2013, 12:32:09 pm »
Bring it on!

The whole thing needs to get a nice balance, though. Nudging with high str results in heavier knockbacks or even knockdowns, while the ability to dodge with high str-chars is very limited. Heavy armour such as heraldic transitional or basically anything that has much plate in it and weighs a ton shouldn't be allowed to do the big nudges at all (Although rolling on the floor should still work, seems reasonable to me) or just have a version where the jump is simply a little further step in the direction than the normal wasd-keys would provide. While doing that, i think those armours would need a buff to compensate not being able to dodge as good with them.
On the other hand agi chars should stay with the weak nudge they have right now, which simply stuns a little, but then have the possibility to nudge more often. For dodging they could max out the animation with a certain amount of athletics and be able to use it more often than the str-builds. Of course, they shouldn't be allowed to roll and jump around on the field every other second, reducing the timer should only be like 1 or 1.5 seconds max. Would still make a difference, though.

I'd say think about this very thoroughly and then give us them goodies. Anything that is being added into the game is a little step forward to even more dynamic and fun fights.

Also, the new knockdown would be very welcome. Getting knocked down, getting hit on the ground and then getting knocked down AGAIN happens way too often. Especially with 1h blunt.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2013, 12:49:03 pm »
+1
Definitely need a stamina bar if all these moves are introduced, with weight of armour limiting how many moves you can perform. Agile, low armoured characters should be able to perform more moves than guys in plate.

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2013, 12:57:24 pm »
+2
I would only support the following at most and preferably just the first and last

1/2 meter "hop" - just enough to avoid an attack, kick or nudge.  1 1/2 - 2m is far too much imo.

Roll - if you happened to press the "hop" button, in the right direction (anywhere away from the swing), whilst being hit then you will roll away instead of hopping.  You still take some damage though so its only really useful as an escape mechanism.  On knockdown hits there can be a slightly extended window to roll.

Cooldowns based on armour - the heavier your armour, the longer the cooldown.

Changed my mind.

I would only support the following

SHORT HOP - double tap a direction to hop 1/2m in a certain direction.  The animation would be the same length as if you walked normally so it is only a gain in speed of getting to a point and not a gain in overall traveling.  Cooldown would be on the nudge/kick cycle.

ALTERED KNOCKDOWN - Any weapon should be able to knockdown but knockdown should be based on the amount of damaged soaked by a players armour with this amount being adjusted according to hit location, weapon weight and damage type (bonus for hits to the head/legs, for heavier weapons and for blunt damage).  This means lighter weapons will knockdown less due to lower base damage/weight and lightly armed opponents will get knocked down less due to taking more actual damage.  This leaves knockdown as something to take down tin cans instead.

GUARANTEED KNOCKDOWN - If hit in the legs whilst in the air after jumping or hopping.  Time these things wrong and you'll end up on the floor.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 01:28:43 pm by Tomas »

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2013, 01:00:30 pm »
i really like the rolling idea after knockdown, the others not somuch,  things will get to messy i think, and collision might also form an issue specially in team fighting. good initiative thow

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2013, 01:08:54 pm »
Bring it on!

The whole thing needs to get a nice balance, though. Nudging with high str results in heavier knockbacks or even knockdowns, while the ability to dodge with high str-chars is very limited. Heavy armour such as heraldic transitional or basically anything that has much plate in it and weighs a ton shouldn't be allowed to do the big nudges at all (Although rolling on the floor should still work, seems reasonable to me) or just have a version where the jump is simply a little further step in the direction than the normal wasd-keys would provide. While doing that, i think those armours would need a buff to compensate not being able to dodge as good with them.
On the other hand agi chars should stay with the weak nudge they have right now, which simply stuns a little, but then have the possibility to nudge more often. For dodging they could max out the animation with a certain amount of athletics and be able to use it more often than the str-builds. Of course, they shouldn't be allowed to roll and jump around on the field every other second, reducing the timer should only be like 1 or 1.5 seconds max. Would still make a difference, though.

I'd say think about this very thoroughly and then give us them goodies. Anything that is being added into the game is a little step forward to even more dynamic and fun fights.

Also, the new knockdown would be very welcome. Getting knocked down, getting hit on the ground and then getting knocked down AGAIN happens way too often. Especially with 1h blunt.

plate armors are not heavier than chainmail armour at last not that much if at all but that depends on what armours we want compare
also plate armors were extremyl good designed and provided good movement abilities.
but your version sounds more balanced

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?