Author Topic: Ryse. What the actual fuck?  (Read 9688 times)

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
Re: Ryse. What the actual fuck?
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2013, 11:11:51 am »
Americans are the Englishmen who got sent off to the new world for being expendable, extremist religious nutbags.

Fixed.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2013, 02:59:28 pm »
The Patriot was a really shitty piece of ahistorical shit, amazing how they can take some war and just shit all over it and call it a movie, just like pretty much any movie Mel Gibson would act in

Hey hey now, the final scene where Mel fights (literally) using american flag was really hilarious, would watch again.

Also, who would they be attacking I am wondering. I don't know much Roman History, but I thought the "barbarian" tribes were using wood forts. Those axe guys also don't look too Greek / Carthaginian... but then again I didn't look too closely.

This is a fantasy setting. Noone cares. I'm dissapoint, sort of, by not seeing double-bitted axes in there.
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2013, 03:15:01 pm »
This is a fantasy setting. Noone cares. I'm dissapoint, sort of, by not seeing double-bitted axes in there.

Roman era is a fantasy setting? Tell me more.

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2013, 03:35:55 pm »
It's not Roman era. This is a fantasy setting vaguely based on Roman era.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2013, 04:50:57 pm »
+1
Ryse: Son of Rome is a stunning action-adventure that follows Marius Titus on a heroic quest to avenge the death of his family, and preserve the honor of Rome, at all costs.

Ryse: Son of Rome tells the story of Marius Titus, a young Roman soldier who witnesses the murder of his family at the hands of barbarian bandits, then travels with the Roman army to Britannia to seek revenge. Quickly rising through the ranks, Marius must become a leader of men and defender of the Empire on his quest to exact vengeance - a destiny he soon discovers can only be fulfilled much closer to home.

There's No Place Like Rome
Ryse: Son of Rome presents a cinematic recreation of the Roman Empire in breathtaking detail, from the northern reaches of Britannia, to the Coliseum and the very heart of Rome itself.
Stunning visuals bring every aspect of the Empire to life: Incredibly detailed facial animations add character to the people you encounter, and new CryENGINE features allow for a world unlike anything you've seen on console before.

Action, adventure and Brutal Realism:

Experience a cinematic adventure that leads you deep into the dramatic world of the Roman Empire. The brutality and intensity of Roman warfare are brought to life in visceral detail, thrusting the player into the chaos of close-quarters combat. See and feel the emotion on your opponent's face! Players have to master sophisticated sword and shield combat techniques to vary attacks and manage multiple enemies, and then finish foes with one of over a hundred brutal final executions.

Of course it's a bunch of of marketing bullshit, but I don't see the word "fantasy" or "vaguely based on the Roman era" in there.

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2013, 05:29:56 pm »
Are you one of those people that think 300 isn't fantasy either because it has Spartans and they didn't ad it as fantasy?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2013, 05:52:54 pm »
Are you one of those people that think 300 isn't fantasy either because it has Spartans and they didn't ad it as fantasy?

Pretty much the same way 300 turned Spartans into macho American parodies, crying about freedom and liberty and fighting against tyranny, when they were actually some of the most disgusting slavers and eugenicists of the ancient world.

sounds like he thinks it's fantasy to me
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2013, 06:00:10 pm »
Considering the average person's knowledge of history, I have no doubt that the only information about Spartans and the Battle of Thermopylae a lot of people have was gleaned from the movie, yes.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2013, 06:04:41 pm »

He was talking about Ryse. We derailed this much that 300 and the game got mixed up in the process I fear. 300 is fantasy. It has a giant ogre for gods sake. I think thats a discussionender right there... Ryse, is just some random made up guys personal tale. Atleast thats what I make of it from the description.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2013, 06:09:50 pm »
+1
I think I already had this discussion on this forum before, but look up Frank Miller and his retarded neo-con political leanings, might maybe explain the purpose and origin of the so-called totally not serious comic book. Gee, brave occidental warriors standing for freedom and liberty fighting against evil easterners, released in the middle of the War on Terror? Yeah bro, I'm sure it was just entertainment with no ulterior motive behind it whatsoever, and Miller's personal philosophy did not influence the take of the story at all.

edit: After a quick google, an excerpt from an NPR interview:

NPR: […] Frank, what’s the state of the union?

FM: Well, I don’t really find myself worrying about the state of the union as I do the state of the home-front. It seems to me quite obvious that our country and the entire Western World is up against an existential foe that knows exactly what it wants … and we’re behaving like a collapsing empire. Mighty cultures are almost never conquered, they crumble from within. And frankly, I think that a lot of Americans are acting like spoiled brats because of everything that isn’t working out perfectly every time.

NPR: Um, and when you say we don’t know what we want, what’s the cause of that do you think?

FM: Well, I think part of that is how we’re educated. We’re constantly told all cultures are equal, and every belief system is as good as the next. And generally that America was to be known for its flaws rather than its virtues. When you think about what Americans accomplished, building these amazing cities, and all the good its done in the world, it’s kind of disheartening to hear so much hatred of America, not just from abroad, but internally.

NPR: A lot of people would say what America has done abroad has led to the doubts and even the hatred of its own citizens.

FM: Well, okay, then let’s finally talk about the enemy. For some reason, nobody seems to be talking about who we’re up against, and the sixth century barbarism that they actually represent. These people saw people’s heads off. They enslave women, they genitally mutilate their daughters, they do not behave by any cultural norms that are sensible to us. I’m speaking into a microphone that never could have been a product of their culture, and I’m living in a city where three thousand of my neighbors were killed by thieves of airplanes they never could have built.

NPR: As you look at people around you, though, why do you think they’re so, as you would put it, self-absorbed, even whiny?

FM: Well, I’d say it’s for the same reason the Athenians and Romans were. We’ve got it a little good right now. Where I would fault President Bush the most, was that in the wake of 9/11, he motivated our military, but he didn’t call the nation into a state of war. He didn’t explain that this would take a communal effort against a common foe. So we’ve been kind of fighting a war on the side, and sitting off like a bunch of Romans complaining about it. Also, I think that George Bush has an uncanny knack of being someone people hate. I thought Clinton inspired more hatred than any President I had ever seen, but I’ve never seen anything like Bush-hatred. It’s completely mad.

NPR: And as you talk to people in the streets, the people you meet at work, socially, how do you explain this to them?

FM: Mainly in historical terms, mainly saying that the country that fought Okinawa and Iwo Jima is now spilling precious blood, but so little by comparison, it’s almost ridiculous. And the stakes are as high as they were then. Mostly I hear people say, ‘Why did we attack Iraq?’ for instance. Well, we’re taking on an idea. Nobody questions why after Pearl Harbor we attacked chocolate chip cookie Germany. It was because we were taking on a form of global fascism, we’re doing the same thing now.

NPR: Well, they did declare war on us, but…

FM: Well, so did Iraq.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:15:14 pm by Oberyn »

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2013, 06:46:28 pm »
I highly doubt this man himself belives this brainwashed nonsense he said to the interviewer. Im pretty sure it was just a lame way of getting more idiotic patriots on his side or making sure that hillbillies werent gonna use his pictures as targetpractice. Ofcourse this is a totally different continent we are talking about...so....

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2013, 06:53:11 pm »
+1
Of course he believes it. He's an objectivist Randian nutbag. They are a dime a dozen in the US. "Libertarians", although that encompasses a wide spectrum, this shitbag falls somewhere in the extreme. It's not exactly hard to see how these beliefs informed his..."interpretation" of the Battle of Thermopylae.

Offline Lars

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2013, 09:00:58 pm »
All those spinning attacks look like this
(click to show/hide)

Spin more, please.

"they were actually some of the most disgusting slavers and eugenicists of the ancient world. Fascist social darwinians before the words ever existed."

But Spartans r cool, their abs and pectorals are their armor, and they can AU!AU!AU!

(click to show/hide)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2013, 01:52:54 am »
+1
What nobody knows is that Spartans are actually an insect race that burrow into the brains of humans in order to control them. Oh, and they are neither christians nor muslims, they are buddhists.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2013, 01:37:31 pm »
+2
Of course he believes it. He's an objectivist Randian nutbag. They are a dime a dozen in the US. "Libertarians", although that encompasses a wide spectrum, this shitbag falls somewhere in the extreme. It's not exactly hard to see how these beliefs informed his..."interpretation" of the Battle of Thermopylae.

His interpretation of themorpylae has much more to do with neo-conservatism than objectivism. Neocons that claim to be objectivists didn't understand a thing.