Author Topic: New PC help  (Read 4109 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: New PC help
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 12:37:49 am »
Pretty much sums up why SSD are overrated for gaming. You care about performance, not loading times, and having a SSD does nothing in that regard for the vast majority of games (haven't seen an I/O bound game in quite a while).

Wouldn't disk speed affect for example texture loading times ? When it's on demand of course, which implies a large world with a lot of different textures I suppose.

Besides, few people don't care at all about loading times or boot times. It's not necessarily worth the money, however small SSD are getting cheap now.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 12:50:09 am »
Wouldn't disk speed affect for example texture loading times ? When it's on demand of course, which implies a large world with a lot of different textures I suppose.

It could speed the disk loading part a bit, but that's done on a separate thread most of the time so it doesn't really affect performance.

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • Renown: 685
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
  • All I do is shitpost anymore in this game.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tom_Cruise_Dota_Fanatic
  • IRC nick: Tom_Cruise
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 02:34:55 am »
Well I think I may have to go with current setup. Maybe an upgrade in the tower so its full (looking at the one jarold gave me http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147158 ) and maybe a cooling system.

Screw the SSD. I dont need my browsers and desktop to search and load any faster than they do already. Like I said the only thing that was really holding me back from my full potential In gaming was my processors. Couldnt handle all of the animations and such. GPU and PSU are fine. I have 8GB of RAM already. And my C: drive has 372 GB of space and my D: drive has 544. Im currently at 39.5 GB of free space on my C: drive and 202 on my D: drive.

So while Im kinda getting by with my current hardrive space, I want more.

I MUST LISTEN TO THE OVERLORD CMP!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:53:50 am by mmason94 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 04:18:06 am »
Hey, I said that SSD are overrated for gaming, not that you should avoid to get one at all costs. :D
If you're not on a super tight budget, it's a nice thing to have.

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 04:19:53 am »
Hey, I said that SSD are overrated for gaming, not that you should avoid to get one at all costs. :D
If you're not on a super tight budget, it's a nice thing to have.

Well I said in an earlier post that Im aiming for around 700-800 USD or so. All that stuff I have up there right now is around that price and could pretty much destroy almost any game on the markey right?

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 07:22:41 am »
+1
A PC i built for around 1200$ some 5+ years ago (with the exception of a newer GPU) still pretty much destroys almost any game on the market right now.

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 07:47:11 am »
A PC i built for around 1200$ some 5+ years ago (with the exception of a newer GPU) still pretty much destroys almost any game on the market right now.

Well I asked if what I had posted up was good enough.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2013, 09:14:50 am »
Well I asked if what I had posted up was good enough.
Requirements increase way more slowly nowadays, than they did 5 years ago. I don't think that a good PC built now will be strained anytime soon.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2670
  • Infamy: 2547
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2013, 11:32:20 am »
+1
Depends. Right now most games are X360 ports. But when Xbone/PS4 ports start to arive, things might change.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2013, 01:46:48 pm »
Depends. Right now most games are X360 ports. But when Xbone/PS4 ports start to arive, things might change.

I'm not so sure about that. Console ports are "frugal" not only because console hardware is limited. It's also what type of games they are.

Requirements increase way more slowly nowadays, than they did 5 years ago. I don't think that a good PC built now will be strained anytime soon.

Pretty much this. Adding cores on our CPUs doesn't do jack shit when the CPU bottleneck is a single, very heavy thread. This is also why overclocking actually is more important now, new CPUs being shipped with ridiculously low factory clock frequencies.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2013, 02:41:21 pm »
Overclocking (the CPU) is a waste of time. A 4 year old first generation i7 can still handle current games quite fine, and applications that were once heavily CPU bound (video encoding/decoding, distributed computing, rendering...) are now being offloaded to the GPU anyway.

Offline Zaalback

• Count
  • Renown: 254
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Zaalback
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2013, 02:54:50 pm »
+1
Anyway , as Leshma already said, you should rather go for a Seasonic PSU , and forget all the other shitty brands with their weird labels and stuff . The 80+ doesn't mean that the PSU is especially well-made, it's also about securities and capacitors' quality
About your GPU I've heard that the 4xxx series from intel are out since a few days, but still I don't really know what they worth . According to your budget , you should go for a 3570k, that is slightly cheaper and doesn't make any differences with the 3770K in video-gaming. The 3770K will help you in the case that you are a confirmed "movie-maker", it'd make the encoding times shorter, it gives also some small advantages in other domaines, but won't help you at all in video games, check the benchmarks .
Also I recommend you to get a good heat sink for your CPU, if you wanna overclock it , even if it's a bit useless with such a rig. You should go for an Antec Kühler 520 or a decent noctua heatsink. If you are obsessed by your computer you should really get a Good CPU cooler in any ways.
About your case, it's ugly and it doesn't seem to be that efficient. You should go for an Antec Case such as P280 or a good cooler master one.  OR A FRACTAL DESIGN R4, as I have , which is for me the best case ever released.
To conclude, if you take a 3570K your GPU would be perfectly fine , you can also take a look to the GTX660ti that's also a pretty cool GPU.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:00:39 pm by Zaalback »

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2013, 06:09:25 pm »
The case that I showed you should be sufficient to fit your hardware. Just keep in mind it is a heavy beast, 30.42 lbs.

If you wanted to know the dimensions here it is...

9.14" x 22.84" x 21.89" (WxHxD) (bezel included)
9.14" x 22.84" x 20.08" (WxHxD) (bezel NOT included)

If you really want an in-depth look on the case here's a review, http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eStwwZFlOoQ.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 06:13:16 pm by Jarold »

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2013, 06:17:10 pm »
Isn't the case size stuff easier to figure out than that ?

I mean, there are a few standard formats (mini-ATX, ATX...) and each mobo clearly tells you which one it belongs to.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2013, 07:04:54 pm »
Kafien, it is an ATX Full Tower, overral this case is pretty large so it will fit very large parts inside of it. I like to see the exact dimensions.

Just as a reassuring statement for you, the case does support your motherboard you have linked, mmason94.