Author Topic: What is the point?  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Longshanks

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
What is the point?
« on: May 02, 2011, 04:16:56 pm »
I just bought Warband yesterday and downloaded this mod as I hear it's great.  I spent about 4 hours dying a lot as a peasant but was able to level up to about 20 and buy some quite good gear.  I then equipped all this geat that took me 4 hours to grind only to have to remove it all after 5 rounds as I was losing so much gold in repairs.  So now I am back with all my peasant gear as it's all I can afford to wear......I nominate this game to be the most pointless waste of my time in 22 years of gaming.  :lol:

Offline Joelturuz

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ratchis
Re: What is the point?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 04:22:15 pm »
I just bought Warband yesterday and downloaded this mod as I hear it's great.  I spent about 4 hours dying a lot as a peasant but was able to level up to about 20 and buy some quite Expensive gear.  I then equipped all this geat that took me 4 hours to grind only to have to remove it all after 5 rounds as I was losing so much gold in repairs.  So now I am back with all my peasant gear as it's all I can afford to wear......I nominate this game to be the most pointless waste of my time in 22 years of gaming.  :lol:
Use cheaper gear. Problem solved.
If not, then feel free to join those who whine about repair costs. I and quite a few other players do just fine without loosing any gold.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 04:24:28 pm »
You're trolling, right? Playing a mod for a couple of hours then coming in here talking like you know the game?

After more than a thousand hours of playing i can say that you, sir, are wrong. cRPG is great. Wasting time? Yes. Fun? Absolutely.

Keep an eye on your multiplier, get it up to x5  and keep it there with tactics and teamplay and you'll be able to easily afford 70-80k of equipment without losing money on the repairs.

If you are incapable of good teamplay and tactics and communicating with teammates and making plans, just stick with your light to medium armor.

Another tip: change the attitude. I've been gaming for just as long as you, but that doesn't change the fact that your opinion is based on only a few hours of playing. Next time, just ask for a few tips politely.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 04:26:57 pm »
I just bought Warband yesterday and downloaded this mod as I hear it's great.  I spent about 4 hours dying a lot as a peasant but was able to level up to about 20 and buy some quite good gear.  I then equipped all this geat that took me 4 hours to grind only to have to remove it all after 5 rounds as I was losing so much gold in repairs.  So now I am back with all my peasant gear as it's all I can afford to wear......I nominate this game to be the most pointless waste of my time in 22 years of gaming.  :lol:

At the mo it's impossible to wear top gear all the time.

You can wear medium armour + good weapon most/all of the time.

If you took the time to make a post in here then I don't think you're done with the mod just yet.

Offline Longshanks

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 04:34:32 pm »
What kind of attitude do you expect?  I spent the best part of yesterday being bored at being one shotted and being unable to do much damage.  I saved up enough to buy a decent bow, decent arrows, modest armour and was quite excited to be able to kill people for once.  Then after 5 rounds on x1 multiplyer I was virtually bankrupt (not my fault my team were hopelessly outnumbered).  I then had to put my crap gear back on for about 15 rounds just to get a few thousand gold in my bank.  I was just about to put my good gear back on but thought "Whats the point" and thats why I posted.

It's fine all these people that have played for months when gold was easy to get, they have hundreds of thousands so they don't feel it, but new players like myself are totally gimped.  I played WOW for 6 years and did not mind the grind as you were rewarded, with this I am punnished for having good gear, it's utterly stupid and as the topic suggests, what is the point of getting good gear if you can't wear it.

Offline Falesh

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Darkfall Movies
  • Faction: Duchy of Wessex
  • Game nicks: Falesh_of_Wessex
  • IRC nick: Falesh_Wessex
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 04:44:16 pm »
I'm new and have no problem with gear. I use a decent set worth about 20k and make plenty of money with it. Using that money I can go with my best gear whenever I want to. What is the point of having non uber gear if you could wear the best all the time?

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 04:46:04 pm »
A good friend of mine started playing saturday evening. Together, we earned 20 000 gold with a couple of hours of playing.

He bought an Nordic Champion Sword, a Board Shield, Kergit Lamellar Armor, Lamellar Gauntlets, Leather Boots and a Nordic Warlord Helmet.

He still has 12 k gold left on the bank for repair costs now.

My point is this: you can easily afford medium armor and any weapon you choose. Just don't expect to be able to afford full plate armor all the time.

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Ronan PxC
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 04:46:34 pm »
Wow... You a cRPG expert already eh? HAhaha. I could play any game for a few hours and die. Doesnt mean the game is pointless. Most of us played single player before we started in on this online. I mean, how can u say it sucks before you even know how to play it? If i just bought this game and got online and said"Hey this is really easy. I got the best gear there is, I kill everything and everyone, No prob." I wouldnt play this for more than a week. If a game is simple it wont be fun. Games, like sports, are competitive. Of course the first few hours youre going to suck. Shoot, this first week or month even, youre going to get your rear end handed to you by the dedicated player whose always on. Besides all that theres choices, and a lot of 'em. You wanna throw? Do you wanna be a cav(sword, pole-arm, thrower, archer?), do wanna be an archer/xbow, or any of the other numerous options given to you? You cant just pick up one type of weapon and bam youre a god! No game is like that. Try others...

I started as a two hander. I had my big axe and my huge armor... I was getting killed by everyone. After a while I jumped on a horse and reduced my armor. Then I got one or two kills. Damn archers love horses. :P After that I dropped my big weapon and took up throwing things. Got even more kills. Then I went one handed with a shield. Got even more kills. Then I spiced it up a bit. I went one hand/ throwing. "Hey might as well have a shield" I exclaimed and so I got a cheap one. Then I was on a horse. After all that I found my style. Im a cav with a sword and shield, throwing is my back up since I cant duel well. Now I stay in the middle of the bracket when it comes to kill/death ratio. Fun stuff... Not to mention I LOVE making maps and Im still trying to make a good one. :D

My point, as well as previous posters, is dont just drop it because you really have not played it. Try something new... If that doesnt work try something else. Theres a style out there for everyone. But if youre just going to be negative dont bother posting. Whats the point?

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 04:48:47 pm »
What kind of attitude do you expect?  I spent the best part of yesterday being bored at being one shotted and being unable to do much damage.  I saved up enough to buy a decent bow, decent arrows, modest armour and was quite excited to be able to kill people for once.  Then after 5 rounds on x1 multiplyer I was virtually bankrupt (not my fault my team were hopelessly outnumbered).  I then had to put my crap gear back on for about 15 rounds just to get a few thousand gold in my bank.  I was just about to put my good gear back on but thought "Whats the point" and thats why I posted.

It's fine all these people that have played for months when gold was easy to get, they have hundreds of thousands so they don't feel it, but new players like myself are totally gimped.  I played WOW for 6 years and did not mind the grind as you were rewarded, with this I am punnished for having good gear, it's utterly stupid and as the topic suggests, what is the point of getting good gear if you can't wear it.

The age-old question that has haunted crpg players since upkeep's inception.

Basically it stops everyone wearing black plate wielding flamberges, top this, top that etc all the time. Stops cav being too overpowered too (eg either they have a good horse or good gear - hard to upkeep both).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 04:51:13 pm by RandomDude »

Offline Zergmar

• Count
  • Renown: 213
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Terrible at everything.
    • View Profile
    • indie game dev, RIP
  • Faction: Hobo
  • Game nicks: SirScumbag
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 04:55:12 pm »
well, it's not fun to be a low lvl peasant
within 4 hours you should be having fun (lvl 20+ and a proper build)

Offline Longshanks

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 04:57:05 pm »
Just because I don't agree with you does not make me negative or someone with an attitude, I respect your opinion but totally disagree with it.

I have played M&B for 2 years so am not new to the game, I am new to Warband and Crpg but as it's very close to M&B it was very easy to adapt.  I did spec wrong as I was initially going for cav with one hander as thats what I enjoy in M&B.  I changed my mind when I saw the horse prices, now I am speccing as archer.  I have a mix of gear which includes Tourney Armour, Strongbow, Elite Schimitar and some nice gloves, hat and boots, probably over 30k in value.  My point is I can not wear all this gear unless I am over x2 mulitplier as I lose too much gold.  Last game alone cost me over 500 gold and I only made 200, I can not sustain this level of loss. 

So what you are telling me is I have to wear my crap gear till I am rich enough to be able to cope with the gold loss I will have by wearing good gear.  Grind to buy the gear then grind a load more to fill up your bank so that you can wear the gear.

Offline Longshanks

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 05:01:54 pm »

Basically it stops everyone wearing black plate wielding flamberges, top this, top that etc all the time. Stops cav being too overpowered too (eg either they have a good horse or good gear - hard to upkeep both).

You mean it stops new players from doing this.   I asked how much money people had in game and some of them have millions so I very much doubt they will care about any upkeep costs. 

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 05:05:54 pm »

The assumption being "with expensive gear, you will top the scoreboard and make your team win". And this is UTTERLY FALSE. Of course low armor agistacker fans won't admit it. We want diversity, but we make all the high tier armors impossible to use :?: If you really think they are OP, fine, nerf them. But simply removing them was retarded.

Now just look around and see cheap stuff dominating. Much people don't even use up to 37k equipment, simply because they do better with less.

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 05:39:44 pm »
It's fine all these people that have played for months when gold was easy to get, they have hundreds of thousands so they don't feel it, but new players like myself are totally gimped.

Nah, you're just new and haven't found the good balance for your gear yet. I just started another new char yesterday, played him to lvl 22 and have all the gear I need with a healthy sum of gold in reserve. The important thing is to not aim too high. Low-medium tier gear (3-6k armor, 1-2k helmet etc.) offer great value for your gold.

Just take a moment to think what you really want to do instead of buying all kinds of cool gear and then going bankrupt. It's difficult at first but very rewarding when you get the hang of it. Always keep like 3-5k gold buffer that balances out your victories and defeats.

"The players who have millions" are actually very few. Sure, there are some but not certainly enough to ruin your pleasure.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 07:08:49 pm »
You mean it stops new players from doing this.   I asked how much money people had in game and some of them have millions so I very much doubt they will care about any upkeep costs.

if a player has millions 8i have that myself), it is because he enjoys playing with lgiht gear because of the speed, and therefore he will also use light gear even when he has millions. I'm still erning money because i rarely use anything heavier than byrnie; i simply dont like it.