Author Topic: The new Xbox  (Read 9090 times)

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • Renown: 586
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Duke
Re: The new Xbox
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2013, 11:27:47 am »
Microsoft fucking messed up their plans against Sony. Overall worse hardware, less freedom, bullshit prohibitions, and higher price.

Xbox 360 managed to get ahold of a big portion of the console market - I doubt this will happen as things are now. I definitely wouldn't buy a console just for a single game, that's like saying the game is worth 500$, which sounds stupid at best. Consoles are nice - they have improved the hardware significantly to the point that they bear a x86 architecture now, and the OS seems way cooler in both. The thing is, if PC games used to be a port from consoles, the games would not really use up all of the PC's potential. We'll see what happens now.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 777
  • Infamy: 1986
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2013, 12:47:36 pm »
+1
MS vs Sony on this year's E3 was basically Sony waiting for Microsoft to say something bad, then they jump out of the bushes to say the completely oposite thing. I don't find that kind of marketing awesome at all. Both companies are exactly what console crowd deserves.

And Jonathan Blow have proved to be an asshole, acting like Sony PR and stuff. I hope that one day, chadz won't become like J. Blow or M. Persson.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2013, 12:51:34 pm »
I hope that one day, chadz won't become like J. Blow or M. Persson.

What has Notch done bad ?

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2013, 02:09:06 pm »
+4

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2013, 02:33:22 pm »
MS vs Sony on this year's E3 was basically Sony waiting for Microsoft to say something bad, then they jump out of the bushes to say the completely oposite thing. I don't find that kind of marketing awesome at all. Both companies are exactly what console crowd deserves.

They've been doing this for years. That's why it's always been a bit of a gamble to announce first because no matter what the other company will always pick up on the things you've missed out. All Sony had to do was sit and wait for the new Xbox, look at the rage and appropriately address the rage. They've had an easy time of it really but it does make me wonder how many last minute changes they'll be making. For all we know they probably had similar online requirements as the Xbox, seeing as it's the way things have been going for a while, then they saw the rage and decided to under cut on that.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2013, 02:59:31 pm »
+4
So are people actually complaining that a console developer is listening to the legitimate complaint of their target audience and reacting too it? Sony could have done nothing and Xbox would still have ruined themselves: always on, region locking (lol half the EU can't use the system including poland, hungary, portugal), kinect requirement, TV focus, etc.  I don't see what is wrong with Sony simply seeing what the target audience dislikes and saying they won't do that, it's almost like they're responding to consumer feedback and making a product that gamers actually want.
Turtles

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2013, 03:05:22 pm »
+3
So are people actually complaining that a console developer is listening to the legitimate complaint of their target audience and reacting too it? Sony could have done nothing and Xbox would still have ruined themselves: always on, region locking (lol half the EU can't use the system including poland, hungary, portugal), kinect requirement, TV focus, etc.  I don't see what is wrong with Sony simply seeing what the target audience dislikes and saying they won't do that, it's almost like they're responding to consumer feedback and making a product that gamers actually want.

It's more the petty competition to gain sales. That's the only reason they have 'listened'. Fact is the Xbox announced first so we have no idea what Sony originally planned but there's definitely a sense of smugness on Sony's part which I don't like seeing as, like Leshma said, they just pretty much under cut everything Microsoft said, with probably no legitimate plans of their own. They are basically going to spend the next however many months, implementing all this stuff they've now promised in retaliation to Microsoft. There's a reason why some people are legitimately worried about the PS4 having a red ring of death scenario as the 360 did in its first year because they will end up rushing a whole bunch of crap.

If Sony had legitimately responded to concerns about the PS3 alone it would be fine. And on their part they have with some stuff, such as the interface. But a whole load of what they said was clearly in direct response to the One.

:wink:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:21:47 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2013, 03:17:20 pm »
+3
Are you telling me that sony wants to sell their system and are responding to feedback to do so?  Shocking behaviour imo, they should definitely just stick to their guns and make a shitty system like Xbox plan on. That's be way better for the console market because then there would be two systems nobody wants to buy.

I do agree that they are being smug bastards and are basically just pushing Xbox into the pool of shit and vomit that they created for themselves. That's not very nice, but they are competitors and i don't really expect much else from the two companies.  Talking about potential hardware faults is kinda pointless as there is noway of knowing whether that will happen or not.

Also AMD is the only winner in this console generation.
Turtles

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2013, 03:20:56 pm »
Are you telling me that sony wants to sell their system and are responding to feedback to do so?  Shocking behaviour imo, they should definitely just stick to their guns and make a shitty system like Xbox plan on. That's be way better for the console market because then there would be two systems nobody wants to buy.

I do agree that they are being smug bastards and are basically just pushing Xbox into the pool of shit and vomit that they created for themselves. That's not very nice, but they are competitors and i don't really expect much else from the two companies.  Talking about potential hardware faults is kinda pointless as there is noway of knowing whether that will happen or not.

Also AMD is the only winner in this console generation.

They aren't responding to feedback though, at least not towards their own console. They are responding to criticisms of the new xbox and making it sound as though they were planning to do pretty much the opposite the entire time. Which is obviously complete bollocks. Both companies just piss me off any how.

No there isn't, but Sony clearly are rushing a bunch of stuff and that often means bad things.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1251
  • Infamy: 2683
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2013, 03:29:35 pm »
+1
What has Notch done bad ?

Where to start...

He's a hipster. People who worship him are hipsters too.

He stole the idea and presented it as his original idea.

His "followers" are calling anyone who wants to improve on that concept a copycat.

His game was very poorly coded in the beginning but he managed to persuade his band of hipsters that Java is awesome for writing video game engines and that shitty graphics and textures are the new fad.

He's acting all high and almighty by donating tens of thousands of dollars on every Humble Bundle charity auction but no one knows his what is his connection with Humble Bundle creators. One thing is certain, his game was never part of the auction. His game was never on any discount, as well.

He wasted too much money and time to port his game on X360 and now his game is Xbone exclusive.

He's also full of himself and thinks he's some godlike programmer, while he's the completely opposite.

Similar can be said about Jonathan Blow. His game are also "artsy" and basically made for hipsters.

chadz & Co. from what I've seen are cool people and I hope they'll stay "normal" as they are.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2013, 04:14:18 pm »
Infiminer was the thing that gave Minecraft the idea right? From what ive heard. Didnt Notch state multible times that he got the idea from Infiminer? And how do you know that chadz & Co are "normal"? We barely know anything about them in general. And who knows, once they hit it big they might turn into cunts.....Crpg doesnt really show anything about them.

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2013, 05:21:56 pm »
+2
Watching those nextgen consoles duking it out is quite amusing in a way, it's like watching Paralympics.
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2013, 06:01:08 pm »
Watching those nextgen consoles duking it out is quite amusing in a way, it's like watching Paralympics.

:lol:

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2013, 06:09:16 pm »
+1

Except it is socially acceptable to laugh about next gen consoles :D

He's a hipster. People who worship him are hipsters too.

Okay

He stole the idea and presented it as his original idea.

No. He cited several influences.

His "followers" are calling anyone who wants to improve on that concept a copycat.

Even if it's true, that isn't Notch's fault.

His game was very poorly coded in the beginning but he managed to persuade his band of hipsters that Java is awesome for writing video game engines and that shitty graphics and textures are the new fad.

Minecraft graphics aren't "shitty" they are unrealistic. The game does run very sluggishly but given the huge amount of shit going on, I don't know if it's really due to bad coding.

He's acting all high and almighty by donating tens of thousands of dollars on every Humble Bundle charity auction but no one knows his what is his connection with Humble Bundle creators. One thing is certain, his game was never part of the auction. His game was never on any discount, as well.

I agree minecraft is way overpriced.

He wasted too much money and time to port his game on X360 and now his game is Xbone exclusive.

Okay

He's also full of himself and thinks he's some godlike programmer, while he's the completely opposite.

Actually no. I remember he stated he learned a ton of things from his Mojang employees, and continues to do so.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2013, 06:20:07 pm »
I agree with Kafein. Which means I agree with Leshma about 50/50. :lol:
He never generally stated that the crap graphics thing is the "new fad". Other people thought it was and wanted to have similar success to Minecraft. Which some did btw. Like for example Terraria.