• Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
Re: nudge
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 05:18:34 pm »
+8
As far as I've seen, the nudge is one of the easiest things to see coming and counter so far, because the 1her has to be pushing, and he has to get closer than any weapon's swing. A simple sidestep, jump, kick, hell even a swing can punish the 1h no shield nudger. The ones complaining are the same old 2h and polearm lobbyists from forever, if they had it their way all 2h would have a chance to crushthrough and knockdown because ooh they're manual blocking and that's so hard and ooh they dont have protection from ranged because they minmax their build with no shield skill. Everyone will learn how to deal with the nudge in time, just like the kicks. Or they won't and they'll just die to about 10% of the player base.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 05:19:46 pm »
+1
Not even going to bother.

You don't harm anyone when blocking.

If blocking is a counter to attacks then shields are a counter to horse archers. Might as well use "christmas tree" as a word for that kind of "counter" and keep counter for the effective and meaningful thing. Blocking is a christmas tree to attacks and shields are christmas trees against horse archers.

Btw aren't kicks a decent counter to current nudges ?

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 05:23:32 pm »
You don't harm anyone when blocking.

If blocking is a counter to attacks then shields are a counter to horse archers. Might as well use "christmas tree" as a word for that kind of "counter" and keep counter for the effective and meaningful thing. Blocking is a christmas tree to attacks and shields are christmas trees against horse archers.

Btw aren't kicks a decent counter to current nudges ?
Nudge of nudger cancels kick of kicker. In some cases even knocks down a kicker...
                            ^                                                               ^
              Checked it myself.                    Paul said it can do eet under some circumstances if I remember properly.

Kicks don't prevent nudges. By kicking you expose yourself, so why would a 1h-no-shield want to nudge an enemy if he can just wait for enemy to expose himself. The point of fighting is not to nudge or kick the enemy but to kill him wither by reacting better or outsmarting him (like with chamber-kicking when you are knocked down).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:34:01 pm by BlueKnight »

Skyrim UI

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 05:31:53 pm »
Nudge of nudger cancels kick of kicker. In some cases even knocks down a kicker...
                            ^                                                               ^
              Checked it myself.                    Paul said it can do eet under some circumstances if I remember properly.
I confirm that you can knock down kickers with a nudge (attack+nudge, IIRC). Reason 1 why I love nudges.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 05:53:52 pm »
+1
so ye, i still have to test it more and play it more,sofar i think nudging kills the whole game, its basicly giving people a free disable wich is increddibly eazy to pull off, and not really punishable like with the kick, where u get locked in animation, wich they kinda ruined to when giving the kick a silly cone hitreach oh you took away the block? oh yeah gj. so guys, im calling it now, new meta, everybody with 1 handers and xbows and good athletics. will kill with ranged and will dominate in melee, because of this nudge. lets see what eu1 will look like in a week and if there will be any shielders left on foot.

oh and paul, id like to hear from you how often u see kicks get counterkicked/chambered, and then elaborate more about this chamber nudging youre thinking about.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 05:58:51 pm »
oh and paul, id like to hear from you how often u see kicks get counterkicked/chambered, and then elaborate more about this chamber nudging youre thinking about.

Tbh I never thought of how useful the counterkick is when you are knocked down and your enemy goes for a kick triple hit. At least in that situation counterkicking seems doable. Otherwise, the timing is so tight and your reaction has to be so fast, it's not really possible.

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 06:09:36 pm »
indeed if your knocked down you can spam kick to atleast not get kicked on the rise, but thats my point, personally i hardly see counter kicks, and have only rarely pulled them off myself, this whole counter nudge is all nice and well in theory , but not practical at all. but hey , thread is up and we will see how things turn out, i feel a plague of 1 handers waving their fist and weapon in an eternal dance of nudge spams and left swing repeaters.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:12:44 pm by rufio »

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 06:14:26 pm »
+2
Being good at kicking has more to do with what your char and your enemy has in his hands than anything related to the player IMO.

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • QQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 06:19:47 pm »
its indeed about playstyle, i know its eazier for an S key hero to lure somone into a kick specially now that kicks have a stupid big hit cone, but im talking about real play here, where offensiveness is a must. it still takes skill to time and land kicks without putting yourself in a stupid position. and hey kafein i wouldnt try kicking tomuch either if i was you , because being locked in one place isnt a good position for a naked guy.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:24:10 pm by rufio »

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 157
  • cRPG Player
  • Is now an agiwhore :*(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Skono, Rollmops
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 06:29:29 pm »
+3
There's one reason I love nudges and don't mind them being powerful: Nudging is an offensive playstyle that works very well against high STR backpedalers that kicks every time you get close. Nudging is the counter to the lamest melee playstyle.

Why do I feel you're pointing at me Jarlek? :D

As for the nudge itself, after having a sesh with Zlisch, I didn't feel that it was overpowered, mostly because it seemd tough to land a hit with the sword even if the nudge did hit. However, as it is the beginning, I do not know if it will turn towards abuse or if it will simply be a rewarding yet dangerous manoeuver reserved to skillful players. I guess time will tell.
Kudos to Kulin_Ban for the video

Offline wanteds

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: polelord
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 06:40:01 pm »
Gonna have to "-" you on this one Rufio, nudge is longer implemented on dtv and it was lots of fun when you could nudge teammates into hordes of enemies or off a cliff/roof top. Its still fun tho you can't nudge teammates anymore, too much QQ about it.

*Assuming this is the same kind of nudge on dtv, haven't checked yet.

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2013, 06:47:15 pm »
+1
And no shield bash. Just absurd

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 07:22:24 pm »
its indeed about playstyle, i know its eazier for an S key hero to lure somone into a kick specially now that kicks have a stupid big hit cone, but im talking about real play here, where offensiveness is a must. it still takes skill to time and land kicks without putting yourself in a stupid position. and hey kafein i wouldnt try kicking tomuch either if i was you , because being locked in one place isnt a good position for a naked guy.
(click to show/hide)

Compared to other 1h, I kick a lot even when it's not obvious (obvious kicks happen all the time in siege). Not as much as that Deserter_Robb_Stark fellow though, but I haven't seen him in a while. Most 1h are required to go into kick range to attack and even much closer than that if they don't want to be easily dodged, defending against kicks or not isn't a choice for these guys. Fact is they aren't that much harder to kick a second time after the first one. All this in siege though.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 07:29:05 pm »
+1
.also this thread seems to have the same little downvote gang again as usuall. ah well ive stated my oppinion

here then, the explanation for the minus I gave you:

people generally qq that devs do nothing for the mod. Then someone comes up with new fighting mechanic stuff and you make a thread with this content: "quite an unneeded and stupid new mechanic." Not an opinion, not an explanation why you think so, not a suggestion about what to do, nothing.

I generally like it when they try out new stuff, even if it's horrible at first. (which I don't think nudge is)

once I made it non-instantaneous and every weapontype has access to it.

sounds good.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 07:48:46 pm »
The ones complaining are the same old 2h and polearm lobbyists from forever, if they had it their way all 2h would have a chance to crushthrough and knockdown because ooh they're manual blocking and that's so hard and ooh they dont have protection from ranged because they minmax their build with no shield skill.
Just thought this deserved quoting.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character