Author Topic: What is the point?  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Hyroshi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: What is the point?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 07:10:34 pm »
PPP=PPP

Piss poor planning= Piss Poor Performance.

How about reading the forums, using common sense and NOT buying the uber top of the line equipment. I swear some people need a 24/7 hand holder.
"Heaven is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -Stephen Hawking

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 07:59:16 pm »
There is a lot of mid-level armor that provides close to the same benefits as high end at a fraction of the cost. 

Also, archers shouldn't carry that much weight anyways... so really you should slowly be gaining money anyways since your most expensive pieces are probably your bow and then cheap armor.

Also... you should always have some gold stashed away to deal with unlucky 1x streaks.  Early on I was irked by repair costs, but then once you balance out your equipment you'll start rolling in the dough, or at least will have enough to balance out through the unlucky times.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 08:23:08 pm »
I don't know why everyone has to piss on someone new to this mod. The more people playing, the better.

At least some people gave good advice. You will need a little nest egg before you can maintain the repair costs. You do not need a lot. I maintain around 50k, which may seem like a lot to you now. Its not. Unless this patch changed something, repair costs are 5% of item cost, with around 4-5% chance of breaking per item. Most people have a cheap loadout for x1, maybe a medium loadout for x2-x4 and bring out the expensive shit for x5. Based on your own chosen build, you will need to figure out that balance for yourself. Heavy cavalry and heavy armor guys are the most expensive. Archers are probably the cheapest because archers should be wearing very light or no armor. My suggestion is to use a powerful weapon and very little armor to make your nest egg.

"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 08:42:30 pm »
Katana agi spammer whore - cheap and effective

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 09:17:42 pm »
Nah, you're just new and haven't found the good balance for your gear yet. I just started another new char yesterday, played him to lvl 22 and have all the gear I need with a healthy sum of gold in reserve. The important thing is to not aim too high. Low-medium tier gear (3-6k armor, 1-2k helmet etc.) offer great value for your gold.

Just take a moment to think what you really want to do instead of buying all kinds of cool gear and then going bankrupt. It's difficult at first but very rewarding when you get the hang of it. Always keep like 3-5k gold buffer that balances out your victories and defeats.

"The players who have millions" are actually very few. Sure, there are some but not certainly enough to ruin your pleasure.

This mainly. I have a six digit figure of wealth for my main character, and even with the new patch that figure always rises. Non of my characters have a "reserve" that is slowly draining.

The only character I have money problems with is my Cavalry, but he merely has to just ditch the horse in maps like cities, and then bring it out again in cav friendly maps and I am golden. Also, learn to play with the multipliers. On average you will have about a X2 all things considered even (in battle that is, Siege mode things are extremely unpredictable and I avoid it for money and XP, just play it for fun). You should be able to support about 35K worth of gear and break even most of the time, just have about ten or thirty thousand in reserve to compensate of "bad days" (don't worry that money should creep back up on good days). For higher multipliers break out the good stuff, if you find yourself stuck on X1 then use 30K or less gear if you can not break past it for hours.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 09:21:37 pm »
Are you trolling?  Seriously its really hard not to make money as an archer consistently, doesn't matter how many months you have played, you still are constantly gaining not losing money as its one of the cheapest classes to maintain equipment-wise.  Maybe you are trying to wear really heavy armor while being an archer, which is a mistake in the first place because archer's weapon proficiency (affects speed, damage, and accuracy) is heavily affected by the weight of their armor, (x3 for helmet weight, x2 for glove weight) so you proabbly don't want to wear a helmet and wear at most 10 lbs. of body armor preferably less, and max .5 weight gauntlets.  Even at x1 you will steadily make far more money than you could ever need.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:23:04 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 09:27:56 pm »
I try and keep myself at 7 lbs but that is merely personal preference, and I use the most expensive arrows and bow in the game and I still make money even on X1 (Though the two slot items breaking twice does make me wince for upkeep, but still this only further proves my point).
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 10:07:20 pm »
  Hang in there man, this game certainly is frustrating for new players. It is one of those games where you make your own luck, and you get what you put into it. Focus on staying alive and watching your teammates backs, they will love you for it. I usually hover around 35k equip (you can see the total cost of your loadout on the website), which gets me medium armor and a good weapon on foot, or light armor and a courser mounted. This lets me make gold at a slow rate, but steadily.  Every few maps I will treat myself to a round or two in full bling gear, and it makes those rounds all the more fun.
  If you are looking for folks to play with and offer advice hit me up with a pm and we can go to the duel server and practice. -Cheers!

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 11:21:30 pm »
Go dedicated archer. Bow, arrows, and MAYBE a zero slot weapon like a dagger, Hammer, or Pickaxe. Use light armor. Cloth. Rich outfit. Pelt Coat. Try to keep your loadout cost under 20k per 1x you have. Through strategies like these I've managed to save over 600k in the few months I've been playing, while still using great weapons.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Hunter_the_Honourable

• Count
  • Renown: 229
  • Infamy: 178
  • Killing fairy riders for the good of cRPG.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-fairy riders.
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 11:26:41 pm »
If you think archers have problems keeping money you clearly haven't played cav.
How can you trust People?
They are Humans
I never trust Humans.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 11:54:24 pm »
You mean it stops new players from doing this.   I asked how much money people had in game and some of them have millions so I very much doubt they will care about any upkeep costs.

some ppl have millions but I think many more have 100k or less and are trying to keep it at the same level

no matter how much money u have you cant continuously use top gear bcos u will run out

the people with millions probably gain money each round

Offline yakri

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 12:53:38 am »
well, it's not fun to be a low lvl peasant
within 4 hours you should be having fun (lvl 20+ and a proper build)

How is that normally possible in this mod? I barely made it to 20ish in 5+ hours during the uber-crazy free exp spree with DTV.

PS. This does effect new players drastically more than it effects old players.

Older players have 'loomed items, are much higher level, and play with clans of similar players. Additionally, you get new gear much faster than you get more levels. Because of this, new players stay useless much longer than they otherwise would. If they buy good items, they start losing money quickly and can't use them. If they don't buy good items, they literally can't kill a decent high level player 99 times out of 100.

Basically, the penalty is much harsher to those who are just starting, even if you don't take accumulated gold from the past into account.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:58:34 am by yakri »

Offline Murchad

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 10:02:05 pm »
Here is some advice for how to avoid burnout on this game:
If you aren't having fun don't play.
I play because i think it is fun game

get involved, talk to people in game. work with team.

Roleplay, at low levels it is fun just to roleplay.  I sometimes change my char into a wandering monk with a torch and staff.
last night i made my polearms char look like a orc with face creator and was using a scythe because i was lagging too bad to be really effective. i had fun and actually didnt do too bad.

Plan your characters. before making your character plan out what skills and stats you are going to put all your points into. if you are not sure what is good ask. there are many threads on here offering advice.

Try out diffent types of char
if you continue to play the game and start retireing don't always stay the same weapon type, if you think one type of character is overpowered , try it out yourself.

Offline SepChu

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 02:49:05 pm »
My point is I can not wear all this gear unless I am over x2 mulitplier as I lose too much gold.  Last game alone cost me over 500 gold and I only made 200, I can not sustain this level of loss. 

Right, the idea is to prevent people from all being heavy tin-cans ALL the time.  Plan ahead when you're picking what to wear. If it's the first round, don't be afraid to sport peasant clothing. If you know your team will probably win the next round try to equip better items to help keep/gain a higher multiplier. 
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 03:30:30 pm »
I did spec wrong as I was initially going for cav with one hander as thats what I enjoy in M&B.  I changed my mind when I saw the horse prices, now I am speccing as archer.

Well, it's not impossible to go cav straight away, but you'll have to compromise a bit. Go light armor and stick with the cheaper horses. As a dedicated 1h cav myself, when the upkeep patch hit, i immediately switched my Cataphract horse for my good old Steppe horse and i've been doing fine, money wise.
I don't make a profit, but i don't lose money either. I can usually afford 70 to 80k of equipment without losing any money. The trick is to win more rounds then you lose. You can achieve this my discussing tactics with your teammates while dead, using the flags from the batallions to show people where to go and generally just stick together and encourage your team to really try and win. I wrote a guide on using tactics ages ago, it's under the guides section.

Going archer for a generation is a good way to start, because you'll make a nice profit and you'll be able to buy more stuff. Once you get a buffer of 50k, you can try some of the more expensive items and horses. But if you stick to the rouncey or steppe horse and don't use that mount every round, going cav is afforable too.

How is that normally possible in this mod? I barely made it to 20ish in 5+ hours during the uber-crazy free exp spree with DTV.
The gold and xp gain on DTV is 1/3 of the gold and xp on Siege and Battle mode. That explains that, probably. Still, 5 hours to level 20ish isn't that bad, right? If you get lucky on a battle mode and get to run an x5 streak a few times, you can probably do it in four hours or less.

Older players have 'loomed items, are much higher level, and play with clans of similar players. Additionally, you get new gear much faster than you get more levels. Because of this, new players stay useless much longer than they otherwise would. If they buy good items, they start losing money quickly and can't use them. If they don't buy good items, they literally can't kill a decent high level player 99 times out of 100.

Basically, the penalty is much harsher to those who are just starting, even if you don't take accumulated gold from the past into account.
Is isn't really true. On my main character i retire often, so half the time i'm level 30, a quarter of the time i'm between 25 and 30 and a quarter of the time i'm below level 25 (which i consider to be a lowbie). Many of the 'older' player do that. I also make a lot of alts and with those i have to start on 0 gold like everybody else.
There are a handful of level 32 players and a couple of level 33, but that's it. Basicly, level 31 is the soft cap and not many players go beyond that. In theory, players can reach level 35, but that would take months of playing and doesn't really give that big of an advantage.

Pre patch, the gold gain was incredibly slow, so there were no real rich players. So no fortunes were inherited from the pre patch era. It's much easier to make vast sums of money after the upkeep costs were introduced.

New players stop being useless after a couple of evenings of playing. If you average x2, you are level 25 in 13 hours, at which point you have earned plenty of gold (10-15k) to buy good equipment.

Also, people seem to forget many of the lower tier weapons are actually really good. Take a look at the normal (not Elite) Scimitar for example. It's not top tier but stats-wise it can compete with the most expensive weapons. Or take a look at the Flanged Mace. I consider that to be the best blunt weapon for 1h. Yet it only costs a measilly 3k. You can earn that weapon the first night you play and be able to afford a reasonable shield with that.
I have two friends who started playing mere days ago and they both can hold their own already and are making kills. They are killing decent, high level players already.

The problem here, i think, is that some new players tend to go for top tier equipment before they are ready for it. Like another guy said, get a little nest egg, a buffer of 50k gold or something, before you buy the more espensive stuff. And if you are still trying out new gear and equipment, don't go for the most expensive stuff just yet. First go for the cheaper stuff and try that. Some of it is really good.