Author Topic: New PC help  (Read 4122 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2642
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: New PC help
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 04:46:50 pm »
+2
(click to show/hide)

Why not tell him to get this instead while you are it. I doubt the guy needs a blasted 2000$ PC to hit the ultra settings border

You're right, maybe it's better to wait a year or two to replace GPU. But I don't understand why that pricey motherboard. They are meant for OC competitions and to look pretty but there's really no need for it.

ASrock is way cheaper. It's not big name like Asus but many people don't know that ASrock was part of Asus once, now they are trying to buy them back.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2726
  • Infamy: 1856
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 04:53:49 pm »
+1
Maybe it's because I use my gaming pc to run simulations and stuff but I have a 2500K OC'ed to 4.2GHz and an old HD4870 and I'm still frequently CPU bound in games. IMO it's a much better idea to oversize your processor over the GPU. First reason because GPUs are very easy to replace anyway, and will die sooner if you push them too hard.

Maybe you're playing in games in 1280x720 or some low resolution like that? Or you like low settings? Intel i5 2500K is more than enough for Radeon 4870. At 4.2 GHz is enough for any single GPU. Only dual GPUs need stronger CPU.

I have replaced somewhere around 50 components (used to change my configuration every year, but not doing that anymore) and only one died, ancient ABIT BH7. Newegg comments are full of people complaining how some part died after few days, but those were probably defective when they left the factory or damaged during transport. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:58:04 pm by Leshma »

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 05:24:06 pm »
Dude you should totally think about this case, very sexy, great cooling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147158

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 05:29:12 pm »
+1
You're right, maybe it's better to wait a year or two to replace GPU. But I don't understand why that pricey motherboard. They are meant for OC competitions and to look pretty but there's really no need for it.

ASrock is way cheaper. It's not big name like Asus but many people don't know that ASrock was part of Asus once, now they are trying to buy them back.

I second getting an ASrock, or a simpler ASUS motherboard.

No need for that stuff.

Also I'd really like to upgrade my setup but the motherboard is a freaking LGA775, and I can't upgrade at all with this piece of crap.

Being stuck sucks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • Renown: 685
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
  • All I do is shitpost anymore in this game.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tom_Cruise_Dota_Fanatic
  • IRC nick: Tom_Cruise
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 08:02:29 pm »
Ok well being Im not an expert on this stuff I have a few questions/comments

1. What is SSD?

Dude you should totally think about this case, very sexy, great cooling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147158

2.Will this be big enough to hold everything so its not a tight fit?

So the main reason my current pc cant handle some top tier games (I used rome 2 as the example I was upgrading for) is because of my processor(s). When I play a game like Shogun 2, I play on pretty much max settings (turn off useless stuff like sky detail and shit). But the problem is when I get large scale battles I get some lag, because there are so many different animations on the screen going on at once. I run pretty much all games on high settings and have no problems. So back to more questions.

3. With the current stuff I have now I have never had  a problem overheating or with cooling, so why would I need to get a cooler?

4. I only use this for daily life things like email, youtube, etc etc. and games. No fancy simulations or software on here like recordings that take up a bunch of space and yadayadayada. So why some of these upgrades that cost a shit ton of money?

I forgot to add that Im trying to keep it under $1000 USD. Trying to keep it in the range of 700 or 800.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 08:59:39 pm »
1. What is SSD?
I have an SSD too. In short: Its basically an harddrive. Only it runs in supersonic speeds compared to your regular harddrives. But its alot more costly. Less GBs too(those with alot of GBs cost assloads) But what I did was install Windows on my SSD and store all my games and shit on the regular harddrive.

But there is one thing the people above me did forget to mention. SSD has a way more shorter lifespan than your average harddrive. Only those not available to an average costumer are longer lasting ones. But its well worth it. SSD is really sweet stuff.

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • Renown: 586
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Duke
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 09:00:30 pm »
+1
Alright, I'll try to answer as best as I can:

SSD - Otherwise known as Solid State Drive. It is basically the new form of drive. In short, compared to other common forms of storing data: optical drives were made by a stylus burning the disk through a monochromatic ray of X wavelength (the shorter the wavelength the higher capacity of the disk). Magnetic drives rotate and access information stored through magnetism. SSD has nothing of that, it uses some kind of chips and memory to store data persistently (I'm not pretty sure how these work exactly though). The thing is, these disks make no noise since they don't rotate like magnetic disks, and they work a lot faster than any other consumer form of storage.

The case - That case definitely looks like a gamer one. It is a full tower - I wouldn't be worried if I were you; there are tons of other cases out there if that doesn't convince you however.

The cooler - Intel's processors are famous for two things: For being really nice, and for bringing terrible coolers together with them. If you are getting a processor with a high TDP (A core i7k is a good example) I suggest buying a good cooler for the processor and motherboard, otherwise it'll just get fried like a potato. Cooler Master and Antec are good firms for that.

Software - Games are not really daily life. Hardcore gaming such as Crysis 3 at ultra settings is one way of stressing your hardware to its limits. If you were only to search the web, you wouldn't need any specific cooler aside from the default one. But then again you wouldn't need a 300€ Core I7 either.

EDIT:

I'd suggest just getting an overall cheaper PC. You are not going to squeeze all the potential out of that, as many more with super beasts pc. I mean, I enjoy a game at high or high-very high settings, even at medium-high. Ultra is just for the enthusiasts and barely improves the texture quality - it just tweaks some pixel shading, and handle illumination more carefully. All that at a cost of another 15 fps less.

For gaming, just gaming (no enthusiast nerding) I'd rather recommend something around this:

- Core i5 3570. More than enough to handle anything you can throw at it. Unless you mount 5 virtual machines and run a Metro 2033 test on each simultaneously while encrypting files to 256k and predicting next week's climate on your local townshall.

-An AsRock motherboard is pretty good, as Leshma said. Get one of those between 70-100€ with a couple of USB 3.0 and PCI 3.0.

- 8 GB RAM. Not really necessary, but to avoid a future upgrade. It is nowadays near to becoming the standarised RAM value.

- The graphic card you posted is really nice. You won't have any problems with that. I say go with that one.

- The case must be a full tower, so you don't have to worry about size as you said earlier. There are tons of them out there, look for a quality one like Antec, Cooler Master, Thermaltake etc.

- Get an SSD so you don't need to upgrade later on. If you can't afford one, make sure the magnetic disk is 7200 rpm though.

- PSUs are important stuff. If you don't know much about them or how they work, make sure they have some of those 80 plus bronze or silver ratings. Generally ensures reliability.

- Don't forget the dvd reader or blu ray if you are willing to waste more money, people tend to, and it comes in handy!!

Overall it shouldn't get above 800€

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:15:01 pm by Lannistark »

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 09:12:14 pm »
Alright, I'll try to answer as best as I can:

SSD - Otherwise known as Solid State Drive. It is basically the new form of drive. In short, compared to other common forms of storing data: optical drives were made by a stylus burning the disk through a monochromatic ray of X wavelength (the shorter the wavelength the higher capacity of the disk). Magnetic drives rotate and access information stored through magnetism. SSD has nothing of that, it uses some kind of chips and memory to store data persistently (I'm not pretty sure how these work exactly though). The thing is, these disks make no noise since they don't rotate like magnetic disks, and they work a lot faster than any other consumer form of storage.

The case - That case definitely looks like a gamer one. It is a full tower - I wouldn't be worried if I were you; there are tons of other cases out there if that doesn't convince you however.

The cooler - Intel's processors are famous for two things: For being really nice, and for bringing terrible coolers together with them. If you are getting a processor with a high TDP (A core i7k is a good example) I suggest buying a good cooler for the processor and motherboard, otherwise it'll just get fried like a potato. Cooler Master and Antec are good firms for that.

Software - Games are not really daily life. Hardcore gaming such as Crysis 3 at ultra settings is one way of stressing your hardware to its limits. If you were only to search the web, you wouldn't need any specific cooler aside from the default one. But then again you wouldn't need a 300€ Core I7 either.

K well screw ssd. Too much money.

The cooler, do I really need it? I get good cooling from the fans on the hardware as it is, then if I get this new case with added fans wont that cover every heat need?

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • Renown: 586
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Duke
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 09:16:29 pm »
The processor cooler is different from the case's. Perhaps you have water cooling and whatever bullshit that ensures all components are fresh, but if your processor cooling is weak, the processor will get too overheated.

Please see my edit post above, there is no need to buy another cooler if you don't go with the ultra fast beast processor.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 09:17:35 pm »
Ahh you have no idea what you missing man. SSD is like the baws. I mean like ultraspeeds while doing shit around the PC. It makes your PC way more faster. Without it, you are definately not using its full potential nomatter how much other hardware you stick in it. Its costly yes, but its worth it. Speaking from personal experience.

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 09:34:56 pm »

EDIT:

I'd suggest just getting an overall cheaper PC. You are not going to squeeze all the potential out of that, as many more with super beasts pc. I mean, I enjoy a game at high or high-very high settings, even at medium-high. Ultra is just for the enthusiasts and barely improves the texture quality - it just tweaks some pixel shading, and handle illumination more carefully. All that at a cost of another 15 fps less.

For gaming, just gaming (no enthusiast nerding) I'd rather recommend something around this:

- Core i5 3570. More than enough to handle anything you can throw at it. Unless you mount 5 virtual machines and run a Metro 2033 test on each simultaneously while encrypting files to 256k and predicting next week's climate on your local townshall.

-An AsRock motherboard is pretty good, as Leshma said. Get one of those between 70-100€ with a couple of USB 3.0 and PCI 3.0.

- 8 GB RAM. Not really necessary, but to avoid a future upgrade. It is nowadays near to becoming the standarised RAM value.

- The graphic card you posted is really nice. You won't have any problems with that. I say go with that one.

- The case must be a full tower, so you don't have to worry about size as you said earlier. There are tons of them out there, look for a quality one like Antec, Cooler Master, Thermaltake etc.

- Get an SSD so you don't need to upgrade later on. If you can't afford one, make sure the magnetic disk is 7200 rpm though.

- PSUs are important stuff. If you don't know much about them or how they work, make sure they have some of those 80 plus bronze or silver ratings. Generally ensures reliability.

- Don't forget the dvd reader or blu ray if you are willing to waste more money, people tend to, and it comes in handy!!

Overall it shouldn't get above 800€

Like I said. Im not an expert. Im gunna need specific parts and then I just put it together. So everything you just told me to get. Im not gunna be able to find good ones, like ssd, or PSU, motherboard, and cooler. Cause Im useless.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 10:11:58 pm »
Like I said. Im not an expert. Im gunna need specific parts and then I just put it together. So everything you just told me to get. Im not gunna be able to find good ones, like ssd, or PSU, motherboard, and cooler. Cause Im useless.

Use google?

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1160
  • Infamy: 1607
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 12:13:10 am »
+2
K well screw ssd. Too much money.

Not really. Basically, SSD is a giant flash drive in form of a hard drive which you use as your system disk. Major advantage is that SSD doesn't have moving parts which results in much faster access to everything on your PC.

PC is a combination of components and its speed largely depends on its slowest part which is Hard Disk Drive. By exchanging HDD for SSD you're removing biggest bottleneck in your system and EVERYTHING will run much faster. PC will boot up faster, explorer and desktop will be way more responsive and games will load a lot faster.

You can get 120GB drive along regular HDD for about 100$ to try it out. But if you don't need more than 250GB I would recommend to just get an SSD, without HDD.

You can easily get an SSD if you choose less expensive Mobo. Better Mobo is all about marketing, no real advantages. On the other hand, you will feel huge change with SSD.

If you want to use SSD with HDD choose this one: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-120GB-internal-Solid-MZ-7TD120BW/dp/B009NHAF06/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371161470&sr=1-1&keywords=Samsung+840+128

If you don't need more than 250GB just take this SSD: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MZ-7TD250BW-Solid-State-2-5-Inch/dp/B009NHAEXE/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371161470&sr=1-5&keywords=Samsung+840+128

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 516
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 12:19:31 am »
+1
2.Will this be big enough to hold everything so its not a tight fit?

Your case is midi tower, case I recommended and case he recommended are both full tower cases. In other words, those are quite big. You can fit an elephant in there.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 12:20:52 am »
PC will boot up faster, explorer and desktop will be way more responsive and games will load a lot faster.

Pretty much sums up why SSD are overrated for gaming. You care about performance, not loading times, and having a SSD does nothing in that regard for the vast majority of games (haven't seen an I/O bound game in quite a while).