Author Topic: Ranged scoring  (Read 3774 times)

Offline Juhanius

• Legendary Engraver
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I always hated crossbows, take too long to load!"
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Juhanius, Stormy_Repairs
Re: Ranged scoring
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2013, 09:16:30 pm »
I still don't know why you are saying this, please elaborate.

I like to also see patch notes

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2013, 09:32:47 pm »
+3
I agree that when 2 melee blobs clash the blob that survives is often the winning team, but that doesn't mean everyone in the blob contributed to the fight.  My point is you can sit there and hold your shield up within a blob and you'll rake in points while contributing nothing more than your physical presence (which counts for something, but points received are disproportionately high). 

I should also note that archers & other ranged could have a very large (and sometimes critical) part in determining the result of the melee blob battle with their support fire, but they don't receive as many points.  Ironically it's their allies in the melee blob who gain the proximity points from the damage the ranged fire is inflicting.

The myth of a shielder getting valour by just holding right key in a block is really overdone, I would hope this is because us shielders ourselves make an ironic joke out of it to spread it cuz surely people aren't coming to this conclusion through their own careful gameplay analysis???  You might collect some points doing that but won't get enough for valour. Go spectate the better shielders (or melee players in general) who do get valor consistently. At the beginning they are usually in the thick of the fight attacking very aggressively and chopping down people left and right. When I encounter a guy like this I usually go out of my way to check him cuz I know if I leave him alone he'll rip through my teammates, he's my #1 concern not the guy holding up a shield, and not the archer 50 feet away on the side.

And good archers can be very helpful, but no way is their damage per second anywhere equivalent to a melee STR build swinging a big weapon every 2 seconds at least in that critical opening sequence with targets constantly in reach.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2013, 09:55:55 pm »
+1
The myth of a shielder getting valour by just holding right key in a block is really overdone, I would hope this is because us shielders ourselves make an ironic joke out of it to spread it cuz surely people aren't coming to this conclusion through their own careful gameplay analysis???  You might collect some points doing that but won't get enough for valour. Go spectate the better shielders (or melee players in general) who do get valor consistently. At the beginning they are usually in the thick of the fight attacking very aggressively and chopping down people left and right. When I encounter a guy like this I usually go out of my way to check him cuz I know if I leave him alone he'll rip through my teammates, he's my #1 concern not the guy holding up a shield, and not the archer 50 feet away on the side.

And good archers can be very helpful, but no way is their damage per second anywhere equivalent to a melee STR build swinging a big weapon every 2 seconds at least in that critical opening sequence with targets constantly in reach.

Speaking as someone who has played a lot of shielder, I agree getting valor while doing nothing but blocking would be very hard.  Still though, you can get a lot of points doing nothing but block, so it makes valor easier to obtain if you are able to land hits & contribute more.  I'll do some video testing later today if I CBA.

Speaking as someone who has played a lot of archer, I agree archers don't have the DPS potential melee has (nor should they).  Still though, it is VERY hard to accrue points as an archer.  I usually get 1-3 points per landed arrow.  I would argue that a shielder doing nothing but block in the fray of a fight will outperform an archer landing a lot of hits at ranged more often than not.

Speaking as someone who gets a lot of valor, yes ganging up against other players is a great way to get points in melee, since you're gaining points for the damage you and your buddies deal.  Valor isn't completely broken - good players often get it - but it's still broken for ranged.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2013, 10:50:19 pm »
Nothing wrong with ganging up (aka teamwork), it should be rewarded since it is the best way to kill players quickly and efficiently (especially really badass duelists) assuming you are not teamwounding at the same time.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2013, 10:55:27 pm »
Nothing wrong with ganging up (aka teamwork), it should be rewarded since it is the best way to kill players quickly and efficiently (especially really badass duelists) assuming you are not teamwounding at the same time.
I agree, the problem is archers don't get rewarded for their teamwork since they aren't close enough to benefit from shared damage on a target :)
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2013, 11:07:04 pm »
It reminds me of a "light" version of the old xp/gold system which was really good.

(Melee) cavalry which supports infantry and melee infantry get valour most often, because they make or break matches. This is a good thing.

I would get valour for much less kills when infantry then I would with a HX, but you know which class IS harder and more demanding to play? Which class do we exactly want to encourage?
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2013, 11:37:53 pm »
+1
BUFF RANGED!!!!
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2013, 12:11:06 am »
I agree, the problem is archers don't get rewarded for their teamwork since they aren't close enough to benefit from shared damage on a target :)

never take the shot

Offline Carac

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Raven_Carac
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2013, 12:47:04 am »
Because the devs don't give two flying shits if it isn't 2h
best shitstain NA

Offline Tayzzer

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • What?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC
  • Game nicks: Zaylo_Unicorns, Zeyro_AoW, Talony_Vanguard_Of_AoW
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2013, 01:22:00 am »
It's just that some classes are enjoyable only for the guy playing it, and thoroughly annoying and lame for everyone else. Surely discouraging people from playing those classes is justified for the sake of gameplay?

AkA only play two hander so we can  have massive duels

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2013, 10:36:52 am »
Ninja backstabbing style does? :D
How often do you actually see a Ninja getting valour, huh?

Nearly never when we actually try to backstab (except Khorin when he makes it to the archer ranks and chops them all down :P )
When you see a Ninja getting valour, he sticked to the mob like a normal melee guy.

Not to mention that we don't use heavy armour (like you), we don't use a long and high damage axe (like you) and we don't play a strength oriented build (like you).

So, please, if you wanna troll us, try harder and make it at least look a bit smart next time. Now you're just looking stupid in my book.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2013, 01:38:34 pm »

Nearly never when we actually try to backstab (except Khorin when he makes it to the archer ranks and chops them all down :P )
When you see a Ninja getting valour, he sticked to the mob like a normal melee guy.

Not to mention that we don't use heavy armour (like you), we don't use a long and high damage axe (like you) and we don't play a strength oriented build (like you).

So, please, if you wanna troll us, try harder and make it at least look a bit smart next time. Now you're just looking stupid in my book.

Molly you are giving this little turd way to much attention, much more than he deserves so i suggest just ignoring him, will make you look wiser.

as for this thread. it's full of hippy bullshit  "let them play the way they want, the diveristy is what makes this mod, crap crap..." probably by the people that do it themselves and just try to justify their fggotry in this way.

fuck it give every archer auto valor, i don't give a crap anyways.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline NejStark

• Marshall
  • Renown: 918
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
    • Personal wesbite
  • Game nicks: GK_NejStark, Anything with "Nej" in it.
  • IRC nick: itsnej
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2013, 03:12:02 pm »

as for this thread. it's full of hippy bullshit  "let them play the way they want, the diveristy is what makes this mod, crap crap..." probably by the people that do it themselves and just try to justify their fggotry in this way.

(click to show/hide)
"A man on the steppe with no friends is as narrow as a finger; a man with friends is as wide as the steppe"

Offline tuttiritari

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 43
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: TUTTIRITARI
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2013, 04:49:38 pm »

This is just video game mate... I didnt't troll or say there is something wrong in ninja style :D Calm down

Offline tuttiritari

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 43
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: TUTTIRITARI
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2013, 04:57:39 pm »

Molly you are giving this little turd way to much attention, much more than he deserves so i suggest just ignoring him, will make you look wiser.

fuck it give every archer auto valor, i don't give a crap anyways.

Saying you don't give a crap and commenting here doesn't make you look wiser.  :|
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:20:13 pm by tuttiritari »