Author Topic: Horses have no natural predators  (Read 29433 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: Horses have no natural predators
« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2011, 12:34:07 am »
I had an unarmoured horse take 4 heavy throwing axes (3 in the arse, 1 in the neck) to put down today...then it took another 2 to put the rider down.

3/4s of my ammo on a single kill...oh yeah!
 :?

To be fair hitting it in the arse is never going to do damage on this game :P 2 in the neck will usually do it, often one in the head. As a cavman throwing axes used to be the bane of my life in this game (not so much any more because I never see them).

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Maybes aye maybes naw. Tiger that runs wi Wolves
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2011, 12:39:35 am »
Oh yeah I know that arse hits don't do TOO much, the more obvious problem being even if I had hit the bloody thing in the head twice it would have been half my ammo gone. It's a well known problem though hence hardly anyone throwing anymore.
 :mrgreen:

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2011, 12:46:10 am »
O just to say...if you lot arguing for nerfs so that infantrymen can fight everything 1vs1 equally...then you may as well drop all the equipment and throw rocks at each other. Rather than suggesting pointless nerfs, come up with something constructive and useful. You are not going to be able to beat everything, and cavalry is your weakness. Either accept it and get used to it, or be reasonable, recognise that cavalry should be better, but perhaps is a little to OP, but come up with something constructive. Not just pointless rants about how you hate being lanced over and over.

Offline Bjarky

• Earl
  • Renown: 352
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • U got gold? I bring tea, silk, hemp, camels +more!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Leadership member)
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Bjarky, Guard_the_Lederhosen
  • IRC nick: bjarky
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2011, 05:21:56 am »
that throwing is a total waste of time is not the cavmans fault, but the recent patch uber nerf on throwing, i have feeling that will be fixed soon though ;)

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 24, 2011, 06:54:33 am »
Oh yeah I know that arse hits don't do TOO much, the more obvious problem being even if I had hit the bloody thing in the head twice it would have been half my ammo gone. It's a well known problem though hence hardly anyone throwing anymore.
 :mrgreen:

I was on the duel server with Duster recently. He wore full plate and a shield on a tripple heirloomed plated charger and I took my once heirloomed 8 throwing spears and we dueled about 50 times for comedic value. I landed a lot of great hits at least but even with him standing still and just blocking with the shield it was pretty impossible. I managed to get him later on a battle map but to be fair I'd had a few dozen practice runs and it may have been wind assisted. Also it took all my ammo and I promptly died anyway. I hope someone posts the screenshots. Black and red murder horse covered in spears.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:56:50 am by Cheap_Shot »
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Native_ATS

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 24, 2011, 07:27:54 am »
that throwing is a total waste of time is not the cavmans fault, but the recent patch uber nerf on throwing, i have feeling that will be fixed soon though ;)
nope, just let the shitty throwers spam it more.... but then why use skill when u can spam right?

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #216 on: May 24, 2011, 08:20:10 am »
Or a dehorsed cavman often doesn't stand a chance against a pure melee build.

Unless the cav is a complete pleb that fails at character building the difference between a cav and an infantry in melee stat-wise is almost completely negligable.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 24, 2011, 09:25:30 am »
Unless the cav is a complete pleb that fails at character building the difference between a cav and an infantry in melee stat-wise is almost completely negligable.

...except for the 5 or 6 points he has to spend in riding. That's a noticeable difference.

Cav is primarily balanced around gold... which is a shitty balancing system, since they can just grind a few rounds to afford their pony.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 24, 2011, 11:42:56 am »
...except for the 5 or 6 points he has to spend in riding. That's a noticeable difference.

Cav is primarily balanced around gold... which is a shitty balancing system, since they can just grind a few rounds to afford their pony.

The 5 or 6 points that would go to the most useful skill in the game - ironflesh ? There is nearly no difference between cav and infantry in term of melee infantry combat.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 24, 2011, 01:50:01 pm »

Depends on the build. If you're a dedicated HA or lancer, then you don't stand much chance on foot against a melee player. HA's don't have athletics, so you can't out run most melee players, neither do they have any kind of wpf in 1h/2h and lancers have all their points in polearm wpf. So unless they pick up a polearm, it's quite difficult to get kills as a downed lancer. I've seen a few people wield a lance effectively on foot, but still not well enough to beat decent melee players.

That difference in WPF allocation and lack of athletics makes a big difference on the battlefield.

I'd argue that only 1h+shield cav stands a chance on foot, and there aren't actually as many of those around and I tend to think of them as melee men who have found a horse, rather than actually dedicated cav players.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:51:32 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #220 on: May 24, 2011, 04:59:30 pm »
Depends on the build. If you're a dedicated HA or lancer, then you don't stand much chance on foot against a melee player. HA's don't have athletics, so you can't out run most melee players, neither do they have any kind of wpf in 1h/2h and lancers have all their points in polearm wpf. So unless they pick up a polearm, it's quite difficult to get kills as a downed lancer. I've seen a few people wield a lance effectively on foot, but still not well enough to beat decent melee players.

That difference in WPF allocation and lack of athletics makes a big difference on the battlefield.

I'd argue that only 1h+shield cav stands a chance on foot, and there aren't actually as many of those around and I tend to think of them as melee men who have found a horse, rather than actually dedicated cav players.

Cav:
18/18

PS 6
Shield 5
Riding 6
Ath 6
WM 6

1h:  120
pole: 120

Infantry
18/18

IF 6
PS 6
shield 5
ath 6
wm 6

1h  120
2h  120

Both of these are characters of mine and I only post it to show that the only thing a cav sacrifices is IF.  HA's are different, but fuck HA's.  They're gay anyways.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #221 on: May 24, 2011, 05:35:35 pm »
Depends on the build. If you're a dedicated HA or lancer, then you don't stand much chance on foot against a melee player. HA's don't have athletics, so you can't out run most melee players, neither do they have any kind of wpf in 1h/2h and lancers have all their points in polearm wpf. So unless they pick up a polearm, it's quite difficult to get kills as a downed lancer.

Why on earth do you presume lancers are forced to carry a shield? If they know how to block it won't make much difference anyways. And 160 polearm mounted is still 160 polearm, lancer can rock the GLA jst as well as any other person. (And as someone else said, "Fuck HA, they're gay anyways")

I've seen a few people wield a lance effectively on foot, but still not well enough to beat decent melee players.

Well, it's their fault then. 1. Not bringing anything but a lance. 2. Not being good enough at melee combat.

What difference? The only thing you lose is IF.

Cmon...

As for the suggestions on nerfing manoeuvrability, that's another suggestion that makes no sense. The OP (other thread) writer said it well in that dedicated horsemen know how to manage their speed. A full speed courser cannot turn, simple. I use one as a HA and I can assure you, at full speed, if a lancer cuts across me, or a pikeman appears, I cannot turn out the way fast enough. The only reason I can usually is because I very rarely ride at full speed unless to get away from enemy horsemen whilst shooting them. When it comes to killing infantry, most cavalrymen will rarely use full speed and so it appears that their manoeuvring ability is far greater than it actually is.

Poor you, not being able to instantly dodge an ambushing pikeman (supposed to be a "direct counter" to horsemen...) IF you are riding at full speed. You must have a really hard time as cav.

Why would you ride at full speed anyways? Slightly lower speeds allow you to still outrun everything not another horse by a good margin, and dodge anything showing up almost instantly (spec if you have the Arab). Plus you acceleration is so fast you can just instantly pick up speed if needed.

You play as a HA, so I dunno if you have ever seen the effects of the stupidly high maneuver horses have atm. Have you ever (as a footman!) been...?

...Bumpslashed?

...Bumplanced?

...Couched while weilding a weapon shorter than a pike?

...Unable to dodge a lance despite 8 ath? (Did they nerf ath or smth?)

...Circle-lanced? ("lollanced")

...even in a 1v1 vs a lancer on an Arab?

Get of your horse, grab a pole/2 h/shield, play a few games and come back and tell me cav maneuver is fine atm.

...Now that was a rant, but I once again want to stress this:

For me, the primary issue with horses is not that they lack effective counters, it's that their presence force upon others a very strict style of gameplay (stick together in a big blob, bring alot of pikes, bring alot of ranged...), something no other class does.

Cav needs to be balanced around the game, not the other way around.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #222 on: May 24, 2011, 05:49:16 pm »
I'd like to make a point to Dezilagel that I play as a lancer, but i'm gonna try and take a non -biased view here :)

I was playing on a game with a couple of other cav and such and my colleague here, Overdriven, a heavy armoured cav player and oberyn of the mercs were all trying to kill me after overdriven downed my horse. By a bit of careful play and moving towards my team mates not only did I manage to hold off the cav assault of 3 cav on me for about a minute (which in a battle of 6 is a key amount of time) but I also managed to reach my team mates, from there on my own I managed to fend off those 3 from the backs of my team mates... Now if I can do this with just a light lance and some help from a shielder I think it proves that cav is only as effective as the infantry lets them be.

You infantry want to be free from the responsibility of looking out for cav. The lack of infantry willing to play a key defensive role at the back  of the assaulting infantry who get a better k/d, is what unbalances the cav :P Cav is OP as long as infantry are selfish enough to all charge forward and ignore their backs :P To protect a group of about 6 infantry from rear assaults you need barely two polearm supporting infantry . If infantry become less selfish and organise themselves then the cav wont run amok in your backs. Same goes partly to archers who should aim for the horses... It takes maybe 2 shots to the neck, 3 to the body, one to the head of a horse to bring a cavalry player to just 1 stray infantry who can be ganged up . Archers aim for the horse and help the team, only aim for the rider if hes on a heavy horse  or if you know you can make the shot.

Conclusion : As soon as people stop caring about K/d's and more the wellfare of the team, we'll see a lot more dead horsemen on the field
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #223 on: May 24, 2011, 06:26:17 pm »
I was playing on a game with a couple of other cav and such and my colleague here, Overdriven, a heavy armoured cav player and oberyn of the mercs were all trying to kill me after overdriven downed my horse. By a bit of careful play and moving towards my team mates not only did I manage to hold off the cav assault of 3 cav on me for about a minute (which in a battle of 6 is a key amount of time) but I also managed to reach my team mates, from there on my own I managed to fend off those 3 from the backs of my team mates... Now if I can do this with just a light lance and some help from a shielder I think it proves that cav is only as effective as the infantry lets them be.

Well, using the light lance on foot (with a shield I presume), is the same thing as using a "short" pike. (i.e ur a pikeman in this scenario and not "infantry") Yes, with a pike, I too can hold off cav (not kill them, just deny them the space around me...), but it requires dedication, and comletely denies me the opportunity to play the game I want to play (melee), while I don't deny cav anything but the small circle around me (assuming they're shit at teamwork, 2 lancers vs 1 pike is a no-brainer, they can attack at the same time from diff dir or one can just dismount).

Also, the scenario you pictured is pretty much the ideal one for effective use of a pike (as the only thing you needed to do was to deny them that little area)
You infantry want to be free from the responsibility of looking out for cav.

Nowhere did I say that, I just want my awareness to actually mean smth more than a 0.5 sec pause as mr cav readies his next lollance. (thus the suggestion to reduce maneuver)

Conclusion : As soon as people stop caring about K/d's and more the wellfare of the team, we'll see a lot more dead horsemen on the field

As said, cav force upon entire teams a certain style of play, something no other class does. And that is not balance.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:31:51 pm by Dezilagel »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 24, 2011, 06:42:17 pm »
Every type of troop if played well forces a certain type of play as a counter.

If there is loads of archers you need to solve that problem.
If there is loads of infantry the solution will be different.
If there is cavalry then again a different response is required.

Having to adjust your playstyle a bit to account for the composition of the enemy team is nothing unique to horsemen!

Unless your significantly outnumbered working together infantry can overcome cavalry quite easily. Same as any other class, being able to overcome any other with the right tactics and skill.