Author Topic: New PC help  (Read 4110 times)

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • Renown: 685
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
  • All I do is shitpost anymore in this game.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tom_Cruise_Dota_Fanatic
  • IRC nick: Tom_Cruise
New PC help
« on: June 13, 2013, 07:54:03 am »
So Im building a new pc. Because I just need to upgrade in general for things like college and stuff. But lets be honest here. With games like Rome 2and other various games coming out, its like rough anal sex without any lube on a tight butthole (my pc) and too big of a cock (rome 2).

So this is what Im looking into:

Case/tower (updated thanks to jarold)
Motherboard

Hard Drive

Processors

Also Im bringing over from my current pc 8GB of RAM, my optical drive, graphics card, and power supply

graphics card

power supply

Soooooo will this prepare me for the shitstorm of games coming out?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:54:53 am by mmason94 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
Re: New PC help
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 08:31:06 am »
+1
Prepare? Bitch please that beast will be enough for ages to come. My 6 year old desktop with barely upgraded videocard runs everything on high. Games these days dont need much to run.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:11:03 am »
+1
Man that thing will last for many, many years for now.

Unless we see another technological BANG like with the dual core processors back in the day.

But just look at the capabilities of the "next-gen" consoles, most of the games will be developed for those anyway, so that's more than fine.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:14:42 am by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 01:44:26 pm »
+3
- Get a SSD, really
- Find a replacement for the standard Intel ventirad
- Don't forget to OC your processor after this
- Maybe get a gold rating PSU, your hardware is pricy

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • Renown: 586
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Duke
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 01:49:54 pm »
+1
Yeah, get an SSD Drive, you are pretty much wasting your processor and memory's potential with an optical disk. Also, as Kafein said, get a decent psu that swiftly runs that monster processor and graphic card - the one shown right there seems okay though.

It is overall a fucking beast pc for sure.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 01:52:00 pm »
Yeah, get an SSD Drive, you are pretty much wasting your processor and memory's potential with an optical disk. Also, as Kafein said, get a decent psu that swiftly runs that monster processor and graphic card.

A Corsair 650 bronze is enough for normal use, but if this PC is for 24/7 video encoding in a room with -20 to 45 degrees, get a better one.

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 01:56:30 pm »
+1
The PSU is pretty good. There is no need for a better one. Avoid obsessed gamer and so called "gaming expert" comments. They'd think a PC only runs fine on a modular 1500W psu with golden shiny ratings covering the entire fucking case.

The truth is, with some tweaking, I run a 4-core, Intel Core I5, 4gb ram, and and HD 6670 with a 300W PSU. I haven't had a single problem yet. It is all about knowing your physics and how the Power Supply works. Most firms just want to confuse you by reccommending PSUs of 500W minimum for a Graphics that barely reaches the 50W at TDP. Wattage is a lie actually, you just need to look at the Amperage on each 12V Rail, since the others rails are irrelevant but still get added to the total wattage.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 02:01:12 pm »
+1
The PSU is pretty good. There is no need for a better one. Avoid obsessed gamer and so called "gaming expert" comments. They'd think a PC only runs fine on a modular 1500W psu with golden shiny ratings covering the entire fucking case.

The truth is, with some tweaking, I run a 4-core, Intel Core I5, 4gb ram, and and HD 6670 with a 300W PSU. I haven't had a single problem yet. It is all about knowing your physics and how the Power Supply works. Most firms just want to confuse you by reccommending PSUs of 500W minimum for a Graphics that barely reaches the 50W at TDP. Wattage is a lie actually, you just need to look at the Amperage on each 12V Rail, since the others rails are irrelevant but still get added to the total wattage.

Actually the gold/silver/bronze rating things are meaningful, but you are absolutely right about the Wattage part, on no-name cheap PSUs anyway. Good brands rarely try to fuck you over.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 03:01:57 pm »
awesome mobo!

imo, you should get SSD instead, personally i have my eyes on the 128gb Plextor M5S http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/m5s-256gb-ssd-benchmark,3252-4.html

also you should consider passive cooling http://www.zalman.co.kr/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=183

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 03:03:26 pm »

however, you spend more electricity using a low watt PSU. when i upgraded my 400W to a 800W my bill dropped 20-30% (no shit)

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 03:04:25 pm »
- Get a SSD, really
- Find a replacement for the standard Intel ventirad
- Don't forget to OC your processor after this
- Maybe get a gold rating PSU, your hardware is pricy

OC? come on lol OC is so last decade :)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 2863
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 03:09:48 pm »
+1
Case is fugly, get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352029

What's with people and those shiny gamer cases...

PSU: 1 2 3 4 (take yer pick)

SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147193

Btw. your CPU is an overkill for that GPU. Get Radeon 7950 or something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125462. It's much more costly but if you wanna game get a proper GPU.

Edit: Also forget about that fancy overpriced Mobo from Asus. Get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293. Don't forget to ask do you get free 8GB RAM!

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 03:38:19 pm »
From my research when I was building my computer I found that for a PSU the rating and the 12V part are the most important factors when deciding which one to get.

Also, I have the exact same GPU and it's pretty good, ran Crysis on high at 60 fps and there's really not more I could ask for.
And how!

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 04:39:25 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Why not tell him to get this instead while you are it. I doubt the guy needs a blasted 2000$ PC to hit the ultra settings border

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 04:41:35 pm »
Maybe it's because I use my gaming pc to run simulations and stuff but I have a 2500K OC'ed to 4.2GHz and an old HD4870 and I'm still frequently CPU bound in games. IMO it's a much better idea to oversize your processor over the GPU. First reason because GPUs are very easy to replace anyway, and will die sooner if you push them too hard.

OC? come on lol OC is so last decade :)

If you have a decent cooling system there's no reason not to do it. And it makes a hell of a difference.