Author Topic: Suggest a Game -- Win a Loom Point Contest  (Read 7793 times)

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
Re: Suggest a Game -- Win a Loom Point Contest
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2013, 10:18:21 am »
A torrented copy of the game will work as well (from experience). Really deep game but you definitely need a group of people to make it work.
Just looked up the legality and it appears perfectly legal since it's considered abandonware. I wonder why the swgemu team discourages the practice? Either way I will be dling and hopefully won't lose my soul to this game like the first time!
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline Draggon

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Blocking axes with my face since June 2011
    • View Profile
    • SnowHawkClan.org
  • Faction: Snowhawk Clan (SHC)
  • Game nicks: SHC_Draggon, SHC_Draggonfang, SHC_Draggonclaw
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2013, 04:01:12 pm »
There's some good ones listed in here already, but here are the ones I'd have to second as some of the best PvP games out there to date:

Ultima Online: The PvP god of all PvP games!  About 6 months ago or so I played again with a few friends on a free shard that was pretty damn near exactly like the old game was.  Very active shard, lots of PvP, the mobs were a lot tougher and the skill ups were a lot faster (7x GM'ed in about a week).

- Dark Age of Camelot: Played on a free shard last year called Uthgard.  Pretty good but took waaaaaaaaay too long to level up to PvP.  Very active server though.  Recently re-joined the live servers on Ywaine 5 and godam was I surprised!  This game is still going very strong.  Tons of PvP/RvR going all the time.  Lots of improvements such as no longer having to do all the stupid ToA bullshit to level Artifacts, you can get everything you need for PvP buy actually PvPing.  No PvE required.  You CAN PvE for it also, but don't have to.  Your choice.

- Star Wars Galaxies:  Well we all know how great the original game was until Sony destroyed it.  But someone on here suggested SWG Emu which takes you back to the way the game was pre-CU.  I haven't tried it but that's now the next one on my list.  Thanks for suggesting!

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2013, 04:07:54 pm »
Dunno if suggested yet but Crytek's Warface looks interesting. Most of all it's free2play and has cryengine 3.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2013, 04:16:45 pm »
Atlantica Online
http://atlantica.nexon.net/

First game, mmo,  i ever played for over 1000 hours (I think it adds up to like 1.6k) and actually spend a lot of money on =)

I'm not going to say anything about it here, just watch some vids of the gameplay on Youtube. There's nothing like it out there and the pvp is awesome.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2013, 05:40:33 pm »
Atlantica Online
http://atlantica.nexon.net/

First game, mmo,  i ever played for over 1000 hours (I think it adds up to like 1.6k) and actually spend a lot of money on =)

I'm not going to say anything about it here, just watch some vids of the gameplay on Youtube. There's nothing like it out there and the pvp is awesome.

Looks like another one of those cleavage assault games. Also, my axe weighs three times as much as I do but I still swing it in one hand.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Sagar

• Earl
  • Renown: 463
  • Infamy: 279
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bogumili
  • Game nicks: Sagar
  • IRC nick: Sagar
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2013, 05:54:39 pm »
+3
Age of Conan: Unchained
http://www.ageofconan.com/
http://forums.ageofconan.com/

(click to show/hide)

Offline HarryCrumb

• Earl
  • Renown: 339
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2013, 06:49:33 pm »
Just looked up the legality and it appears perfectly legal since it's considered abandonware. I wonder why the swgemu team discourages the practice? Either way I will be dling and hopefully won't lose my soul to this game like the first time!

Quick piece of advice,

I played SWG pre-CU and also played the EMU for an extended period of time. While it looks extremely exciting with the progress they have made to recreate such a great game, be warned that this EMU has been in development for 5+ years now and they wipe the servers every year or so due to it still being in beta stages. Can't describe how painful it is to fully grind a complete character template just to see it wiped...

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2013, 10:29:17 pm »
+3
Damnit! I was going to suggest Age of Conan, and was getting excited no one mentioned it yet so I could claim the prize.

Anyways, I agree this is a great MMO to try.  I will expound upon some of the reasons in hopes of sharing the prize when you do eventually choose this game to play.

1. Great graphics.  Even though its a few years old, the graphics blow other MMO's out of the water.  When it first came out many machines just couldn't run it.

2. Gritty, dark, violent atmosphere.  I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Conan universe created by acclaimed (and possibly schizophrenic) author Robert E. Howard in the earlier 1900's...but the game fleshes it out very well.  There are no fairy quests or candy-colored reward items.  It's got dark gods, gory combat, and uncensored tits.  It's high adventure in a low fantasy setting. 

3. It's got the other things you're looking for (A marketplace, persistence, addictiveness, and a compelling story)  but the best is the combat system.  There is no "click. auto-attack. yawn."  Instead, it keeps you involved with directional attacks and combos, dodges, and plenty of blood.

I highly recommend it!!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:38:03 am by Garison »

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2013, 10:39:24 pm »
+1
Age of Conan: Unchained
http://www.ageofconan.com/
http://forums.ageofconan.com/

(click to show/hide)

I totally forgot about this game. wanted to try it months ago! Thanks!
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2013, 10:56:00 pm »
+1
Pirates of the Burning Sea (f2p, not p2win).  Imagine EVE Online-Lite.  Avatar ground combat (swashbuckling) is floaty and not that great, but ship combat rivals the complexity of EvE.  Port battles against other factions is similar to Strategus fights, 24v24 with different maps, win conditions, etc.  Economy is one of the more complex in games (not as much as Eve) and buying/trading and econ is actually kinda fun in this game.

Natural Selection 2 (team & objective based FPS-RTS).  I have always loved Teamfortress, played since the original, but NS2 is much more skill based than TF.  It combines a commanders giving orders to harvest resources so that you as a marine playing FPS have the tools to fight aliens.  One of the greatest asymmetrical design games EVER.

and as a longtime D&D and pencil/paper RPG'er who has played both Neverwinter (cryptic) & DDO (both before & after F2p) DDO wins hands down no fucking contest.  With a group of friends it can be a very fun game.  Neverwinter is complete fucking garbage cash grab grindfest.

Hell if you pick up DDO I would even be interested in playing with you guys.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:06:31 pm by Digglez »

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2013, 11:07:23 pm »
Could any of you who've played UO in the recent years please recommend a shard and a game version? I've tried a few times over the years but it's a jungle.

Offline Sagar

• Earl
  • Renown: 463
  • Infamy: 279
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bogumili
  • Game nicks: Sagar
  • IRC nick: Sagar
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2013, 12:35:04 am »
I went through the whole thread, and I was like "what ... no Age of Conan - interesting"  :mrgreen:

Garison,
(click to show/hide)

You're welcome Miwiw99

Offline ArysOakheart

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1322
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Arys_TheDrunkenPeasant