Author Topic: Moderators in this community  (Read 5518 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: Moderators in this community
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2013, 07:53:11 pm »
+2
希腊是土耳其的狗

The hell did you minus two of us for saying nothing?

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2013, 08:20:47 pm »
+6
The hell did you minus two of us for saying nothing?

希腊是土耳其的狗, means - "you american pig, China will be prosperous"

I guess he is a bit angry about the recent hacking accusations...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Aha-ha-ha! He is minus-ing all my posts too :) Kaoklai has a nerd tantrum rage it seems, we should call his mommy so she can change his diaper asap. Kaoklai, you should turn off your daddy's notebook, and go to sleep! It's well past your sleeping time. Don't forget to drink some warm milk, and wash your butt squeaky-clean, or your mommy won't give you a "special massage" you like so much.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:32:18 pm by Armpit_Sweat »
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Kaoklai

• Tournament Champion
  • Earl
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Free Huey
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2013, 08:27:29 pm »

Offline DUKE DICKBUTT

• Baron
  • Renown: 138
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2013, 08:55:01 pm »
+8
The assumption that we are not dealing with wrongdoings, and that we are all sticking together, working against the community and laughing when they feel mistreated is simply wrong.

We take stuff like this serious, but we don't do public lynching; we have no intention of fueling flamewars, and handle matters like this internally. This starts with a talk/slap on the wrist, to more severe actions on multiple violations.

(this is more a reply in general, not to this situation per se. What I'm saying is keep reporting it when you feel mistreated, but don't expect us to take instant public actions. )

chadz, I feel like your team needs a lesson in PR.  Take this thread for example, Arathian makes a legitimate complaint.  The first person with authority to reply is Son of Odin, who presents apathy and even trolls tries to find humor in the situation.  He then says states the only way to get unbanned is to have Shik, the person who has already violated him perform the unban.  He had now not only presented no solution, but has implied there is no solution.  Now, your investor has no hope.

I hope you will consider that if your new game comes out, you will no longer be just a small group of modders.  You have taken public money and you need to start acting like a business.  In fact, since you've already taken the money and presumably spent some of it, you should start now.  You need to communicate well and outline the proper processes needed to get help.  You need to answer to your shareholders and investors, and do it in a timely manner.  When there is no response in a reasonable amount of time, you create hopelessness and it is perceived as apathy.  I've heard that finally producing patch notes was a big step for you, and it's good step towards your legitimacy.

My last word if advice is that the Community Proxy is a garbage job.  I know I am repeating myself, but what you really need is a Project Manager.  I suggest you pick someone who is already part of your team and holds crpg's interests first.  That is, if you have anyone on your team who is here to do anything other than troll the player base.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2013, 09:05:43 pm »
+2
Duke DickButt everybody, the voice of reason
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf

Offline Arathian

• Duke
  • Renown: 650
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Pick it up you white ass cracka
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisians
  • Game nicks: Arathian, schizophrenic_axe_murderer
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2013, 09:41:53 pm »
https://translate.google.com/?q=%E5%B8%8C%E8%85%8A%E6%98%AF%E5%9C%9F%E8%80%B3%E5%85%B6%E7%9A%84%E7%8B%97&aq=f&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wT

That's not racist either, of course.

Because, you know, Greeks have an endless white privilege. You see, we had slaves (and totally weren't enslaved) and colonized half the world.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2013, 09:49:38 pm »
+10
I hope you will consider that if your new game comes out, you will no longer be just a small group of modders.  You have taken public money and you need to start acting like a business.  In fact, since you've already taken the money and presumably spent some of it, you should start now.  You need to communicate well and outline the proper processes needed to get help.  You need to answer to your shareholders and investors, and do it in a timely manner.  When there is no response in a reasonable amount of time, you create hopelessness and it is perceived as apathy.  I've heard that finally producing patch notes was a big step for you, and it's good step towards your legitimacy.

You are correct. However, keep in mind that this will not change a thing for cRPG, because cRPG remains a free mod by a small group of modders and is completely unrelated to our next project.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2013, 09:56:52 pm »
+2
That's not racist either, of course.

of course it's not cause greeks arent race. Dumb greek.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2013, 10:03:56 pm »
+2
You are correct. However, keep in mind that this will not change a thing for cRPG, because cRPG remains a free mod by a small group of modders and is completely unrelated to our next project.

I really don't think you can argue that it is completely unrelated. The way you guys handle cRPG is absolutely having an influence on peoples expectations for the "next project". This can be seen by people who have decided not to support that next project at this time based on concerns they have in regards to how cRPG has been handled; once you release this new project then your actions in regards to it will be able to speak for themselves, but until then cRPG will continue to be the only thing that most of us have to judge your efforts by and while we are obviously impressed with what you guys have accomplished with cRPG we are not necessarily impressed with how you have handled a lot of community issues.

Offline DUKE DICKBUTT

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2013, 10:06:01 pm »
+3
stupid race discussion
There is hardly the time or place for any of this.  In the real world, you have a country threatening to launch possibly nuclear missiles into another country and the latter country calling out to own their own nuclear weaponry.  Nearly every race has been mistreated at some point in history, and nearly every race will be mistreated again some time in the future.  This is not a contest of who was treated best or worst.

While that is true, it will not be uncommon to look at this as your track record.  Unless you are planning on hiring a third party to moderate or administer your new game, replace your admins from the top down or at the very least bring in consultants to audit your processes, is there any reason to believe that your new game will be handled differently?  The mods and devs who are lazy, unjust or petty, will pretty much be expected to remain the same way.  Changing to a new game does not suddenly make people more virtuous, unfortunately.  Your work ethic and character is going to be challenged in the coming years, in fact, since you have taken money you will be under the microscope even more so.

I personally have my own opinions of your project, but I will keep them as my own opinions until there is more to be seen.  And I apologize that my statements in this thread may seem like threats, its not the case.  But as someone who went to school for business, these are everyday facts of life and realities.

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2013, 10:16:29 pm »
+4
(click to show/hide)
Trying to remove some of the issues will always allow for a clearer view of what happens so that we can improve, I see it personally as a television, there is just a load of white noise currently, static, nothing discernible, as we strip away the rubbish there is a picture behind it, we need someone to sift through the signals to unearth that picture. Then things can be sorted, categorised and eventually improved upon. One clear voice will help us do that.
[/quote]

This is wrong.  You should never treat the issues and should always try to find the cause of the problems and fix that.  If you treat issues then you will never know if you have actually fixed the problem and it is more than likely to come back later and often worse.  You also end up with layer upon layer of fixes, complicating the process and making it inefficient.

chadz' system was almost the same as what I described except that he had a community proxy between the crpg workers (admins, devs, mods, etc) and the community.  To me this just encourages workers not to interact with the community, isolating them further and creating even more of a "boys club" image which the community proxy has no power to change.  Yes the devs, etc will almost certainly ignore anybody trying to contact them directly, but even choosing to ignore something takes time unless you automatically ignore everything and in this case you could be ignoring important stuff. 

We've effectively had an empowered but unofficial community proxy for ages with Meow and look what happens when he goes afk.  Where Meow had authority things seem to have worked well. People would go to Meow with an issues and Meow would get somebody to deal with it.  Where Meow had powers things worked but they did not work well because Meow was the only one with these powers so without him things didn't happen.  Where Meow had no power and no authority, things were a mess but people would still ask him about it.  Now we want someone to do what Meow did but with no authority or power at all?

My change is to remove the community proxy, which straight away keeps the community and workers closer together, and instead use a Head of Support role between chadz and the Day to Day support workers.  However the Head of Support doesn't actually do the day to day stuff (although they will have access to the powers) they just oversee it, make strategic decisions and provide a link between admins and the devs.  It achieves the same aim as the proxy which is to create a buffer between the devs/chadz and day to day community issues but it doesn't remove all the direct links.

Offline Wesleysnipes

• Earl
  • Renown: 371
  • Infamy: 196
  • SQUIDDONKULIOUS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: AoW squid
  • Game nicks: Wesley
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2013, 10:28:18 pm »
+1
Great job with your last post murder! You really changed my perspective in a great way. Wow, I would hire you for my framing company as an account.
Dashing through the steppe, on a hundreds horse sleigh, o'er fields we go, laughing all the way. HOHOHO! It's Calamariclause and it's Christmas in April for the Squids.

http://www.insomniagamer.com/lp/leagueofangels/loapink/

Offline DUKE DICKBUTT

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2013, 10:35:07 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)
This is a good post and my only complaint is that I can only +1 it once.  It seems we are on the same page here.  I would call the position a Project Manager, but we are just splitting hairs here.

Great job with your last post DUKE DICKBUTT! You really changed my perspective in a great way. Wow, I would hire you for my framing company as an account.

Unfortunately, Wesley, accounting was one of the courses I neglected to take.  It would have added another semester in order for me to get my degree.

Offline Wesleysnipes

• Earl
  • Renown: 371
  • Infamy: 196
  • SQUIDDONKULIOUS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: AoW squid
  • Game nicks: Wesley
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2013, 10:37:42 pm »
+2
We have so many men and women in this community that can do such a great job maintaining cRPG. I wish they were chosen to do so.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:43:01 pm by Wesleysnipes »
Dashing through the steppe, on a hundreds horse sleigh, o'er fields we go, laughing all the way. HOHOHO! It's Calamariclause and it's Christmas in April for the Squids.

http://www.insomniagamer.com/lp/leagueofangels/loapink/